• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Guys I am really sad

I was just thinking earlier about the fact that when I originally had a Gamecube when it was released, I had an orange controller. Like a ****ing awesome orange controller. When the ECKSBAWKSFREESICKSTY came out, my adolescent greed took over and I sold my GC and all of my **** with it to buy stupid *** games that I would never end up caring about.

A few years later, I went to the pawn shop and picked up a GC+controller for like $20 (I love that controller (generic indigo), I've used ever since I started really playing), but now I hate myself for selling that orange controller.

**** me guys

**** me

Varist

Smash Lord
i want a controller with decals of skulls and **** on it and flames painted on the sides so it can go faster

V

Smash Ace
Is the general consensus of the melee community that it's better to master one character or learn a secondary?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It depends on your style and/or preference

Ultimately, your goal is mastery

If your options are to master one character or simply learn another, the choice is obvious

However, if you can pick up multiple characters and master them all, then by all means go for it if that's what you want to do. It's difficult, but very much possible.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Is the general consensus of the melee community that it's better to master one character or learn a secondary?
Master one character

The only player ever who really was successful using more than one character is Mango. Every one of the other best players out there primarily used one character to reach the point they are at.

The Star King

Smash Hero
There is no consensus. People who pretend there is are wrong and/or fake.

Master one character

The only player ever who really was successful using more than one character is Mango. Every one of the other best players out there primarily used one character to reach the point they are at.
Mew2King? Azen? KoreanDJ? PC Chris? Captain Jack? Isai? And a lot more, and Mango is no light case. You also have testimony from people like Axe who said he would not be nearly as good if he didn't play multiple characters.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Ok I will revise my statement:

In TODAYS metagame, it is extremely difficult to have multiple mains. Barring M2K, those players are older players from a much less refined meta. With the depth at which characters are played at the highest level, it is extremely difficult to dedicate time to refining more than one character...most people will never even finely tune the one character they main to todays standards.

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
IMHO you shouldn't have a tournament secondary until you reach the bottom grout of high level play (high consistency making bracket at large events)

This isn't set in stone of course but it holds true for the bulk of players

A lot of it has to do with the importance of having a strong main that you can depend on and how different characters promote different mindsets and styles of thought

It generally seems to me that medium level players who invest in a secondary to avoid having to learn how to play their character differently in a particular MU do better in the short term because they have an answer to the character at their level but then miss out of development and do worse in the long term unless they go back and learn that MU because they fail to develop depth with either character and a larger set of skills

So it also depends on how far you plan to go I guess

S l o X

Smash Champion
stick to 1 character pls.

i think i gained a lot from playing all chars while learning the game post first tourney (p4) but sometimes i regret it / 1 char is better

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Watched some HMW videos that I've never seen before

HMW + Phil still the funniest commentators ever. They keep reminding me how much fun this game really is

V

Smash Ace
Thanks everybody I appreciate your input. Another way I looked at it was if your character has no match ups worse than 60-40 than a secondary isn't necessary and resorting to a secondary in that situation should only be if that character has a hard counter as well.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I was amazed that we made the top 10 out of 100 options until I looked at the rest. Pokemon puzzle league? I guess that **** be crunk

:phone:

Top Bottom