• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

NTA

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen this tas video where it looked like two players were on teams against cpu and went after each other after each other after beating them? i thought it had ylink and samus, but I can't find it :/

Tero.

Smash Champion
This is probably a stupid question but with Melee at EVO is there no chance to get Melee back into MLG pro circuit?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Do I not get what you want to say with that post or do I not know what a bad thing the MLG circuit actually is?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I mean, smashboards was just bought from MLG 6months ago. When they did own smashboards they just seemed to not care about the community. They dropped melee in 07 and had brawl for a while then **** on that community too. To me, MLG are the first american sellouts, they just want the money and dont care what ****ty games they put on stream as long as they get numbers. Now they have rights to SC2 so I doubt they give a **** about anything.

(this is my point of view and does not reflect the official view of smashboards or its owners)

Kadano

Magical Express
Do any of you guys use GC controller to pc devices for Dolphin? Which ones do you guys use?
Mayflash Dual. I have two of them and they work very well with Dolphin. The only issue is that light shield triggers are different than when playing on GC, but this can probably adjusted. To me it’s no big deal, I hardly ever use light shield anyway.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I agree with Sveet. What MLG has gone through over the years has honestly been really painful for me to witness as an ex-avid Halo player and still-avid Melee player. Through middle and high school, MLG was a positive sign of things to come: professionalism to a competitive environment that was previously ignored or even degraded by others. "Competitive gaming" was largely a joke among common-folk. "Professional gaming" even more so. MLG worked to change that. They lived by the code competitive gamers have in their heart: "**** spectators, we want to compete." MLG only picked up competitive games, even going as far as trying to spark interest in Shadowrun, and extremely niche game (a shooter with no single player, thriving only on its multiplayer, which is almost unheard of in today's market). I was there when I saw things turn for the worst. The decline of Halo itself was certainly a major factor. I was actually not very bitter about the dropping of Melee. They sponsored grassroots events even after they stopped running their own, and everyone was looking to the future in barlw so no one could really blame them for dropping a 7-year-old game with an upcoming sequel. The main concern I had was that they turned their back on their code of how to run events. It started out as little things like FORCING players to use certain headsets on the main stage, but then it became bigger issues like using rulesets that were clearly targeting more "mainstream" Halo players instead of the hardcore.

With that said, I'd still be hyped for an MLG Melee tournament. I just don't think it's something the community needs to thrive. It'd be a well-run tournament with some potential pot bonuses from sponsors, but that's not really any different from the top community-run tournaments anyway.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah, if there was MLG Melee again, I would definitely support it. Like bones said, the community doesn't need it though. Zenith, Apex, Genesis, RoM, EVO, etc etc, we have so many national events every year now as opposed to 5 years ago when we had the MLGs and maybe an FC or 0C each year.

I would love it if the major tournaments collaborated for some sort of national circuit though :)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
We would need something to close out the circuit, a definitive tournament to cap the year. Evo could be that but we know it won't happen. Between the coasts you have genesis and apex among many others and they also happen to fall between school semesters, obviously for good reason.

So I can see it tying into the seasons idea that died out. We could have big house> rom> apex and there's for winter and then koc> zenith> genesis, etc. for summer. Even through in some international tournaments with stipends and get the big TOs to help eachother. It could be a good idea for bringing in sponsors, people can share sponsors or get an entire season/circuit sponsored

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't get the appeal of seasons/circuits. It always seems to end up making certain events arbitrarily matter more than others. I think it'd be dumb if Player A beats Player B at 4 consecutive tournaments, and then Player B wins the final tournament of the year and suddenly is considered the best of that year. And if he isn't considered the best because of that last tournament, then what was the point in in season/circuit in the first place?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
A circuit gives stable income to players. MLG Guaranteed something like $800 to any of the top8 players just for showing up, before their prize money (to cover travel costs and give incentive for them to attend every tournament). But MLG is a special case.

Usually how i've seen circuits run is that for each tournament a portion of the prize money is taken out (~5%). After the final tournament is over, prize money is given out for the top point placers (in a standard 60/30/10 fashion, or similar). The final tournament isn't valued better than any other tournament, its just another place to get points (though i've seen some circuits give the final tournament double points).

Essentially, a circuit system would favor people who are consistent even if they aren't winning every time. If you get 2nd/3rd at every circuit event you are in serious running for #1. If you get top 5 at every circuit event, you're in good position for top 3. Etc.

The 2t

Smash Apprentice
So my brother got the new animal crossing for 3DS, opened a fortune cookie in the game and got the message "When all else fails, never forget to show them your moves". Traded it in for some kind of blue falcon ornament for his house. Too good.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
This is probably a stupid question but with Melee at EVO is there no chance to get Melee back into MLG pro circuit?

Halo 2 should be back in MLG if that was the case. MLG goes with games that are "Current" and are popular.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
So my brother got the new animal crossing for 3DS, opened a fortune cookie in the game and got the message "When all else fails, never forget to show them your moves". Traded it in for some kind of blue falcon ornament for his house. Too good.
hahaha best thing I've read all day

can't wait to get that fortune cookie

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Does me owning a Mac affect this? I noticed there was only 1 Mac-specific capture card noted in the beginners guide
It doesn't mean you're unable to capture video

it just means that you'll need different software - which is why mac-specific capture cards exist. You could easily emulate the Windows files though, if you needed to. Regardless, if there's mac-specific capture cards, you can obviously use them on a mac.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
All due respect to traditional fighters, but when the commentary is: "Woah, crossed up!" and "Woah, from the front?!" it seems a little silly

The Star King

Smash Hero
All due respect to traditional fighters, but when the commentary is: "Woah, crossed up!" and "Woah, from the front?!" it seems a little silly
Especially when it's not really the same. Cross-ups emerged as a term in traditional fighters mostly because of the way blocking works. Seeing people shoehorn such a term into Smash, where such blocking details don't apply, does seem pretty silly IMO

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I completely agree, there aren't cross-ups in smash at all

In tradition back-to-block fighters, the cross-up is to create a mix-up on their guard to get a hit in on them

In smash, landing behind someone's shield does not create this kind of mix-up situation whatsoever, but instead almost always gives you a better advantage over your opponent as they can no longer shield grab you despite the fact that you still didn't get any guaranteed damage on them

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I completely agree, there aren't cross-ups in smash at all

In tradition back-to-block fighters, the cross-up is to create a mix-up on their guard to get a hit in on them

In smash, landing behind someone's shield does not create this kind of mix-up situation whatsoever, but instead almost always gives you a better advantage over your opponent as they can no longer shield grab you despite the fact that you still didn't get any guaranteed damage on them
Let me add that overshooting can allow you to work around some hitboxes for you to hit them. You also need to be mindful about where your opponent is, you wouldn't want to cross up if hes close to the ledge because then you'd be the one heavily disadvantaged. And.. you can also use overshooting to shield stab them. But in general it doesn't give you much to do that, it's better to hold your ground and control the center.

Kadano

Magical Express
I’m looking for a thread about Wombo Combo. The OP was confused a lot about the importance of not being Falco and stuff. It was hilarious.
Neither Google nor Smashboards could find it for me—maybe someone of you still has it bookmarked or knows the subforum and approx. date?
I found it now, it was this thread.

By the way, at the beginning of M2K vs Shiz 4 the commentator says something that sounds to me like “****ing diablo”. Does anybody know what that means/references?

Kadano

Magical Express
I always have to laugh when certain Melee sound effects are played. Especially CF’s and Ganondorf’s cry sounds when they get hit at high % (HUU-UAARRGH and HHLLLAAAAA). So I decided to put them on my phone as message sounds. If someone else wants them: http://www.vg-resource.com/showthread.php?tid=16063
The two I mentioned are captain0e and ganon16.

Edit: I’m very glad I finally did this. Though I still think someone is dying in my room whenever I get texted.

Top Bottom