• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"melee mode" discussion

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Hitstun Cancelling wasn't actually that bad in Smash 4 as the window to act out was signifigantly reduced from Brawl. All Hitstun cancelling does really is just make combing at high percents more limited.
Except there is no reason not to cancel your hitstun. It's the exact same problem with L-Cancels: there is no actual depth added to the game.

If you want to limit combos at high percents, you have DI for that. The further someone goes, the more DI will influence their destination, thus limiting combos if the person DI's correctly.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Except there is no reason not to cancel your hitstun. It's the exact same problem with L-Cancels: there is no actual depth added to the game.

If you want to limit combos at high percents, you have DI for that. The further someone goes, the more DI will influence their destination, thus limiting combos if the person DI's correctly.
DI helps, but hitstun canceling ensures that the player can act out and retaliate fast enough when launched at high percents. Brawl's implementation of the mechanic was given an overly forgiving window due to the game's "Everybody wins" focus. But with Smash 4, the window was significantly nerfed. Thus if you want to use Hitstun cancelling, you need to make sure that you're in a position to do so, and that only happens at high percents. It's a mechanic that exists to ensure that the players are constantly interacting with each-other even as damage rises, Zero to death isn't interesting when it happens too often, so there there needs to be something in place to make it as rare as possible.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
DI helps, but hitstun canceling ensures that the player can act out and retaliate fast enough when launched at high percents. Brawl's implementation of the mechanic was given an overly forgiving window due to the game's "Everybody wins" focus. But with Smash 4, the window was significantly nerfed. Thus if you want to use Hitstun cancelling, you need to make sure that you're in a position to do so, and that only happens at high percents. It's a mechanic that exists to ensure that the players are constantly interacting with each-other even as damage rises, Zero to death isn't interesting when it happens too often, so there there needs to be something in place to make it as rare as possible.
Actually, you make a good point. But at the same time, since hitstun cancelling only really works at high percents, when wouldn't you use it? If the answer is just, "you always use it when it's available", then we've got a non-choice on our hands.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
If this video at the invitational is an instance of hitstun canceling, I personally think this is a bit too much. Kill moves and 0 to deaths should end in just that. KOs. Traditionally, survival DI is what earns you your survival and hitstun canceling cheapens the whole dynamic in my opinion.

If edgeguarding in this game is way more prominent than players just simply falling below to a safe position to recover without being threatened and recovering back to the ledge everytime then I wouldn't mind a little bit. But I still think something like this only serves to weaken the punish game dynamic which I dislike.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
If this video at the invitational is an instance of hitstun canceling, I personally think this is a bit too much. Kill moves and 0 to deaths should end in just that. KOs. Traditionally, survival DI is what earns you your survival and hitstun canceling cheapens the whole dynamic in my opinion.
I agree, but that's not the fault of Hitstun canceling. It's because the move doesn't have enough knock-back to be a reliable kill move, which is a separate issue entirely. Besides, who's to say that he didn't DI that?

If edgeguarding in this game is way more prominent than players just simply falling below to a safe position to recover without being threatened and recovering back to the ledge everytime then I wouldn't mind as much.
Do you really want edge-hogging to be meta again? Seriously, the Trump mechanics were perhaps one of Smash 4's best new additions. Like Hitstun canceling for high percents, Ledge Trumping ensures that the players are always interacting with each-other. It gives the player trying to recover a fair opportunity to do so, while also giving both players good punish options as they fight for survival. It helps make offstage play much more dynamic and interesting to watch than someone camping the ledge for a free kill. I'll admit it's implementation isn't the best. But with Ultimate's faster pace, and more aggressive focused gameplay, the offstage meta could be even more dynamic.

See, you did it again. You took that criticism of Melee and then tried to find an equivalence with Smash 4 to criticize that same point with. I get it, everybody gets it. You write all of these paragraphs yet still ignore the main point that manageable balance would be off the table with how many characters there would be. The point is that neither Melee's nor Smash 4's situation is ideal, and let's not get started with Brawl.

It makes me wonder why you are in this discussion. Your short track record indicates you usually have something to say and you're just a bit abrasive, which is understandable. We both love the competitive aspect of these games. But I really do think your bias of Melee is clouding your judgment of what others are saying. I didn't once see any support of Smash 4 in that comment you replied to. In fact, they blatantly criticize it. Why are you talking about this sort of thing like everyone is implicitly playing some sort of pissing contest against Melee and in support of Smash 4?

Don't think I'm trying to be hostile. Remember our back and forth in that other thread a while ago? You were far more composed and to the point there.

You sure PM wasn't more popular because they actually tried to do their own thing and thus it basically felt like another game separate from Melee? And it's funny how you say the melee mode would be "small changes" and then go on to list a bunch of characters that need to be "reverted", thus changing up a bunch of hitboxes and stats, changing a crap ton of physics, changing the stages, changing the balance of said characters, and not even to mention all the other characters that weren't in Melee, or do they not count? After all, I've seen so many people who support these sorts of mods say that Sheik, Fox, Falco, Peach, Jiggs, Cpt. Falcon, etc have to be better than other characters instead of caring about the others.

I think you just highlighted very clearly exactly why this not only couldn't happen, but shouldn't. You know, besides the fact that basically recreating Melee means recreating all the flaws of it as well when you don't have to.
I’m not sure where you are getting this bias from, is it because I’m not acknowledging the flaws in Melee? There are several to point out; phantom hits, ledge roll gives you way too much time on the edge, shine is busted, the skill gap between the average player compared to veterans is heavily skewed, Peach’s Down Smash, doubles isn’t that great. Does this help you?

If I was biased, I wouldn’t spend as much time as I have playing the game, practicing, watching videos, entering tournaments, following the meta game in general. If I had to put a time on it, ive only played a Melee for around 15-20 hours this year, and at least 100 for Smash 4. And while I enjoy them both, I know my preference based off how much I enjoyed the game as a whole.

And yeah, I can get abrasive, because I it gets aggravating seeing a bunch of people regurgitate dumb ****, and on top of that, it receives the most positive reception from the overwhelming majority of players who would probably go 0-2 in a tournament for any smash game, yet they claim to understand what the game is.

I don’t like when people spread false information I guess.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
I agree, but that's not the fault of Hitstun canceling. It's because the move doesn't have enough knock-back to be a reliable kill move, which is a separate issue entirely. Besides, who's to say that he didn't DI that?

Do you really want edge-hogging to be meta again? Seriously, the Trump mechanics were perhaps one of Smash 4's best new additions. Like Hitstun canceling for high percents, Ledge Trumping ensures that the players are always interacting with each-other. It gives the player trying to recover a fair opportunity to do so, while also giving both players good punish options as they fight for survival. It helps make offstage play much more dynamic and interesting to watch than someone camping the ledge for a free kill. I'll admit it's implementation isn't the best. But with Ultimate's faster pace, and more aggressive focused gameplay, the offstage meta could be even more dynamic.

I will admit that video is not really representative of a lot of things. It's 2v2 and a huge stage that definitely won't be legal. You need a lot of percent and knockback if you want to KO your foes. 1v1 will for sure have more damage on all moves. However I read somewhere that aerial moves have a fixed knockback multiplier that's less than x1.0 which is a bit worrying to me if hitstun cancelling is a thing.

What I said earlier was for a hypothetical melee mode that would never happen. I'm sure one day someone will make a mod of that where people play for fun like Brawl Minus. In the main game however, theres no place for edgehogging. Edgehogging had it's own interesting dynamic in Melee, but that's only because it was suited to how the characters actually feel in that game. If that's ported to Ultimate, it would be a disaster.

To me, ledge trumping is fine, especially in a game that is wholly different from Melee. One thing I noted when playing is that I had to rely on reading people from the ledge (should I go for ledge trump? or wait for them to use an option from ledge?). This isn't bad, but I think there should be more options than just trump or wait on stage to read my opponent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think some characters had moves that could intercept people below the ledge. If there is, then I think that option wasn't reliable or strong enough to do.

The bigger issue for me is seeing how recovering as a whole seems a lot stronger than edgeguarding (by that I mean going offstage to KO at normal kill percents AND gimping at low percents). Seems like there's more risk than reward to edgeguard, and as a result recovering seems more lax to do and then you default to the ledge trap game. I'm not sure if you could help me understand justifying the balance philosophy in that regard.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
However I read somewhere that aerial moves have a fixed knockback multiplier that's less than x1.0 which is a bit worrying to me if hitstun cancelling is a thing.
Short hop aerials do 0.85x damage, no modifier to knockback. In 1v1, items off matches, that actually combines with the 1.2x damage multiplier canceling both out, effectively dealing normal damage. Aerials not performed in a short hop will not be subject to the damage reduction, but it's unknown if short hop aerials will be hit by the damage reduction outside of 1v1s.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
God I hate all the politics in the smash community. Why can't we just have a competitive mode and a party mode. Sounds so damn simple to me

It's all really funny to me cause I am absolutely **** as a competitive player, but i much prefer the mechanics in melee and moreso project m. I like playing free for all with 4 players on project m. All the competitive ppl keep talking 1v1. I just want the damn game to move more quickly. Smash4 and brawl are soooo borringg!!!

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's all really funny to me cause I am absolutely **** as a competitive player, but i much prefer the mechanics in melee and moreso project m. I like playing free for all with 4 players on project m. All the competitive ppl keep talking 1v1. I just want the damn game to move more quickly. Smash4 and brawl are soooo borringg!!!
And I just want the game to not respond the slightest move of my control stick and send me to death.

We all have preferences.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Nothing is ever easy.
It realy should be. Why does everyone need to keep arguing. Party mode for casuals, competitive mode for ppl that wana go ham.

Casuals actually really annoy me (hear me out) cause honestly I'm a casual player. Like I said I cant play against any competitive players. I don't wavedash or use any advanced techs. I play with friends of equal skill and we get competitive with each other. But none of us enjoy smash 4 or brawl cause again as I said, they are slow and boring. I don't get why anyone would prefer smash4 or brawls gameplay to melee or project m's. The only thing I can see pulling ppl to them is the roster. And man do I want to play with that roster! But I can't when it's so slow.

And I just want the game to not respond the slightest move of my control stick and send me to death.

We all have preferences.
Wtf are u talking about lol

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
It realy should be. Why does everyone need to keep arguing. Party mode for casuals, competitive mode for ppl that wana go ham.

Casuals actually really annoy me (hear me out) cause honestly I'm a casual player. Like I said I cant play against any competitive players. I don't wavedash or use any advanced techs. I play with friends of equal skill and we get competitive with each other. But none of us enjoy smash 4 or brawl cause again as I said, they are slow and boring. I don't get why anyone would prefer smash4 or brawls gameplay to melee or project m's. The only thing I can see pulling ppl to them is the roster. And man do I want to play with that roster! But I can't when it's so slow.
But Ultimate is fast, and as a...competitive wannabe (mark my words, Ultimate is where I finally shine) the new changes to the game seem to appease everyone. It has a lot of things Melee had like the advanced tech and faster movement, but all the other good things the new ones have. Like airdodges not sucking and getting rid of ledge hogging.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Wtf are u talking about lol
I think he is referencing that we all have different interpretations of "fun". I played melee competitively up til smash 4 came out and I can tell you 100% that I just straight up prefer the pacing of smash 4 (before bayo became a thing anyway #stillmysecondary). The reason everything is hard to reason is because of said differences in our preferences.

As for "melee mode" I'd be cool with it, and I won't pretend like I wouldn't play it alot lol, but it would bring more problems than it's worth. You'd need the manpower to create and balance the mode, and unless you want to have a broken mess (ironic really when you think of melee ;p) you'd need manpower to continue it's balance, all while doing the same for the main game. And let's not forget the stupid unnecessary drama that would bring to tournaments when it comes to which mode would be meta since I doubt we'd really create 2 tournaments for the same game just using a different mode.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
But Ultimate is fast, and as a...competitive wannabe (mark my words, Ultimate is where I finally shine) the new changes to the game seem to appease everyone. It has a lot of things Melee had like the advanced tech and faster movement, but all the other good things the new ones have. Like airdodges not sucking and getting rid of ledge hogging.
I hope you're right! I can't tell how fast movement is. And I can't tell how the kb decay will feel, or how gravity is in ultimate. One of the worst things in brawl and shash 4 is the floatyness due to kb and gravity

I think he is referencing that we all have different interpretations of "fun". I played melee competitively up til smash 4 came out and I can tell you 100% that I just straight up prefer the pacing of smash 4 (before bayo became a thing anyway #stillmysecondary). The reason everything is hard to reason is because of said differences in our preferences.

As for "melee mode" I'd be cool with it, and I won't pretend like I wouldn't play it alot lol, but it would bring more problems than it's worth. You'd need the manpower to create and balance the mode, and unless you want to have a broken mess (ironic really when you think of melee ;p) you'd need manpower to continue it's balance, all while doing the same for the main game. And let's not forget the stupid unnecessary drama that would bring to tournaments when it comes to which mode would be meta since I doubt we'd really create 2 tournaments for the same game just using a different mode.
I don't know what he means by his button inputs being.. too responsive? I didn't realize responsive controls were a bad thing lol.

And to your latter point, I hate the damn drama and all the politics in the community. Why can't we all just have fun however we want?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I hope you're right! I can't tell how fast movement is. And I can't tell how the kb decay will feel, or how gravity is in ultimate. One of the worst things in brawl and smash 4 is the floatyness due to kb and gravity
Hard to say how things will turn out, kinda looks like Melee ground movement with SSB4 air movement but with Melee's airdodge and much smaller ledge sweetspots. Has better dash dancing (actually more like fox trotting if you care to split hairs) and wavedashing (kinda sucks) and wavelanding (not as good as it once was but not was bad as wavedashing is now). It will take some time before we can see, but I believe the pace will be faster.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hard to say how things will turn out, kinda looks like Melee ground movement with SSB4 air movement but with Melee's airdodge and much smaller ledge sweetspots. Has better dash dancing (actually more like fox trotting if you care to split hairs) and wavedashing (kinda sucks) and wavelanding (not as good as it once was but not was bad as wavedashing is now). It will take some time before we can see, but I believe the pace will be faster.
Ya that's what concerns me most. The air movement. But that's why ithink a "melee mode" would be easy to implement. Just adjust gravity, kb and jump heights and you're set. It doesn't have to be an exact copy of melee.

Edit: jump height is very important, especially for up b's cause in smash 4, making it high gravity breaks a lot of characters' up b vertical distance. It's an unfortunate side effect, but is the main thing that needs fixing that can't be fixed by players without hacking.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what he means by his button inputs being.. too responsive? I didn't realize responsive controls were a bad thing lol.
It's because melee's ultra responsive controls can make some people have some accidental mis-inputs, and smash 4's slightly delayed inputs (not counting active buffering) result in less control mishaps of that nature. It is worth noting though, that it is dependent on player dexterity hence the preference. Someone could be used to the ultra fast response that melee has while floundering in smash 4 because they don't know the buffering windows and vice versa with misinputs due to melee giving you direct control faster and not reacting/knowing that they can react fast enough.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
It's because melee's ultra responsive controls can make some people have some accidental mis-inputs, and smash 4's slightly delayed inputs (not counting active buffering) result in less control mishaps of that nature. It is worth noting though, that it is dependent on player dexterity hence the preference. Someone could be used to the ultra fast response that melee has while floundering in smash 4 because they don't know the buffering windows and vice versa with misinputs due to melee giving you direct control faster and not reacting/knowing that they can react fast enough.
Ya I definitely hate the buffers lol. Those btw completely ruin Ryu. I mean Ryu shouldn't even have clasic inputs, but with the buffer that totally messes him up. I like the attempt to fix him in 1v1, but how about when ppl play 1v1v1v1?

Also, that's another toggle we could use - buffer window toggle. That would be perfect

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thanks, that was what I'm talking about.

I prefer later games, since I don't have to practice for recovery, smashes and such, after not playing for a while.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Ya I definitely hate the buffers lol. Those btw completely ruin Ryu. I mean Ryu shouldn't even have clasic inputs, but with the buffer that totally messes him up. I like the attempt to fix him in 1v1, but how about when ppl play 1v1v1v1?

Also, that's another toggle we could use - buffer window toggle. That would be perfect
Buffer window toggle was actually a thing in smash 4 3ds

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
God I hate all the politics in the smash community. Why can't we just have a competitive mode and a party mode. Sounds so damn simple to me
If you want my view on it, it makes people who want a Melee mode pretty goddamn petty and ungrateful. Sakurai is doing his best. You ever see Harry Potter? Melee mode advocates are almost literally Dudley.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Thanks, that was what I'm talking about.

I prefer later games, since I don't have to practice for recovery, smashes and such, after not playing for a while.
Are u playing with pros? Usually my friends and I are all on the same pagewhen we play.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If you want my view on it, it makes people who want a Melee mode pretty goddamn petty and ungrateful. Sakurai is doing his best. You ever see Harry Potter? Melee mode advocates are almost literally Dudley.
The easiest thing for Sakurai to have done was to keep the melee engine and build off it rather than remaking the engine 2 more times. I get he's doing his best, and he's doing quite a great job on ultimate, you won't hear me bash him on it, but the whole "melee is too hard" crap makes no sense. Nintendo games have always been about being difficult to master. I don't know when it became about "fun for everyone" (which translates to easy for everyone).

Nope, I'm an eternal noob.
And u always suck when facing anyone? Lol

Buffer window toggle was actually a thing in smash 4 3ds
O really? I haven't seen it lol. Does it actually reduce the lag to make it close to melees responsiveness? And where in the options?

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
You are are wearing quite a pair of blinders if Nintendo's focus on making its game, let's say more accessible to a casual audience has passed you by.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
The easiest thing for Sakurai to have done was to keep the melee engine and build off it rather than remaking the engine 2 more times. I get he's doing his best, and he's doing quite a great job on ultimate, you won't hear me bash him on it, but the whole "melee is too hard" crap makes no sense. Nintendo games have always been about being difficult to master. I don't know when it became about "fun for everyone" (which translates to easy for everyone).
It would have also been easier for Sakurai to just port Smash 4 on the Wii U + some 3DS content and call it a day. Nintendo has always been about fun for everyone but not even Kaizo Mario players have the same level of strain that Melee players have. He figures that there's a way to make the game not as strenuous on the hands but also wants it to be accessible to new people as well, and Melee isn't accessible to new people unlike Smash 4, Brawl, and probably Ultimate.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If you're going to have Smash Ultimate play like Melee then you're gonna have Melee players play it like Melee.
Because all Melee players are married to gamecube controllers and Melee never gains any new players, and no one who doesn't already play Melee would buy a new game that plays like Melee. Got it.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
It would have also been easier for Sakurai to just port Smash 4 on the Wii U + some 3DS content and call it a day. Nintendo has always been about fun for everyone but not even Kaizo Mario players have the same level of strain that Melee players have. He figures that there's a way to make the game not as strenuous on the hands but also wants it to be accessible to new people as well, and Melee isn't accessible to new people unlike Smash 4, Brawl, and probably Ultimate.
porting and using the same engine is NOT the same thing. remaking engines over and over is absolutely stupid and inefficient. im sorry people, it is such a waste of time and resources, and is completely un necessary. if it aint broken don't fix it... or in this case.. if it works, make it better rather than starting over lol.

You are are wearing quite a pair of blinders if Nintendo's focus on making its game, let's say more accessible to a casual audience has passed you by.
What u mean?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Again, it would be better to make "competitive mode" a separate game. That way, they can introduce new mechanics, freshen up the roster with new movesets, and build on what Melee offered.

Ya that's what concerns me most. The air movement. But that's why ithink a "melee mode" would be easy to implement. Just adjust gravity, kb and jump heights and you're set. It doesn't have to be an exact copy of melee.
...you okay..? Your writing suddenly looks like you became an average GameFAQs poster.

Anyway, if all you're hoping for is faster pace, as others have said, that's what Ultimate does. But Melee just can't solely be defined by fast pace. There are its weak defensive options and emergent advanced tech as well.

Again, that sort of thing is best reserved for a separate game.

The easiest thing for Sakurai to have done was to keep the melee engine and build off it rather than remaking the engine 2 more times.
And lose advancements like autolink angles, Meteors that actually work, and the ability to use characters with awesome mechanics like the Inklings? There's a reason for everything.

porting and using the same engine is NOT the same thing. remaking engines over and over is absolutely stupid and inefficient. im sorry people, it is such a waste of time and resources, and is completely un necessary. if it aint broken don't fix it... or in this case.. if it works, make it better rather than starting over lol.

What u mean?
Again, what is with your writing? One moment your posts are written with reason and nice thought, and another you become a GameFAQs poster.

This really shouldn't be a big deal, but it's incredibly distracting to me.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
By the way.. everyone who says melee is dead, or move on, and sakurai has moved on etc... if we're supposed to move on, why in the world does sakurai go out of his way to make smash always be compatible with gamecube controllers? *dab*

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Because all Melee players are married to gamecube controllers and Melee never gains any new players, and no one who doesn't already play Melee would buy a new game that plays like Melee. Got it.
That's not what I mean.

What I mean is "If Melee players haven't gone to fight sticks then the main demographic of a Melee mode, Melee players, would not use fight sticks."

What u mean?
Even if Sakurai did use the same engine, he would have made it not as competitive as Melee in anyway he could.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
What I mean is "If Melee players haven't gone to fight sticks then the main demographic of a Melee mode, Melee players, would not use fight sticks."
Again you assume that the main demographic of a Melee mode would be Melee players. A new game with Melee physics would attract many more players. Besides that, there are specific issues with the translation of a Gamecube controller to a fight stick that are contentious, but with a new game (with digital inputs to boot), an official fight stick would be much more appealing and accepted.

Top Bottom