• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion - Rob

Dnyce

Smash Master
ROB is an unwinable match-up. Easily in the range of 80:20.

Ftilt and dtilt beats EVERY good move Olimar has and utilt covers every latch zone AND SENDS PIKMIN AWAY SO YOU CAN'T USE THEM. Basically you have to whistle them back in order to use them again, it's such a mindgame cause you will try to pluck pikmin cause you only have 2, but you can't cause they're all ultra high so you have to whistle to use your pikmin again.... by the time you do that you're ****ed 8 different ways off stage - and Rob has a great off stage game in vbrawl

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We have to play a stage control game, but Gyro and Lasers limit our options too much. A well placed Gyro can give us too little room to get anything done, and Lasers keep pressure on us and force us into shields. We outcamp rob, but it's just too easy for him to get Pikmin off, so we're not actually dealing any damage. And we can't use Pikmin toss to create openings because if we get too close we're completely outranged by ftilt/dtilt (safe on shield against us) and he gets Pikmin off of him at the same time. 80:20 is a bit of an exaggeration, though XD But it's definitely one of our harder matchups, definitely in rob's favor.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
i never relized how hard this MU REALLY is till u had to go and say that hilt ;-; i hate ROB (goo)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Umm... I really don't know much about this match-up, but don't take him to RC. The ROB I played at A.L.S. did some strange gyro stuff and ended up ricocheting me off the side of the ship when we were at the transitional phase.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Ok, it's rare to find someone who outcamps Olimar but it's like that's the job ROB was created to do. Laser punishes SH pikmin throw and if you try to camp from the ground you're gonna eat a gyro to the face in mid throw -.- MAYBE if you have a white you can throw it from afar, but that laser goes everywhere so...yea SideB is just terrible in this MU.

ROB's spotdodge>dsmash. Seriously messes us up big time, I can't stand that. You can try to bait the dodge, but then he can just dodge again and THEN Dsmash, or he can mixup and go for a grab.

Oh and throws. I hate getting grabbed because Dthrow gets us in the air, and that's just horrible in this MU. Uair juggles us almost effortlesly, not to mention Nair eats whistle for breakfast. And fair? Fair + offstage = good luck or gg :urg:

For this mu, you really have to play it smart. Use pivot grabs if the ROB is dumb enough to approach with aerials, but that's not going to do much against a good player. Umm...fsmash works if he doesn't see it coming, but if he does he can just shoot us with a laser or gyro :/ Uair works if we can get him above us, but it requires REALLY good spacing. So to win just throw whites if you can, read everything, and capitalize on every opportunity to punish. Even then the mu is pretty bad. Maybe it's not 80:20, but it's at least 65:35.

Hmm, and stagewise. Well RC is just a terrible idea; we have to be in the air a lot and ROB just has a party once that happens, not to mention gyro can knock us out of our second jump if we aren't careful. PS1 works somewhat well because some of the transitions cause cease fire and let us farm for purples, and Halberd is an ok CP as long as we don't let him camp us too hard. But yea, he's pretty much good on the same stages as us and he already beats us so...player preference? Go where you're comforable (avoid FD at all costs).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This is the one character stopping Olimar from winning nationals.

I got this MU is a random battle MM and :urg:

Dnyce

Smash Master
I think frigate is out best bet for a CP, we get the pikmin we need and it give ROB one less ledge to camp on... but I dunno for sure.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah rob destroys us if he gets us in the air. Nair lasts forever and eats our aerials. Fair comes out fast and he can use it after he's baited a whilstle. And if there's a gyro on the ground, it limits areas we're able to land, so rob will have an easier time predicting where we're goign to go.

Also something that's interesting, is that if we use our double jump to get back to the stage and rob grabs us, he holds us over the ground, so we don't get our jump back. And rob's grab doesn't last long before he can throw, so oftentimes it'll mess up our DI and catch us off guard.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
@frigite comment from fino- it also has a slightly lower ceiling for them purp upsmash kills >.> (goo)

but he also gets both his ledges back on the second part ;-;

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
keep in mind olimar has also infinite difficulty in getting a kill on rob because he can beat and out space all of our kill moves

rob's bair is generally nonpunishable for oli if spaced right and used smartly

rob has a lot of quick moves to stop side b, including our purples...so, yeah, thats honestly a huge waste of time, only really needed to shuffle pikmin

both of our characters can do really good damage with one grab, but one grab from rob=death if rob plays smart and fair/ nairs/ regrabs/ dsmashes us out of the air

laser>all our moves, nuff said

gyro=huge roadblock forcing us to either shield it leaving us open to rob's safe fair/ biar approaching or we get hit and probably combo ed for high damage

his spotdodge->dsmash combo is hard to beat because he can mixup with grabs or no spotdodges making it a risky thing to punish and we lose at close range as a result

grab->fair WOP gimp=legit combo at 0%-14% d:

honestly, all olimar has in this MU is his pivot grab to punish mispaced moves and approaches, fsmash to space if rob doesn't space us with ftilt+dtilt, and upair to juggle rob somewhat decently if we get him in the air, i'd say we have a large disadvantage, even upsmash OOS doesn't work on ROB because he can throw out attacks to beat it

we have too many bad stages that we can't ban them all in this MU, he can run away virtually unharmed on the second part and do damage to use because laser goes through statues, while the first part makes it too easy for us to get comboed and gimped, third part=FD except we get pressured easier, tilting kills us, and slower pikmin pluck makes this even worse than FD (although not by much, rob can ledge camp on FD which is very hard to beat for olimar as well)

BF: omg, gimp central, he can close the gap too easily and grab us and do W/E the hell he wants once we are aerial

halberd: he can shark us through the stage, and kill us way to early with upsmash and very easily force us into the ship' stage hazards, IMO ban this

i would suggest CPing either RC because he can't setup his camp game on us and we can upair juggle him off the stage top very easily, if that is banned, brinstar because all the hit-able parts of the stage delay his attacks giving us openings along with making us hard to approach, and due the the stage layout, he has little to no camping game, also lave makes a lot of potential gimps or combos on us fail

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I think it's near even. Most R.O.B.s HATE this MU. It's one of my favorites<beep3

edit: and do you really think R.O.B. outcamps Olimar? It's so easy to avoid our slow projectiles...it's just difficult to imagine you having trouble with it. I understand having the gyro in the way is a problem, but still xD
I feel it's the other way around, camping-wise.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
I think it's near even. Most R.O.B.s HATE this MU. It's one of my favorites<beep3

edit: and do you really think R.O.B. outcamps Olimar? It's so easy to avoid our slow projectiles...it's just difficult to imagine you having trouble with it. I understand having the gyro in the way is a problem, but still xD
if we SH side B ur laser hits us. If we grounded side B then gyro stops us and u have plenty of moves to get pimin off u,so yea id say ROB outcamps us but not by much.
i still agree with it being in ROBs favor because he has such a good gimp game and its hard for us to space against him because of his tilts, and we have no consistant way of racking up damage on him except upair and rob shouldnt be in the air enough for that to happen to often :urg:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i know this matchup soooo well. seriously believe me. easily robs favor. im sure everyones seen what i did to brood right? robs tilts are amazing for destroying pikmin so he cant get grabbed or anything, and rob outcamps olimar

TheMike

Smash Lord
I've already played Kovarish sometimes and feel like can give my input. I guess it's even. Olimar has great tools to kill and to rack up damage quickly, especially because ROB is a big target. On the other hand, we can't kill well and Olimar is a small character. What helps us is our off stage and camp game, just like in almost all the other match ups.

ROB can be easily comboed and juggled due to his size, which builds up some important damage. What he needs to do is camp and use the gyro as a zoning tool. Approaches shouldn't be often done because pivot grab pretty much avoids all the atempts. Get Olimar in the air(above him) and use Nair/Uair. When close to him, ROB shouldn't be in the grab's range, just space himself with Ftilt and try to grab Olimar so that he can throw him off stage and try to gimp.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'll make a write up on this soon (Its appropriate to cause I have to make an Olimar write up for the ROB boards :])
You play both characters so you KNOW how bad this is for Olimar

You aren't doing it right. Talk to a better ROB and you'll see. Or look below
Pretty sure olimar outcamps us.

This mu makes me rage
Chibo, what do you have to say about these n00bs?
i know this matchup soooo well. seriously believe me. easily robs favor. im sure everyones seen what i did to brood right? robs tilts are amazing for destroying pikmin so he cant get grabbed or anything, and rob outcamps olimar
Thanks. If anyone knows it's Chibo - look at what he did to Brood :urg: You guys just aren't doing it right.
I've already played Kovarish sometimes and feel like can give my input. I guess it's even. Olimar has great tools to kill and to rack up damage quickly, especially because ROB is a big target. On the other hand, we can't kill well and Olimar is a small character. What helps us is our off stage and camp game, just like in almost all the other match ups.

ROB can be easily comboed and juggled due to his size, which builds up some important damage. What he needs to do is camp and use the gyro as a zoning tool. Approaches shouldn't be often done because pivot grab pretty much avoids all the atempts. Get Olimar in the air(above him) and use Nair/Uair. When close to him, ROB shouldn't be in the grab's range, just space himself with Ftilt and try to grab Olimar so that he can throw him off stage and try to gimp.
Then you must be a terrible ROB. If Chibo can beat Olimar 2-0 and you're calling it even, that clearly shows him to be superior. And pikmin don't stick to ROB long, he has too many moves to get them off. And you forget how if we try to juggle you but miss the tables get turned FAST

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
100-0 olimar, one up smash and rob is above us, rob can't hit us if we are under him and everyone knows our uair does 40% damage, and if our up air misses we can just up smash again. Stale up smash means no kill moves You say? He is going to be at 300% after 5 seconds above us anyway so even white up smash will kill.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
100-0 olimar, one up smash and rob is above us, rob can't hit us if we are under him and everyone knows our uair does 40% damage, and if our up air misses we can just up smash again. Stale up smash means no kill moves You say? He is going to be at 300% after 5 seconds above us anyway so even white up smash will kill.
You obviously trollin

backadabus

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
You obviously don't know me and all of the tournaments I've been to and my fabulous experience playing many rob mains.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
You obviously don't know me and all of the tournaments I've been to and my fabulous experience playing many rob mains.
I can only assume that all of the ROBs you played simply don't know the matchup. ROB hard counters Olimar - just look at what happened to Brood
But Chibo is superior, lol. However, this doesn't mean anything. Big Lou as Luigi beat mikeHAZE at MLG Orlando as Marth iirc, and Marth is a hard Luigi counter.
This may be, but the MU is still firmly in ROBs favor

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
Chibo
Fusion 1
4/19
Pools:
Beat Dealth (GaW) 2-0
Beat JMoney (Meta Knight) 2-0
Beat Inui (Ganondorf) 2-0
Bracket:
Beat Juice (?) 2-0
Lost Shadow 1-2
Beat Rich (?) 2-0
Beat Blue (Sonic) 2-0
Beat Xionix (Diddy) 2-0
Lost Shadow (Meta Knight) 0-2

more reason to believe that ROB has the advantage

TheMike

Smash Lord
I believe ROB is a great option to face Olimar, and that the matchup is in his favor by a slight advantage. However, I don't think he's a counter as some people have said.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
chibo 2-0d rich and brood >.>

the best olimars that we've seen >.>

if ROB knows the MU its SUPER hard for olimar to win

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Well after reading some of the earlier posts... I noticed that f tilt completely shuts down olimars approaches and knocks off latched pikmin.. None of which my opponent robs used.
Im starting to think that it may be around 70-30 olimar but that f tilt outranges everything we have.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Yeah, well.. I used to think we ***** in the MU... mainly cause I 3-stocked tommy in orlando and 3-stocked chibo in columbus. But Chibo asked for some help, so I started tellin him just about everything I knew about the match-up, and man that *** must've taken every word to heart. I've never seen more brutal **** in my life. Too bad every ROB got 4th in second round pools.

I'm happy that most of our terrible match-ups are unviable characters. lol

Also, I think The Mike is a bit bias cause Kovarish wins like every tournament down there. He's just a better player imo.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Also, I think The Mike is a bit bias cause Kovarish wins like every tournament down there. He's just a better player imo.
No, he doesn't. He still places high(top 3), but doesn't win a tournament for sometime. He's still pretty good though.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Vocal you're being pretty mean and ignorant. What good ROB's have you played?

Stop calling my friends noobs and thinking I'm a bad player.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Vocal you're being pretty mean and ignorant. What good ROB's have you played?

Stop calling my friends noobs and thinking I'm a bad player.
I'm sorry, I may have been getting a bit out of line :(

Still, while I can't say that I've played a recognizable ROB myself, but I'm sure Fino and Hilt have, just look at the things they have to say. I'm going partially off of personal experience and partially what I've seen happen to other people

Top Bottom