• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Jov

Smash Rookie
Zyx, could you upload those lazerx "textures"? And I will upload my Guilty Gear-MMX HPS in exchange, haha, I'm gonna do it anyway but I'll really appreciate if you share with us, these specially:

Thanks.

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I tried this :
Laser Part 1 - 00 70
Laser Part 2 - 00 40
Laser Part 3 - 00 10
Laser Part 4 - 00 00
The result is that part 3 and part 4 are black but part 1 and part 2 are transparent.

I did it so :
Laser Part 1 - 0F 00 (Green)
Laser Part 2 - 0F 00 (Green)
Laser Part 3 - 00 10 (Black)
Laser Part 4 - 00 00 (Black)
And I like it so much !! It fits perfectly the Zombi Falco texture ^^

http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/chap17.html

565 is probably your best bet since the 16-bit colors you are modifying don't seem to support transparency.
05 65 ? I'll try ^^

@ JOV : Here are my lasers :
Fox (White, awesome with SW Fox texture) : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2SG6MBHS
Falco (Green/Black, awesome with Zombi Falco texture) : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5P4B2T1

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
That looks really awesome. Putting it on my next disc.

Still transparent? I'm kind of surprised, I figured they'd show up being that high in value.

Hopefully 05 65 works.

I was thinking too, that maybe adding in some Red (1) to the Dark Green (3), would help out on Part 1 and 2.

Part 1 - 70 80
Part 2 - 40 50

The problem is that it barely shows up with maxed values. FC 00 for red, has two maxed values. All the recommended values for colors have a max value or two. So maybe having two "middle" values, would be close enough to a Max value, that it will show up.

SAKURAIIIIIIII

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
...Kinda, sorta.
Slackin' behind still hasn't gotten around to the _8 or _9 stuff... Sheesh... Index has to be such a pain. :C
What's even more upsetting is that TarGA images don't have alpha layers while indexed, meaning no transparency.

You know how BrawlBox can make indexed textures with semi-transparent colors? If only that could be done with the Melee indexed textures as well.

Rykard

Smash Ace
does anyone know the name of the file for mewtwo's shadowball? steelia edited it on his ISO and i want to put it onto mine cause it looks awesome. the same with samus's charge shot as well

nube

Smash Apprentice
Back! Wow, lots of stuff happened in a week. Here's some updates from me:

1) *quote a whole bunch of questions about stage editing in the last few pages* I will get back to this some other time

2) another fox texture by SW yay

3) Zyx! Didn't you make the red/white falco a long time ago? Good to see you back. Please upload all of your custom textures, they're awesome. Also, are you still in contact with Qual / do you know where he is? Btw, nice "ready, go!" texture! Coincidentally, I also textured the words, about a week or two ago. This is my unfinished one. (I made "Ready/Go/Game" into "Round 1/Fight/K.O.", but I messed up the "Round 1" part)

There will also be an audio hack to match the words, courtesy of S.

4) glad to see my laser guide is being put to good use. I'll upload the basic laser colours that I made, if anyone wants them. But y'all should definitely keep making your own ones too. The white and green/black lasers look sweet. Iirc, the white part of a laser can be changed to black by changing all the FF FF FF in part 4 of the lasers to 00 00 00 (forgot to put that in my guide, but Zyx figured it out anyways).

5) not much progress in the area of finding for more attack colourations, but that's probably because I haven't spent any time on it. I did figure out where fox's side-B offsets are, but it'll need more testing/playing around with before I can replace the image with something resembles more than random blueness :)

side-b image replaced?

6) currently working on something that will be really helpful (I hope) to the melee hacking scene, will explain later

7) what do y'all think of melee hacks getting it's own sub-forum? I've already contacted someone about it, we'll see what happens. imo, it would be really beneficial for the hacking scene.

edit:
A subforum was something I've been looking forward to here, specifically at Smash Boards
lol

Rykard

Smash Ace
awesome stuff as usual nube. looking forward to what you discover with the illusion and the secret really helpful project

On a different note, does anyone know where the guide to the 14 minute song thing that sleepyk talks about is? or is that included in his guide to HPS hacking? I have plans for an opening movie and i want to make sure i can fit the song in or at least use sleepyk's DBR opening if all else fails

And someone should hack the Ready...Go! to do the 3, 2, 1 Lets Jam from cowboy bebop

Rykard

Smash Ace
Hey everyone has anyone ever heard of River Past Image Sequence Converter? It is apparently a program that allows you to convert MOV files into JPEG files which is what Godfed said was necessary to be able to do for video hacking in melee. you can download it for free here:

http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Convert_MOV_to_JPEG_22975854

I'm going to give it a shot and see what i can do if i can follow his guide correctly

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
actually, I use virtual dub to convert my .avi, .wmv, .etc files into picture files for my video hacks, plus, virtual dub has all that other stuff which I find useful for editing matches I record an stuff. give it a look

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
awesome stuff as usual nube. looking forward to what you discover with the illusion and the secret really helpful project

On a different note, does anyone know where the guide to the 14 minute song thing that sleepyk talks about is? or is that included in his guide to HPS hacking? I have plans for an opening movie and i want to make sure i can fit the song in or at least use sleepyk's DBR opening if all else fails

And someone should hack the Ready...Go! to do the 3, 2, 1 Lets Jam from cowboy bebop
it's about the same as any other hps guide.

actually, I use virtual dub to convert my .avi, .wmv, .etc files into picture files for my video hacks, plus, virtual dub has all that other stuff which I find useful for editing matches I record an stuff. give it a look
vdub is the truth

Rykard

Smash Ace
Vdub worked awesomely. Only problem is that when i got the wii sdk, there was no file in it labeled thpconv.exe. I don't know if got a bad link or something to it but that was a pain. I guess i'll look elsewhere (i'll delete this part of the post if necessary)

aside from that, i just have a few stupid questions. Does wipe garbage do anything other than free up space? and when i'm inserting a texture or something and it comes up with the prompt that asks if i know hat i am doing, if i click yes and say its something smaller than the original file, does that also free up more space? I feel like these are things people figured out forever ago so i'm just trying to catch up

SleepyK

you should follow my basic hacking starting guide on the youtubs

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
3) Zyx! Didn't you make the red/white falco a long time ago? Good to see you back. Please upload all of your custom textures, they're awesome.
Yes I did ^^
You can find most of my textures here : http://ssb-fan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=423

Wow ! Cool !

6) currently working on something that will be really helpful (I hope) to the melee hacking scene, will explain later
Awesome ! Can't wait !

Yo Zyx, the Green/Black Falco Lasers http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5P4B2T1 dont work.

In Dolphin they work, but when I try to use it off of a burned disc, the moment I fire a laser from Falco, the game freezes...
Hum... try this new file : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=31BEZ0BH
If this one doesn't work... I don't know what is the problem..

I'm actually working on a Fountain of Dreams hack with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles textures ^^

EDIT : Do you know how to change the black background ?

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Lookin' pretty nice there, Zyx! :)
Sadly, no... It's auto-colored like Fox/Falco's lasers; it's not an image. So even if you COULD mess with it, you'd only be able to change it one color..... where ever THAT color'd be. >_>

voorhese

Smash Master
hey i had an idea, could you make the whole background of a stage a color that isnt in use for the game, then once a match is recorded use like ulead, and basicly green screen a shot of the players who are playing the match into the background of like tourney matches, or the crowed of a big tournament?

i think it would work, just find a purple or some other color not in use, and set the resemblance of that color to 0% so its exactly that color, and layer either the crowed or player video in the back.

voorhese

Smash Master
sound like a good idea?, cuz you could show people crowd reactions/sound and the match at the same time in a kool way.

SleepyK

I think the colors that typically aren't used would make it hard to play the game.
for example, the color that steelia used in his CSP guide is a bright pink/purple color that would look pretty awful plastered on the background of a stage.
you could just use a side-by-side or a PIP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moeiKbnyVf0
i thought that worked fairly well

SleepyK

I like the idea in theory, but it would really be hard on the eyes to stare at a solid color the whole time. wouldn't be worth it in the end imo.
would be a great idea for brawl with the replays and extremely hackable stages.

voorhese

Smash Master
yeah, maybe they could just to like pokemons stadiums screen... that would be awsome...but if it just shows the rest of the stage in it, im not sure how they would do it.

SleepyK

you could just rotoscope it manually.

of course it's about ease....

maybe it's possible to change what the screen displays.

Rykard

Smash Ace
hey sleepyk, by inserting the really small sound effect files in place of music and stuff for stages and we normally don't use compeitively, did that free up the space to allow you use the 15 minute movie for audio files, or is that a copmletely different process all together? Just curious cause i coulnd'tfind anything on it and thought it was rather interesting.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Top Bottom