• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Book: Updated with Link(10/27) Back on track!

swordgard

Smash Hero
While most of the people are busy doing the general matchup thread, it came to me that the matchups were done so slowly that by the time we finish it will be mostly outdated. Also, i do not like the way the matchup thread is formatted for the most part, we need something which is visual and clearly written. Either way, whenever i go to a tourney, i plan on using this Ebook which i am writting and which i will post here(it will be on my ipod touch for quick reference). The goal is to attain as much information on a matchup in a 1 to 2 pages summary of the matchup, which will apply only to the highest level of play.

I started on updating this on my skydrive account, i will release individual matchup sheet and the full pdf at every update.

ETA: Bowser,falcon, diddy, DK,falco,fox, ganondorf, Ike, jiggs, dedede, kirby and link are done. Really gotta fix that appendix so i can add in the other ones. Will probably try to do the credits by next week.

http://cid-96912686e544d4ce.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

EDIT: This is not a matchup debate thread in any way. You can argue, but if i feel like your not bringing anything constructive then i will just ignore you. I am also waiting on ealerts walking cg to add to those.

Once i think of a better title il update it.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
this is perfect. everything you need stands right there. this is how matchup summeries should be.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Well, if you want, this can be the new matchup thread or whatever. I'm not really understanding what you mean with the whole "more visual" thing.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I can't look at it on Wii, I'll have to look at it next time I'm at computer cafe. Sounds promising!

Bunny, let's just use the existing matchup thread, it's doing great. :)

swordgard - I appreciate it, but don't hold anything up cause of me, k? :3 The walking cg list will be a little while still, what with meets/work/life taking my time. I wouldn't want to hold you up.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I love the format. It's spiffy :D
I want a copy of this, use your almighty powers and do all the matchups neow. :p
And by almighty powers i guess you mean loads of free times, open office and a pdf converter?

EDIT: Does anyone know how to make link from one part of a document to another in open office (link a table of content where il press on bowser and itl get me there).

Also, 2 more things. E-alert, when i said i was waiting on your data, i meant that il continue doing my stuff but add em as soon as yours is out. I will always use a retro-active update if something like this happens.

Finally, i set my update days on tuesday, friday and sunday , 3 per weeks ideally.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Just saying: This will be done in alphabetical order, and im gonna try go to do alot of them tommorow. Also, every matchup which is 60:40 for ics or worst may included a 2nd page with "extended" summary matchup.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Im having a huge trouble keeping the same terminology. Im going to have to find a single way to write things.

B-Air, Back Air, or Back-Air or Bair?

Also, for B moves. Down-B, Down B, D-B, DB??
'

Details, but nevertheless some which are annoying me lol XD

EDIT: Halfway through falcon, thinking of adding total frames for DThrow versus advantage of frames, which gives you both the timing for the dthrow, allows you to also tell how strict is the timing on solo cg. I will release each part into individual sheets and also the complete ebook, which will also include alot of important info such as full weight/drift/falling speeds, full frame datas and other. Credits will be given on second page of final ebook

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ok, so i found out my solo climber difficulty grading is problematic, im thinking of using a bell curve system and then distribute the number, since i could not find exact reference points.

Anyone can make a cover page for my book??? Would be kinda neat XD

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I vote for B-Air; U-Air; D-Air; F-Air;N-Air;Z-Air

Also I vote for Down B and etc.

My reasoning is the following. In the B-Air situation, B stands for an actual word. Technically speaking it isn't spelled "Back-Air" but B Air is inappropriate considering you don't use the B button. Basically, B-Air says it's an aerial move and gives the directions. Sticking Bair together means a back air, I understand that, but if were speaking details, Bair isn't very efficient grammar usage...

For Down B. You USE B, thus "hyphening" it isn't very logical. DB or D-B is kind of short. The human brain processes words better than individual letters. We could argue that we're using B, D, U and so on for the aerials and smashes and what not but the important words is = Air or Smash etc. But getting back to what I'm supposed to be arguing about at this point!; go for Down B. It's the direction that is important because B is a button and not an acronym.

I'm making things complicated for nothing...

tl;dr

Down B, Up B etc. for indicating the direction all while respecting grammar

F-Air, D-Smash, U-Tilt etc. for giving us what type of attack it is, all while shortening the direction (without the entire thing losing sense).

Voilà!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
WOW

swordgard this is some great stuff haha

tho i can usually beat boozer and falcon without even thinking

if i ever (ever) face good ones at least i will kno now how to win haha

swordgard

Smash Hero
Diddy will probably be uploaded late tonight. Can anyone here make icing effects with photoshop? Its for the cover >.<

I got a couple of theories i got to verify before posting the diddy matchup.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Like what kind of Icing effects? text or what?
Its basically the picture of an existing book cover, id just like to make it so it seems like it is freezing(like the outer ends features ice coming towards the middle but not quite covering the whole book). Ice climbers live in cold environments, the books bound to have some ice on it.

r3d d09

Smash Master
you could just use your avitar. ha. I will try and fit in some photoshop time, but i'm currently working on my photography as of now. blah. So if i do get my images done before tonight. i will start on it. but i'd have someone else do it just for the sake of time.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
UTilt
FSmash
DSpecial
NAir
FTaunt

Consistency, nothing to confuse, hyphens are silly, etc.

imo

swordgard

Smash Hero
Updated for diddy, was lacking ideas for last thing to look out for, so if i missed anything very important someone notify me.

Prawn

Smash Master
You missed the most important thing about the matchup with Diddy,

pick up both bananas and just use blizzard, ice blocks, and squalls. Diddy's cant do **** against it

swordgard

Smash Hero
You missed the most important thing about the matchup with Diddy,

pick up both bananas and just use blizzard, ice blocks, and squalls. Diddy's cant do **** against it
Let me explain why this was not put in.

A) Dont say its the most important thing in the matchup it isnt.
B) A good diddy will rarely if ever let you have both of his bananas. Trying to get a hold of 2 bananas will detract you from the matchup and get you comboed/backthrow to spiked. At best, it will happen once in a match.
C) Considering the limited space, i would rather give out advice which can be used often instead of being situational.
D) It isnt nearly as good as you make it out to be, since diddy can jump above and you have to throw a banana, which he can catch by airdodging. You cannot do any tilts, grabs, smash, aerials or whatsover. This means you get a very limited asset of options, which lead to either 2 things.
1- You try to blizz/ice block more, and you get punished for it easily, especially in shield with grab back throw and so on.
2- To protect yourself from punishment, you have to throw a banana at him, which he can get back very easily, at a much lower risk than you.

DK update tonight = D

Prawn

Smash Master
Let me explain why this was not put in.

A) Dont say its the most important thing in the matchup it isnt.
B) A good diddy will rarely if ever let you have both of his bananas. Trying to get a hold of 2 bananas will detract you from the matchup and get you comboed/backthrow to spiked. At best, it will happen once in a match.
C) Considering the limited space, i would rather give out advice which can be used often instead of being situational.
D) It isnt nearly as good as you make it out to be, since diddy can jump above and you have to throw a banana, which he can catch by airdodging. You cannot do any tilts, grabs, smash, aerials or whatsover. This means you get a very limited asset of options, which lead to either 2 things.
1- You try to blizz/ice block more, and you get punished for it easily, especially in shield with grab back throw and so on.
2- To protect yourself from punishment, you have to throw a banana at him, which he can get back very easily, at a much lower risk than you.

DK update tonight = D
While its not the most important part(as I was exaggerating), don't even tell me that it doesn't warrant being in the guide. In fact it's pretty easy to get both bananas from Diddy's considering he's ****ing throwing them at you. Don't look for the opportunity all game but SH->airdodge if they throw the naners at you and then blizzard camp.

If you have to throw the bananas then so be it, all that will happen is you're back to the status quo. I have done this on several diddy kongs, it's really not that hard to do.

Also, with both bananas you can throw-throw-tech chase-grab and because all the naners are in your control you can CG your little heart out.

If you really think this is that situational then I guess that's your opinion, I'm just telling you I think you're very wrong.

EDIT: Also, DK can grab->back throw very fast and desync the ICs, you might want to put that in the guide. It's possible to stop it if you have lightning fast reactions but yeah.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
You can still do smashes or whatever while holding an item by holding A and CSticking. Basically you only lose FTilt, NAir, Jab and Grab/ZAir.

Just sayin'.

Prawn

Smash Master
You can still do smashes or whatever while holding an item by holding A and CSticking. Basically you only lose FTilt, NAir, Jab and Grab/ZAir.

Just sayin'.
You can also do this by holding Z,

I've been working on incorporating it into the matchup, but its very hard to do without detracting from your other gameplay.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Just saying, most diddys wont let you get both bananas, you can believe whatever you want, wont happen versus good diddys. They dont always throw the banana at you fyi.

Brickwall near the ledge is what they are best at.

Prawn

Smash Master
Falco matchup was extremely well written,

I never even though about Pivot Grabbing after side-b....>_<

Something that was mentioned but I'd like to stress is ground releasing/air releasing Falco(and fox for that matter) off the edge when you're solo popo CGing, a well placed ice block or two will gimp their recovery.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Something that was mentioned but I'd like to stress is ground releasing/air releasing Falco(and fox for that matter) off the edge when you're solo popo CGing, a well placed ice block or two will gimp their recovery.
You'd think that air releasing would put him in a better spot for recovering, as he will not be far below the stage (if at all) and can save his second jump for when he feels safest to get back on. I'm not sure how much time Sopo has to get out a SH Ice Block after air releasing, however, so there may still be a decent shot at gimping him anyway.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I dont know how long i can keep up making 3 matchups a week considering each matchup is around 2 hours on average depending on how much i need to research on them. School is a *****, and i gotta update some of the old matchups with some of the new stuff i found.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I believe in you :D. you could just do all three in one day ;)
Im way more rigorous about being on schedule for this than i am for any type of homework XD. I should be able to keep it up at this rate, my goal is that at the end of the week, no matter what, all 3 are still done, but those are still the days i expect them to be done on.

Prawn

Smash Master
You'd think that air releasing would put him in a better spot for recovering, as he will not be far below the stage (if at all) and can save his second jump for when he feels safest to get back on. I'm not sure how much time Sopo has to get out a SH Ice Block after air releasing, however, so there may still be a decent shot at gimping him anyway.
If you grab falco or fox out of there second jump air releasing can be fantastic,

even if you don't you can go for a gimp by predicting their side b. Switch it up, if you gimp once with ground release do air release the next time for confusion

swordgard

Smash Hero
I am going to skip the ice climbers ditto match for now as i want to make it very good and i want to test alot of stuff in matches/training mode and research, so that will wait.

Top Bottom