• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
That's awesome news! My SD card wasn't large enough for both Melee and PM, so this makes it a lot easier to have both of them.

This'll give me the incentive to finish replacing all the music in Melee. The only thing I'd done that was decent was stick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCzpfZD9jU on DL64 and get it to loop perfectly.

And I stuck Nyan Cat on RC, but I could never get the loop quite right on that.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Another question...

Have graphical effects been figured out? I mean, the ones that are assigned. If you use the Master Hand program and open up a Pl**.dat file, some moves have "Graphic Effect" parts to them. How exactly do those things work? I was able to swap Bowser's fsmash effect so that he does an explosion (like Giga Bowser's fsmash)... yet I cannot find effects like Peach's Side-B explosion.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
CC BB -- -- TT TT -- -- ZZ ZZ YY YY XX XX ZR ZR YR YR XR XR

CC: Command
BB: bone attached
TT: Graphic ID
ZZ: Z-axis
YY: Y-axis
XX: X-axis
ZR: Z-rotation
YR: Y-rotation
XR: X-rotation

Unsure if size modifier even exists.

Peach's is in a hidden subaction or something. I could probably find it, but not right now.

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen any mention of it, but Dios Mios came out a couple weeks ago, so now you can load Melee from a USB drive (even easier than using an SD card). That means that you can quickly switch your textures and music without burning a new disc. I wish that there was more activity here because the texture and music threads haven't been updated in a while, and they desperately need better organization.
I tried using Dios Mios to play Melee and was wondering if anyone else had the same experience as I did.

It was practically unplayable. Load times are excruciating. I queued up a ditto and it took five minutes to load... Subsequent games with the same characters are okay (as would be expected) but for anything besides testing new mods (which I can do in Dolphin anyways) it's not practical.

Has anyone else had a better experience? Maybe it's my setup / USB drive? Does DM-L do this? I'd like to be able to be able to mod the game frequently without burning through my supply of DVD-Rs.

Steelia

Smash Champion
DML works just fine for me, though I'd use version 1.4b ... the latest revision (1.5) simply booted whatever disc was in the Wii, and I don't know why it does that...

As far as DIOS MIOS goes, I tried it as well, and it wouldn't work at all. I'd try to load from SD, but it wouldn't read. For now, I think it's best to stick with DML r1.4b and wait it out until the newer DIOS MIOS Booter buffs out with updates.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I tried using Dios Mios to play Melee and was wondering if anyone else had the same experience as I did.

It was practically unplayable. Load times are excruciating. I queued up a ditto and it took five minutes to load... Subsequent games with the same characters are okay (as would be expected) but for anything besides testing new mods (which I can do in Dolphin anyways) it's not practical.

Has anyone else had a better experience? Maybe it's my setup / USB drive? Does DM-L do this? I'd like to be able to be able to mod the game frequently without burning through my supply of DVD-Rs.
It must be something about your Wii or your USB drive. I've been loading Melee from an 8GB flash drive for the past week and it's imperceptible from my original Melee disc. I literally haven't had a single problem loading or playing the game (and I've tested out several Gamecube games with Dios Mios, so I'm familiar with how they act when they do have problems).

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
It must be something about your Wii or your USB drive. I've been loading Melee from an 8GB flash drive for the past week and it's imperceptible from my original Melee disc. I literally haven't had a single problem loading or playing the game (and I've tested out several Gamecube games with Dios Mios, so I'm familiar with how they act when they do have problems).
Huh. That's good news. I'll try it with another flash drive. Hope it's that, because remodding the Wii is such a pain... I hadn't modded my Wii since 2010 and nothing worked when I tried changing stuff. I had to practically re-mod it.

Do you know the transfer rate your drive is rated for?

Steelia

Smash Champion
CC BB -- -- TT TT -- -- ZZ ZZ YY YY XX XX ZR ZR YR YR XR XR

CC: Command
BB: bone attached
TT: Graphic ID
ZZ: Z-axis
YY: Y-axis
XX: X-axis
ZR: Z-rotation
YR: Y-rotation
XR: X-rotation

Unsure if size modifier even exists.

Peach's is in a hidden subaction or something. I could probably find it, but not right now.
Thanks for that. Too bad about the size modifier, that was something I was trying to look for, haha. :p

Even more questions . . .
Magus was able to post codes that "integrated" with the disc image of the game... like making Tournament Mode into the debug menu.
Is there a way to make it so that Team Battle costume slots can be swapped? Like putting Red Team Pikachu onto his default instead. Or making Red Team Peach from her default to her white costume. I don't know if this has ever been looked into, but it might turn out helpful for people who have textures that don't correspond color-wise with a costume.

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
So I tried reformatting the USB drive to 32KB FAT32 instead of the default 4096B (4KB). Don't know why I didn't try this before but holy s***. What a difference. Loads just as fast as the disc.

Farewell, DVD-R with "Ghetto Melee" written on it, hello USB!

So I was trying to edit the character select icons to replace zelda with sheik... Thought I'd just replace the text to make sure I knew what I was doing first (ha) and this is the result:

EDIT: Got it working. Apparently those placeholders are there for a reason >_>

Does anybody know how to replace the text under a character i.e. "Zelda" becomes "Sheik"?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Zelda's roster icon offset hex starts at
0002dca0
and her roster icon palette (32 lines, so 256 indexed colors) goes at offset
0002eaa0
in MnSlChr.USD

The name is apart of her actual icon, so when you edit the icon, simply swap out the "ZELDA" text with "SHEIK". And make the background of her picture transparent. :)

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
I got all that working. The only thing is the actual name "Zelda" that is shown in the name selection place. It's not a texture - if you try dumping it you just get the "Z" "e" "l" "d" "a" textures. And switching those wouldn't be so great. Mkrth, Faeco, Ckptkin Fkecon anyone?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
So I tried reformatting the USB drive to 32KB FAT32 instead of the default 4096B (4KB). Don't know why I didn't try this before but holy s***. What a difference. Loads just as fast as the disc.
Yeah, um, the site did specifically say that you needed to do that >_> Congrats on getting it working. It will be so much better for using hacks.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Update some floats for Link, Kirby and Game and Watch. Will add Pichu sometime later. Kirby has such a disgustingly huge amount of floats I barely scraped the surface.

Does anyone know an efficient way to capture footage from the Dolphin and convert it into a gif by any chance?

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
If you record a video with Dolphin, you should be able to stick the avi in VirtualDub and export a gif.

Though I should note I've had playback problems with gifs from vdub.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Huh...
I really need to get back to my HQ project. XD Been getting carried away with stuff like this. Feels like I'm experiencing SSBM all over again.

A small preview of something I'm working on. It'll probably be a while before . . . well, we'll see. (=

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
everytime he shoots a laser, he should yell TIGER!

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
I did a major overhaul of the Melee Attributes page to more clearly display values. There was no point in writing a value that goes nine digits past the decimal point when a shorter value (which is probably the intended value) will convert to the same float. I also added all the attribute differences between NTSC and PAL.

Aren't the gifs from vdub really huge? I know that I also had an issue with the colors when it exported as well.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I haven't really done that much with it, I was just throwing it out there.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Hm, for some reason, linking it within text seems to be problematic.

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApT3mKrcXjEhdHpDWTB3UllaeFFDVDdISGViaGg5Qmc&authkey=CN7nm-UD
Copy/pasting the above seems to work.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hm, for some reason, linking it within text seems to be problematic.

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApT3mKrcXjEhdHpDWTB3UllaeFFDVDdISGViaGg5Qmc&authkey=CN7nm-UD
Copy/pasting the above seems to work.
Oyy, just a heads-up on the Attributes thing, hope you don't mind if I changed column BM (offset 00FC). That's the "Victory Screen Window Model Scaling". Quite a mouthful. XD
It changes the size of the model of a char in the victory screen window (when they're clapping for victor).

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Oyy, just a heads-up on the Attributes thing, hope you don't mind if I changed column BM (offset 00FC). That's the "Victory Screen Window Model Scaling". Quite a mouthful. XD
Yes, of course, editing it is exactly what it's there for! I think a lot of the stuff that's unlabeled is unknown only because there hasn't been extensive testing, not because someone couldn't figure it out. This is controlled by something in there, I think.

I think the actual page is owned by Dantarion, but I think I'm the only one who's made any edits in the last forever...I'd bet that most of the anonymous edits are mine.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Sypher, I saw that you added the floats for pikachu's self-hit range on thunder. You have horizontal, vertical, and then you also have one that's labelled the range. I think it's actually X axis of range, Y axis of range, and size of range.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Can anyone here upload the default unedited Green Greens for me? I replaced mine with that Smashville hack but I forgot to back it up so now I can't change it back.

Milun

Smash Ace
Can anyone here upload the default unedited Green Greens for me? I replaced mine with that Smashville hack but I forgot to back it up so now I can't change it back.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I think VietGeek and I are to blame for that eh?

That reminds me. For those of you who don't know, we released a new, revised version of the stage which gets rid of the crashing in 1P, the glitch with Falcon and Ganon, and Whispy Woods behaving strangely:

http://youtu.be/apuS--1HdcU

And, coming soon:

That actually reminds me. Who thinks I should remove the floating castle? I mean it's mostly a visual thing, but it looks a bit bad floating there.

Steelia

Smash Champion
And, coming soon:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aM_gT8vAF9E/UBHZk4HewbI/AAAAAAAAAV4/l7DEa3Siaks/s647/Hyrule.png

That actually reminds me. Who thinks I should remove the floating castle? I mean it's mostly a visual thing, but it looks a bit bad floating there.
Project M made a version like that, only they shoved the castle wayyyy in the background, and turned it... sideways, I think? Didn't look too bad. I'm guessing that can't be done?
If not, getting rid of the whole thing isn't a problem with me, either. :p

I still need to update with the new GrGr... Is the newest version textured at all?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If you get rid of the whole thing, I think you should come up with a new background. If you could take the normal rest of the stage, and make that a background, that would be pretty cool. I don't know much about all this, though, so don't know if it would be possible.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I think VietGeek and I are to blame for that eh?

That reminds me. For those of you who don't know, we released a new, revised version of the stage which gets rid of the crashing in 1P, the glitch with Falcon and Ganon, and Whispy Woods behaving strangely:
The old version that I had was the semi-fixed one that fixed the Falcon/Ganondorf thing but still froze on multi-Kirby in Adventure mode. But actually the reason that I needed to get rid of it is because I'm doing a 1P mode competition on another site and I can't have any hacks in my game. I don't care about the normal Green Greens and I'll probably put your hack back in my game when the competition's over :p

Milun

Smash Ace
Project M made a version like that, only they shoved the castle wayyyy in the background, and turned it... sideways, I think?

I still need to update with the new GrGr... Is the newest version textured at all?
Yep, I'm aware that Project Ganondorf-is-overpowered-M has that. It's where I got the idea. Besides, I've delayed hacking the Temple for too long, I figured any hack would do.

Now, about Green Greens. Sorry bub, this one's not textured. I've decided to upload untextured stages from this point (unless it's a special occasion), and let people apply whichever textures they want (I got a few complaints last time I uploaded Green Greens because it was textured).

Sorry.

Also, I have to say this. Now, I CAN remove the castle, buuuuuuuuuuuuut... It looks horrible without it. You'll see what I mean when I upload it.

The old version that I had was the semi-fixed one that fixed the Falcon/Ganondorf thing but still froze on multi-Kirby in Adventure mode. But actually the reason that I needed to get rid of it is because I'm doing a 1P mode competition on another site and I can't have any hacks in my game. I don't care about the normal Green Greens and I'll probably put your hack back in my game when the competition's over :p
Hm... ok. Just be sure to put in the new one when you're ready. The old ones apparently had a rare freezing glitch in Vs. mode with Fox.

EDIT: Man, my Dolphin's been getting on my nerves lately. It used to run at 100%, now it runs at 100% then randomly decides to run at 50% till I reboot.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Saw the hidden message.

The stage is well done, it's definitely qualified to be a neutral level, but I still love the original Hyrule for non serious matches. I can't decide if I want to use this or not.

Can you still land on the platform underneath the main part of the level if you go from below or is just visual and not solid?

Top Bottom