• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Bayonetta isn't even top tier though... People just like to circlejerk about how OP new characters are.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
I think my fox getting there, almost made semi finals down at a ATX weekly.

How everyone here been doing?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I think my fox getting there, almost made semi finals down at a ATX weekly.

How everyone here been doing?
I'm doing pretty good. Premium's about to run out so RIP Disco Room, but I'm still playing Smash with friends after school in the band room hallway almost every day. We have to play on my laptop which kinda sucks because lag, but I'm still improving my option selection and mental game with Falcon. Playing on Anther's Ladder a bit so that I can get better at the Falco MU (I get rekt by Falcos in bracket every tourney I go to), and I'm learning to adapt to lasers and learning how to properly punish him at a good pace. It's hard for Falcon to get anything on Falco because Falcon gets stuffed with lasers pretty easily, but if you can get a hit in, it's fairly easy to convert it into something big at mid-high percents. My biggest problem with Anther's Ladder right now is a lot of people have garbage computers and the difference between Falco numerous options at any given time and Falcon's limited options because of laser are SUPER noticeable at 20FPS (since the Falco has three-times the time to react and punish the laggy Falcon's moves).

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
I'm doing pretty good. Premium's about to run out so RIP Disco Room, but I'm still playing Smash with friends after school in the band room hallway almost every day. We have to play on my laptop which kinda sucks because lag, but I'm still improving my option selection and mental game with Falcon. Playing on Anther's Ladder a bit so that I can get better at the Falco MU (I get rekt by Falcos in bracket every tourney I go to), and I'm learning to adapt to lasers and learning how to properly punish him at a good pace. It's hard for Falcon to get anything on Falco because Falcon gets stuffed with lasers pretty easily, but if you can get a hit in, it's fairly easy to convert it into something big at mid-high percents. My biggest problem with Anther's Ladder right now is a lot of people have garbage computers and the difference between Falco numerous options at any given time and Falcon's limited options because of laser are SUPER noticeable at 20FPS (since the Falco has three-times the time to react and punish the laggy Falcon's moves).
Don't worry about the Disco Room, place is in its own little world. Lmao

Anthers Ladder a good place for fundamental training. Especially if you have a little to no scene. I used to use it, but I also had many problems with laggy matches so I stopped. I still travel everywhere, at least when I can. Thats where I get most of my real training done. But on every other day I just grind tech and practice on what I need to improve on.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, apparently I'm pretty decent at bowling. I got a 144 last night and the only person I lost to is a guy that brings his own bowling ball.

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
Hey, so uh, does anyone have any tips on beginner level tech stuff? I keep trying to do it with little success, and I don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong. I need someone, a Doc Louis for melee.

Also sorry if this isn't the thread to post something like this, I don't know which one that would be.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Hey, so uh, does anyone have any tips on beginner level tech stuff? I keep trying to do it with little success, and I don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong. I need someone, a Doc Louis for melee.
What exactly are you practicing?

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
L-Cancelling and Wavedashing, specifically. Also I'm playing Falco most if not all the time, so if that matters then yeah.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, if you have 20XX, turn on color flashes for successful/unsuccessful L-Cancels. The overlays are really useful for seeing when you're properly executing stuff.

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
Three things happen when I try to Wavedash; I air dodge in place and don't go anywhere, I air dodge diagonally down and don't do it properly, or I do it in place. Rarely do I actually do it, and when I do I do it so slowly that it just looks pitiful.

Also how do I turn on the flashes?

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Three things happen when I try to Wavedash; I air dodge in place and don't go anywhere, I air dodge diagonally down and don't do it properly, or I do it in place. Rarely do I actually do it, and when I do I do it so slowly that it just looks pitiful.

Also how do I turn on the flashes?
If you air dodge in place, you didn't hold the control stick in any direction while air dodging, if you air dodge diagonally down and don't contact the ground then you're air dodging too early, and if you Wavedash in place, that means you are are holding down instead of diagonally while doing the air dodge. You can turn on color overlays in 20XX with the debug menu (specifically how to do it varies with your version of 20XX,) but if you have a vanilla copy of Melee, you can't turn on the overlays

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If you air dodge in place, you didn't hold the control stick in any direction while air dodging, if you air dodge diagonally down and don't contact the ground then you're air dodging too early, and if you Wavedash in place, that means you are are holding down instead of diagonally while doing the air dodge. You can turn on color overlays in 20XX with the debug menu (specifically how to do it varies with your version of 20XX,) but if you have a vanilla copy of Melee, you can't turn on the overlays
For the second case it's actually air dodging too late

If you airdodge too early you will probably just jump without airdodging at all

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
But when do I actually tilt the stick to air dodge? Do I do it preemptively or do it at the same time?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
But when do I actually tilt the stick to air dodge? Do I do it preemptively or do it at the same time?
Your inputs should be jump- immediately hold WD position- press L/R at the right time (while still holding that position)

You need to be holding the right direction as you press L/R, so it's easiest to input the direction during jump squat and hold it

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Guys I haven't played all week cause of finals.... ****, im gonna be rusty at my next tournament >.>

SFR_123

Smash Rookie
...hi. I'm new(ish) to Melee. I want to learn Fox, the hardest character in the game.

Wish me luck.

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm slightly less new to Melee. I want to learn Falco, the second hardest character in the game.

I wish you luck.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Hi, I've been playing Melee for a couple of years. I used to main Falco, but switched to Falcon had now I'm having more success (I developed so many bad habits against lvl 9 CPUs with Falco that it was easier to just start from scratch.)

I wish you luck.

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
Hi, I'm slightly less new to Melee. I want to learn Falco, the second hardest character in the game.

I wish you luck.
Excuse me for being inquisitive, but i'm curious to know what you mean by Falco being the "second hardest character in the game." Are you talking about the tier list?

Anyway, hi! I've been playing Melee for the longest time, and I've stalked Smashboards for years to wring out a lot of good Melee information. I main Luigi and the Ice Climbers, and I sometimes use Falcon.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Hi I've been playing for a while and I main Fox now, and let me tell you if you practice smart he's not as hard as people make him out to be.

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Hi! I've been playing for almost two years! I used to be a glorious Young Link main that nairplaned into explosions, but now I main Fox and wow this character is so easy what the crap? Drillshine into waveshines across the stage into look away and talk to someone else into up smash true combo.

Seriously. A lot of tech stuff for Fox isn't hard. You just have to practice properly. It gets hard once you realize that you have to react to every tech option or else you don't do nearly as much combo damage as Falco who will spot dodge shine you for your stock every... every time... every time... ahaha... ahahahahaha... (God help me I live in the land of the birds). Yeah. Fox's combo game and microspacing are insanely difficult. People that complain about how hard multishines and double lasers and stuff are haven't even scratched the surface. So I hope that's encouraging!

I wanna go ahead and say that for all of you guys just starting out and trying to learn the basic stuff, and struggling... don't worry. It's hard for all of us at some point. Be patient, keep practicing, and it'll become second nature eventually.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
lulz I just got here and it's 2016 :colorful::substitute::substitute:
Welcome to the community new guy!

Hi! I've been playing for almost two years! I used to be a glorious Young Link main that nairplaned into explosions, but now I main Fox and wow this character is so easy what the crap? Drillshine into waveshines across the stage into look away and talk to someone else into up smash true combo.

Seriously. A lot of tech stuff for Fox isn't hard. You just have to practice properly. It gets hard once you realize that you have to react to every tech option or else you don't do nearly as much combo damage as Falco who will spot dodge shine you for your stock every... every time... every time... ahaha... ahahahahaha... (God help me I live in the land of the birds). Yeah. Fox's combo game and microspacing are insanely difficult. People that complain about how hard multishines and double lasers and stuff are haven't even scratched the surface. So I hope that's encouraging!

I wanna go ahead and say that for all of you guys just starting out and trying to learn the basic stuff, and struggling... don't worry. It's hard for all of us at some point. Be patient, keep practicing, and it'll become second nature eventually.
True! A lot of it is keeping a good tempo in between inputs, tech skill overall isn't hard whatsoever. It's keeping in mind what works when, and keeping good hand control that most Fox mains struggle with. As long as people keep practicing, it all starts to smooth out over time.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Yeah. Fox's combo game and microspacing are insanely difficult.
Definitely matchup dependent. You can drill waveshine usmash/uthrow uair your way to victory against a lot of characters and players. Reacting to the DI on waveshine is pretty easy. And uthrow uair is easy until people start SDIing it.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Definitely matchup dependent. You can drill waveshine usmash/uthrow uair your way to victory against a lot of characters and players. Reacting to the DI on waveshine is pretty easy. And uthrow uair is easy until people start SDIing it.
Yeah I actually switched from Falco to Fox because I found his punish game way easier to be consistent with

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Just remembered this vid from forever ago:

Sums up my view on Jiggs pretty well.

Top Bottom