• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Air dodge VS Brawl Air dodge! Discuss, which one should be in Brawl+?

storm92

Smash Ace
One Brawl AD is IMO worse than MAD or BAD.
And yes, I will continue to use abbreviations because they're fun.

Anyways, I think if we keep the BAD then we should find a medium. Not so much the exact medium that you're proposing Marioblaze, but instead what I said somewhere earlier that you have one BAD but after that you can jump/attack/upB after it, but you only have one AD while you're in the air.
It helps to keep the edgeguarding game up, which really is my biggest annoyance with the regular BAD, while allowing for more options than does MAD where if you use it off-stage, you're dead unless the opponent tries to show off.
Comments?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Please wait on a poll. I was distracted with the excitement for my video. I hope to have it done soon. Its little things now

MBlaze

Smash Champion
One Brawl AD is IMO worse than MAD or BAD.
And yes, I will continue to use abbreviations because they're fun.

Anyways, I think if we keep the BAD then we should find a medium. Not so much the exact medium that you're proposing Marioblaze, but instead what I said somewhere earlier that you have one BAD but after that you can jump/attack/upB after it, but you only have one AD while you're in the air.
It helps to keep the edgeguarding game up, which really is my biggest annoyance with the regular BAD, while allowing for more options than does MAD where if you use it off-stage, you're dead unless the opponent tries to show off.
Comments?
I really don't see how thats worse than regular BAD at all...

storm92

Smash Ace
I really don't see how thats worse than regular BAD at all...
Well what I mean is its basically taking MAD and BAD and mashing them together. With one BAD, there's less options for the player than all the other ADs we have, whether it be MAD, the one I am proposing, or regular BAD. It's like MAD where its a commitment when you use it off-stage, but you can't recover with it or use it to get back onstage, unlike MAD.

K 2

Smash Lord
Wouldn't you have to have MAD for wavedashing, which is a large part of Brawl+ (along with hitstun and l-cancelling)?

storm92

Smash Ace
It's not a large part, it does open up a ton of new options for movement and approaching, but it's more of an optional thing.
Hitstun, auto L-canceling, no tripping, and the fixing of shields are the primary parts of Brawl+.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
No Wavedashing pl0x.
Im tired of god killing kittens everytime somebody does it T_T.
I just buried fluffy >.>

how about we leave Brawls Air dodge at the core the same, instead of introducing this MD mumbo fumbo >.>

Wallehh

Smash Cadet
I agree with your reasons, they make sense and air dodging would be better off your way.

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
Melee air dodge (and therefore wavedashing) was taken out of Brawl because it was a glitch to begin with. I am honestly shocked that people can be stupid enough to want to readd GLITCHES (glitch - a result not intended by the programmers) to the game. The no-tripping code is alright in very serious play (assuming there are no bugs with it) but otherwise I disagree with it strongly.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I like only one BAD in the air, because I don't like spammable air dodges.

Sensai

Smash Master
This may already have been explained (I'm admitting to the fact I haven't read through the first 4 pages of this) but I feel that I would give my opinion.

Disclaimer: I don't like Brawl at all. I bought it and quickly realized this and have put in just enough time to beat the SSE into the game.

The air dodge from Brawl is what should be in Brawl+. If you put in the air dodge from Melee, that's fine, but you're essentially making it Melee 2.0...and if that's what everyone wants, great. But, it ceases to be Brawl+ then and transforms into Melee 2.0.

My vote goes to the Brawl air dash simply because we're already played Melee to death, and while some people would care for a Melee 2.0, a lot of us would really like a new game to play.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Melee air dodge (and therefore wavedashing) was taken out of Brawl because it was a glitch to begin with. I am honestly shocked that people can be stupid enough to want to readd GLITCHES (glitch - a result not intended by the programmers) to the game. The no-tripping code is alright in very serious play (assuming there are no bugs with it) but otherwise I disagree with it strongly.
OMFG!! WAVEDASH WAS NOT A GLITCH! IT WAS AN EXPLOIT RESULTING FROM MELEE'S AIRDODGE AND GENERAL SMASH PHYSICS! SAKURAI EVEN KNEW ABOUT IT DURING MELEE'S DEV. STAGE! IT WAS REMOVED (actually the airdodge was just changed)BECAUSE SAKURAI HATES COMPETITION! LOOK UP YOUR FACTS BEFORE SPEWING THAT CRAP!*deep sigh*

And who care about what Sakurai and the dev. team intended? THEY DIDN'T WANT US TO PLAY SMASH COMPETITIVELY!

sorry. I hate those types of post about Wavedashing.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
This may already have been explained (I'm admitting to the fact I haven't read through the first 4 pages of this) but I feel that I would give my opinion.

Disclaimer: I don't like Brawl at all. I bought it and quickly realized this and have put in just enough time to beat the SSE into the game.

The air dodge from Brawl is what should be in Brawl+. If you put in the air dodge from Melee, that's fine, but you're essentially making it Melee 2.0...and if that's what everyone wants, great. But, it ceases to be Brawl+ then and transforms into Melee 2.0.

My vote goes to the Brawl air dash simply because we're already played Melee to death, and while some people would care for a Melee 2.0, a lot of us would really like a new game to play.
Very good reasons along side my own. ;)

Kupo, you gonna pm Phantom Wings for the code? :p

storm92

Smash Ace
Quite possibly the worst post on this topic, you don't even address MAD vs BAD and then use incorrect information to say MAD causes glitches. Which as meta explained, it was a side-effect of the physics engine. Everyone knows that here, stop believing all the propaganda ---- you see on Youtube.
Any comments on my idea? You can jump, attack, or upB after you use one BAD but no more than one?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I would be willing to try one BAD while still doing anything afterwards except another AD unless you are hit. So basically brawls current AD restricted to one like I said on the GSC boards.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
wut?

It's uses are the same as in Melee (though everybody now has a good Wavedash). It's far from useless. Really, the current lack of a decent Dash Dance make it MORE useful. And why wouldn't it have no place in Brawl?
These are my feelings as well.

Wavedashing would improve a great many terrible characters, and would help seperate "the good from the bad" as it were.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Find a way to put them both in? Both MAD and BAD. Then you have all the best choices. Why does Melee have to be such a hot button issue with brawl players?(I know why but you won't like it if I say it.)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Im seeing that brawl is really competitive and the bad characters are good now with more hitstun. When you have shield stun, then it will be perfect. But we will still try DD.

So why do you guys think that you need (not want) wavedashing for brawl to be competitive?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Wave dashing.
excuse my language.

Can go **** itself up the bathroom wall until it can no longer walk, falls silently to the floor and cries of how it hates its life.

Thats something for melee, Brawl is brawl, melee is melee, Wavedashing, Is not needed for Brawl +.
Honestly the other things you could add instead of Melee Airdodge....that should stay for something like maybe an online battle or something.
If Brawl+ gets a standard for it's cult following....Melee air dodge shouldn't be in it.

Hitstun, No tripping first.
Then L-canceling likely comes second.

Then everything else is just filler >.>

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wave dashing.
excuse my language.

Can go **** itself up the bathroom wall until it can no longer walk, falls silently to the floor and cries of how it hates its life.

Thats something for melee, Brawl is brawl, melee is melee, Wavedashing, Is not needed for Brawl +.
Honestly the other things you could add instead of Melee Airdodge....that should stay for something like maybe an online battle or something.
If Brawl+ gets a standard for it's cult following....Melee air dodge shouldn't be in it.

Hitstun, No tripping first.
Then L-canceling likely comes second.

Then everything else is just filler >.>
LOL. Very well put! That is pretty much how me and my friends think about wavedashing

I think shield stun should be on that list also so ppl dont camp inside their shields. It gives this form of camping more reward with the ability to combo.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
The Melee air dodge doesn't work at all in Brawl IMO. Brawl is very floaty and was designed to have more aerial combat. In Melee you could get past an attacker with a well-timed air dodge, in Brawl you're still nowhere close to the ground after a dodge. Especially characters like Pit and MK can just keep beating you up. You also don't need the momentum because everyone can get back from pretty much anywhere regardless. Having the Melee air dodge in Brawl feels forced and if you want Melee mechanics like this one so badly, you should just play Melee.

zxeon

Smash Lord
If you have to Airdodge with the melee airdodge just do it away from your opponent and towards the ground. That should solve the problems of getting away from attackers.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
The Melee air dodge doesn't work at all in Brawl IMO. Brawl is very floaty and was designed to have more aerial combat. In Melee you could get past an attacker with a well-timed air dodge, in Brawl you're still nowhere close to the ground after a dodge. Especially characters like Pit and MK can just keep beating you up. You also don't need the momentum because everyone can get back from pretty much anywhere regardless. Having the Melee air dodge in Brawl feels forced and if you want Melee mechanics like this one so badly, you should just play Melee.
Yeah, multiple jumpers would **** harder in the air than they already do..

Starscream

Smash Ace
I really like wavedashing in Brawl+

I don't care if it becomes Melee 2.0 by what idiots say.
I wouldn't care if this became Melee 2.0 either, but this wavedash is so different than Melee's that it's ********. And I don't mean different good either.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
We played with hitstun, auto L-Cancel (I prefer S-Cancel for Brawl+), and no tripping of course at school the other day and it just felt alot better with no MAD. While it is fun to do I think Brawl+ is better suited without MAD and just the standard for Brawl. The current hitstun code allows for enough combos, to the point where once you're in you sometimes can't get out (depending on the degree you have on your wii of course) so maybe we do need a way to escape at one point like if the opponent screws up the combo or something.

So yeah, no MAD. The natural tendancy for most Brawl players to air dodge screws you over too with MAD.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Question, can we make an airdodge that you can slowly DI anywhere but is still going according to gravity? (Like a mix b/w MAD and BAD?)

Or should I say a more DI-able Brawl Air Dodge but not as linear and solid as Melee's?

That way we can still get Brawl's Air Dodge while being able to wavedash.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Question, can we make an airdodge that you can slowly DI anywhere but is still going according to gravity? (Like a mix b/w MAD and BAD?)

Or should I say a more DI-able Brawl Air Dodge but not as linear and solid as Melee's?

That way we can still get Brawl's Air Dodge while being able to wavedash.
This sounds like a good idea. Just kind of remove the pause at the end and there you go right? Call it Brawl directional airdodge.

Top Bottom