• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

smakis

Smash Ace
you could you know... not be lazy and do your own? replace all unused soundfiles with that 75kb file, replace all video files with one of the small videofiles, voila, space for long soundfiles.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
He's trying to, he just needs a blank ISO.

Koopa, email sleepk's auto-responder email, which is in the (iirc) third post. It'll give you a blank v1.0 melee with most stages being 14:02 in length and all victory themes 0:36 in length.

smakis

Smash Ace
i know, and all he needs to do is google for a normal ntsc disc, swap the files like i explained above and he would have a blank iso

Gardevior

Smash Lord
While true, it's generally just easier to use sleepyk's, as his doens't have any texture hacks or actual music on it, so it's essentially a blank disc. Any further swapping files on sleepy's iso (I know that he doesn't have ALL of the stagesongs at 14:02) can be done as you explained.

My reasoning in suggesting it was that if he were lazy enough not to use Google for a melee iso, he would just as soon email sleepyk for an iso than he would google for an iso, download it, then try to figure out GCRebuilder and swap all the files out.

I get where you were coming from, though. :)

smakis

Smash Ace
sleepyk's iso is not completly blank though, fourside has some weird spaced out texture (lol =D), corneria has the n64 background and i some stages had songs? (i know the last one is pretty stupid rofl)

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
Trhee isos of Sleepik contains

1 - Only change all hps to songs of 14:00 min

2 - Change all hps to songs of 14 min and includes edited audio

2 - Change all hps to songs of 14 min and includes edited audio and textures

nube

Smash Apprentice
Side-B Colour Change

Just like changing lasers, side-b is limited to one colour per character, and the way to change it is the exact same for both fox and falco, just at different offsets. I will use Fox’s file to explain how to do it.

Fox:
In your hex editor, open PlFx.dat and go to hex offset 22040. See this in your file?

The two highlighted hex are the colour values (RR GG BB format) that decide the colour of Fox Illusion. The first value is “transparent” colour and the second value is “opaque” colour.

This is the difference:
transparent magenta
opaque magenta
transparent black
opaque black
(the original side-b is also a "transparent" colour)

(you can skip this paragraph if you want)
The second value "restricts" the first value. If it is set at FF FF FF (white), all colours can be used in the first value. However, if the second value is set at FF 00 00 (red), then if you set the first value at, say, FF 00 FF (magenta), the side-b colour is going to be an opaque red, because the second value has the blue value set to 00.

To get a "transparent" side-b colour (like these):
-set the first RRGGBB value to the colour of your choice
-set the second RRGGBB value to FF FF FF

To get an "opaque" side-b colour:
-set the first RRGGBB value to FF FF FF
-set the second RRGGBB value to the colour of your choice

Falco:
Same as fox, but use PlFc.dat, go to offset 1EC40, here is the picture:

If anyone wants the files I use:
Fox-Green Lasers, Red Illusion
Download

Falco-Turquoise Lasers, Orange Phantasm
Download

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
Nube... you areBIG!!! or GIGANT xD

good guide and good new effect's for side-b

GIGA NUBE appears!

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
sorry for double post :(

i post this because i need help with texture

i 'm editing a texture for jiggs
and i edited the texture make this txt:

file 0 = C:\Documents and Settings\Usuario\03Eye\txt_0023_9.tga
image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB565
texture 0 = 0, 0

and rename to "03.tcs"

but appears this to i'm making a tpl file

DannyX

Smash Rookie
After browsing 151 Pages on this thread. I am amazed on how much progress this hack is going. I truly love this project. Great job guys!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
sorry for double post :(

i post this because i need help with texture

i 'm editing a texture for jiggs
and i edited the texture make this txt:

file 0 = C:\Documents and Settings\Usuario\03Eye\txt_0023_9.tga
image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB565
texture 0 = 0, 0

and rename to "03.tcs"

but appears this to i'm making a tpl file

Did you index your texture part? You have to do that in Photoshop if you expect that step to work correctly.

Steelia

Smash Champion
ammm

the texture need is indexed??

ok, i have a new intent
Yessir.

txt_####_08
txt_####_09

Those need to be Indexed in Photoshop.

Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color....

Palette: Local (Perceptual)
OR
Palette: Exact
Colors: 256 [or less]
Forced: None
Transparency: [ ]

Matte: None
Dither: None
Amount: ___%
[ ] Preserve Exact Colors

The Placements.txt guides normally give you the exact colors for textures. [256MAX]... or it gives you the number of lines, like (8) or something. Each line = 8 colors. So (8) * 8 colors = 64 colors.
Fun stuff. >.>

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have a question I watched the how to change the characters portrait video but I do not have Photoshop I use gimp is there any change in the instructions or what do I do differently with gimp? Can someone help?

Steelia

Smash Champion
I have a question I watched the how to change the characters portrait video but I do not have Photoshop I use gimp is there any change in the instructions or what do I do differently with gimp? Can someone help?
Mmmm, Yes, GIMP does things a little differently... I wish I could give more advice, I'm more a PS user. I THINK GIMP automatically does things with the Layers once you've Indexed it and such, from what I hear it's actually easier to manage than in Photoshop (hexing-wise).
I think you follow the similar steps... Magenta (ff00ff), Indexing, hexing... Can't say 100%, though. Try a portrait or two, see what happens. :)

And @nuro, no prob, yeah, Megaupload can be a pain... If it takes too long, try another service like Mediafire or something. No rush here. Awesome-looking package; wish I could try it. >:

nube

Smash Apprentice
Shine colours. Coming to a post near you.

Should be able to know the exact offsets of shine colour soon. Big thanks to a post Steelia made a loooong time ago. Turns out Fox Laser and Illusion data are held in PlFx.dat, while Firefox and Shine data are held in EfFxData.dat :)

Btw GIMP works just fine, what Steelia's above post says is correct. It's pretty user-friendly too.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Big thanks to a post Steelia made a loooong time ago. Turns out Fox Laser and Illusion data are held in PlFx.dat, while Firefox and Shine data are held in EfFxData.dat
Howwwww did you spot that?! lmao XD

Looking seriously good there, that's great news. Now things should get interesting. I'm very curious as to how the Reflectors can be tampered with color-wise; they look like just one blue color, but, judging from the pic... I dunno. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Too cool. I know some people'll be happy to see that. :chuckle:

nube

Smash Apprentice
:) I was re-reading the posts around where Qual found out how to change the shine sparkle colours, then I saw your post (this was a few days ago). Donno completely how it works right now, but I should have a better understanding after I do more tests and stuff. It seems to have face data or w/e Tcll was talking about when I found out laser colours. Lol I should ask him to analyze shine data too.

nuro

Smash Lord
:) I was re-reading the posts around where Qual found out how to change the shine sparkle colours, then I saw your post (this was a few days ago). Donno completely how it works right now, but I should have a better understanding after I do more tests and stuff. It seems to have face data or w/e Tcll was talking about when I found out laser colours. Lol I should ask him to analyze shine data too.
Since megaupload isn't working and since I need to find time to find an alternative I'll be waiting on your shine offsets till I release the ISO.

Good work.

May I ask how you go about the process of finding those offsets? How much hex do you change at once?

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I don't have much posts here but I really like to rip games...
So... Where I found the principal programs to get the files?
I like to arrange to put on sheets and upload on The Spriters Resource...
Anyone?

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
i have a problem with a texture of eye for mario

i create this image

and save in indexed with this parametres

and made this .tcs:
file 0 = C:\Documents and Settings\Usuario\MrBu\10Eye\txt_0837_9.tga
image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB565
texture 0 = 0, 0

and copy 32 lines(after 5 firts lines)
and the texture no change or find a errors :(

EDIT:
i made a new intent with copy only 32 lines
and no appears nothing

in one second intent i copy after 32 lines
and appears this(is mage majora XD):

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
i have a problem with a texture of eye for mario

i create this image

and save in indexed with this parametres

and made this .tcs:
file 0 = C:\Documents and Settings\Usuario\MrBu\10Eye\txt_0837_9.tga
image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB565
texture 0 = 0, 0

and copy 32 lines(after 5 firts lines)
and the texture no change or find a errors :(

EDIT:
i made a new intent with copy only 32 lines
and no appears nothing

in one second intent i copy after 32 lines
and appears this(is mage majora XD):
If your texture has more than 256 colors, use the Local (Perceptual) option for the palette. If it has 256 colors or less, use the Exact option, unless the palette has to be made smaller. All of Mario's eye textures use up to 256 colors, so you don't have to go lower than 256 for any of the eyes.

Refer to the image below for a reference to how to index the texture better.

Regarding the texture and palette, when viewing the TPL file, the palette comes first, and the texture comes afterwards.

The palette begins at hex value 20 (32 decimal), and ends at hex value 21F (543 decimal). You then skip 64 lines to hex value 260 (608 decimal). The hex data that starts at hex value 260 is the texture data.

nube

Smash Apprentice
HOW U DO DAT?
:)

I'd rather give a decent explanation using examples and stuff (like how I made laser and illusion colour changes), so I'll write something up about this after I get the shine colours down.

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
If your texture has more than 256 colors, use the Local (Perceptual) option for the palette. If it has 256 colors or less, use the Exact option, unless the palette has to be made smaller. All of Mario's eye textures use up to 256 colors, so you don't have to go lower than 256 for any of the eyes.

Refer to the image below for a reference to how to index the texture better.

Regarding the texture and palette, when viewing the TPL file, the palette comes first, and the texture comes afterwards.

The palette begins at hex value 20 (32 decimal), and ends at hex value 21F (543 decimal). You then skip 64 lines to hex value 260 (608 decimal). The hex data that starts at hex value 260 is the texture data.
ok, i save the texture in local(perceptual) 256 colors diffusion 100% and select the option of exact colors

i made two intents

firts:
i copy from 20 to 21f and copy in .dat, and copy from 260 to finally
and appears this

second:
i copy from 20 to finally and appears this

:(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Looks like you're still doing something wrong. Look at Mario's offset placements. For the offsets involving the indexed textures, in most cases, you insert the texture data, and then the palette data after that.

Once you've inputted the palette data, you have to skip 1 line during the process. This is vital to know, since there are times where you'll have to input as many as 4 palettes in a row.

P.S.: Make sure that byte 21F (543 decimal) is also selected when inputting the palette, as that's part of the 32 palette lines as well.

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
a new problem

i'm making all textures of eyes of mario
the firts is eye half, i made equivalent with eye
in hex editor firts the texture data and the second the palette

and appears this

no is a texture of 32 lines?
in placehments appears this: 33 - 000448a0 *

EDIT: i discover this

Texture data offsets
33 - 000448a0
34 - 0004d8a0
35 - 000568a0
36 - 0005f8a0
37 - 000688a0

Palettes offsets
000718a0

but i put the palettes and the colors changed for back o pixeled(mage of majora -.-)

Top Bottom