• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Yeah but I have no intention to learn everything there is to know about hacking. Ever. I just want teh kewl maylay myoozeck n cullerz.
that's just what I was expecting
you just want to mod melee is all

well... I've not had any trouble with GC-Tool... yet...

everything to hack, rip, and convert with can be found on my old site:
http://smashbrosfiles.blogspot.com

there really isn't anything you need but common sence when replacing the files ;)

if you have any Q's, feel free to ask :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'll probably send you a PM in the next few days. I'm gonna be a tad busy so bear with me (i'm sure you're just dying to hear from me ;))

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I'll probably send you a PM in the next few days. I'm gonna be a tad busy so bear with me (i'm sure you're just dying to hear from me ;))
lol KK :p
*closes newly opened chat window*

heh... tell me about it...
I've got skool for the next 3 days and have to put up with a cold... DX

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Alright you guys, I've had an idea. Melee Minus.

It'll be like all the fun of regular Melee, except stupid!

I'm thinking like, creative, funny, over emphasized attacks.

For example, making Captain Falcon's Knee Fire element, up-ping the damage, and changing the angle to something silly.

Lemme know what you guys think, and maybe we can assign people an individual character to study, and
alter. It would help us find attack off sets, and give us lol-age.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
naw... I was actually thinking of Melee- as something more like Brawl-

I've been trying to get there actually...
but have gotten nowhere :p

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Steelia, what settings are your TV, and SD media launcher? I was playing with the settings and of course got different results so I wish to know which settings do you have it on?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I want to start hacking but I don't have the tools to hack nor any idea where to begin. should I just read this? seems like it might be a bit too confusing for me

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
^ read the guide on page 1 and download the programs. You'll want to know as much as you can. its really not that hard to do textures

hey anyone thought about making some kind of box art for hacked Melee? Like a logo or a picture? i thought we could make something that shows off some of the best textures. As an example of what i have in mind i did this really quick.

I changed Peach Luigi Kirby Link and Marth. Just a suggestion. i dont want my disc to say "project melee" in cruddy sharpie and in a blank cd case

ss118

Smash Master
Don't you guys think we should try to edge in game changing hacks with the balance patch before we go in the degree of melee-? >_>"

But yeah, I'm learning how to edit hitboxes and stuff. I'll eventually post changes and results here.

Milun

Smash Ace
Alright you guys, I've had an idea. Melee Minus.

It'll be like all the fun of regular Melee, except stupid!

I'm thinking like, creative, funny, over emphasized attacks.

For example, making Captain Falcon's Knee Fire element, up-ping the damage, and changing the angle to something silly.

Lemme know what you guys think, and maybe we can assign people an individual character to study, and
alter. It would help us find attack off sets, and give us lol-age.
In my tampering with Action Replay, I've found several codes (made by others) to make "super characters". These did make the game rather odd, although some of the codes were a little offbalance (Bowser has a 1-frame OHKO move).

I say this because you should test them out on Melee before hacking, to see what Melee- might be like. It's not too pleasant.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
found something

Left/right platform : 1A734/1A774
Bubble : 1A434

however,
the collision for the platforms are the same :c
i wasn't able to move their collisions...

Milun

Smash Ace
Yes, unfortunately that is quite common. If a platform doesn't have special properties, then it never has collisions relative to it's model. Makes hacking it all that much harder.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I want to start hacking but I don't have the tools to hack nor any idea where to begin. should I just read this? seems like it might be a bit too confusing for me
1: You need to first get hold of a Melee ISO. Google for a torrent.

2A: You must also download the Dolphin Emulator so that you can test out your hacks.

2B: There's also that new method that Steelia revealed, which will allow you to test your hacks on a GameCube system without having to waste DVDs.

3: Download the GC-Tool for replacing GCN ISO files.

4A: Download The GIMP to modify the textures.

4B: Regarding the indexed textures (the ones that end with 08+1, 08+2, 09+1, and 09+2), you'll need Adobe Photoshop in order to properly index them. That program isn't free, however, and it's recommended that you get hold of Photoshop CS3 or CS4.

5: Download the dumped textures that Steelia uploaded. He hasn't covered all of the color slots though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^you made that a LOT harder than it needed to be.

1. download iso
2. download gc-tool
3. download texture hack (sometimes includes gc-tool)
4. test in dolphin or burn to dvd

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
1: You need to first get hold of a Melee ISO. Google for a torrent.

2A: You must also download the Dolphin Emulator so that you can test out your hacks.

2B: There's also that new method that Steelia revealed, which will allow you to test your hacks on a GameCube system without having to waste DVDs.

3: Download the GC-Tool for replacing GCN ISO files.

4A: Download The GIMP to modify the textures.

4B: Regarding the indexed textures (the ones that end with 08+1, 08+2, 09+1, and 09+2), you'll need Adobe Photoshop in order to properly index them. That program isn't free, however, and it's recommended that you get hold of Photoshop CS3 or CS4.

5: Download the dumped textures that Steelia uploaded. He hasn't covered all of the color slots though.
Ok, ok!
I want to know one thing...
I don't want Steelia textures, I want to extract them, not hacking...
Also, what are those TPL files? They are on the dat? (I know TPL use in such games, like Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii...)

I want to extract the dats, from the characters, and hack may later, or something

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yes, unfortunately that is quite common. If a platform doesn't have special properties, then it never has collisions relative to it's model. Makes hacking it all that much harder.
I don't understand what that means

libertyernie

Smash Ace
If you want to extract the textures, then (at least for now) you'll need to run the game in Dolphin. Steelia posted a bunch of the default textures in RAR files somewhere in this thread.
Also, @MnSG: I think I got GIMP to work with indexed files, but I don't remember what the trick was.

Milun

Smash Ace
I don't understand what that means
Yes Tcll is right there.

An example:

Say um... the right platform on Battlefield is at point 20 on the X - axis, and has a width of 5 on each side.

The collisions in the hex, if they were relative to it, would be +/- 5. But if they weren't relative to it, they would be 15, 25, and moving the model of the platform wouldn't change the collision position, because it isn't relative.

Rykard

Smash Ace
so is there any sort of guide on converting costumes to different colors?

I made that thread but figured it would be best if i knew how to do it myself

also is it possible to make CSP's in GIMP?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
well I'm gonna stop procrastinating and actually start working on my converter... XD

I don't want to have to post in too many places...
so I'm gonna carry out dev of my converter on my forum...
http://tcll5850.proboards.com

I've finally gotten the plugin system to work,
so now I can actually start progging :D

I need to get moar members on my forum anyways :p

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
If you want to extract the textures, then (at least for now) you'll need to run the game in Dolphin. Steelia posted a bunch of the default textures in RAR files somewhere in this thread.
Also, @MnSG: I think I got GIMP to work with indexed files, but I don't remember what the trick was.
Huh, I have Dolphin, and SSBM iso, I got see...
Thanks
If the problem persists, I will ask Steelia, how her/he ripped

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
tcll i was basically gonna talk to you about the converter. I have plans to work on one myself, so for the sake of the community i suggest we have a quick talk to decide if we will directly compete with each other or split tasks or work together on the same project (not likely, you work in python right?)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
So uh, not sure if this is the right place to talk about this or if I'm just spitting out old information. My bad if so.

Me and my friend were playing on the new Green Greens a lot. All was well. Then about 3 matches in, the Tree (Whispy?) went ****ing nuts. He started shooting apples out like every 20 seconds? and wind about the same amount. Also, my friend seemed to "hit something" in the ground twice or so (he was marth, did dair into ground).

Also, the stage freezes in Adventure Mode when you have to fight the kirby team. not really a big deal, just throwing it out there.

Love the stage, though, by the way. Was pretty weird cause many times, the stage would blow wind at most once or twice. Then sometimes it was like LMAO APPLES!!! We made the joke that, depending on how exciting our matchup was, Whispy would get really excited about it. (Marth v Falcon being the most exciting, apparently)

Again, keep up the good work, everyone! It's REALLY appreciated!

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
tcll i was basically gonna talk to you about the converter. I have plans to work on one myself, so for the sake of the community i suggest we have a quick talk to decide if we will directly compete with each other or split tasks or work together on the same project (not likely, you work in python right?)
well uh...
how do I say this :p

me and another dude are doing kindof a "team competition" as I guess you could say...

basically...
a team of people who want to build their own converters but are sharing the info amongst each other...

why don't you join :D
it'd be great to have another member with us :)
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=17547.0

and yea...
I progg in Py

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Someone who knows how to vertex hack Melee could add me on MSN, that'd be great. I have a few ideas I'd like to actually DO. l-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s@live.com

EDIT: Maybe I'll break out my Tablet and draw up some concept sketches so I can show everyone my plans... I want to make an entirely new hack for all of the characters in my own style, I think it would be spiffy.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
look what i found with the pause screen. oh the possibilities

so far i can only change the left side of the screen and those little rectangles on the top right. The dolphin doesn't dump the other stuff

Top Bottom