• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Marth

∫unk

Smash Master
vs mike's style of marth battlefield is good... try playing neo on battlefield. i hate smashville the most vs marth anyways though

you could just stay in the center of the stage then you take 2 f-throw f-smash but you're not off stage yet (if you get grabbed)... but if you get grabbed near the edge that's easily a 70+% string you're taking

if you notice you're getting ***** underneath sh b-air to pivot swallow is good but only vs aggressive marths

if marth is above you (from a full hop or something else, although they rarely are since that's a HORRIBLE position for marth) f-air will beat any landing attack they have... if they're above you f-air and look for the grab on landing (but don't be obvious cause they'll spot dodge up b or side b after they land)

thanks cpu that was a really helpful post

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
vs mike's style of marth battlefield is good... try playing neo on battlefield. i hate smashville the most vs marth anyways though

you could just stay in the center of the stage then you take 2 f-throw f-smash but you're not off stage yet (if you get grabbed)... but if you get grabbed near the edge that's easily a 70+% string you're taking

if you notice you're getting ***** underneath sh b-air to pivot swallow is good but only vs aggressive marths

if marth is above you (from a full hop or something else, although they rarely are since that's a HORRIBLE position for marth) f-air will beat any landing attack they have... if they're above you f-air and look for the grab on landing (but don't be obvious cause they'll spot dodge up b or side b after they land)

thanks cpu that was a really helpful post
the derivative of pro is unk. The integral of unk is pro
good post I've never tried that

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I didn't read any of this, BUT

Something you guys might find very interesting if it hasn't already been stated.

IF marth up b's on the level, or to the ledge and you grab him before he lands on stage again, (OR inhale,shoot out, and still grab him before he lands, since inhale doesnt count as him landing since he gets no lost jumps back, and then grab him before he lands)

then u can grab, d-throw---> dash attack 100% of the time. You can down throw him into his up-b lag. :)

Marth is cool. I love it when they up b out of my chaingrab now.

Sometimes i **** up timing on purpose.

∫unk

Smash Master
or you could read michael hey's blog about it and learn more >__>

the swallow thing is interesting though and much more viable... mostly because it covers the get up options then you can turn around and spit them towards the stage

http://allisbrawl.com/blog.aspx?id=7542

i think it's the landing penalty one i haven't read them in a while

you get d-throw f-smash on ganon

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah Seibrik, someone posted that already, I forget who.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I didn't read any of this, BUT

Something you guys might find very interesting if it hasn't already been stated.

IF marth up b's on the level, or to the ledge and you grab him before he lands on stage again, (OR inhale,shoot out, and still grab him before he lands, since inhale doesnt count as him landing since he gets no lost jumps back, and then grab him before he lands)

then u can grab, d-throw---> dash attack 100% of the time. You can down throw him into his up-b lag. :)

Marth is cool. I love it when they up b out of my chaingrab now.

Sometimes i **** up timing on purpose.
Daaaaaang seibrik you make life easier :p now if only texas still had marths...

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I've been ****ing up grabs on marth on purpose since 08, that's a tech I honestly thought everyone knew 0__o.
Idk how to explain it though, I think Michael Hey wrote a blog about it on aib.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I tried that in my first tournament win, but the Marth was too stupid to Up B :/ So then I decided to start chain grabbing for real, and I forgot the timing. ;_;

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I've been ****ing up grabs on marth on purpose since 08, that's a tech I honestly thought everyone knew 0__o.
Idk how to explain it though, I think Michael Hey wrote a blog about it on aib.
I meant the fact that he still has lag after the inhale, not the missing grabz, that's common sense lol

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Yeah the whole grab him for lag after the up+b.
You can get a free fsmash, dash attack, or even jet hammer if you want.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Maybe it was mentioned elsewhere, but I have a hard time fighting Marth in the air, maybe it's just me, but I keep getting popped up into the air, and *****.

Suggestions/advice on how to solve the problem? (BESIDES not getting into an air fight)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm assuming he's spacing proplery, in which case I'll leave it to more experienced players, but if he ever gets to close, you can air dodge fast fall and then hit him with an uptilt. Do this also if he is juggle-ing you above him with upair. I've seen this done from time to time.

I imagine Beef being from SoCal will be able to help you further.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yeah, and CPU too. We have good experience with Marths here, whether it would be Bardull or MikeHaze, or random good ones.

Well as you know, our back air outprioritizes his forward air, it's all about knowing the exact timing of when his forward air will come out. If we back air a little bit before, it'll beat it.
But if you need help with grounded fights, you're just going to have to shield/spotdodge his forward air appropriately, and use your forward tilt, down tilt. Chances are you're never going to successfully shieldgrab a spaced forward air by Marth. You can also literally wait until you shielded both of his shorthopped forward airs, until he reaches the floor, that's where you grab him. Nothing too complex, think harder during the situation.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Serin is taking over this thread so I'm bumping it.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Sorry but I haven't played a Marth as recent as this bumping...to tell of anything new in particular about the matchup. Oh there is one thing though that top Marth's like MikeHaze have tried to do and successfully did against me.

• The moment we're hit offstage by a powerful tipped forward smash, neutral air, or upB, I've noticed that MikeHaze continues with persistent forward airs to reduce the number of jumps we have, so that once we upB and we're far enough away from stage, he can just edgeguard for the stock. Also mainly Marth can get us offstage or at least in the air easily by his sideB/Dancing Blade.
That's just something that I remember from last time we played like three months ago that nobody has ever said before about what Marth can do. Marth has the best ability to edgeguard King Dedede than other characters because of our big body, slow aerial movement, and Marth's forward airs that can build up to lose our jumps.
So keep this in mind [whoever lurks the king's boards] while playing against a top Marth in your region of the country.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
As a marth main, Ive been reevaluating this matchup out of necessity and frustration.

Heres what Ive noticed.

Approaching you is ridiculous. To the point that Id say powershielding your ftilt is the only viable one we have. Thankfully, its not that hard.

What ive noticed is that you have the same weak spot as yoshi- your nose. Most of your moves are extremely linear in nature (Ftilt, uair, Dair, utilt, bair), which leave a glaring weak spot at what would be the 45 degree angle. While it is covered by Fair, the speed leaves something to be desired.

So I got to thinking. How can Marth punish DDDs basic character design?

And then it hit me. Marth has to pull a DDD.

Bair and and wavebouncing. All day long. Bair hits at the perfect angle against DDD, beacuse it cant be directly beaten in the air...... yeah DDD can use his multiple jumps for mobility, but an Aerially spacing marth isnt going to be caught by an aerial DDD.

Obviously if spammed, the DDD could adjust. But could Marth's Bair be even gayer than DDDs if used properly?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
What he tried to say was:

SCG.

Shield Chain Grab.

Standing grab = More range than dash grab.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Your timing has to be pretty perfect if he is buffering upB, but with some practice it's not too hard to do.

Something good to do with Marth (and most characters in general) is to dthrow sometime in the match, but don't follow up with a CG. See how they react, and save that knowledge for later in the match to possible gt a KO. Some Marths (alot) won't buffer upB because that's what we expect. Just see that he does, and try to build off that.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
is it just me or is it a whole lot easier to hit marth with a fsmash after throwing him offstage with a dthrow than other characters are?

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think, there's anything new to say about this matchup.. It hasn't changed at all.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
this is one of my favorite match ups actually as i play DDD alot i have really gotten to know this matchup
i think Commander Beef had it right as marth i like to push u off the stage and i can make it hell 4 u to get back on

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
This MU is funny. Both characters can make it hell for each other to get off the stage. I think if we're perfect with our CGs we beat Marth slightly. His pressure game isn't as effective as it would be against someone like Snake for example. Plus our zoning game is pretty powerful also.

Top Bottom