• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The tweet doesn't exist anymore, meaning that tweet doesn't show his true opinion on the matter. M2K has expressed distaste Melee in the past when he's going through a particularly rough cycle of depression or when a tournament goes badly (I'm looking at you, MVG Sandstorm,) but I doubt that he would put multiple thousand hours into a game that he thinks is boring. He switched away from Brawl because it was boring. He's only starting to consider primarily switching over to Sm4sh because Melee's fast and technical play makes his hands hurt, while Sm4sh's slow, campy play is easy on his hands.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well the nice thing about M2K is....if you don't like one of his opinions, just give day or two and it'll completely change.

CGod

Smash Cadet
Of course he switched from brawl. It died when sm4sh came out. Why make your hands hurt playing melee when you got smash 4? And both games make around the same cash. I remember him tweeting "Brawl is pretty godlike"

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Of course he switched from brawl. It died when sm4sh came out.
1. Brawl died before Sm4sh came out

2. While the scene dying was a big factor, abither reason he switched from Brawl is because he legitimately doesn't like playing it:

Why make your hands hurt playing melee when you got smash 4? And both games make around the same cash. I remember him tweeting "Brawl is pretty godlike"
Because a LOT of people think Melee is more fun, and everyone who has tried to play both knows that Melee is much deeper than Sm4sh. I think PP put it when he said:
PPMD said:
I do not like Super Smash Bros. 4 on a competitive level. I find it shallow and that it rewards very basic strategies that do not allow for deeper interaction with an opponent, and I also feel that even combos are jammed or not so meaningful. I personally greatly enjoy deep, intense interaction and the ability to play at a variety of speeds and still be effective. I do not believe Smash 4 has that potential, unfortunately. It can be fine for those willing to learn very specific skillsets, but I think there is much greater reward in learning the depth of Melee.
(Source)

On the whole topic of money, M2K has no source of income aside from Smash, so he has to play all of the current games to maximize his income. His Melee results have been hit-or-miss as of late, so he's trying to focus on the game that's miles easier because of the low skill ceiling and slow, untechnical play.

t0t0

Smash Rookie
Hi there community, I'm just trying to find some good channels to help expand my smash knowledge. I'd appreciate any tips to start gettin' serious.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Hi there community, I'm just trying to find some good channels to help expand my smash knowledge. I'd appreciate any tips to start gettin' serious.
I assume you mean youtube channels, so this is one of the best, SSBM Tutorials.

To be honest one of the most helpful learning tools for me was watching lots of matches, VGBootcamp is a good place to start on Youtube (I don't recommend subscribing though, it'll flood your subs inbox), and Here is the main hub for Melee on Twitch (It's a live streaming service for gamers, and there's big Melee tournaments almost every weekend).

This is a playlist of a bunch of Ice Climber specific tutorials (your main is listed as ICs), I haven't watched any of them, but it seems pretty comprehensive and you can definitely benefit from clicking on a few of them.

Info that's specifically geared towards ICs can be found on the character boards here.

This is a large and somewhat intimidating list on how to play SSBM.

Don't feel pressured to do all this at once, there's a mountain of stuff to learn.

t0t0

Smash Rookie
I assume you mean youtube channels, so this is one of the best, SSBM Tutorials.

To be honest one of the most helpful learning tools for me was watching lots of matches, VGBootcamp is a good place to start on Youtube (I don't recommend subscribing though, it'll flood your subs inbox), and Here is the main hub for Melee on Twitch (It's a live streaming service for gamers, and there's big Melee tournaments almost every weekend).

This is a playlist of a bunch of Ice Climber specific tutorials (your main is listed as ICs), I haven't watched any of them, but it seems pretty comprehensive and you can definitely benefit from clicking on a few of them.

Info that's specifically geared towards ICs can be found on the character boards here.

This is a large and somewhat intimidating list on how to play SSBM.

Don't feel pressured to do all this at once, there's a mountain of stuff to learn.
Perfect, thank you. This is a great start, I haven't seen a few of these links yet.

I agree melee is kind of daunting, I'm going to take my time. I've been getting into it for a few months now and still feel pretty lost. I appreciate the info!

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Really depressed now, shouldn't have watched top 8 of EVO.

I wonder if Melee would be 2 or even 3 times what it is now If Puff wasn't in the game (or even ICs). Maybe we would have had 400k or 500k viewers on the main stream.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean if you only wanted to see mango win maybe you're depressed and salty. If you just like Melee that top 8 was actually sick and grand finals was awesome

And I'm pretty sure the FGC crowd actually loves Hbox for what it's worth

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I mean if you only wanted to see mango win maybe you're depressed and salty. If you just like Melee that top 8 was actually sick and grand finals was awesome

And I'm pretty sure the FGC crowd actually loves Hbox for what it's worth
Dolla Pills doesn't understand how opinions work.

"If you just like Melee that top 8 was actually sick and grand finals was awesome"

This statement doesn't really make sense, but it's dripping with passive aggressive ignorance though. The top 8 was not objectively amazing, it's not immune to opinion, and "liking" Melee doesn't mean you have to automatically think this years top 8 was "so sick and awesome". If you think that way, you are a sheep or you aren't very bright.

I don't care if Mang0 even made top 32 or even showed up at all. The things you try and imply are the reasons I don't choose to interact with you much, it's usually like talking to a 10 yo on youtube.

And no...the FGC doesn't actually just love Hbox or Puff, you can even ask him yourself. You'd have to get away from Smashboards to see the honest opinions about that topic and character. Ever watched any interviews with any of the Gods that aren't Hbox or any of the top 100 players? Ask the casual viewers, the Melee players, and the viewers from other FGs? The 2 local communities I'm a part of definitely don't share your presumptuous statistic.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
This game is meant to be played, spectators don't come first. Fox beats jiggs. I don't see why anyone has reason to get depressed unless you were armada and blew it. Plup 2-0'd hbox, and wizzy recently 3-0'd him. The people who lost have no one to blame but themselves. It was a great top 8 imo, I always like seeing falcon do so well (s2j 2-0'ing west to take 5th??? Crazy!). But whoever gets the W/L is all most people see. They look at melee like it's a pop-up book. I'm with dolla pills on this one, if you understand decision making and like the game enough to appreciate the skill involved, it would be hard not to enjoy that top 8 (imo). Complaining about jiggs and climbers is just laughable. Especially climbers...lol

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea, you're right man. I guess my main problems were I don't understand decision making and I don't like the game enough to appreciate skill.

Me loving every other major this year plus EVO 2013, 2014 and 2015 were probably all just flukes.

I guess one could say it's quite laughable....lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yea, you're right man. I guess my main problems were I don't understand decision making and I don't like the game enough to appreciate skill.

Me loving every other major this year plus EVO 2013, 2014 and 2015 were probably all just flukes.

I guess one could say it's quite laughable....lol.
I was speaking in generalities concerning understanding decision making, you're acting like I was calling you out personally.

I'm not the one claiming I'm suffering from depression over jiggs doing well. The mere thought of that is indeed laughable.

Feel better soon bro.

:denzel:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I was speaking in generalities concerning understanding decision making, you're acting like I was calling you out personally.

I'm not the one claiming I'm suffering from depression over jiggs doing well. The mere thought of that is indeed laughable.

Feel better soon bro.

:denzel:
You might want to read what I wrote carefully.

Never said I was depressed over Jiggs doing well. You seem to have the problem quite a bit. Where you have trouble comprehending what people write, or you make up things that people say when they never did.

I was mearly thinking about a hypothetical situation and whether it's impact on Melee popularity would be so pronounced. I am rather convinced just from the sheer majority of people that seem to not like watching Jiggs or playing Jiggs, same can be said about ICs even their own mains think wobbling is lame. They self restrict using it, while less experienced and skilled players will abuse it at make big upsets (i.e. Infinite Numbers).

As for EVO 2016.....PPMD wasn't there, Leffen wasn't there, a lot of people weren't there. So it skewed top 8 and people were there that definitely wounldn't have been there. Pools were very lame (I fell asleep trying to watch) compared to other years, Top brackets weren't really all that thrilling. It's an opinion, searching for objective reasoning as you are trying to do is pretty dumb.

Also I'll say it again I do think your repeated sentiments about competitors vs spectators is really off, to the point where it doesn't really make sense and it just comes off as white knighting for something you can't even empathize with.

I have no doubts to you spectate way more than you play at a high level, you aren't sponsored, you don't stream for a living. It's a pretty symbiotic relationship, in fact the spectators dictate far more than the players do. WIthout sponsors (fueled by popularity and spectators) and streaming (same) a ton ot the top players would have moved on from Melee by now without a doubt. Hungrybox even with his sponsorships and all still claimed he was going to quit 2 years ago, said the same a year ago. Now we are here and Hbox no doubt is only really reneging on what he said twice because he's not hated quite as much anymore. THe spectators and the mass opinions directly affects him and his decisions, has been for the past 8+ years. Has far more power than the players or the participants or even the meta. Melee itself would be dead if what you said was true, you'd just have small tournaments once a year or it would be dead by now.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Really depressed now, shouldn't have watched top 8 of EVO.

I wonder if Melee would be 2 or even 3 times what it is now If Puff wasn't in the game (or even ICs).
Never said I was depressed over Jiggs doing well. You seem to have the problem quite a bit. Where you have trouble comprehending what people write, or you make up things that people say when they never did.
First and foremost, I have to say you're a legit funny guy. Thanks for the laughs.

First you clearly state you're VERY depressed, and that you shouldn't have watched top 8. Then you talk about a world were jiggs didn't exist, implying that the game would be better off. For those wondering what about top 8 got you so depressed, you basically just filled in the blank. But of course, I must lack reading comprehension skills.

Also I'll say it again I do think your repeated sentiments about competitors vs spectators is really off, to the point where it doesn't really make sense and it just comes off as white knighting for something you can't even empathize with.
Repeated? I hardly ever talk about this topic LOL (but I'm clearly the one "making up stuff"). If you think the spectators are more important than the players, that's fine. But that's something that most people who play this game won't be able to empathize with.

I have no doubts to you spectate way more than you play at a high level, you aren't sponsored, you don't stream for a living.
Good Lord you love making things personal. I've beat some good players before, I've NEVER lost in round 1 pools at any national (evo, ceo, pound), and I'm probably top 5 in the world at Ganon dittos. I just left SFL where I had entered almost every weekly for over a year. I'm a player, not solely a spectator. Again, I must be the one making things up.

As a final thought, think of this. Without jiggs there would be no King, and king's combo video is what inspired mango to play. There's no telling what this hypothetical world you're dreaming of would be like.

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
So about SDIing Foxes U-air. does anyone know the fastest way to roll the joy stick to get as many SDI inputs as possible? just curious because i suck at it.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Getting even 2 is really hard, because the first hit only has 3 SDIable hitlag frames. It's really about making single SDI input as consistent as possible. My advice is to roll around the cardinal direction you want to move towards. So for example, if you try to SDI right, aim the initial input toward right and slightly up and roll toward right and down.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Getting even 2 is really hard, because the first hit only has 3 SDIable hitlag frames. It's really about making single SDI input as consistent as possible. My advice is to roll around the cardinal direction you want to move towards. So for example, if you try to SDI right, aim the initial input toward right and slightly up and roll toward right and down.
OK. Also if i ASDI with the C-stick and Smash the joy stick the same direction on the same frame of hit lag will that make a difference? Or is there only one SDI input per frame regardless of using 2 sticks.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
OK. Also if i ASDI with the C-stick and Smash the joy stick the same direction on the same frame of hit lag will that make a difference? Or is there only one SDI input per frame regardless of using 2 sticks.
Slamming the stick to the right and holding it is the same as slamming the stick to the right and letting go while holding c-stick, as far as moving your character during hitlag is concerned.

Both are 1 SDI + 1 ASDI input

Last edited:

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Anyone know how the Pika Ganon Matchup works?

I feel like primarily Pika wants to bait out unsafe aerials from Ganon with his movement, and then juggle him hopefully into an edgeguard situation.

Not sure what Ganon does in this matchup other than hit him until he dies.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Anyone know how the Pika Ganon Matchup works?

I feel like primarily Pika wants to bait out unsafe aerials from Ganon with his movement, and then juggle him hopefully into an edgeguard situation.

Not sure what Ganon does in this matchup other than hit him until he dies.
Ganon has to respect Pika's nair approach (be ready for its speed and DI it correctly) and chaingrab/punish well off grabs. He has to play safe and space stuff well. Aerials don't work as well because of Pika's size. Low ftilt is pretty good, as is empty hop waveland (baits, elusiveness) and the occasional tomahawk. Edgeguarding usually requires a read, but reverse uair can at least cover more than one option. You can also sometimes take ledge and invincible ledgedash as he's going on stage and grab.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If I got depressed over every tourney where PPMD and Leffen didn't attend and pools weren't interesting I'd have killed myself long ago LOL

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
If I got depressed over every tourney where PPMD and Leffen didn't attend and pools weren't interesting I'd have killed myself long ago LOL
LOL, that was pretty good.

I would hope that you don't jump to thoughts of killing yourself every-time just from depression or something so trivial. If so I would suggest talking to someone about it because that does sound serious.

Last edited:

Icarus3DS

Smash Rookie
Who is the Melee player Anime Illuminati? I've seen him stream Melee with the most viewers in the middle of the night a couple of times but all he did was get drunk and talk about Melee professionals like Armada and "HunnyBox" (HungryBox?) but he constantly makes fun of Smash 4 players and their desire to be one of the main events at Evo. Does this person place in tournaments or even go to tournaments? He claims to be from Japan as well but he looks super white.

ZakoAction

Smash Rookie
NNID
TrollKing777
Who is the Melee player Anime Illuminati? I've seen him stream Melee with the most viewers in the middle of the night a couple of times but all he did was get drunk and talk about Melee professionals like Armada and "HunnyBox" (HungryBox?) but he constantly makes fun of Smash 4 players and their desire to be one of the main events at Evo. Does this person place in tournaments or even go to tournaments? He claims to be from Japan as well but he looks super white.
You mean Jiyuna? He is not an Smash player. He primarily plays anime fighters such as Guilty Gear,Blazblue,Melty Blood and Persona 4 Ultimax. He lives and works in Japan as a teacher and translator for Daigo Umehara streams. Him and friends occasionally talk about Smash on his streams in a Satire manner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom