• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics of recovery moves changed? (Requesting E for All test!)

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
some pictures too lol
this thread has come along nicely.... but.... WHAT ABOUT METAKNIGHT AND MARIO'S UP+B?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe only random characters have weird up+b's like that...
If you did Meta Knight's up-B from the ground, you would just land back on the ground anyway since he does a full loop. The idea of freefalling after a grounded up-B is irrelevent to him, in much the same way it is irrelevent to, say, Link, who never leaves the ground during a Spin Attack. Also, he has a very personally-designed up-B in that he automatically glides at the end of it when he does it in the air. He still goes into freefall if he breaks the glide, but it still gives him a personal element of control without having to mess around with all this freefall stuff.

And we have never seen Mario do his up-B from the ground. I looked; he jumps a little before every one. And not imperceptibly like Samus did that one time; it's pretty obvious if you watch the high-res video and look closely. I'll bet he follows the same rules as Samus (whatever they may be).

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Hmm.. if UpBs auto sweetspot the ledgenow, wouldn't ledgestalling be improved to perhaps broken levels? Link could just drop off the ledge, instantly upb and instantly grab on again, over and over. Sure Melee had this but to a much lesser extent since Up Bs didn't auto sweetspot.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Hmm.. if UpBs auto sweetspot the ledgenow, wouldn't ledgestalling be improved to perhaps broken levels? Link could just drop off the ledge, instantly upb and instantly grab on again, over and over. Sure Melee had this but to a much lesser extent since Up Bs didn't auto sweetspot.

Rofl, that stall would be **** to any Fox trying to sweetspot a phantasm.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Um, that has nothing to do with the scope of this thread.

Like, at all.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
This thread is about recovery moves, and Link's Up B is a recovery move is it not?
It is specifically about the post-recovery freefall state, and the manners in which it appears to have changed in Brawl. Which you would have known if you read more than one sentence of the first post.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated with the influx of people who have been making no effort to read through the thread or even all the way to the bottom of the first post and assume they can add meaningfully to the discussion at hand. I think in the last several pages there have been maybe a dozen people posting that they have "discovered" something which is clearly detailed halfway through the very first post.

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah, but technically, the title of the thread is "Mechanics of Recovery moves changed?"

So I agree that auto sweetspotting is relevant. I noticed it too, could be cool.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
It would appear from the evidence discovered in this thread (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120154&page=22) that directional airdodging is no longer possible; rather, airdodging always causes you to continue with your current trajectory without providing any additional force. So, those of you who were worrying about the combination of airdodging as a "fourth jump" and post-up-B attacks being overpowered, you can relax now.

Those of you worrying about wavedashing...not so much. But that's for another thread.

Top Bottom