• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
can someone check if The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return has MDL0 as well as The House of the Dead: Overkill. it says on wikipedia that sega published overkill while they developed and published The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

John2k4

The End of an Era
Alright, I spend the past day and a half reading through this thread (and yes I know it has a search option, tried that too) looking for answers to this, but couldn't find anything... :/

Anyways, I'm trying to get the models from Bubble Bobble Plus! to have the texture mapped properly when I open them in both BrresViewer and BrawlBox. (I hope to be able to mess with them in Blender, but that's not as much of a priority).

I have decompressed them, and run the hex tool in OP, but BrresViewer can never properly map the texture (it's always a solid texture), and BrawlBox crashes entirely when I try to view the models.

I know that RandomTBush got it to load properly in Brawl, so I'd be really appreciative if I could get some help from him (or anyone for that matter). :)

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Hey, RTB, could you look at this file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5869687/a_pre1.sfd

I have a strong suspicion that it contains Okami CHR0 files compressed in a similar format to, if not identical to, LZ77 compression.

If you could look at it, and find a way to fix it, thatt would be most excellent.
As I mentioned in the PM I sent ya, SFD files are video files, so they wouldn't have animations in them.

can someone check if The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return has MDL0 as well as The House of the Dead: Overkill. it says on wikipedia that sega published overkill while they developed and published The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
I've got the hard drive space, so I'll go check 'em out later.

Alright, I spend the past day and a half reading through this thread (and yes I know it has a search option, tried that too) looking for answers to this, but couldn't find anything... :/

Anyways, I'm trying to get the models from Bubble Bobble Plus! to have the texture mapped properly when I open them in both BrresViewer and BrawlBox. (I hope to be able to mess with them in Blender, but that's not as much of a priority).

I have decompressed them, and run the hex tool in OP, but BrresViewer can never properly map the texture (it's always a solid texture), and BrawlBox crashes entirely when I try to view the models.

I know that RandomTBush got it to load properly in Brawl, so I'd be really appreciative if I could get some help from him (or anyone for that matter). :)
It should work perfectly fine in-game. What's weird is that the outer layer for Bubblun/Bobblun/etc. is just a solid colour (black) that has forced-inverted normals in-game (but not in model previewers). As for why it crashes BrawlBox, I have no idea considering it worked fine for me last time I tried.

John2k4

The End of an Era
BrawlBox will display the texture files just fine, but clicking on the file tree for the models causes the program to throw an exception.

As for the model, I looked into it a bit more, and it seems the first polygon (polygon0) is what the solid colors are resulting from... is there a feasible way of deleting just that polygon from the three that the model has?

I found that SZS Modifier can load the brres files, and that in it's 3D viewer I can toggle off the first polygon, which seems to be masking the texture... only problem here though is that SZS seems to not know how to handle some of the mappings in the file...

ForOhFor Error

Smash Cadet
If you used MY model fixer, please don't. It's only confirmed to work well for Okami. Please use FW's for such things.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Nah, I've been using FW's - it's only that program that corrupts the 3D part. What I'm trying to figure out is how to delete the first polygon (polygon0) that is masking the texture on these...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
announced Kamen Rider Climax Heroes Fourze

its good because Climax Heroes series uses MDL0
Yep, I can safely say that there's about a 99% chance it will have MDL0, too.

Anyway, about to check House of the Dead 2 & 3: Return. Will report back later.

(EDIT: Nope. It's got AFS files, but it's an unknown model format. I'll check Overkill at a later time.)
(EDIT 2: And House of the Dead: Overkill has *.REV files, and no signs of MDL0 from checking a memory dump. So there ya go -- neither of them have it.)

Innerscope

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to import Tos2 mdl0s in brawl and I'm having problems. The problem is I don't know what the extra properties are. How do I know if a hex offset has extra properties?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
thanks RandomTBush for checking if those two house of the dead games has MDL0 its a shame they both don't tho.

Hmm i wonder if Death Jr. II: Root of Evil wii version as well as Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
has MDL0.

ForOhFor Error

Smash Cadet
Wii versions probably wouldn't have a Wii-exclusive format. Sonic Colors and Okami are rare exceptions...

Innerscope

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to convert another model to a DAE model format? (There's a dae to mdl0 conversion tutorial.)
I want to convert models from Tales of Graces( I think the format is .bind)

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
This might sound kinda dumb...

But could someone get the bowling pin model from Wii Sports (and/or Resort, if it's any different)? I'd like to see what kind of polygon count it's using.

I doubt they were modeled to USBC standards, but it will help me with a project I'm working on. :3

Lionman

Smash Champion
Super Sentai Battle Ranger Cross USES MDL0!

AND THE MODEL FILES IN THE ISO ARE IN BRRES! you dont need to do weird extracts and that ****

you only need to do the model fix thing

If you are a Sentai or Power Ranger fan this are awesome news for you

PD: The bones styles look similar than Falcon´s ones but i dont expect to be able to port Sentai Characters in Falcon lol

Edit: Also there are a lot of stages in MDL0 format

Edit2: There is animation data too "You need to do the frame fix to use them in brawl"

The most important thing about this

i can modify this game like brawl

Edit 3: Tons of sound effects and music are in Brstm format

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2EwHrkXRM

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Anybody know how to get the Mario Sports Mix models without doing a memory dump? Dolphin absolutely refuses to work on my computer no matter what the version, so... sort of out of options.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Super Sentai Battle Ranger Cross USES MDL0!

AND THE MODEL FILES IN THE ISO ARE IN BRRES! you dont need to do weird extracts and that ****

you only need to do the model fix thing

*image*

If you are a Sentai or Power Ranger fan this are awesome news for you

PD: The bones styles look similar than Falcon´s ones but i dont expect to be able to port Sentai Characters in Falcon lol

Edit: Also there are a lot of stages in MDL0 format

*another image*

Edit2: There is animation data too "You need to do the frame fix to use them in brawl"

*third image*

The most important thing about this

i can modify this game like brawl

Edit 3: Tons of sound effects and music are in Brstm format

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2EwHrkXRM
Ah, neat! I grew up watching Power Rangers, but, uh... I don't recognize any of the Ranger uniforms in this game. Probably because the last one I had watched was Lost Galaxy, and there's at least 37 (THIRTY-SEVEN!!!) other seasons that I don't even know about. Ah, well.

Anybody know how to get the Mario Sports Mix models without doing a memory dump? Dolphin absolutely refuses to work on my computer no matter what the version, so... sort of out of options.
I've got a few hexed models on my account. I'll probably just dump the rest of the non-hexed ones there within the next few days, to save you the time of getting them yourself.

I wonder if pokepark 2 will use mld0 :]
I'm 98% sure it will, seeing as it's still for the Wii (and not the Wii U) and is developed by the same group as the original game. I can't see them switching out of the MDL0 format for no reason with PokéPark 2.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Its about sentai, the japanese version (and original) of power rangers

i found models from Wild Force, Mystic Force, SPD, Samurai and i dont remember more, no models of the original Power Ranger show (Zyuranger) there.

Many mecha models are in the iso too

I think the Stage models will be useful for people who want to do urban-realistic style stages

Innerscope

Smash Apprentice
@RandomTBrush: How do I relink bones using a hex editor? I'm having trouble editing an mdl0 from tales of symphonia 2 and relinking bones is basically the problem.

John2k4

The End of an Era
In the OP, the link for "ARC file extraction: U8Tool" is broken... just a heads up. :p

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
@RandomTBrush: How do I relink bones using a hex editor? I'm having trouble editing an mdl0 from tales of symphonia 2 and relinking bones is basically the problem.
It is a lot of correcting, but basically what needs to be done is the headers have to be set to "D0" in hex. And all the data between that and the next bone needs to be deleted. And the parent/child bone indexes need to be corrected. And the bone definitions in the MDL0 header need to be corrected. And the string offsets need to be corrected for both of them. And filler data needs to be inserted after the last bone and before the materials (equal to the amount removed). And... *continues explaining way too many things*

In the OP, the link for "ARC file extraction: U8Tool" is broken... just a heads up. :p
Figures. That program was questionable in legality, anyway. So, just google it -- there's a MediaFire link with it.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Alright, thanks...

I can't seem to change the .arc model files for Super Mario Galaxy 2 into a brres/similar format. I know it's on your list of games without MDL0 files, but are the models open-able in any program? The ARC tool I got via Google didn't seem to do anything... :/

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks...

I can't seem to change the .arc model files for Super Mario Galaxy 2 into a brres/similar format. I know it's on your list of games without MDL0 files, but are the models open-able in any program? The ARC tool I got via Google didn't seem to do anything... :/
It's not the same ARC format. It uses the BMD model format (not MDL0), which is an alternative one that Nintendo used for Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy (2) and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Thanks RandomT.

Any info on what "Pinball Hall of Fame" would use? A quick peek into the ISO - I don't see any 3D models of any kind, not sure where they are hiding... :p

There's a resource.rez file, but no clue on how to open it. :/

Innerscope

Smash Apprentice
It is a lot of correcting, but basically what needs to be done is the headers have to be set to "D0" in hex. And all the data between that and the next bone needs to be deleted. And the parent/child bone indexes need to be corrected. And the bone definitions in the MDL0 header need to be corrected. And the string offsets need to be corrected for both of them. And filler data needs to be inserted after the last bone and before the materials (equal to the amount removed). And... *continues explaining way too many things*
Does this apply to the bones with extra properties, or does this apply to all the bones?

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Is there anything that needs to be done to Monster Hunter Tri models so they work properly in BrawlBox?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Thanks RandomT.

Any info on what "Pinball Hall of Fame" would use? A quick peek into the ISO - I don't see any 3D models of any kind, not sure where they are hiding... :p

There's a resource.rez file, but no clue on how to open it. :/
I'll check it out sometime later this week.

Does this apply to the bones with extra properties, or does this apply to all the bones?
Only the ones with extra properties need to have said properties snipped. (The ones that say "280" for HeaderLen instead of "208", basically.)

On that note, I'm glad that the newest BrawlBox beta can preview them without repairing the bone structure. Now if only it could remove those extra properties...

Is there anything that needs to be done to Monster Hunter Tri models so they work properly in BrawlBox?
Somehow, I think it might have to do with extra bone properties or something along those lines, but I haven't checked any of the models from that game yet. Which ones in particular are having that problem?

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
All of them. The models are version 11, but I know there's some way to make them work since somebody's made a Monster Hunter Tri stage already, plus I was able to put a Rathalos over Red Alloy a long time ago. Though I don't remember how it worked since it was with an older version of BrawlBox...

EDIT: I did some looking around at the Rathalos model I had put over the Alloy and saw that it said the model was a version 9 model instead of 11, wish I knew how that worked.

EDIT: I decided to screw around with the version 11 model by typing in a 9 instead of 11 in the 'Version' spot. It sort of worked, the model showed up properly in BrawlBox but parts of it were stretched.

I've been searching through the NSMBW iso for a particular group of models/textures and I'm at wits end here. I've been looking all day and I cant find where these objects from the background and stage are:

Does anybody know of a tool I can use that will let me know when certain files are being called upon in-game?

For example. if I run it with Dolphin, is there a way for it to tell me what arcs are being loaded via some kind of log file?

John2k4

The End of an Era
You might be able to memory-dump at that scene in Dolphin, and trawl through many GBs of raw data...I don't know of such a tool, but RandomT might know.

lol doesnt mean I dont have to sift through 300 or so files all named something in japanese. Every object has its own file. Then every stage. Then every object on the stage selection screen.

It maka me cry. D:

John2k4

The End of an Era
Might be what you need to do to find that one elusively-named background file... :p

I'll poke around for a bit and see if I can't find a file for it myself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nothing is compressed in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so you can easily get your models without relying on memory dumps.

Also, you can use Reggie as a reference to figure out which backgrounds got which IDs.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have a major update, relating to Mario Sports Mix...

Compression: The game uses an LZ and Huffman encoder (known as LH) to compress its contents. You need a newer ntcompress.exe, which is found in a newer revision of Revolution SDK, to decompress the files. Use Google to find it.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Did anyone find out if Bleach: Shattered blade has mdl0 files or not?
Don't know why I didn't list this in the first post, but I remember making a memory dump of the game a while back, and no, there were no signs of "MDL0" in that game.

I have a major update, relating to Mario Sports Mix...

Compression: The game uses an LZ and Huffman encoder (known as LH) to compress its contents. You need a newer ntcompress.exe, which is found in a newer revision of Revolution SDK, to decompress the files. Use Google to find it.
Hm, really? Cool, then I can make a proper dump of all of Mario Sports Mix's files, for my ever-growing model collection.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Does Fire emblem: radiant dawn have mdl0s?
I don't think they do, but I'll check that at a later time (or else someone else can).

What I do know, though, is that the newly-released Kirby: Return to Dream Land uses MDL0!

You have to use the Wii SDK's NTCompress.exe to decompress them, though, which I can't legally link to.

Top Bottom