• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I don't and I know a bunch of people that dont. The point is that brawl has to be loaded in the normal, legal way (wii disc channel) and then P:M has to be loaded through the custom stage glitch or w/e

Are you really wondering why the kishes are making this requirement? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that they are just protecting the tournament and themselves from a bunch of legal issues.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well, for one, it has liability issues since the Kishes are essentially renting the equipment and portable hdds would be an easy target for theft.

BIG C

Smash Master
That's easily solved by a non-fault statement such as ones in Grocery store parking lots, man. So no johnz you called in a legality issue and that is what I was talking about. You've had to sign waivers and such for FC's in the past I do believe, for the players that were under 18 and whatnot such a policy could be implemented.

It goes back to the argument of Oro and Dart, you know the risk of bringing your stuff to a tournament let alone a 3 day tournament.

BIG C

Smash Master
What risk? Your theory of risk into stolen goods has already been addressed by a waiver. IMO every tournament held should make people sign some sort of waiver as if someone slips and falls or something they could potentially sue. It's not that big of a deal to get some waivers.

It would be no fault of the kishes if someone stole someone's HDD it's the same as if someone stole your car while you were getting groceries and you tried to take legal action against said store. It would be no fault of theirs. So I see no risk in that.

Furthermore, you completely disregarded the fact that was the original argument of why they couldn't be used, the legality, and the fact of the lack of a nintendo official being at the tournament to know if the game had been loaded through the disc channel or not.

In my eyes both of your arguments are flawed and you have provided no examples or evidence to sway my point of view.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
All it takes is one person to report it. It doesn't have to be a nintendo official. The law is the law.

As for your analogy, i think it is way off. It would be more like if you left your car with a mechanic and came back and it was stolen. The tournament is taking temporary ownership of the items that are being used.

I find them to be related because if something gets stolen, such as an expensive HDD, the police will become involved, whom would call into question many of the legal aspects of the tournament.

BIG C

Smash Master
Maybe, but again, the tournament might get shut down anyway. I could call the cops right now and tell them that an illegal gambling ring is planning to host a tournament (for cash) at said location and it would get shut down. Someone that lost a match could go get a cop because they were dissatisfied. Anyone can be a rat for any reason they want.Your "it only takes one person to report it" works in any way with anything as far as that goes.

And if the waivers were implemented the tournament would not be taking ownership of said things because you would be signing that responsibility of the TO's away. Considering at any time you could just take your stuff and leave it is in no way owned or rented by said parties.

The waivers could also include a TO's aren't responsible for your **** clause and that you waive any legal responsibility to the TO's and that they have not inspected or checked any of the equipment therefore their knowledge of using an "illegal system" doesn't exist therefore any legal recourse will fall on the owner of said property.

Once again waivers own all of these arguments, once you sign these things away it is 100% not the TO or Venue's fault. So there would be zero risk for that. It being at a hotel and everything I'm surprised the waiver signing isn't required by the venue.

Basically be responsible for your own **** if you wanna take it, I could understand not giving people a discount on a hacked wii, but to simply not allow it at all, is just ludicrous in my opinion, as it hinders amounts of setups being brought, also if someone brought a hacked wii and didn't say anything, how are they gonna tell the difference, If you can load project:M from a hidden SD card what's to stop someone from doing the same thing with a Brawl .iso? (idk if this actually is viable but I figured it would be.)

tl;dr version

all of the aforementioned responsibilities can be included in a waiver.

Tink

Smash Hero
heh, its alot better then the new school smashers who just like to troll constantly 0_0.....really annoying stuff right there.

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
Whether it is Big C comparing someone breaking a tv to a cat jumping on a table and stealing your McDonalds, or in this situation, comparing troubled smash players stealing things to someone stealing your parked vehicle in a grocery lot, he always manages to make me chuckle with his unintelligent and poorly thought out comparisons. Thanks for making my day man.

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Lol, dude... Nobody is going give one single **** about a G-damn hacked gaming console being used at some nerdy *** video game tournament. People (like me) are goin bring their **** and erthang gon be cool like always... seriously

Hax

Smash Champion
does anyone have a ****ing **** controller they could sell to me at this? mine sucks

BIG C

Smash Master
Whether it is Big C comparing someone breaking a tv to a cat jumping on a table and stealing your McDonalds, or in this situation, comparing troubled smash players stealing things to someone stealing your parked vehicle in a grocery lot, he always manages to make me chuckle with his unintelligent and poorly thought out comparisons. Thanks for making my day man.
Idk why you guys thing this one is laughable it correlated directly with what Sveet was saying and what I was arguing against it. He described someones unattended things being stolen(car in the parking lot) and that person trying to take legal action against the Tournament Organizers(Store Managers/Owners), who would not be at fault at all. Obviously people have tried to do this at grocery stores before as every grocery store has a sign posted in their parking lot(venue) that they are not responsible for damaged or stolen goods(waiver).

So I really don't see how it is not well thought out in any way, shape, or form. There are obvious similarities in my comparison supporting my argument.

john!

Smash Hero
...did you say this just to prove tink's point?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Idk why you guys thing this one is laughable it correlated directly with what Sveet was saying and what I was arguing against it. He described someones unattended things being stolen(car in the parking lot) and that person trying to take legal action against the Tournament Organizers(Store Managers/Owners), who would not be at fault at all. Obviously people have tried to do this at grocery stores before as every grocery store has a sign posted in their parking lot(venue) that they are not responsible for damaged or stolen goods(waiver).

So I really don't see how it is not well thought out in any way, shape, or form. There are obvious similarities in my comparison supporting my argument.
Except the TOs are in every way renting the equipment from the players, including removing the equipment from their possession for the entirety of the tournament and providing compensation for the equipment rental. That is quite different from parking your car in a parking lot

BIG C

Smash Master
Except the TOs are in every way renting the equipment from the players, including removing the equipment from their possession for the entirety of the tournament and providing compensation for the equipment rental. That is quite different from parking your car in a parking lot
No it's not renting it, or taking ownership, at any time you have to leave you can. There is no rental agreement/contract. This means that at any time you wish you can take your stuff and leave so how do they take ownership? If you don't sign anything it's not renting/leasing. Which you are claiming it is like if rent-a-center just handed you a TV and you "lost" it without you signing a contract for it they would be screwed just like you would be if someone took your stuff.

I see no way that this could be a risk for a TO and if it were people would have taken legal action for things long ago. Every big tournament that happens people "lose" stuff that is varying in value people have lost cell phones, clothes, controllers, etc. but no one has ever tried to go after a Tournament Organizer for it. I'm assuming this is because there would be no real legal standing in it without some form of written consent. And again a required WAIVER could clear all responsibility from a TO. Which you have yet to say anything about.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Actually, on the website, we do state that we expect any rental that we're paying for to be left in the venue until the close of the event.

Frankly, guys, rational thought has little bearing in a court of law. We're running a highly suspicious (in that anything involving a "hack" gives Nintendo reason to wonder), large-scale event for a modification of Nintendo's game, and thus we're going to be as careful as possible. Because we have not the finances nor will to fight a legal battle, Nintendo can literally shut it down with a word, so we're going way out of our way, regardless of any legal argument one can make (and none of us are lawyers, to boot), to give them no reason to do so. It's as simple as that, and there's really nothing to argue about, because again, it's not rational.

Hax, I'm pretty sure that they still sell gamecube controllers on the Nintendo store website for fair pricing. I picked up two new ones as a present from there about a year ago - work like a charm!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
No it's not renting it, or taking ownership, at any time you have to leave you can. There is no rental agreement/contract. This means that at any time you wish you can take your stuff and leave so how do they take ownership? If you don't sign anything it's not renting/leasing. Which you are claiming it is like if rent-a-center just handed you a TV and you "lost" it without you signing a contract for it they would be screwed just like you would be if someone took your stuff.

I see no way that this could be a risk for a TO and if it were people would have taken legal action for things long ago. Every big tournament that happens people "lose" stuff that is varying in value people have lost cell phones, clothes, controllers, etc. but no one has ever tried to go after a Tournament Organizer for it. I'm assuming this is because there would be no real legal standing in it without some form of written consent. And again a required WAIVER could clear all responsibility from a TO. Which you have yet to say anything about.
registration page said:
First of all, thank you for your contribution to the success of our event. You will receive a $5 discount on your entry for each piece of committed equipment. Please note the following rules regarding system loans: Setups, once checked in, will be operated and kept by the FC staff until the event concludes. Failure to bring committed equipment without a 15-day advance notice will require a $20 penalty charge at the door for you to participate in tournaments. Setups are the most essential piece to successful operation of the tournament and these numbers must be accurate while planning. Please do not leave memory cards in the systems, as we cannot take responsibility for them. Thank you for your understanding.
This is not a normal tournament. What you are describing is perfectly true at many locals and regionals, but not this tournament.

Also, I would like to petition for a change to the Crew Battle rules. Please remove FD from the random stage select!!!

Rosedemon

Smash Champion

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Frankly, guys, rational thought has little bearing in a court of law. We're running a highly suspicious (in that anything involving a "hack" gives Nintendo reason to wonder), large-scale event for a modification of Nintendo's game, and thus we're going to be as careful as possible....
I thought the only way we could ever get in trouble for something like that is if people literally bought or sold hack systems or games. Just playin em doesn't hurt right? Just like Project M, the game and even some of the people directly responsible for this super hacked version of Brawl are on the PM website. The only reason they aren't in trouble yet is because they're lettin us download it for free which doesn't break copyright. Or at least I think.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Law doesn't really work that way. In terms of determining guilt at the end of a trial, yes, all the little discrepancies and fine points matter. But you have to get there, and that requires money and time in a courtroom. As long as they have something that gives them an in so it doesn't get tossed, companies can literally wait you out until you have no money for lawyers anymore, if they think they have something to gain from it. And they do all the time. They know this themselves, which is why they just settle most court cases - it's cheaper than actually fighting it.

All this to say that no, we don't think Nintendo has a particular interest in Project M or there would've already been a cease and desist issued. But we're not about to give them any "in" by allowing anything resembling piracy in the venue.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Hax, I'm pretty sure that they still sell gamecube controllers on the Nintendo store website for fair pricing. I picked up two new ones as a present from there about a year ago - work like a charm!
wrong! i checked about a month ago. you can still get them on amazon for ~$40. Also, I think he meant a broken in controller since breaking in a brand new one takes forever

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
I used Ebay andd bought a broken in Orange Spice controller for a little under $20.

It works perfectly, better than any brand new controller I have. It just smells like cigars.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Not sure if they do this, but do they charge for the rooms right as you reserve, not at first nights' stay?

If not you might be able to leave the "I'm with the MELEE-FC event" in the comments while reserving, and at check-in just mention it again.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I would strongly recommend calling it in, as we made no special arrangements for online use of our promotion.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
I would strongly recommend calling it in, as we made no special arrangements for online use of our promotion.
so i searched for reservations online for 8/11-8/15, and it shows up as $70 per night. doesn't look like i need to mention FC or anything, but i did anyway in the comments section. the issue before was that i requested a room for 4 people, and nothing showed up.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I have a sealed black GC controller I'd be willing to sell to the highest bidder at this tournament, given I am able to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom