• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Air dodge VS Brawl Air dodge! Discuss, which one should be in Brawl+?

MuBa

Smash Lord
I know I'm jumping the gun here a bit but has anyone noticed the attacks in general are just slow? Would you guys find it feasible to have a code that will startup and end attacks quicker as long as it prevents 0-death combos from happening?

If you guys haven't noticed I tend to like fast paced rush-down oriented fighting games >_>

Besides offensive rush-down is what people tend to find "exciting" in Melee (even though we're trying not to make this game into Melee)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Mario I just thought of something. If you want to do a poll and not wait for my vid go ahead but I would also like to see another poll after my video to see if ppls opinions changed.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Mario I just thought of something. If you want to do a poll and not wait for my vid go ahead but I would also like to see another poll after my video to see if ppls opinions changed.
I'll do a poll now to see what people's opinions are on the matter before your vid and do another one after. :p

But first, someone has to tell me how to make it. lol

Starscream

Smash Ace
Make it and then we'll see. As of now it's all just speculation and there's no point in really debating it if it never happens. And if wavedashes are still just as ******** and regular Brawl wavedashing I doubt it's to convince many people.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Still, no one has told me how to put in a poll but I'm starting to think that I don't have the option to do so because I don't have the sufficient number of posts.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I like Brawl's airdodge so much more. In melee the air dodge is practically useless (expect for the wavedash) because of the landing lag. I'm not going into arguments, just stating my opinion

storm92

Smash Ace
Honestly, I want a head count of people here who support MAD over BAD/variation of BAD still.
It seems the number has shrunken drastically after hitstun and ALC was included in the code list.

Even people like me, who used to think MAD was vital to Brawl+, have switched to believing that BAD in its current form would be adequate.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Just because something was in melee does not make it law. But I do like wavedashing and I feel it adds depth to the game. I feel that the histun people are curently using is to much mainly because of the inescapable 60% combos (sometimes death) all caused by the MAD. 1 dodge with all this hitsun only equals **** to me and doesnt balance the game out.

I hope the goal here is to balance our beloved fighting game and not to make the game look "cool".

So as you can see Im 50/50 idk I think with more testing we shall reach a better conclusion, people its still early.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
that is a good question. with melee air dodge we could wavedash/land again in brawl but yet i do like the multiple air dodges. i cant decide if we had the choice, which one should be in brawl

mc4

Smash Journeyman
I like the multiple air dodge much better, and i've adjusted to not using wave dashing so i don't really care for m.a.d anymore. I don't get why it would be necessary to make a code for only 1 B.A.D unless you want to incorporate the wavedashing code, but get rid of the helpless state after the single air dodge in which case i can see your point. You want wavedashing but don't want the helpless state after the air dodge.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well, if you want to WD and not have go in the helpless state, then that means you can infinitely AD with direction... unless you mean one MAD with options other than ADing...I could very well have misread what you meant to say....^_^

Finns7

Smash Ace
What if you could do only certain attacks out of 1 melee airdodge.

Or only wavedash when you input a short hop?

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you want to WD and not have go in the helpless state, then that means you can infinitely AD with direction... unless you mean one MAD with options other than ADing...I could very well have misread what you meant to say....^_^

I don't know possibly. what i was saying is i get the point of this thread if what is meant is that you combine M.A.D with B.A.D. You get one air dodge that uses momentum allowing wavedashing. While when using this dodge in the air you may only use it once and after you aren't helpless. You can attack after it just like Brawl but you just can't do another air dodge...

zxeon

Smash Lord
I don't know possibly. what i was saying is i get the point of this thread if what is meant is that you combine M.A.D with B.A.D. You get one air dodge that uses momentum allowing wavedashing. While when using this dodge in the air you may only use it once and after you aren't helpless. You can attack after it just like Brawl but you just can't do another air dodge...
This. 10char

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
Everyone is turning Brawl+ into a potential to create a truly tournament-friendly version of Brawl in to a complete joke.

Everyone is just talking about the REVOLUTIONARY changes that S-Canceling, increased hitstun, and MAD are going to make. And those are a exactly synonymous to the basic "Advanced Techniques" that compromised competitive Melee.

Everyone fails to realize Brawl != Melee and it doesn't have to be, because the general changes in Brawl are not going to work with the codes, unless they completely change everything else to work it out.

The result? It's Melee all over again, except with new characters.

WHAT THE FLYING **** DOES THE "+" STAND FOR?

No to MAD, no to S-Canceling, and absolutely no to Melee ****ing 2.0.

Everyone is turning Brawl+ into a potential to create a truly tournament-friendly version of Brawl in to a complete joke.

Everyone is just talking about the REVOLUTIONARY changes that S-Canceling, increased hitstun, and MAD are going to make. And those are a exactly synonymous to the basic "Advanced Techniques" that compromised competitive Melee.

Everyone fails to realize Brawl != Melee and it doesn't have to be, because the general changes in Brawl are not going to work with the codes, unless they completely change everything else to work it out.

The result? It's Melee all over again, except with new characters.

WHAT THE FLYING **** DOES THE "+" STAND FOR?

No to MAD, no to S-Canceling, and absolutely no to Melee ****ing 2.0.
Too bad you fail to realize that because a few minor mechanics that emulate what actions that took place in Melee doesn't make the game Melee. It simply carries an aesthetic that people simply favor over Brawl's current game play. Sure, they aren't really that great, but some of these things yield positive effects on the game play.

Being able to have a form of mobility on the ground allows for lesser characters to zone in on the opponents without being risked a stock or a massive amount of damage. The current version of Brawl is essentially about brick wall tactics and simple frame traps that can screw any other character in a lower tier category. The characters play based off of natural selection, and favor "X character has better things than Y characters". Simply just adding Wavedashing to the game allows for characters to actively use the environment and terrain to their advantage. Take note that it's simply possible, and not dictating that it will be an absolute benefit. Intelligence also plays an important part of playing.

Being able to execute aerials freely with all characters also opens up zoning options for all characters, which means that it isn't necessary to use the same zoning tactics as before and not rely on frame traps and minimal shield stun issues. I don't know about you, but getting shield grabbed for executing an aerial due to minimal shield stun and getting CG'd (Despite spacing) isn't any fun for me.

What's wrong with exploring ways to expand this games potential? If this game really didn't need these things why would our community even consider the possibility of this? Why would our community even try to play Brawl off Brawl+ as a competitive standard? It's simple. Even though this game is great, it's flawed as a competitive fighter, and the level of unbalance in the games system is staggering. By all means, you can play the game all you want, just don't deny it's flaws.

Also, I really grow tired of uninformed morons like you dictating their opinions, as if they actually had a significant role in the community. I can guarantee you that more than half of the people who complain about their have never:

-Played Melee competitively
-Played competitive fighters in general
-Play A Melee tournament
-Played a Brawl tournament

Seriously, I'm really tired of people spouting this Melee 2.0 crap. This project is for improving, not emulating. Hell, they even may find a code to introduce inertia into the game. So just sit back, and see what happens. And above all esle, keep your mouth shut if it isn't beneficial.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Is it possible to bring the 2 button R trigger back? You could have only one melee airdode (press it down all the way) and use the soft (halfway) for a brawl airdodge.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Imo WD adds more depth to the game, there are advantages to both.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
**** wave dashing and go play melee.

Theres going to be numerous people that will dis like brawl Regardless of Brawl+ or even if it was melee 2.0 at this stage in the game.

Wave dashing is so awkward in Brawl and looks ********.
>.> MAD and S-canceling.

2 things that can jump off a bridge.

zxeon

Smash Lord
**** wave dashing and go play melee.

Theres going to be numerous people that will dis like brawl Regardless of Brawl+ or even if it was melee 2.0 at this stage in the game.

Wave dashing is so awkward in Brawl and looks ********.
>.> MAD and S-canceling.

2 things that can jump off a bridge.
Such language!

kupo15

Smash Hero
Such language!
Yes but such truth! Besides, MAD takes up too much code. Would you rather have MAD, or m canceling? If the answer is both, then you just took up roughly 180 lines of code.

With brawl being more of an air game than melee, BAD is better than MAD. I have been playing around with 12% and Im glad for BAD since you need that sort of freedom with the aerial pressure. Esp against a Zelda...ouch....

zxeon

Smash Lord
If MAD has too many lines of code for your taste just have someone remove the lines resposible for the pause at the end of the additional directional momentum and disabling of your controls (but leave the one airdodge limit intact) and presto! You have the Melee-Brawl Hybrid Airdodge a smaller code with all the options you had before and more ,but with a reasonable limit on how many times you can become completly invulnerable during your jump.

Axelguy4realz

Smash Cadet
bleck more brawl vs melee stuff :ohwell: This stuff is kind of splitting the smash community apart. If you want to change brawl+ then do it no one is going to hunt you down and stop you and if you disagree with making any form of Brawl like melee then oh well people are still going to hack and ask and beg for it to become the new official rules nothing you can do about it. in my opinion go play melee if you want a melee like game.

Osi

Smash Ace
If MAD has too many lines of code for your taste just have someone remove the lines resposible for the pause at the end of the additional directional momentum and disabling of your controls (but leave the one airdodge limit intact) and presto! You have the Melee-Brawl Hybrid Airdodge a smaller code with all the options you had before and more ,but with a reasonable limit on how many times you can become completly invulnerable during your jump.
Has anyone looked into this yet to see if MAD can be scaled down to say 30 or 40 lines? I love MAD and would like to see it stay in the code list, but 80 is a bit much. There was the discussion of allowing attacks after it still like up B for more options, just not allowing multiple MADs. Anyways I'd love to hear back if it's possible to shrink this code down a bit.

The amount of added movement, entries, and combos MAD adds is just too big for me to pass it up if we can keep it in.

Top Bottom