• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
A special message from our boy, Christmas Roy

"Chestnuts roasting on an open PH1R3...."

Merry Chrimbus everyone, and Happy Festivus for the restofus.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
lol @ECHOnce I went back to answer your question, of who the group is, but I do believe the Melee v. ISIS thread has been deleted.

I guess I'll just say here that MIOM was hacked by a terrorist group and cross my fingers the mod who deleted my thread doesn't notice me here.

Screenshot_2015-12-25-20-03-39.png

Also, apparently they took over a New York local healthcare website in May.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Anyone here used to smoke?

How you deal with the nicotine withdrawal when in the middle of a set?

ofmars

Smash Rookie
hi again, so i found this guide called jesse's guide and have been playing melee without the disc lo its 20xx. and it was free! even has 2 extra pages of stages. like marjoas mask, smash4 battlefield, and wario ware. my friend and i have been doing falco vs dk for days. love this game

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Still going through the grind my man.

It's weird cause I know i'm improving and all, yet sometimes it feels like I ain't. lol
Yeah, that happens sometimes. I'm going through a phase of "Wow, I'm starting to get a bit rusty" because I haven't played more than a couple hours with anyone since mid December, but I'm getting back into the swing of things now that Christmas break is over. Working on getting tech back to 100% before going to a tourney on Saturday.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Alright guys, serious time.

I just watched Westballz vs Chu Dat at Xanadu, and I think there's somethings that needs to be done in order to save the meta because things have gone too far. We need to ban Fox's shine.

I saw Westballz kill nana in 4 shines. That doesn't take any skill. Chu Dat doesn't deserve to lose his nana's stocks like that. And did you see Nintendude vs Mango at Genesis 3? Mango never would've won without shine. All you have to do is press down b. There is no way Mango deserved that win. Seriously, Fox is a ****ty, broken character who will continue to be toxic to the community as long as we allow such a no skill, cheesy move.

Let's get this done.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Alright guys, serious time.

I just watched Westballz vs Chu Dat at Xanadu, and I think there's somethings that needs to be done in order to save the meta because things have gone too far. We need to ban Fox's shine.

I saw Westballz kill nana in 4 shines. That doesn't take any skill. Chu Dat doesn't deserve to lose his nana's stocks like that. And did you see Nintendude vs Mango at Genesis 3? Mango never would've won without shine. All you have to do is press down b. There is no way Mango deserved that win. Seriously, Fox is a ****ty, broken character who will continue to be toxic to the community as long as we allow such a no skill, cheesy move.

Let's get this done.
That's a good one, man. Lmao

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I know you are joking, but....

As long as ICs have wobbling I say they deserve everything that's coming to them. Both shines are pretty broken but not worth banning concerning the rest of the cast.

The only reason Wobbling isn't universally banned like it used to be? Because characters like Peach and Fox can shred Nana's AI in a matter of seconds.

The saving grace for most braindead IC players is that 99% of players aren't intelligent enough to remember that Nana is only a low lvl CPU after all and reacts and acts in a very predictable manner. So what Mango and Westballz do so effeciently; anyone can do, but they don't for some reason. I agree with Mango that ICs are pretty much a guaranteed win with a few characters, unfortunately for the rest of the cast it goes in the whole opposite direction because of their grab glitch. Which makes them horribly unbalanced, shouldn't have to pick ANOTHER character like Peach or Fox just to win against ICs.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Gotta switch nana to level 9 of course.

^^ obviously joking but I about lost my **** when I found out the CPU level dictates nana's AI.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean IC's have pretty bad match ups to all the top eight characters (assuming Falcon is eighth) but Sheik, and then I've still seen them struggle against Samus and Ganon, so I wouldn't say you have to use Peach or Fox to beat them at all. Maybe if you're a Pikachu or a Roy main you can't do the matchup.

But yeah I'm mostly just tired of hearing crybabies talk about how wobbling is broken and needs to be banned because Nintendude took out their precious King, or whoever else.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I have a lot of respect for Wobbles, Fly, Chu, and Nintendude. They have put the work in and actually have style and hand-off/de-sync stuff that they invented and use in bracket. Fly very rarely wobbles, I think I can probably count 100s of instances where he obviously could have wobbled but didn't. I've seen him sort of defend wobbling on here, but it's quite odd that in actual usage he avoids it and only calls upon it in desperate moments.

Basically without wobbles ICs would still do fine against the 90% of the cast. They really only need wobbles to win against Fox, Peach and maybe YL. I do think they actually REALLY need it for those MUs, AND the first 2 are very common at majors. But I wouldn't feel sorry for them if it was banned again, heck there are 16+ other characters that can't really even compete with the top tiers let alone Fox or Peach PLUS they don't have some amazing glitch/exploit to help their crappiness.

I realize I'm in the minority in these recent years, but I think about it from time and time and think how bizarre it is that it's become this PC "don't ask or mention it" kind of taboo topic.

Sakurai and the dev team are no doubt embarrassed every-time they see the glitch used, and probably even more so that the community is now championing it.

People from other FGCs, even those that are open-mined veterans don't understand why it's not banned still and disapprove of the mechanic.

Newcomers that see it happening for the first time don't understand how it's legal, and people watching usually comment in mass about how it's a hype killer (to those ICs main that only wobble and abuse it). In general Sheik, ICs, and Puff seem to kill a lot of hype and potential for new Melee fans. I think these 3 characters can be quite interesting and exciting, but they all have tools and strats that can allow for really lame play which 90% of their users abuse.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
To me, banning wobbling is like a slippery slope. IC's aren't unbalanced by any means, and in my opinion you shouldn't be banning things because they don't look good to new or non players. Because if that's the case we might as well ban every character but Fox, Falco, and Falcon, and it sounds like a ridiculous conclusion I'm drawing but I've heard new people say they wish Sheik, Puff, and Peach weren't allowed because they are boring and the spectator is the most important person.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
To me, banning wobbling is like a slippery slope. IC's aren't unbalanced by any means, and in my opinion you shouldn't be banning things because they don't look good to new or non players. Because if that's the case we might as well ban every character but Fox, Falco, and Falcon, and it sounds like a ridiculous conclusion I'm drawing but I've heard new people say they wish Sheik, Puff, and Peach weren't allowed because they are boring and the spectator is the most important person.
No you miss my point entirely and you are choosing to respond to like 1 observation thrown in at the end.

And that's not anything I'd ever support.

It WAS banned for a very long time at majors and nationals. And it WAS banned until recently by Juggleguy (BIG HOUSE TO, etc), still is in a lot of Midwest and Canada (as well some other places)

It was banned because it's clearly and glitch and exploit. Something that the dev team would obviously take out immediately if possible. If this game was patchable it would have been out of the game no questions as soon as it reared it's head.

I honestly don't care but that's only because the characters I play don't have too many issues with wobbling, and there is only 1 or 2 ICs mains I ever run into locally and regionally. But I agree with the old mentality.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If we care about what the devs would take out then why don't we play Brawl

And in Brawl the IC's 0-death was even worse, so that's actually a terrible argument

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
If we care about what the devs would take out then why don't we play Brawl

And in Brawl the IC's 0-death was even worse, so that's actually a terrible argument
Because that's a different game, not the most recent version of the same game. Asking why someone plays Melee and not Brawl is like asking why people play Third Strike and not SF4; one is a fast, smooth, fun game, and the other is not.

EDIT: Also, the people that made Melee and the people who made Brawl are not the same.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I don't even see wobbling as a glitch. Not getting grabbed is a pretty valuable skill to master.
It's a free Internet you can have the opinion that you don't see wobbling as a glitch. But in programming it is literally a glitch/bug by definition that can be exploited (I believe all the Melee wikis even categorize it under bugs/glitches ). If the dev team knew about it it would have been fixed immediately, and if they could patch it they no doubt would remove it (and I'm sure the vast majority of players would agree with their decision or not argue against it)

I guess I just have a differenet viewpoint than others nowadays. Any top pirority glitch/bug that would be fixed by the official developers in a patch I think shouldn't be used in official tournaments. That just makes sense to me, with ICs they'd be the first to be re-worked and the Freeze glitch and wobbling would be at the top of the change list for sure.

I realize people will keep arguing against me here, so I promise that is last I'll say on the subject. (counter-points haven't been very compelling anyways)

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Because that's a different game, not the most recent version of the same game. Asking why someone plays Melee and not Brawl is like asking why people play Third Strike and not SF4; one is a fast, smooth, fun game, and the other is not.

EDIT: Also, the people that made Melee and the people who made Brawl are not the same.
You're right but that wasn't really the point of what I was saying.

My point was that if we were to play the game as the developers intended it to be played it would look nothing like the current meta. I can't imagine Sakurai looking at Armada vs Leffen Fox dittos and thinking, "Yes, this is exactly what I wanted in my game" so to say that we shouldn't allow wobbling because the devs wouldn't have liked it is kinda silly.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It's a free Internet you can have the opinion that you don't see wobbling as a glitch. But in programming it is literally a glitch/bug by definition that can be exploited (I believe all the Melee wikis even categorize it under bugs/glitches ). If the dev team knew about it it would have been fixed immediately, and if they could patch it they no doubt would remove it (and I'm sure the vast majority of players would agree with their decision or not argue against it)

I guess I just have a differenet viewpoint than others nowadays. Any top pirority glitch/bug that would be fixed by the official developers in a patch I think shouldn't be used in official tournaments. That just makes sense to me, with ICs they'd be the first to be re-worked and the Freeze glitch and wobbling would be at the top of the change list for sure.

I realize people will keep arguing against me here, so I promise that is last I'll say on the subject. (counter-points haven't been very compelling anyways)
In programming it isn't a bug, it's a design flaw. There isn't anything going wrong with the code and it's executing as intended, but it just so happens that the opponent is put in stun lock (because the game designers thought that Nana's jab and Popo's pummel). Something like the freeze glitch is a bug because the code is being exploited to cause an unintended outcome, but wobbling is just hitstun from pummel combined with hitstun from another character's jab. Drillshining is guaranteed in doubles if Fox's teammate grabs an opponent, so do you think we should ban that, too?
You're right but that wasn't really the point of what I was saying.

My point was that if we were to play the game as the developers intended it to be played it would look nothing like the current meta. I can't imagine Sakurai looking at Armada vs Leffen Fox dittos and thinking, "Yes, this is exactly what I wanted in my game" so to say that we shouldn't allow wobbling because the devs wouldn't have liked it is kinda silly.
I'm not arguing that that we should ban wobbling; I think wobbling should stay tournament-legal. I was just correcting flawed logic.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
In programming it isn't a bug, it's a design flaw. There isn't anything going wrong with the code and it's executing as intended, but it just so happens that the opponent is put in stun lock (because the game designers thought that Nana's jab and Popo's pummel). Something like the freeze glitch is a bug because the code is being exploited to cause an unintended outcome, but wobbling is just hitstun from pummel combined with hitstun from another character's jab. Drillshining is guaranteed in doubles if Fox's teammate grabs an opponent, so do you think we should ban that, too?
Brother I code HTML, C++, obj-C as well ast iOS and actionscript. You are out of your depth here.

It is a glitch, it's not intended and it can be exploited as a vulnerability in the coding.

It would be taken out by the programmers if it had been caught. A glitch or bug can be a design flaw, in this case it applies. It's not "executing as intended" what an aboslutely ridiculous thing to say, they did not intend for ICs to have a infinite grab 0-death.

Wobbling is more difficult to set up than Freeze glitch, but that doesn't make it any less of a gltich and exploit.

You're doubles only drill shining example is a very poor comparison, I'm sure you realize this.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Brother I code HTML, C++, obj-C as well ast iOS and actionscript.

It is a glitch, it's not intended and it can be exploited as a vulnerability in the coding.

It would be taken out by the programmers if it had been caught. A glitch or bug can be a design flaw, in this case it applies. It's not "executing as intended" what an aboslutely ridiculous thing to say, they did not intend for ICs to have a infinite grab 0-death.

Wobbling is more difficult to set up than Freeze glitch, but that doesn't make it any less of a gltich and exploit.

You're doubles only drill shining example is a very poor comparison, I'm sure you realize this.
Brother I code in VB, C++, C# (w/ XNA), and Java. I've taken an AP-level computer science course and plan to major in CS when I get to college.

It's not a glitch, it's properly executing code. Nana's jab is giving the hard-coded amount of hitstun, and so is Popo's pummel. It just so happens that they will put someone in stunlock if they are desynced and perform these moves with precise timing. In this instance, I would call wobbling a design error; a logic error wouldn't be appropriate since the technique is producing the expected result.

My point is that it's not a glitch and it's in the game, so it should be legal. Sure my doubles drillshine comparison might be a bit silly, but that's just another example of stunlock. If you consider stunlock to be a glitch, drillshining (which can be done on the tree in Stadium, by the way) should be banned.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Brother I code in VB, C++, C# (w/ XNA), and Java. I've taken an AP-level computer science course and plan to major in CS when I get to college.

It's not a glitch, it's properly executing code. Nana's jab is giving the hard-coded amount of hitstun, and so is Popo's pummel. It just so happens that they will put someone in stunlock if they are desynced and perform these moves with precise timing. In this instance, I would call wobbling a design error; a logic error wouldn't be appropriate since the technique is producing the expected result.

My point is that it's not a glitch and it's in the game, so it should be legal. Sure my doubles drillshine comparison might be a bit silly, but that's just another example of stunlock. If you consider stunlock to be a glitch, drillshining (which can be done on the tree in Stadium, by the way) should be banned.

The big difference is that I do it on a professional level for a living. You are learning it, and think you know it all already. Have you even done game programming or anything object-oriented? If you've done stuff actually with XNA to a finished product I would assume you'd know this stuff.

The reasoning you give for Freeze glitch being a glitch/bug can be directly applied to wobbling ("Freeze Gltich is a bug because the code is being exploited to cause an unintended outcome") yet in the same sentence you change your own definition to fit your argument for wobbling.

" "Glitching" is the practice of players exploiting faults in a video game's programming to achieve tasks that give them an unfair advantage in the game, over NPC's or other players, such as running through walls or defying the game's physics. "

Its a physical and game mechanics glitch having to do with the in game assets and objects in combination with a vulnerability in the code. Same as the Freeze Glitch.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The big difference is that I do it on a professional level for a living. You are learning it, and think you know it all already. Have you even done game programming or anything object-oriented?
Yeah, I took a course in game development and have coded multiple games in XNA, and am getting started in Unity. I was given the information that a glitch is a malfunction in the program, while an exploit is bending mechanics to serve a purpose. I've been doing object-oriented programming for a couple years now and doubt that I could have made any games without it lol.

The reasoning you give for Freeze glitch being a glitch/bug can be directly applied to wobbling ("Freeze Gltich is a bug because the code is being exploited to cause an unintended outcome") yet in the same sentence you change your own definition to fit your argument for wobbling.
The difference is that one causes the game to malfunction, while the other is an exploit in mechanics that were intentionally put into the game. It's like the difference between the yo-yo glitch and drillshining (sorry for bringing up drillshining so much, but it's the only other thing in the game that stunlocks).

" "Glitching" is the practice of players exploiting faults in a video game's programming to achieve tasks that give them an unfair advantage in the game, over NPC's or other players, such as running through walls or defying the game's physics. "

Its a physical and game mechanics glitch having to do with the in game assets and objects in combination with a vulnerability in the code. Same as the Freeze Glitch.
The fault isn't in the game's programming, the fault is in the game's design. If you are in the industry, you should know the difference.

Also, if you are in the industry, you should know that HTML isn't a language.

EDIT: Also also, I'm not sure if I'd cite Wikipedia. If I wanted to, I could change your definition of "glitching" right now. Not super reliable.

EDIT 2: Also also also, I'm sorry if the "if you are in the industry" statements sounded a bit mean-spirited. I was just a bit surprised that you are in the industry and don't know the difference between a glitch and an exploit (and that while certain situations can be both, they are certainly not the same thing).

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yeah, I took a course in game development and have coded multiple games in XNA, and am getting started in Unity. I was given the information that a glitch is a malfunction in the program, while an exploit is bending mechanics to serve a purpose. I've been doing object-oriented programming for a couple years now and doubt that I could have made any games without it lol.

The difference is that one causes the game to malfunction, while the other is an exploit in mechanics that were intentionally put into the game. It's like the difference between the yo-yo glitch and drillshining (sorry for bringing up drillshining so much, but it's the only other thing in the game that stunlocks).

The fault isn't in the game's programming, the fault is in the game's design. If you are in the industry, you should know the difference.

Also, if you are in the industry, you should know that HTML isn't a language.

EDIT: Also also, I'm not sure if I'd cite Wikipedia. If I wanted to, I could change your definition of "glitching" right now. Not super reliable.
This is getting hilarious. C'mon man you can't be serious...

Sorry Spak but half the things you say here are flat out wrong.

HTML is a language......the L at the end you know what that stands for? LANGUAGE.
It is the critical component to web-developing with other tools in conjunction with javascript, php, SQL, and so on.

So you trying to stand on that throwaway point makes me think responding might be a waste of time here on out (awaiting to see more propoganda techniques try to be used). Just think for a second and consider how much you don't know yet. I've been through college level CS courses, that curriculum and those projects are like 2% of what is actually required in practice at an actual company. You are guided, told what to do, and you churn out tech demos and things that have been done before 1000s of times by 1000s of students in pretty much the same exact way. If you think some college courses = working for 5+ years coding and designing AFTER getting a degree.....let me know now so I can stop replying.

And you can try and change the glitch/glitching definition if you want, but you won't be able to. I'm guessing you reference Wikipedia a ton, so there's another point of hypocrisy to fit the bias of your argument. Anything you'd write in there would no doubt be even less credible than what 1000s (including the moderators who are usually industry professionals) before you that actually know what they are talking about have decided upon.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
This is getting hilarious. C'mon man you can't be serious...

Sorry Spak but half the things you say here are flat out wrong.

HTML is a language......the L at the end you know what that stands for? LANGUAGE.
It is the critical component to web-developing with other tools in conjunction with javascript, php, SQL, and so on.
If you don't believe me, look it up.
So you trying to stand on that throwaway point makes me think responding might be a waste of time here on out (awaiting to see more propoganda techniques try to be used). Just think for a second and consider how much you don't know yet. I've been through college level CS courses, that curriculum and those projects are like 2% of what is actually required in practice at an actual company. You are guided, told what to do, and you churn out tech demos and things that have been done before 1000s of times by 1000s of students in pretty much the same exact way. If you think some college courses = working for 5+ years coding and designing AFTER getting a degree.....let me know now so I can stop replying.
I don't, but I've studied game development and have coded outside of classes a LOT. I've continued coding outside of classes and a lot of the stuff I've learned was actually done independently. We never delved into the uses of enums, we never looked into creating game menus that responded to controller input, we were never taught how to make the game fullscreen, change volume, or any basic settings that any game would have, we never looked into searching algorithms, and dozens of other things. The class I took was bare-bones to get me to the basics, and then we were encouraged to go as far as we wanted from there. That led to some people with games where you mash a button to win, or some people with decently complex games for a one-man operation. I know what the industry is like (I've talked extensively about the industry with the dad of one of my best friends, who has made multiple games over the past 30 years and used to be the CTO at a gaming company), and while I still need work experience, my dad has taught me how to code well and how to properly comment.

And you can try and change the glitch/glitching definition if you want, but you won't be able to. I'm guessing you reference Wikipedia a ton, so there's another point of hypocrisy to fit the bias of your argument. Anything you'd write in there would no doubt be even less credible than what 1000s (including the moderators who are usually industry professionals) before you that actually know what they are talking about have decided upon.
I actually try to find non-wiki sources first, but you are dodging around my answer to your situation. Even if I don't disagree with the definition of glitch, wobbling is still an exploit (not necessarily a glitch). Stunlock is common in a lot of games; if you need proof, look up WOW Stunlock or Stunlock speedrun and you'll come up with plenty of instances. It's not a fault in the game's code as it's executing as expected, it's a fault in the design.

---

Your last post seemed less like a rebuttal to wobbling and more trying to personally insult my skills as a coder, while never seeing any of my code or knowing my skill level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom