• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics of recovery moves changed? (Requesting E for All test!)

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Really quick version for E for All attendees: If you ever get the chance, try playing as Samus and doing a screw attack from the ground (make sure you don't accidently jump before it goes off). You should notice that she doesn't blink, even though she looks like she's in a freefall state. Test if she's able to jump, attack, etc. from this state before hitting the ground.

If it works, try it out with Diddy and/or Fox too if you should happen to be playing either of them. It looks like Diddy might not be able to do it even if Samus can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably supposed to post this in the official update thread in the Dojo subforum, but there is way too much OMG SONIC going on for any actual discussion to occur, and this discovery strikes me as being very important.

Anyway, as we all know, in Super Smash Bros. Melee, after performing an up-B (or, in some cases, side-B) or air-dodging, your character begins blinking and cannot act in any way until hitting the ground or grabbing an edge. In today's trailers, it has been confirmed (or at least very strongly suggested) that this will change in Brawl, and you will continue to be able to act freely after performing a recovery move.

There are two pieces of evidence for this. First of all, look at the non-Sonic trailer, specifically the part where Fox grabs the Smash Ball. You will notice that he uses a Fox Illusion to get to it, and ends in mid-air. Under Melee mechanics, this would make him very dead, because the Fox Illusion uses up his recovery and would send him down to his grave. The idea that someone (even just acting for a trailer) would commit suicide like that is kind of silly as it would be completely avoidable. So, that suggests that Fox is probably still able to use his second jump after performing a recovery move (he did the Illusion from the ground, so he hadn't used it up yet). It's also possible that the Illusion is no longer treated as a recovery move, but being able to do both an indefinite amount of Illusions and a Firefox would make give the guy a pretty broken recovery.

EDIT: Someone pointed out that Fox's damage goes from 16 to 0 between here and the actual appearance of the Landmaster, so he may have died here after all and kept the Smash Ball through death. However, I still maintain that it's kind of odd for them to have him suicide for no reason.

The second occurance is in the Sonic trailer. This is a lot more definite, but also harder to see. Look very closely at the part a little before Sonic grabs Donkey Kong. You can see (very briefly) Sonic summon a spring and shoot into the air. This is almost definitely his up-B (you can see him doing it again in mid-air later in the trailer). However, at the peak of the jump, he does what appears to be an up-air and just keeps right on attacking.

So, what does all this mean? After doing a recovery move (and maybe even an airdodge, though we can't say for sure), it looks like you'll still be capable of attacking or using your second jump if you haven't already. (Obviously you couldn't use the recovery move itself again, but your other abilities would remain intact.) This could change the way midair battles work for many characters (something we know Sakurai has been trying to build on) and would make a lot of previously-useless moves a lot more effective in a combat situation (Samus's Screw Attack comes to mind, and Pikachu could do some really cool stuff with Quick Attack).

There is one more thing that must be noted, however, and that's that in both of these examples, the character in question initialized the recovery move from the ground. It's still possible that doing them from an airborne position will still work the same as it does now in Melee. But even so, it could still add some interesting new strategies for a lot of characters.

Any comments? If someone has evidence that we've seen Brawl characters in the old "freefall" post-recovery state, that would be particularly interesting, as it would suggest that either aerial recoveries or airdodges still take away your ability to act.

EDIT: There is, in fact, evidence of Fox going into freefall after using his up-B from an aerial position in the 15-second trailer. Therefore, it would appear that these changes only affect up-B moves used from a standing position (or it only works for Sonic, but that would just be silly).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE! October 12th - New Gameplay Footage

Okay, today's new gameplay footage contains a couple of important developments!

First and foremost, Diddy Kong is shown doing his Rocketbarrel Boost from the ground, but he still freefalls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evajWSPy7SA at around 10 seconds). So, whatever is going on here, it doesn't affect everybody equally.

Secondly, it turns out that Sonic can ALWAYS act after doing his up-B, even when he starts from the air! See the last few seconds of this video here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/116759.html

Even more interesting, though, is in regards to Samus in the Delfino Plaza free-for-all (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4lvbMpUVU4). She does a number of Screw Attacks in that video. Most of them are done from the air, and all of those put her in the standard freefall state, as expected. But there's one point in which she initiates a Screw Attack from the ground and, well, it's a little bit different.

The shots on the left show the standard freefall procedure. She blinks between being normal-colored and heavily darkened until she hits the ground, and is unable to perform any action.

Look on the right, though...the screenshots for the one time she does a Screw Attack from the ground. She's still spinning in the same way as on the left...but she's only half as dark, and most importantly, she NEVER BLINKS. She stays a solid color the whole time. It looks like it's a whole new state...one that's halfway between freefall and neutral. My prediction? This new semi-freefall state indicates a time when you can still jump and/or attack, but not do another recovery move.

The question is...why could Sonic and Samus act after doing a ground-based up-B, but not Diddy? The best idea I can come up with at the moment is that characters with aimable, multi-directional up-Bs (like Diddy and Fox) don't benefit from this mechanic, but those with fixed-trajectory up-Bs (Samus, Mario) will get the semi-freefall if they start from the ground. With luck, maybe teleport moves will allow you to take an action after doing one from the ground too, but it's impossible to say right now. And what about Sonic's total aerial freedom? Will any other character be able to match it? I'll keep my eye out for new developments as new videos come in. Feel free to do the same!

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
The only event that can destroy your theory is Fox free-falling after firefoxing in the 15 second trailer.
<<;

**Edit**
Which occurs after you see the close-up of him FF, on the Lylat stage. He does it to Bowser in the center of the stage.

And, Ike's special move update. They reveal his upB, and when he falls, he receives no knock-back.
<3

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Also there's clearly a big camera cut between Fox's side-B and the tank, and it seems Fox may have died in the interum, because his damage when he picks up the orb is > 0, but in the tank scene it is set back to 0 again. So there's no evidence he actually lived after he got the orb, it may have been that the smash orb ability carried over to his next stock then he used it, and they cut that part out.

However, I don't think this discounts the theory because the Sonic evidence is pretty strong. Sonic, at least, clearly has the ability to spring up with an obvious Up+B move, then do an UAir followed by a Down+B dive kick move without having to land first. That's either a huge advantage for Sonic or evidence the mechanics have changed in the way suggested.

konoha107

Smash Apprentice
Wow, that's good. That got pretty stupid after a while. I'm glad they changed it.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
The only event that can destroy your theory is Fox free-falling after firefoxing in the 15 second trailer.
<<;

**Edit**
Which occurs after you see the close-up of him FF, on the Lylat stage. He does it to Bowser in the center of the stage.

And, Ike's special move update. They reveal his upB, and when he falls, he receives no knock-back.
<3
Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing a free-fall somewhere. However, as I suspected, he does the Firefox from an airborne position. Sonic does his up-B from the ground, and it's pretty obvious that he's attacking afterwards. So, the idea of recovery moves performed from a standing position working the way I suggested is still very likely.

And before anyone suggests that the kicks are part of the up-B: he does the spring jump later on in the same trailer, and he doesn't do any of them. So he's clearly attacking out of the ability.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention you could argue the UAir is part of the move if not for the other evidence, but there's no way the dive kick immediately following would be part of the same move, that's way too long and complicated a sequence to be one move. Its obvious the dive kick is a seperate move he did after the spring-up. So the only conclusions are:

1) Sonic is unique in the ability to do attacks after an Up+B (from the ground, maybe not from the air).

or

2) Everyone can now do attacks after an Up+B (from the ground, maybe not from the air).

or

3) Sonic's springboard move is not his Up+B.

1 and 3 make little sense, so 2 is the most likely. Now with that in mind, the questions remaining are:

1) Is it only from the ground, or can mid-air Up+B's also let you do other moves after?
2) Does this apply to mid-air dodges and side-B moves that traditionally disabled the character?
3) It would seem obvious that even if you can do other moves after the Up+B, you can't do another Up+B (especially if you can do this with a mid-air Up+B), but could it not be confusing to remember which moves you still can do after doing them in mid-air? Probably one of the most common complaints I hear in smash matches is "oh, crap, thought I still had my second jump" when someone fails to recover because they were trying to jump and were too late to notice the problem and switch to an Up+B (generally because they did a double-jump then were hit away and forgot they had already double-jumped). I imagine being able to do an Up+B once but not repeat it could be confusing.

Mr_X

Smash Apprentice
Being able to attack after perfoming recovery moves is probably only possible from the ground. It's be crazy powerful otherwise.

I think dodges stay the same. If you look at Mario in the Sonic Approaches trailer, after he jump on the second platform, he does an airdodge and looks to be helpless in the midst of the chaos.

Great dissection of the video by the way. ^_^

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
its gotta be just like differ aspects for differ charas, sorta like only gdorf and falcon get 2nd jumps back after their down Bs. i rly think fox died after getting the smash ball, but for sonic, perhaps his recovery rule is that he can only use one spring without touching the ground again, but he can still move. if u think of it, hes rly only springing (snake will prob also not have stun since its like an external object). but for the firefox, fox is like using up special power which stuns him afterwards? i dunno....

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Other characters go limp after their Up B. And remember everytime Sonic is seen using the spring, it is from a grounded point. So maybe the spring is just a type of super jump that can be performed on the stage.

Here are some theories.

1. The spring is an Up B attack. But if used on the ground, Sonic is allowed to use attacks afterwards.

2. The spring is a different special attack. It works differently in the air then on the ground.

Example: Sonic has a move in the air where he does a diagnal kick down similar to the Falcon dive. Maybe if on the ground the down B uses the spring and in the air it does the dive kick. (Because the dive kick looks like it can only be used in the air, and the spring looks like it could only be used ont he ground.)

Izaw

Smash Ace
You know Sonics spring attack hasen't been confirmed to Up B so it can another A attack.

Anyway, in The Sonic Movie you can see at about 0.35 that Link is using his up B and then "blinkingly" falls.

Karleko

Smash Cadet
Who says it's a confirmed Up B, why are you so set on believing it's he Up B, just because it propels him upwards doesn't mean anything. He can move after the move has been used (on the ground).

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention you could argue the UAir is part of the move if not for the other evidence, but there's no way the dive kick immediately following would be part of the same move, that's way too long and complicated a sequence to be one move.
For the record, the drill kick is definitely his up-air. He does another spring jump later in the trailer and doesn't do it.

Being able to attack after perfoming recovery moves is probably only possible from the ground. It's be crazy powerful otherwise.

I think dodges stay the same. If you look at Mario in the Sonic Approaches trailer, after he jump on the second platform, he does an airdodge and looks to be helpless in the midst of the chaos.

Great dissection of the video by the way. ^_^
Yeah, dodges and aerial up-Bs definitely still put you in the freefall state. It's just recovery moves initiated from the ground that I'm thinking about at this point.

Other characters go limp after their Up B. And remember everytime Sonic is seen using the spring, it is from a grounded point. So maybe the spring is just a type of super jump that can be performed on the stage.

Here are some theories.

1. The spring is an Up B attack. But if used on the ground, Sonic is allowed to use attacks afterwards.

2. The spring is a different special attack. It works differently in the air then on the ground.

Example: Sonic has a move in the air where he does a diagnal kick down similar to the Falcon dive. Maybe if on the ground the down B uses the spring and in the air it does the dive kick. (Because the dive kick looks like it can only be used in the air, and the spring looks like it could only be used ont he ground.)
Zero Suit Samus has been shown doing that exact same kick, so I'm open to the possibility of it replacing a ground-only move. However, the move in question could just as easily be the Spin Dash. It would be consistent with the games, anyway...it was always down+[button] and could only be done on the ground.

And I don't think that the idea of using the spring in the air is rationally impossible (by Brawl's standards, anyway). Sonic's springs have a history of not behaving anything at all like a spring is supposed to, in that they blast you to Kingdom Come as soon as you touch them from any angle without such frivolities as realistically compressing first. So I could easily picture Sonic dropping a spring beneath him, launching himself down into it with one of his homing dash thingies, and being shot upwards. Isaac Newton would be spinning in his grave, I guess, but I think we're already way past the point of caring about that in this game series.

And to the other posters, there's no way that I'm believing it's an A move. It's either up-B or down-B, so I guess we'll know for sure when Sonic's special moves update comes around (which, if the past is any indication, will be soon).

pyrimadines

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps, since it seems Sonic's Up-B doesn't damage anyone and is just an extra long jump, perhaps he can protect himself by attacking after it.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
If you watch that Sonic clip again (time is from 0:21-0:23-24ish) you will notice Sonic is in a Spin dash right before that spring goes off. Perhaps the spring is not only his up+B but an Item that can be thrown similar to the bumper but with cloaking capabilities?

It wouldn't be the first time a character's recovery move was implemented as an item... Peach's Umbrella, Samus' Screw Attack. Just some food for thought.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Ha! Look upon today's update, oh ye of little faith, and despair! Down-b Spin Charge, up-b Spring Jump. Advantage: Wyvern!

So, now that that's cleared up, I think the Sonic trailer speaks for itself. Sonic performs his up-B from the ground and uses no less than two attacks before hitting the ground. Looks pretty cut and dry to me: the move didn't put him in the freefall state.

The only room left for doubt that I can see is an assumption that this mechanic only affects Sonic, but I fail to see why, after coming up with this idea, they would limit it to one character. Sakurai even said in the update that "you might not use it on the ground much", so it's not like it's supposed to be some character-defining capability. And as I said, it would give new life to a lot of rarely-used moves, expand aerial combat by adding new combo starters (remember: building on aerial combat has been one of Sakurai's main goals in designing this game), and I don't really see and potential for overpowered-ness now that we've established it doesn't affect actual recoveries from off the stage.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Why shouldn't characters do attacks after their third jump. It develops the arial attacks. People should be more open minded. Just because Fox didn't attack after his third jump didn't mean he couldn't.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
No, Fox was definitely incapable of acting in the 15-second trailer. You can tell from the position he's in. The post-recovery/airdodge freefall state looks different than the regular falling position, and he's definitely in the former. Go play Fox in Training Mode on Final Destination, set the speed to 1/4, and note the difference between the two. He only does the arms-out falling position after doing the Firefox or Fox Illusion. That's why it would appear that this only affects recovery moves that start from the ground.

I assume the reason that it doesn't work all the time is a deliberate attempt to increase vulnerability during a recovery to promote edgeguarding. For example, look at Ganondorf. His up-B is terrible, so he would probably be a lot better off doing the up-B first and then starting with the kicks and jumps. However, Ganondorf is SUPPOSED to have a terrible recovery. A poor defense offsets his ungodly amount of offensive strength. If everyone was able to deliver a quick attack during the last leg of their recoveries, edgeguarding would be a lot harder and more dangerous, sweetspotting would be less important, etc. They intentionally wanted a recovering character to be at a defensive disadvantage.

However, the way things were done before, the implementation of that disadvantage made moves like the Screw Attack, Farore's Wind, and Mario's up-B useless for no reason while you were still on the stage. Hence this new mechanic, which will allow you to combine them with jumps and aerial attacks and make them not suck.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been said already but maybe if you haven't used your 2nd jump you could still use it after you up-b, whether you started it in the air or not....

This would be so awesome for Mewtwo and Pikachu, though useless for Kirby or Ike lol.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Sonic used his attack from the ground. The update states the spring stays there, so what most likely happened is that the spring was already there from a previous recovery, sonic used it again and still has his attackzords

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
If you look really closely, you can see that the spring isn't there in the first couple of frames of the clip. So, unless it compresses into a singularity when you step on it, it was definitely summoned for the first time there.

Taken the very instant before Sonic Spring Jumps after DK. Note the distinct lack of springs.

Ryota

Smash Rookie
Hey take a look at IGN's Castle Siege Video.
Around 00:14~00:16 Diddy uses his Rocket (UpB) and a moment later, WallJump/ForwardB (I believe it's his ForwardB, since he does an very similar move in the beggining of the video, it's actually the first move he pulls out in that match)

So yeah, looks like the Recovery Moves mechanics changed.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
I think this video helps.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yMgyjfaFpu4

Approximately 0:56 in. Samus uses her Up+B from the lower floor. Reaches up through the top floor, catching Ike and Pit with the Screw Attack. After the move, Samus falls in the traditional "Oh crap I can't do anything" manner. The little flash of light around her, the darkened color scheme, and the limpness.

Seems like that whole Up+B change is a Sonic-only ability.

I'd be willing to bet that Fox Illusion hasn't changed...like most of the recovery techniques.

EDIT: And watch the video closely. Samus uses Up+B two other times over the following 10 seconds, all back-to-back, and every time, falls in the traditional manner.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Hey take a look at IGN's Castle Siege Video.
Around 00:14~00:16 Diddy uses his Rocket (UpB) and a moment later, WallJump/ForwardB (I believe it's his ForwardB, since he does an very similar move in the beggining of the video, it's actually the first move he pulls out in that match)

So yeah, looks like the Recovery Moves mechanics changed.

Didn't the Dojo mention that Diddy's barrel rockets could misfire sometimes? I think that's what happened while he was off the stage.

I'm more concerned about a few seconds before that, when he does the up-B straight from the platform but still clearly enters the freefall state. But then there's still Sonic clearly NOT going into freefall...ugh. Is it Sonic-specific after all? Or only certain characters? Is it based on some attribute of the up-B, like whether or not it's multi-directional? I need to look through all these videos later when I have time to look for more clues. Has anybody else seen anything yet?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I think this video helps.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yMgyjfaFpu4

Approximately 0:56 in. Samus uses her Up+B from the lower floor. Reaches up through the top floor, catching Ike and Pit with the Screw Attack. After the move, Samus falls in the traditional "Oh crap I can't do anything" manner. The little flash of light around her, the darkened color scheme, and the limpness.

Seems like that whole Up+B change is a Sonic-only ability.

I'd be willing to bet that Fox Illusion hasn't changed...like most of the recovery techniques.

EDIT: And watch the video closely. Samus uses Up+B two other times over the following 10 seconds, all back-to-back, and every time, falls in the traditional manner.
Wait. Wait! Look again! She's in the air the first time! She doesn't do it from the ground. And then a few seconds later, she does it again from the ground and hits Ike, and she's NOT BLINKING! She's still spinning, and she doesn't do anything, but no blinking! Then she Screw Attacks again, from the air this time, misses, and DOES blink! But she doesn't the second time!

But Diddy DOES. And this presents a problem. So some characters will always freefall no matter what. But Sonic definitely doesn't from the ground, and though Samus always does from the air, it looks like she might still be able to jump or attack after Screw Attacking from the ground. What's the distinction? The only thing I can see is that Diddy's up-B is aimable and multidirectional, whereas Samus's and Sonic's always have the same trajectory. Could this be significant? I don't know, and it'll be a few hours before I can watch all the videos. Keep the observations coming, everyone!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
To me, it seems as simple as allowing characters with non-attacking Up+B moves to be able to fight back. Since Sonic's Up+B isn't really an attack, he could be allowed to fight back.

As for the video with Samus, the only thing I'm seeing that's out of the norm is that at some point, it looks as if Samus does 2 Up+B's in a row, gaining a lot more height than normal. It happens after she strikes Ike with the Screw attack. It looks as if she performs the Up+B, then just as it's starting to slow down, she suddenly accelerates and goes even higher in to the air.

It may be an illusion though due to the camera shifting at that point, and it looks like Samus may have fastfalled back towards the ground.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
Wait. Wait! Look again! She's in the air the first time! She doesn't do it from the ground. And then a few seconds later, she does it again from the ground and hits Ike, and she's NOT BLINKING! She's still spinning, and she doesn't do anything, but no blinking! Then she Screw Attacks again, from the air this time, misses, and DOES blink! But she doesn't the second time!

But Diddy DOES. And this presents a problem. So some characters will always freefall no matter what. But Sonic definitely doesn't from the ground, and though Samus always does from the air, it looks like she might still be able to jump or attack after Screw Attacking from the ground. What's the distinction? The only thing I can see is that Diddy's up-B is aimable and multidirectional, whereas Samus's and Sonic's always have the same trajectory. Could this be significant? I don't know, and it'll be a few hours before I can watch all the videos. Keep the observations coming, everyone!
Honestly? I think she's Screwing from the ground. What we're seeing there is the optical illusion that we've been seeing in all of the gameplay footage: for Brawl's new aerial game, Sakurai is upping vertical character movement to a crazy degree. In all of the gameplay footage we've seen, characters are able to just about clear the highest point in the stage...with a single primary jump. They super-juiced Up+B in particular (even Mario's; see the vid in Castle Siege), and I think Samus' Up+B here is no exception.

I very clearly see her character flicker after every Up+B.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
It would actually make a lot of sense for recovery moves used from the ground to not trigger the helpless free-fall.

It would make them much more useful as actual attacks. Think Samus up-B out of shield if you could nair right after it. :chuckle:

MunkyMan33

Smash Apprentice
hmmm... on the dojo it shows that sonics up-b is different then his air up-b. The ground one leaves the spring behind for others to use. It would be silly if the spring was there after sonic up-b from the ground and you follow him using it and can't do anything but float back to the ground.

Think of sonic's ground up-b as an item drop. He drops the spring which will launch any and all characters in the air with all there jumps and moves intact.

What do you think? Nice theory btw, keep digging for info and we'll see.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
hmmm... on the dojo it shows that sonics up-b is different then his air up-b. The ground one leaves the spring behind for others to use. It would be silly if the spring was there after sonic up-b from the ground and you follow him using it and can't do anything but float back to the ground.

Think of sonic's ground up-b as an item drop. He drops the spring which will launch any and all characters in the air with all there jumps and moves intact.

What do you think? Nice theory btw, keep digging for info and we'll see.
Perhaps, no matter where he does it, it will appear somewhere below him (either in midair or on the ground [directly beneath him]). It will then dissapear the next time he activates it. Since it is an item and not really a move, he will have the unique ability to attack with anything after using it. However he probably will not be able to summon the spring/item again until he touches the ground.

I do not believe that everyone should have this ability... there are certain consequences for abusing moves (especially upB so there's no reason why they should make it less of a risk for people to use.)

[edit] of course the spring should not be sitting on the stage for much longer than a couple seconds regardless of the next time he chooses to use it. Otherwise people would leave one sitting off stage and find some stupid things to do with it.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15401

Sonic using attacks after B^ clearly shown. Perhaps it is a second part to his Spring Jump? (press B again within a timeframe after jumping to do the dive kick)

edit: Nevermind, that can't be it. Later on, he uses the dive kick without ever doing the Spring Jump. o_______o

Ryota

Smash Rookie
Didn't the Dojo mention that Diddy's barrel rockets could misfire sometimes? I think that's what happened while he was off the stage.

I'm more concerned about a few seconds before that, when he does the up-B straight from the platform but still clearly enters the freefall state. But then there's still Sonic clearly NOT going into freefall...ugh. Is it Sonic-specific after all? Or only certain characters? Is it based on some attribute of the up-B, like whether or not it's multi-directional? I need to look through all these videos later when I have time to look for more clues. Has anybody else seen anything yet?
Aw forget what I said. I think he grabed the edge, droped it and used his ForwardB.
I don't know if anyone noticed, but when you use your Recovery Move from below the edge and goes in its direction, the character will not execute his full move and will cancel it grabbing the ledge. Just take a look at Diddy in IGN's Castle Siege Gameplay (01:10) and Link in Gamespot's Gameplay Demo (06:07) (in the Link one it's more visible)

Oh and I agree with Munky.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not convinced that Samus is blinking after her grounded screw attack in the Delfino trailer. I'm trying to get some screenshots out of the IGN hi-res version of the video, but I can't download it, so it's taking forever (if I accidently hit "rewind", I get to wait for it to load for another 10 minutes). From what I'm seeing, though, it looks like after the grounded Screw Attack, she's half-darkened, but not blinking, meaning it's a totally new semi-freefall state distinct from both the neutral and freefall states.

I'll get a visual color comparison soon if I can get it to work...if you want to try to see it for yourself, the video is here: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html

The more I see it, the more sure I get...if worse comes to worse, I can get some screenshots from the 320x180 version that I can download, but I know it'll be a lot less convincing at that size.

Mr_X

Smash Apprentice
In the latest gameplay movie posted on gamevideos Sonic uses his up+B in the air but then continues to attack afterwards. Maybe this is specific to Sonic or maybe there is a recovery time that must pass before another attack, excluding another up+B, can be done.

Here's a link:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15422

He attacks twice after using his up+B actually. First he does it in the air, then one the ground...

Top Bottom