• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Y'all ain't even know... This thread is bananas. Check the revamped oooooh peeee. Check the secret goodies I snuck in! Check... all of it! Everything is up... except previews for certain mods. They'll be on the Tubez soon!

Edit: Also forgot to mention that Link's vidz are getting an update to show what I did with his Ocarina... You can now hold notes... But beware if you hold it for more than 3 seconds... it'll start to "pop" every 3 seconds... I've tried to fix this in every way possible but... I've had no luck... Only thing I could do was make the sounds longer to decrease the pop frequency. The sounds loop perfectly fine in Brawlbox. Flawlessly of course. But in-game... for whatever reason. NOPE!

AlsoEdit: Also if someone happens to feel like it before I get around to it... test those add-ons included in the Full and Wifi packs. The add-ons ought to make it super easy to play with or without Melee SFX mods. For those who go to tourneys and whatnot whose TOs won't allow them to use these mods, easy as pie to uninstall the add-on during the tourney... and then reinstall it afterwards for personal enjoyment!

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
I noticed Ganondorf's up-tilt makes an odd sound. It sounds like it's trying to be an electric noise, but it's just seems like really loud split second static. Also, that "tck" sound Ganondorf makes when he jumps is a lot more noticeable than in Melee. Kind of annoying.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I noticed Ganondorf's up-tilt makes an odd sound. It sounds like it's trying to be an electric noise, but it's just seems like really loud split second static. Also, that "tck" sound Ganondorf makes when he jumps is a lot more noticeable than in Melee. Kind of annoying.
You obviously haven't played Melee in a while then. It's just as loud in Melee as it is here. The electrical sound is to represent the spark effect that occurs when he raises his foot on his up tilt.

Juken

Smash Ace
Yeah, I went back to Melee and it's just as loud.

Also, do you know which sawnd I have to put in from the SFX pack to have Marth and Roy's sounds only?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Yeah, I went back to Melee and it's just as loud.

Also, do you know which sawnd I have to put in from the SFX pack to have Marth and Roy's sounds only?
Just download their individual files and copy the 'projectm' folders from both over to your SD card. Allow it to overwrite the 2 files and that's it... Unless you're on a mac?

Juken

Smash Ace
I placed the files from the individual marth and roy downloads and they have the things like their different voice cues, but they don't make any noise for their swords.

I then read the description for their downloads on the vault, and noticed it said "requires melee sFX pack," so I figured that their sword sounds are a part of the big pack, so I thought I could just get the sword sounds from there.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I placed the files from the individual marth and roy downloads and they have the things like their different voice cues, but they don't make any noise for their swords.

I then read the description for their downloads on the vault, and noticed it said "requires melee sFX pack," so I figured that their sword sounds are a part of the big pack, so I thought I could just get the sword sounds from there.
Oooooh click the big Project M SFX logo in the OP and download that mod. Inside it, copy '7.sawnd' into your 'sfx' folder. Actually, you should just copy that 'projectm' folder. Overwrite whatever files. And then copy the 'projectm' folders from the Roy and Marth downloads. That way all the characters have those wooshy 'big hit' sounds from Melee.

Last edited:

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Great work! Just had a huge session with my brother where we used this pack. However, there were a couple oddities that we noticed.

Roy's neutral b sounds WAAAY quieter than the rest of his voice clips.

DK's chest pound taunt had no sounds at all.

Maybe I just don't remember how it was in Melee, but Bowser's bair sounds suuuuuper weak. Don't know if it's quiet or just should be the slashy sound instead, but something about it was incredibly disappointing.

Fox's air laser sounds wrong. I think it has an unnecessary click from the grounded laser or something. Don't play him enough to be sure, but enough to know it wasn't right.

Other than that, it all seemed spot on from what we played. Not sure if any of this was messed up due to me putting stuff in the wrong folders, but it seemed pretty straight-forward. Regardless, this is a huge improvement from most of Brawl sound effects, so I'm not complaining. Fantastic job. Marth and Falcon immediately felt way better.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Great work! Just had a huge session with my brother where we used this pack. However, there were a couple oddities that we noticed.

Roy's neutral b sounds WAAAY quieter than the rest of his voice clips.

DK's chest pound taunt had no sounds at all.

Maybe I just don't remember how it was in Melee, but Bowser's bair sounds suuuuuper weak. Don't know if it's quiet or just should be the slashy sound instead, but something about it was incredibly disappointing.

Fox's air laser sounds wrong. I think it has an unnecessary click from the grounded laser or something. Don't play him enough to be sure, but enough to know it wasn't right.

Other than that, it all seemed spot on from what we played. Not sure if any of this was messed up due to me putting stuff in the wrong folders, but it seemed pretty straight-forward. Regardless, this is a huge improvement from most of Brawl sound effects, so I'm not complaining. Fantastic job. Marth and Falcon immediately felt way better.
For Roy I think that's fixed in his separate download... I'm not sure how I forgot to place that in the full pack.

I believe it's the same for Fox as well. Get his separate download and all should be well... Maybe? Actually it might only be fixed on his Alt mod. Try using that one!

And Bowser I do believe is due to hit sfx trickery... I think I might actually be able to change that too! I've learned a tadbit about modifying the hit sfx flags and such. I'll fix that when I can.

And thanks for the heads up on DK! I guess I got too carried away getting rid of Brawl useless sounds. I'll fix that soon too.

And thanks again for the compliment. Marth is the main reason I started making these mods lol. The new version of Project M's changes to Marth's sounds help a bit... but without the hit sfx... it really pales in comparison.

I love you.
Love yew moar.

Has anybody tried using either of the add-ons yet and can they tell me if it worked for them or nah?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I think I asked this before, but are there plans to make a version of the alt costume voices in which the only thing changed is the voices?

also excellent job on the update, everything came out great. :)

FalconAnon

Smash Rookie
Sounds good so far, only complaint is that whiffed moves sound a bit too quiet. Ganon's fair and bair for example are silent. It's like that for most non sword characters, not sure if this was intentional or not. In any case, I'm enjoying the SFX so far!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I think I asked this before, but are there plans to make a version of the alt costume voices in which the only thing changed is the voices?

also excellent job on the update, everything came out great. :)
I might be able to do that at some point. It's a lot more manageable in these mods cause there's so much more free space. I do think I can pull it off. The Melee voice quality would probably have to take a hit though. That's for another time tho! Right now I'm takin somewhat of a small reprieve haha.

Sounds good so far, only complaint is that whiffed moves sound a bit too quiet. Ganon's fair and bair for example are silent. It's like that for most non sword characters, not sure if this was intentional or not. In any case, I'm enjoying the SFX so far!
You know I never thought to check for some reason... but I may have some of his sounds wrong. Mebe... idk

FalconAnon

Smash Rookie
You know I never thought to check for some reason... but I may have some of his sounds wrong. Mebe... idk
I only mention because Falcon's SFX are perfect, but Ganon's are strangely quiet. It might just be because I'm just used to Brawl Ganon's moves making a lot of noise, though.

Also, the sound for hitting people at super high percent is amazing and I'm really glad you put it in.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I only mention because Falcon's SFX are perfect, but Ganon's are strangely quiet. It might just be because I'm just used to Brawl Ganon's moves making a lot of noise, though.

Also, the sound for hitting people at super high percent is amazing and I'm really glad you put it in.
I'll have to check him. Fixing a few other things atm.

Also ur welcome! I... I actually don't know how it didn't make sense to do them the way that I did from the start of these mods... It was so simple when @Obskore somehow made me know what to do lol... It's also the most tedious update! lol... I have to go through and edit EVERY vBrawl moveset so they all have those sounds when they get the big higher percentage hits. Lol.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
On that note some of them seem a lil quiet but it's PROBABLY just me (Mario's Fair hitting is a bit silent IMO but again it's probably just me.)

For the record I'm going to take initiative (for once) and try and pump out a Melee-ish Wario thing using N64 sound samples (AKA what they did with Mario's voice in Melee) so, here we go in that regard!

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Okay, so I'm still not totally sure how this works for some things in case I want to customize further...

Say I want to keep Luigi's Brawl voice - would removing his specific file still give him mostly Melee hit sounds while having his new voice? If I removed Bowser's, would he be back mostly to his usual Brawl/PM sounds?

Also more misc. stuff I noticed messing around.

Marth makes a weird noise when putting down his shield.

Zelda has no sound effect on her spot dodge.

Ganondorf's uptilt has a weird crackly/electric sound. Not sure if that was intentional, but I think it sounds weird and should be more of an impact sound. Actually, the electrical sound itself might be okay, there's just no sound when his foot hits the ground.

Every so often Link's ftilt wouldn't have any sound.

Fox's "COME ON" should be moved to the proper taunt. Actually it's there already, but it's currently also on his DBZ power-up looking taunt, and I don't think it fits. Also (it may have just been very quiet) his dtilt doesn't seem to have a sound.

I also did what you said with Roy's and his neutral B is still very quiet. You were right about fixing Fox's air laser sound, though.

Sorry if I'm sounding nitpicky. This is just an incredible undertaking and I think you're doing a fantastic job. I just want to help you make it sound as good as possible. :)

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Pretty sure Fox saying c'mon on both his taunts is due to the fact that he only had one taunt in Melee and thus didn't have a "here I come" line. Same thing with a lot of others.

Also, after installing the SFX pack, things like Marth and Roy's sword sounds work right now. The only thing that irks me about that is how those sounds carried over to 70% of Wolf's attacks and a couple of Metaknight's.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Okay, so I'm still not totally sure how this works for some things in case I want to customize further...

Say I want to keep Luigi's Brawl voice - would removing his specific file still give him mostly Melee hit sounds while having his new voice? If I removed Bowser's, would he be back mostly to his usual Brawl/PM sounds?

Also more misc. stuff I noticed messing around.

Marth makes a weird noise when putting down his shield.

Zelda has no sound effect on her spot dodge.

Ganondorf's uptilt has a weird crackly/electric sound. Not sure if that was intentional, but I think it sounds weird and should be more of an impact sound. Actually, the electrical sound itself might be okay, there's just no sound when his foot hits the ground.

Every so often Link's ftilt wouldn't have any sound.

Fox's "COME ON" should be moved to the proper taunt. Actually it's there already, but it's currently also on his DBZ power-up looking taunt, and I don't think it fits. Also (it may have just been very quiet) his dtilt doesn't seem to have a sound.

I also did what you said with Roy's and his neutral B is still very quiet. You were right about fixing Fox's air laser sound, though.

Sorry if I'm sounding nitpicky. This is just an incredible undertaking and I think you're doing a fantastic job. I just want to help you make it sound as good as possible. :)
Whoa. Okay in order lol:

Both Luigi's and Bowser's individual downloads now include Brawl voice with Melee SFX. (And Bowser's includes Shun's Showtime Bowser vfx!)

The noises Marth makes when shielding and unshielding... are both in Melee. They're probably not as loud in Melee. But they're there. Someone requested I add those sounds... Which I knew about... I was just lazy lol. They're the sounds of him sheathing and unsheathing his sword.

I forgot about that for Zelda. Another thing I meant to fix that I missed! lol... Added to the to-do

Ganondorf's up tilt has that electric sound to represent the electrical effect that appears. Although it could probably be lowered in volume.

I'll have to test Link. I've not had any issues thus far. I think I know what could be the cause of it tho.

Fox's taunt is because of that thing Juken said... Well... partially. I was gonna use his japanese taunt for the Super Saiyan power up. But somewhere down the line I lost things... But that taunt is actually in his .sawnd file... lol

Roy... blast it I guess I forgot to upload his edited .pac files. In the vid you can clearly see it's fixed (I promise I don't suck lol). I'll reupload that soon as well.

Also pointing out the issues is good! I do a lot of testing beforehand but I ^ clearly don't catch everything lol. We both have the same goal in mind (best sounding modz possible) Haha

Pretty sure Fox saying c'mon on both his taunts is due to the fact that he only had one taunt in Melee and thus didn't have a "here I come" line. Same thing with a lot of others.

Also, after installing the SFX pack, things like Marth and Roy's sword sounds work right now. The only thing that irks me about that is how those sounds carried over to 70% of Wolf's attacks and a couple of Metaknight's.
You can use these mods without the 7.sawnd file... That'll revert the Brawl chars to original form but Marth and Roy might sound a little weird. The main thing for them is really the FitDood.pac files tho. As long as you have that you should have some form of sword swing soundage.

Last edited:

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
I really like what you done with all the Melee voices, a few edits like with Roy and such, and even the alt mods. But thing I always hated the Melee SFX as a whole (being my least fav of all 4 smash games) and I know some others out there do too. I hope one day there can be a version of your sound mods that keeps the Brawl SFX since I prefer the more noisey oomphs and such better but having the Melee voices still (and the alt ones too).

Nothing against your mods or anything, just a personal preferance is all and especially since there's a lack of Melee voice-only mods as it is.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I really like what you done with all the Melee voices, a few edits like with Roy and such, and even the alt mods. But thing I always hated the Melee SFX as a whole (being my least fav of all 4 smash games) and I know some others out there do too. I hope one day there can be a version of your sound mods that keeps the Brawl SFX since I prefer the more noisey oomphs and such better but having the Melee voices still (and the alt ones too).

Nothing against your mods or anything, just a personal preferance is all and especially since there's a lack of Melee voice-only mods as it is.
I take it as a compliment haha. For someone who likes Melee least to say positive things about Melee sound modz. Yes plz.
Also I am eventually at some point down the road gonna do just Melee voices. It is quite a bit easier to just edit a .sawnd file for voice clips and not have to do a lot of work in the FitDood.pac file.

Edit: I wonder where my extra post went from the Oh Pee... I swear I had one. I was gonna use it to list all the things I changed there. SOMEONE! Gimme a post under the oh pee!... Can I ask for that? lol

Last edited:

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
I take it as a compliment haha. For someone who likes Melee least to say positive things about Melee sound modz. Yes plz.
Also I am eventually at some point down the road gonna do just Melee voices. It is quite a bit easier to just edit a .sawnd file for voice clips and not have to do a lot of work in the FitDood.pac file.

Edit: I wonder where my extra post went from the Oh Pee... I swear I had one. I was gonna use it to list all the things I changed there. SOMEONE! Gimme a post under the oh pee!... Can I ask for that? lol
I was not expecting a positive response to what I said about all of that at all to be honest, so thank you.

And glad your gonna do the Brawl SFX versions down the road, be nice to get back into playing PM again since Smash 4's kinda taken over my smash life these days.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
ALL! There is now a Changelog/Update thingy in the Oh Pee. I suggest you take a look at it as there are some things in there... that help you know stuff....?....?.... Or whatever...

I was not expecting a positive response to what I said about all of that at all to be honest, so thank you.

And glad your gonna do the Brawl SFX versions down the road, be nice to get back into playing PM again since Smash 4's kinda taken over my smash life these days.
Smash 4 is great! Although I haven't got to play it as much as I'd like to. And hey... These mods would be nothing without community input. So any... well I won't say "any"... but most input is welcome! Haha as long as you're not blatantly rude about it. Some people do that... I don't like it much at all.

Juken

Smash Ace
Are there any changes in between the addition of that changelog to OP and from when it was released yesterday?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Are there any changes in between the addition of that changelog to OP and from when it was released yesterday?
NOPE! It'll tell you about some of the options you may not have known about though haha.

Edit: That does remind me that I forgot something about Zelda/Sheik though...

Last edited:

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
You've made a lot of people happy with this update! Including me, I was playing for hours after it released :D

Another thing to add is I'm not sure if I messed something up (didn't install the melee sfx pack)but I believe almost all the characters with melee alt sounds are missing dash sfx(I didn't try zelda and shiek though) and ganon's grabs and footsteps are completely silent for me too.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
You've made a lot of people happy with this update! Including me, I was playing for hours after it released :D

Another thing to add is I'm not sure if I messed something up (didn't install the melee sfx pack)but I believe almost all the characters with melee alt sounds are missing dash sfx(I didn't try zelda and shiek though) and ganon's grabs and footsteps are completely silent for me too.
Oh man I didn't think about that one when explaining the not using of 7.sawnd lol... Yeah those sounds that are missing are in the Melee SFX. They were moved into empty spots so as not to conflict with other aspects of Brawl... Or to conflict as little as possible. I had to do quite a bit of magic with the Melee SFX this update. So some areas like Subspace might have slight oddities as a result.

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Oh man I didn't think about that one when explaining the not using of 7.sawnd lol... Yeah those sounds that are missing are in the Melee SFX. They were moved into empty spots so as not to conflict with other aspects of Brawl... Or to conflict as little as possible. I had to do quite a bit of magic with the Melee SFX this update. So some areas like Subspace might have slight oddities as a result.
Ahh, I thought it may have something to do with it! I'll just use the 7.sawnd then in the meantime, thanks again Amazerommu!! Such awesome work :D

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are these voice mods Compatible now?

Also.....do sword characters get the melee sword swings and etc?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are these voice mods Compatible now?

Also.....do sword characters get the melee sword swings and etc?
Yes... all mods are updated for PM 3.5. There are a few small issues that have been pointed out that I'm gonna have fixed soon!

Have you not seen the new OP yet? It's so much better than it was.

FireFarseer

Smash Rookie
I think I may have found a bug with the alt ganon mod, namely it involves the FitGanon.pac that's included. If you're using the included FitGanon.pac you can't walk left (not dashing). If you try to walk left Ganon just gets stuck, and this happens to both costumes, but walking right is fine. The vanilla 3.5 FitGanon.pac does not have this issue when I switch back.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I think I may have found a bug with the alt ganon mod, namely it involves the FitGanon.pac that's included. If you're using the included FitGanon.pac you can't walk left (not dashing). If you try to walk left Ganon just gets stuck, and this happens to both costumes, but walking right is fine. The vanilla 3.5 FitGanon.pac does not have this issue when I switch back.
Copy the FitGanon that's in the root of the download... I apparently forgot to replace both of them when I was fixing that issue lol. But the one that's named "FitGanon_MeleeAlt" is fixed I'm pretty sure... Unless I actually completely forgot to do things.

Edit: Or you can redownload the mod and recopy the folder haha. I just fixed it I believe.... Also Roy's Neutral B should be fixed in his individual download.

Last edited:

FireFarseer

Smash Rookie
Copy the FitGanon that's in the root of the download... I apparently forgot to replace both of them when I was fixing that issue lol. But the one that's named "FitGanon_MeleeAlt" is fixed I'm pretty sure... Unless I actually completely forgot to do things.

Edit: Or you can redownload the mod and recopy the folder haha. I just fixed it I believe.... Also Roy's Neutral B should be fixed in his individual download.
That fixed it. Thanks for the work on this awesome mod!

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
I should probably point out that the logo in the OP directs you to Link's SFX and not the General SFX.

Edit: Also, what are all the extra FitDood.pac files in the General SFX folder for?

Last edited:
Top Bottom