• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
For anyone who's wants a play-by-play of what happened last night...
I joined the stream at around 9pm (midnight EST), with 3 hours to go. We were donating strong at first, but then it started to stagnate at around 62k. Skullgirls was rising up from 39k to 41k and were doing crazy things on their stream for the drive, like a guy shaving his head for the sake of it. The Melee streamers were doing simple raffles for stuff like a Pink Captain Falcon drawing, a copy of Magicka or an Amazon giftcard.

We consistently kept a 10k lead, although at one point it dropped to 9k. We had a few big pushes in the last hour: The Spirit Bomb at 9pm, then the 11$ at 11pm, and the 11.30 at 11:30. The last two literally crashed the site so no one could donate, that's how many of us were donating at the same time. It came back up within a few minutes. In the last 15 minutes or so, people were donating so fast that it wouldn't even update. People were saying Melee hit 77k when I could see it stilll being stuck at 65k or so. One it finally refreshed again, the final numbers were in. Couldn't believe it, we won by a huge margin, but literally around 40% of the donations came in during the last 15 minutes.

NickSF93

Smash Cadet
Now I'm wondering how many of those donations are legit... I'm sure the totals for both SSBM and SG will be lower in 4-5 days
I suppose its possible, but both communities really pulled out all the stops for this. I never really donate to anything and I ended up donating $100. So I wont be surprised if the amounts dont go down.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Now I'm wondering how many of those donations are legit... I'm sure the totals for both SSBM and SG will be lower in 4-5 days
Oh hush, what reason is there to suspect either community of fraudulence? The EVO staff themselves only ever singled out one game as having suspicious donations, and it wasn't Melee OR Skullgirls. C'mon, why so pessimistic?

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
this is so awesome you guys, we did it! i threw in 10 bucks, so i feel pretty awesome.

i think this just furthers shows how awesome the melee community is(cue the video of everyone singing the pokemon theme song), and i also think maybe we all felt like "you know what, **** you fgc, we ARE real fighting game and we're gonna be at your tournament iF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT."

now lets blow them away with our tech skill and show em that Melee is a real mans game.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
Oh hush, what reason is there to suspect either community of fraudulence? The EVO staff themselves only ever singled out one game as having suspicious donations, and it wasn't Melee OR Skullgirls. C'mon, why so pessimistic?
I'm just sayan, it's possible to donate like 30k and retract it after the fact to fake a win

Like, let's say I wanted to screw over SG, I'd donate 30k to make it look like they won

then cancel it days later

Arzak

Smash Cadet
I'm just sayan, it's possible to donate like 30k and retract it after the fact to fake a win

Like, let's say I wanted to screw over SG, I'd donate 30k to make it look like they won

then cancel it days later
With the way that credit cards work, this scenario is highly unlikely, unless you think that someone with a >$30k limit on their card decided to ruin their credit rating just to troll smash (which they didn't because the donation increase didn't happen in lump sums). I know that /v/ and /fgg/ think that it's all CC fraud and our parent's money, but watch that total. It's not going to go down at all, because it's 100% legit, straight from the community.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Very proud to be a new member for the Smash community and having had the opportunity to be part of the Spirit Bomb.

Congrats everyone!

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Very proud to be a new member for the Smash community and having had the opportunity to be part of the Spirit Bomb.

Congrats everyone!
Welcome, this means you made a difference in the cancer fight, and contributed to the community as well. Thank you!

:phone:

Bose

Den lengste kølla
3DS FC
5086-2001-6359
so you guys pay 90k to get your game into a tournament to be played on laggy hdtvs, to get thrown on the not main stream (with most likely around 1k - 2k viewers), with grand finals at 9 am, in a venue where 95 percent of the people there hate you and your game?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Welp. Time to go to EVO and enter the SG side tourney.

If you guys are going to EVO, you could always enter and give it a shot if you can tolerate TFGs enough.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Congrats to everyone I'm so proud of the smash community. But Reading that thread on shoryuken.com Why people hate on smash so much T.T. Good Luck to everyone I will be watching evo for once now. That amount is amazing.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Congrats to everyone I'm so proud of the smash community. But Reading that thread on shoryuken.com Why people hate on smash so much T.T.
Judging by the response, they're still mostly irked about Smash's competitive ruleset (ie: no items, some stage bans). Seems silly to me to complain when it's clearly a more engaging competitive game without random drops and whatnot, but it's probably not worth pressing the issue.

Someone brought up their trouble with the gems in SFxT as a counterpoint.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Judging by the response, they're still mostly irked about Smash's competitive ruleset (ie: no items, some stage bans). Seems silly to me to complain when it's clearly a more engaging competitive game without random drops and whatnot, but it's probably not worth pressing the issue.

Yeah that is a good point. Smash is not a traditional fighter so course stuff is gonna be different i can't wait to see smash at evo. But it is amazing how everyone came together for such a good cause how is on any gaming sites for news?

JustBlind

Smash Rookie

It's hard to take it seriously when I'm pretty sure some of the people complaining about the rule set have never seen a game of melee before, much less played one (with or without items on). It's like when MLG tried to apply halo rules to starcraft 2 in the first season where if someone got a penalty point their opponent could pick one unit the guy with the penalty could not build... Complaining about a rule set for a game you know nothing about is ridiculous, especially when the reason is "well pick character random stage with default rules work for all the games I play".

Scar

#HarveyDent
There are a fair few comments about no one liking SSBM or whatever but to that I say - some will, some won't. We're not here to force our game on anyone. We never expected that everyone would like it.

And of those that do check our scene out, of course some of them will think it's boring or dumb or whatever. That's also totally fine.

But IMO it's insane / ridiculous to think that there won't be homies that check it out and like it.

Also to the points about evo not accommodating us - I will work as closely with them as I can to make sure this is an awesome event for both Smash and EVO. I don't see any reason why it's not in their interest for us to succeed.

Gea

Smash Master
We've already had some people step up and offer to broker deals concerning equipment like CRTs and gamecubes. EVO will be a blast, yo. I'm gonna get in on some Melee and AE at the very least.

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
When they try to use this argument I just can't take them seriously, it's like they will just look for any reason not to like the game.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
When they try to use this argument I just can't take them seriously, it's like they will just look for any reason not to like the game.
Yah it's just a horrible argument, made more so when the person has no idea what they are talking about.

I remember when I first played Street Fighter II and found out the stages were all exactly the same. I was not impressed :mad:

Pengie

Smash Lord
If crowd monsters start a f*** smash chant I'd be down to start a F-Smash chant :troll:

10/10 idea: bonus points if it's during a marth or falco match.

Also ignore the haters and let them hold that salt. Focus on riding the hype train from here to evo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom