• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
When people mention that Melee gave them hand problems, I never really understood exactly what they meant. Like what I mean is which part of your hand gets damaged from playing the game? Is it the joints, muscle, etc?

Like the only pain I've gotten was two small blisters on my thumb and middle finger, but I hold the controller a bit different than normal.

I know 3 players in my scene who dropped the game cause of hand issues. And all of them played just as long and put in just as much effort into the game as I do, and I have no problems with my hands/wrists whatsoever.

Idk if it just my body or what, but I kinda always found the "Melee breaks hands" to be a bit exaggerated.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
When people mention that Melee gave them hand problems, I never really understood exactly what they meant. Like what I mean is which part of your hand gets damaged from playing the game? Is it the joints, muscle, etc?

Like the only pain I've gotten was two small blisters on my thumb and middle finger, but I hold the controller a bit different than normal.

I know 3 players in my scene who dropped the game cause of hand issues. And all of them played just as long and put in just as much effort into the game as I do, and I have no problems with my hands/wrists whatsoever.

Idk if it just my body or what, but I kinda always found the "Melee breaks hands" to be a bit exaggerated.
It might take a lot longer for your hands to wear out based on genetic predispositions, time spent using hands for other activities, past wrist injuries, etc. For these types of things its important to remember that even though many people don't suffer these issues, there are those who do, and a single case study (your hands) doesn't necessarily reflect the experience of others.

And to answer your first question, it is generally a problem with overuse of joints in the fingers or wrist.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Hey guys! If you haven't seen it yet, take a look at my app, SmashPad:

iOS app store link

I just released in this last week and I'd like to think it's kind of a must-have for competitive players.

Trailer

Twitter
Oh wow I actually meant to get that but forgot.

While you're here I might as well ask a question: Do the reference tables (frame data, player stats, etc.) work without internet?

I was looking through the pictures of the app just now and saw a section for adding notes to each character. That's hype as ****. Installing it now.

EDIT: Tfw you don't have the right version of iOS.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Oh wow I actually meant to get that but forgot.

While you're here I might as well ask a question: Do the reference tables (frame data, player stats, etc.) work without internet?
All of the frame data and frame data images are available offline. Need internet for ATs since they're stored server side and take up a lot of space.

Player stats cache (view it once, should store offline for viewing later), but right now my data source (GarPR) stopped updating and shut down so I'm working to get a new one online...sigh.

I actually think most people will find themselves using the live streaming stuff the most :) It's the part I use daily.

Last edited:

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Sooo....

Wavedash or PWL > PC drops....

Why does no one use this amazing way to quickly edge hog? The walking part is not needed.

It's not that technically demanding, with Luigi or Marth seems it's a very fast way to get ledge. And with Link or Ganon you can SH PWL pretty far into PC drop < might be his fastest way for them to grab ledge. Seems invaluable for slow characters with good easy PWLs (or high-ish traction)...or any character with good WD distance.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I think it's a frame perfect input for Ganon tho, sucks. Perfect wd forward +smash turn, perfect wd backwards ff to ledge is plenty fast, so is wd forward +brief moonwalk, ff to ledge.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
does anybody know where measurements for the legal stages can be found? stuff regarding melee units or whatever they're called in general would be nice too.

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
So I have Melee on Gamecube and stuff and I'm pretty good, I usually play Smash 4 but I'm moving to melee because I was in that scene first and I wanna play it again. Issue is I don't have any access to netplay. Is it worth playing this game competitively with the only human interaction being my brother and going to locals until I get a PC?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So I have Melee on Gamecube and stuff and I'm pretty good, I usually play Smash 4 but I'm moving to melee because I was in that scene first and I wanna play it again. Issue is I don't have any access to netplay. Is it worth playing this game competitively with the only human interaction being my brother and going to locals until I get a PC?
Where in NC do you reside? NC has several scenes, pretty active state.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a plan! I went to my first Smash 4 Tourny last week and it was quite an experience.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
rip me i guess
Additionally, there's a Greensboro tourney on the 28th. I second Ace's recommendation of joining the NC Melee Facebook page; that's where you'll find pretty much all of the relevant tournaments. You live in a great area for rapid improvement because Greensville also has a Bi-Weekly called "Gate City Smash" (RIP SNS; RTP isn't the same without you).

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Additionally, there's a Greensboro tourney on the 28th. I second Ace's recommendation of joining the NC Melee Facebook page; that's where you'll find pretty much all of the relevant tournaments. You live in a great area for rapid improvement because Greensville also has a Bi-Weekly called "Gate City Smash" (RIP SNS; RTP isn't the same without you).
Yeah i went to that greensboro one for meteor smash monthly but now my only issue is getting a way there and back :p

BEHR

Smash Hero
Gate City Smash is in Greensboro,not Greenville. (I am also one of the TOs for the tournament series)

Check out our Group for the Triad Region of NC.(Just make a request)
You'll find any information,regarding any events Melee related there for our region. Also asheboro is a really good place to play Melee, has a lot of seasoned players who are more than willing to help you along the way if need be. Also they are pretty skilled and experienced.

Triad NC Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TriadNCMelee/

North Carolina Melee:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/northcarolina.melee/

Facebook Event Page for the Next GCITY on 02/28
https://www.facebook.com/events/119253488460501/

J Jink8

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Lol sorry, I meant Greensboro. I sometimes get the Greens mixed up, even though they're on opposite sides of the state.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Gate City Smash is in Greensboro,not Greenville. (I am also one of the TOs for the tournament series)

Check out our Group for the Triad Region of NC.(Just make a request)
You'll find any information,regarding any events Melee related there for our region. Also asheboro is a really good place to play Melee, has a lot of seasoned players who are more than willing to help you along the way if need be. Also they are pretty skilled and experienced.

Triad NC Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TriadNCMelee/

North Carolina Melee:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/northcarolina.melee/

Facebook Event Page for the Next GCITY on 02/28
https://www.facebook.com/events/119253488460501/

J Jink8
Thank you so much !

Jesus!

Smash Cadet

my middle finger that i use for shielding/ l cancelling hurts after a day

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Reaching 100% stability on 20XXTE seems far off, not even mentioning tournament use. Is it just Dan Salvato working on it?

Top Bottom