• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Maybe give Boxer DK his DKCR voice? AND PURPLE LUIGI WALUIGI'S VOICE.

If Diddy had an alternate to throw his usual (i.e. Mario Kart, Tennis, I think DKCR?) voice on, I personally think that'd be great. But it'd probably be best to leave it as is.
Ama I have a baller idea. Why not have WarioWare outfit Wario keep the Brawl voice but have classic Wario have his old N64 Mario Party voice samples, since Melee reused N64 samples a lot.
Lol I think I'm just gonna stick with the Muhlay alts for now guise. These are all good ideas tho! They have that good Melee feel to them!

btw, will next update have the subtle sound that plays during grabs?
and also that other subtle sound that plays when Marth shields or rolls (when he sheathes his sword)

i noticed that in previous versions, grabs played the Melee ledgegrab sound (because brawl uses that same sound for grabs and ledgegrabs), and other previous versions played the normal grab sound normally during grabs, but it also played during ledgegrabs (because already explained)

i also miss the woosh-like sounds that played in Melee along the yells that characters made when launched hard enough, or that burning sound that lasts a bit after fire attacks, just like it did with electric attacks or the shine (see: TEH KNEE)
it went like: KNEE>PAIN YELL>HARD "KICK" SOUND>HEAVY WOOSH>ELECTRIC FIZZING>SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!

will it be fixed in the new update? i'm not being bossy btw, keep it spicy <3
Your wishes (most of them... half of them...) are my command!
These are all things that I kinda griped about myself... Although... (I was kinda hoping nobody noticed Marth's subtle sheathe sound was missing lmao...) Since it's been pointed out, might as well fix that! HOLY! That'll change the sound of his... whichever taunt he sheathes his blade with! Side taunt? I think I might actually like that and then I'll be pissed at myself for not doing it initially... Now to explain the other things that are gonna annoy you that already annoy the crap outta me.

Those wooshy sounds? Yeah no way for me to get them to playback the way they're... oh... mah... gahd... I actually properly just thought of a way to maybe probably fix this... Wow... Literally mid-explanation as to how I can't do it... Like... Holy... ****E! I am pumped nao. Thank you for making me figure these things out! Although I'm gonna have to play some Melee to try to reproduce the sounds exactly how and/when they play (challenge_accepted.jpg). But... well... there may be a slight delay on the updates release as a result. I'm gonna try to figure this out today though!

That's one extra wish I didn't think I'd be able to grant... Now onto the next... For the fiery like steamy sound that plays while you're... steaming? Yeah... That doesn't even exist in the FitDood.pac files... Some coding and... extra delicate finesse would be necessary to make that one work... BUT WAIT!! That doesn't mean that-

The electrical-y static sound?... That one DOES exist in the FitDood.pac files. However it doesn't play a sound when someone is actually electrically stunned... That is... PSSH! NOT AN ISSUE AT ALL! I do believe anytime someone is electricked now... that I can make PM play that deliciously delicious sound of electrical powerful deliciousness. (This one was actually supposed to be a surprise for you all to notice down the road... but since you asked... Eh.)

I also realized the grabs played the same sound as ledgegrabs... and: Yes.

And... if any of you know who Jiano is (midwest somewhat known-ish player):
(see: TEH KNEE)
it went like: KNEE>PAIN YELL>HARD "KICK" SOUND>HEAVY WOOSH>ELECTRIC FIZZING>SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!
This... this made me laugh so effing hard lmao! It made me laugh cause I get victim'd to this by Jiano all the time... And it is glorious...
I'm actually really glad you inquired about these things cause now I'm stoked to fix that onne issue that made these SFX not quite an exact duplicate of Melee yet.

^ These things and lots of other things with specific regards to character changes in PM 3.5 are gonna be fixed. But I'm leaving those a surprise for you all! I already had to give away possibly the biggest one! But es okay... You all are kewl.

Edit: I also figured out a way to fix the sword sounds playing for other characters without having to edit EVERY single .pac file. I know some like Toon Link and... some others that @BobbyTheBrokeMonarch mentioned still had that sound playing... because for some reason that one sword sound effect is shared among another sound... which is what PMBR are using for DodgeRolls, rolls from ledge, etc. for certain chars they edit.

EditEdit: Ummmmm... scratch one of those... Idk how to fix the grab and ledgegrab thingy... I thought I did... buuuuuuuuut... wull it'll take a bit more researching later. ON TO THE NEXT THING!

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Really, despite the title, I wish it wasn't just Melee. I would have loved something from the original SSB.

Namely, the Ray Gun Shots, the Major Impact Smacks, and especially, the crowd. Oh dear lord, the crowd!

Obskore

Smash Ace
holy bananas Mr. @ Amazerommu Amazerommu , glad you grasped the idea and turning it into motivation, you have my thanks in advance! :D
and btw, can you not like, replace a sound that Brawl doesn't actually use during battles (like SSE sounds) with the corresponding grab sound and then have both ledgegrab and actual grab sounds working together as intended?
filesize doesn't change much anyways, no matter if you change only 1 sound in a collection, the .sawnd file will be mostly always the same

Really, despite the title, I wish it wasn't just Melee. I would have loved something from the original SSB.

Namely, the Ray Gun Shots, the Major Impact Smacks, and especially, the crowd. Oh dear lord, the crowd!
i actually used a modded version of the 3.02 sounds, inserting the mild and heavy slash sound from 64
the crowd would make a nostalgic re-encounter, but this is "Melee SFX", so the point is that we're gonna get Melee SFX, unless Amazerommu grows fond of the idea

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
holy bananas Mr. @ Amazerommu Amazerommu , glad you grasped the idea and turning it into motivation, you have my thanks in advance! :D
and btw, can you not like, replace a sound that Brawl doesn't actually use during battles (like SSE sounds) with the corresponding grab sound and then have both ledgegrab and actual grab sounds working together as intended?
filesize doesn't change much anyways, no matter if you change only 1 sound in a collection, the .sawnd file will be mostly always the same
Getting the sounds in there is not the problem haha... The problem is... I can't find where to change the sound for when someone gets grabbed. I've looked at all tha things... But no dice :(

Ah well at least we'll get that Melee wooshy goodness finally! It will require all the characters' .pac files to be edited to work 100%, so expect the General Melee SFX mod to be big-ish guise. Also... I'm gonna go back and redo even some MORE sfx for some of the cast (mostly the throw sounds since I've ripped the sound Melee uses for most of 'em). Still shooting for this weekend/early next week but don't hold your breath! (We all know how dates are with me...)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Oh yes, just to add.

I totally support the idea of Dr. Mario having Brawl Mario's voice. Only because Brawl Mario sounds more winded and tired, and Doc's gimmick has always been that he's sort of, well, out of shape.

Obskore

Smash Ace
Hey, your account was suspended? :(

Melee: :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :drmario: :meleefalcon Project M: :falcomelee: :drmario: :marthmelee: :falconmelee: Smash4: :4drmario: :4falco:
where do you bring that up from?
and i see you tried to compose your signature as an actual post, you should go take a look to your profile settings and make an actual signature
and welcome to SmashBoards!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Hey, your account was suspended? :(

64: :falconmelee:|Melee: :falconmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee: :drmario: |Brawl: :falcomelee: :foxmelee: |PM: :falcomelee: :falconmelee: :marthmelee: :roymelee::drmario:|Smash 4: :falcomelee: :drmario: :marthmelee:
Yeah mediafire can EAD (an acronym that I... won't say...)

I was in the process of switching all my mods to Dropbox anyway. So I'm not losing anything or whatever. Mediafire... Only cause I have Daft Punk BRSTMS on Brawl Vault. How rude! Who doesn't wanna listen to Daft Punk on a custom KC-MM Club stage???
and i see you tried to compose your signature as an actual post, you should go take a look to your profile settings and make an actual signature
^ Do that thing he said. And welcome! You're gonna love these new and improved mods once i upload them (fairly soon).

And I have to say it cause it's gonna be so awesome buuuut... Links Ocarina taunt is terrible in its current state. BUT! Melee SFX will see that improved.

Edit: I also wonder if anyone has as many PM mains as I do......

EditEdit: Also also I'm not sure they'll have the Electric damage thing. I tried it... And it screwed up the shield hits for some reason. I'm gonna try something else tonight tho and see if that works.

Last edited:

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
thanks! and yeah haha I wasn't sure how to just keep it as a signature or whatever so I just included it in the post lol thanks for not being a **** about it though! And I was just talking about how I can't download any of the Melee SFX'S from the start of this thread because MediaFire tells me that this account has been suspended..

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Just an update for you all. I'm having a slight issue with some sounds... and with Falco freezing things... I don't like it... At first it was shield sounds doing weird things. Now it's clanks... Hmmmmmm. WILL FIX SOON! It may be due to my attempt to add more sound slots for things and such.

Also a question: If anyone knows how I can edit Dedede, the 3 Pokemans (Zard, Ivy and the Squirt), as well as Nana. HALP! These chars and the sound and Falco freeze issues are the only problems that are keeping me from updating atm. I'll post around and see what I can find...

Obskore

Smash Ace
if i remember correctly, there's an issue with editing DDD's and some other chars with PSA, and i think there's an specific version for that, that maybe it

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
if i remember correctly, there's an issue with editing DDD's and some other chars with PSA, and i think there's an specific version for that, that maybe it
Ya I tried different versions of PSA... And I even tried (actually Shun did because for whatever reason my computer doesn't agree with it) Dantarion's PSAMod... which worked for Dedede, but it makes the Pokemon freeze... Annoying issue is annoying... lol

Moosewad

Smash Rookie
Well all the downloads are broken, and I personally just wanted Zelda's Star KO scream from melee back in PM so people can feel bad about it.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Is Amazerommu kill?
Well I was dead... And then someone casted Rez on mah Internet Explorer face and now I live... Also... I'll post what I posted in the Smash 3 Chat:
"[5:23:47 PM] AmaZeroMmu: Also:
[5:23:49 PM] AmaZeroMmu: Ahem
[5:24:07 PM] AmaZeroMmu: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I finally fixed the sound issue I was having on Melee SFX. Progress is indeed good
"

^ I'd literally been working on it all weekend and throughout the week until today... Now I can resume testing chars and such and fixing Falco's broken things and such...

Edit: But as a result I have to go through and edit EVERY character's .pac file again. Vanilla PM and Melee SFX modz alike... lol. And it's also good to know I'll be able to add some space to the .brsar for... possibly moar sawndz-ness in the future?

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
one lil thingy, Amazerommu, will the new update be WiFi compatible?
because when i used the WiFi safe version of the previous SFX pack, it desynced very often :T

Well I was dead... And then someone casted Rez on mah Internet Explorer face and now I live... Also... I'll post what I posted in the Smash 3 Chat:
"[5:23:47 PM] AmaZeroMmu: Also:
[5:23:49 PM] AmaZeroMmu: Ahem
[5:24:07 PM] AmaZeroMmu: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I finally fixed the sound issue I was having on Melee SFX. Progress is indeed good
"

^ I'd literally been working on it all weekend and throughout the week until today... Now I can resume testing chars and such and fixing Falco's broken things and such...

Edit: But as a result I have to go through and edit EVERY character's .pac file again. Vanilla PM and Melee SFX modz alike... lol. And it's also good to know I'll be able to add some space to the .brsar for... possibly moar sawndz-ness in the future?
what do you mean by this? like adding more .sawndz collection banks? o:
either way it sounds like something we should be excited for, lol

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
one lil thingy, Amazerommu, will the new update be WiFi compatible?
because when i used the WiFi safe version of the previous SFX pack, it desynced very often :T

what do you mean by this? like adding more .sawndz collection banks? o:
either way it sounds like something we should be excited for, lol
Oh well it's not too interesting. It just means I found a sort of... cheat to add more sound slots so that I don't have to replace any of the Brawl ones. Haha.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Amaze cmon now :((((. How's progress?
Patience is a wonderful thing to practice.
^ Thank you. I wanted to have these done by today but I don't think it's gonna happen. Have lots of things to do todaaaaay! I also got a new toy for Christmas... So I'll be playing with that for a bit when I'm done with all the festivus. And then I'll get back to working on this thing.

Just some info: It's taken me a while to fix all the sound issues I was having. I also had to change around where the wooshy Melee sounds play but I think all of that is fixed nao. A lot of playtesting took place, part of the reason it's been taking so much longer. Also PMBR did some... 'unorganized' things with their .pac files that I figured out after finishing a bunch of the chars. Which means now I have to go through and re-edit and then re-test them. (I've done a few chars already). Anyway Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
merry christmas and enjoy the holidays, Amazerommu!
this and the Smash 3 Project is what's been keeping me hype over the past 2 months
using these 2 mod packs at once will be one big of a combo :D

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
merry christmas and enjoy the holidays, Amazerommu!
this and the Smash 3 Project is what's been keeping me hype over the past 2 months
using these 2 mod packs at once will be one big of a combo :D
^ Dood you know the strat. That's what my custom build is gonna be comprised of. Smash 3 design looks too well when combined with Melee SFX. And the next update is gonna really wreck. Like all the characters have been upgraded in da bes way possible! (Especially Marth... He pretty much got the best treatment)

Edit: Also I'm gonna try to get some things done tonight... in spite of reeeeeaaaally wanting to play my PS4. Wish me luck! lol

Last edited:

TPW_ThatOneGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerry-ThatOneGuy
3DS FC
3239-4044-4959
Please update these to 3.5, and we'll love you!
Don't worry dude, just be patient. He's working on it as hard as he can. Just give him some time, because asking him these things isn't gonna make it come out faster ;).
Believe me, I'm just as excited as you, but calm down a bit.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Please update these to 3.5, and we'll love you!
Don't worry dude, just be patient. He's working on it as hard as he can. Just give him some time, because asking him these things isn't gonna make it come out faster ;).
Believe me, I'm just as excited as you, but calm down a bit.
I've literally been doing things aaaall day (meaning like 11AM to nao and still going) fixing up SFX. I've tested all but 3 (4?) chars nao and fixed hopefully all the issues they're having. Also I figured out how to give individual voice clips that echo effect like you hear for Star KO voice clips... That bodes well for Roy and Mewtwo (as well as others... maybe... perhaps... mayhaps... perbe?). I can get rid of those Star KO sounds that were being used before and have a much better quality echo effect actually done in-game. This makes meh happeh. I am sooooooo close guise! Just wait a bit longer! I'll have everything done as soon as I can... You have NO idea how many problems I've run into lol... Well... I'll explain basically what's been happening over and over below if you care to read. It's most of the reason this update has been taking so long:

Melee SFX: The Story So Far...

So... I started off working on replacing all the hit sfx. Before I was using some crappy rips that... well... you could blatantly tell the audio wasn't top tier... And... this being a Melee SFX project... Fox only allows top tier anything soooo... Those had to go... Upon replacing these sounds... For whatever strange reason (I blame Yo-yo glitch), other sounds decided to add a nasty clicking/popping and/or buzzing sound at the end. First one I noticed: the "JustShield" sound... This is the sound that plays when you power shield attacks, or power shielding projectiles while not reflecting them... Testing revealed this sound made some weird BUZZ noise whenever it occurred. The "parry" hits were also affected... I did a little sound magic and that was fixed... Then I added in the Melee wooshy sounds. Lo' and behold... those same sounds started acting up... I'd placed those sounds in a weird place though. And upon removing them from those WAV IDs... the problem was fixed... ish. I proceeded to do things as normally... and when getting around to testing again. Certain hit sfx were now causing one small "pop" sound at the end of them. At first it was the small sword hit. Fixed that. Then I noticed the small magic hit doing the exact same thing... Fixed that. Got around to testing Zelda... EVERY magic hit was doing that. Fixed all of those... not even sure how but I did... Did more things. Got to testing Mario... And for whatever reason Mario's coin hit sounded like hitting a Flanitor slot machine... If you don't know what a Flanitor is... look up vidz of FFXIII + Flanitor... any one of those games. Whenever coin hit happened, it would play what sounded like a slot machines lever being pulled followed by a very faint one of thoes Flanitor alarm thingies... Yeah... It was a thing. I fixed that and what happens? THE JUSTSHIELD SOUND MESSES UP AGAIN! So I've fixed that... And that's working fine today... Test Pikachu and Falcon... Pikachu's start-up sound for F-smash was making popping noises... Had to fix that. Falcon's "FALCOOOON!" Falcon Punch clip played a small pop at the end as well... Fixed that... Oh and before I discovered the magic hits... Bowser had weird things happening with one of the sounds for his Side-B... That's vanilla Bowser mind you. Not Melee Bowser. He's fine. But I test pretty thoroughly and when testing with normal Brawl Bowser, his Side-B always ended in a pop.

*Longest Sigh Ever*

Having fixed those problems... I haven't had any 'popping' sounds occur in a while and I've been able to test and edit... peacefully? Whatever... hopefully smooth sailing thus far. I'm still truckin!

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Ah apologies, i had no idea you were so rushed! Thanks for making these! even though i dont use em, its awesome to have vanilla Mario, Peach, Falcon...Roy (JK!)

And all the slashy sounds :D

You're doing the world a favour! Thanks!

Top Bottom