• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #6: Mr. Game & Watch (Pre-progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Things will get done when I actually have access to my own computer again (blah blah broken blah blah already explained this to Zhamy), I guess for now I'll start up some more match-up exports so you guys at least have other characters to discuss for now.
Planned Updates:
Links to Matches
Link to Mr. Game & Watch Boards Fox Match-Up Discussion
Links to All Previous Mr. Game & Watch Discussion from the Fox Boards
Stage Banning
Stage Striking
Stage Counter-Picking
Possible Secondaries
Chaingrab Specifics
Dealing with Opponent Projects
Utilizing your Own Projectiles
Approach
Defense
Recovery
Edgeguarding
Killing & Surviving
Frame Data Comparisons
Advantages & Disadvantages
Key Points

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Bucket is GW enemy and friend in this matchup, bait bucket with lasers and when they pull it out approach and punish, if you fill up his bucket he wont be able to bucket break but this doesnt really matter since you will be killing him vertically, dair > jab is great for racking up damage and jab > grab will also open up your grab game ,do not stay stationary in this matchup,your rarely going to sheildgrab a GW who knows how to space so make sure your utilizing you speed to get out of there when GW gets too close for comfort

i dont use Fox for this matchup anymore,turtle eats at your sheild and we have no way to punish it, nair stops our aerial approach, and GWs dtilt/ fair are great at edgegaurding our recovery, just when we thought it was bad enough dthrow provides Gw will endless options, even if you avoid the dthrow>dsmash via teching, your still open to be tech chased, at close range fox gets destroyed,medium range hes still at a disadvantage, and long is your best bet to win this one

cyan reminded me to tell you that an experienced GW will use his up-b to his full advantage either out of shield to interrupt your aerials or to simply evade laser pressure, up-b oos stops dair in its tracks and is much safer to use then nair

1more thing to add, lots of GWs like to do dair after they get sent into the air because for some reason they feel safe, you can bair them just before they pull out the key or while they are travelling down, something like you utilt (they try and pull of the key to get out) and you bair ive also found can work because of how slow the key comes out, or on the safer side you could sidestep then grab or usmash, use usmash very aggresively if you have the % or stock advantage in this one btw

Ban: RC/Frigate
CP: Castle Seige or FD

Seconds: Snake or Marth

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Bucket is GW enemy and friend in this matchup, bait bucket with lasers and when they pull it out approach and punish, if you fill up his bucket he wont be able to bucket break but this doesnt really matter since you will be killing him vertically, dair > jab is great for racking up damage and jab > grab will also open up your grab game ,do not stay stationary in this matchup,your rarely going to sheildgrab a GW who knows how to space so make sure your utilizing you speed to get out of there when GW gets too close for comfort

i dont use Fox for this matchup anymore,turtle eats at your sheild and we have no way to punish it, nair stops our aerial approach, and GWs dtilt/ fair are great at edgegaurding our recovery, just when we thought it was bad enough dthrow provides Gw will endless options, even if you avoid the dthrow>dsmash via teching, your still open to be tech chased, at close range fox gets destroyed,medium range hes still at a disadvantage, and long is your best bet to win this one

cyan reminded me to tell you that an experienced GW will use his up-b to his full advantage either out of shield to interrupt your aerials or to simply evade laser pressure, up-b oos stops dair in its tracks and is much safer to use then nair

Ban: RC/Frigate
CP: Castle Seige or FD

Seconds: Snake or Marth
Yea ima get started on this as well but the feeling for really putting my brain onto GW may take a day or two

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
one thing that might be usefull for this match up is if you do get GAW to bucket break off the stage, is to take advantage of the lag he has after he receives a projectile in it.

like maybe you smash him off the stage and he bucket breaks but fight before he does you shoot out some lasers that he unwillingly catches and due to the lag drop much further than he wants.
I've heard of people getting kills like this on GaW with pit, but idk if fox can some how pull it off.

(one again advice of a noob so take what you want from it)

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Time to get started

Green = Great CP
Yellow = Fairly Good CP
Red = Bad/Wrong CP

Stage Striking: Smashville, Lylat

Stage Banning: Rainbow, Battlefield

Stage CP'ing: Final. D, Yoshi's, PS1

Frame Data:

Mr. Game & Watch AKA Mr. Spam & Watch-you-die

These are the moves I feel we need to know by frame data, so we know what to stay away from and what we can challenge

Nair Frame 7
Fair Frame 10
Dair Frame 12
Uair Frame 6
Bair (1st hit)Frame 10 (2nd hit)Frame 13 (3rd hit)Frame 16 (4th hit)Frame 19 (5th hit)Frame 22

Fsmash Frame 17
Dsmash Frame 15
Usmash Frame 24

Dtilt Frame 6

Up-B Jumps on Frame 9 (Invincibility frames 9-13)
For.B Frame 16 (All hammers)
Down B Frame "Collecting" 6
Close Range Bucket Frame 2
Mid Range Bucket Frame 8
Tipper Range Bucket Frame 14

Aerial Game
Ground Game
Approach
Defense
Surviving
Killing
Edge Game

VIDEO:
718R00kie(Fox) vs Dire(G&W)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyD2QdjGRqc

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
From my experience, I think this matchup is slightly in fox's favor. I generally beat G&W's including going 4-0 against NoJ's G&W tonight.

I just do sh single lasers over and over, wait for him to do something, and then react.

You should keep the lasers coming but only laser right before you get to the ground. That way you can stay mobile and hopping around, you get some damage in, and he can't punish your laser by jumping in with something because you'll see it coming before you shoot the laser.

From a neutral standpoint, if you're jumping around shooting lasers, his main options are jump with a bair, nair, walk or run up and shield, or walk and do a tilt.

With single lasers, if you see him try to bair or nair, you should just not laser, and instead jump and punish with a dair. Careful not to land on the nair or you'll get hit. Pay close attention to your fall speed and make sure to change things up accordingly to get in there when he has lag.

Watch his patterns as far as approaching on the ground. Single laser and then grab or upsmash is good. Grabbing's really good. But don't be too hasty on your approaches if you can't see his pattern. You can always just jump over him and get away shooting more lasers. And approaching when he does this is kind of a rock paper scissors thing, whereas punishing their attacks is not, so doing has a slight more risk of getting hit.

When G&W is in the air, try to keep them there. Keep somewhat close to them and try to punish whatever they do. If they key after getting hit, you can jump then wait a sec, then double jump to fair. If they key into the ground, just watch for it and grab them on landing, dair, or upsmash them. If they turtle or nair, jump over it and dair them. If they airdodge, just get to the ground before them and punish it with a grab, dair, or upsmash.

Don't dair them when they can just shield it. (meaning use it only to punish attacks or airdodges or spotdodges or rolls or other punishable stuff.)

Also, G&W dtilt is a *****. Powershield that **** and make him stop doing it.

edit: And don't get hit by an utilt at low percent cause he'll combo you to over 70%. It's stupid.

crifer

Smash Lord
lol bowyer is amazing.
I mean, I would have said it´s like 55-45 or 60-40 in GaW´s favor O.o
but going 4:0 against NoJ ^^
also laser?? whats with the bucket, if its full, your pretty much dead,
and he does not have to approach, what do you do about that?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
its just fox's lasers, even with a full bucket of them it doesnt do a redicules amount of damage, like a decently strong smash attack, instead opf the 1 hit kill some characters give him.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
On top of a weak bucket, I only shoot one laser at a time and whenever he buckets, it's a free hit for me, so he has to give up 3 hits to get a full bucket (and by hit, I mean I'm gonna hit him and combo him from it).

If he doesn't approach me, I'm gonna put a lot of pressure on him by being somewhat close, pelting him with lasers. When he throws out an attack, either trying to be offensive or doing an attack defensively cause he's scared I'll attack, then I'll punish it. And if he tries to get around me to run away, then I'll hit him cause he's not going to be able to very easily.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Most G&Ws I've played do so very campy and spacey, I tend to guard their attacks and out range them in jumps, so Fox can dive in from below. Neutral Air helps nice here and G&W has horrible vertical knockback resistance, most of the time, even in high ceilings, he won't get the chance to bucket brake, so as predictable as it may seem, up smash can do best for kills here, but mixing it up is apart of the learning curve.

If the G&W player is dumb enough to bucket your lasers, then just keep pelting him, play defensive, the worst thing a G&W can do is approach head on, they tend to focus of pressure more than just straight up approaches.

Seeing how Fox will more than likely be on the defensive, he has a small advantage, but his options are not as vast as one would like, so I say it's more in G&W's favor. But entirely doable and is not necessarily a "bad" match up.

Bowyer dammit! I need to come visit you sometime, Detroit sucks!

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
SamuraiPanda hosts smashfests decently often, so if you want to come up to Ann Arbor and play with us sometime, let me know.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Fox can Usmash all day against GW... it trades with every aerial approach here. Lasers are usable, since a bucket of lasers isn't a huge threat anyway, and bucketing is risky against Fox...

I don't mind the match at all.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
So I shouldn't fear filling up Game and Watch's bucket? I was scared to death to use lasers against OmegaBlackMage's Game and Watch at BTYF.
In fact, fill up his bucket with so many lasers and then DOUBLE the laser output and he might try to "absorb" one by mistake. Just don't do it too close.

Sukai

Smash Champion
You should want to fill it up, a full bucket can't brake, and since Fox should be defensive here, worrying about a spontaneous bucket spill isn't a big factor, also because Fox has like the weakest energy-esque projectile, at the percentage it takes to kill you with it, the G&W would already have more reliable options to use.
Trust me, a skilled G&W will most likely just end up taking the lasers, bucket braking is too big a staple to botch it with a full bucket.
Just don't get grabbed, down throw to bucket is a combo.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
it doesn't matter if you fill up G&W's bucket with fox's lasers. It'll take 30%, but it hardly has any knock back

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
For anyone saw me to NoJ in tourney, he just outplayed me and I still think this matchup is slightly in fox's favor.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
wait... so GaWs bucket power depends on the strength of the projectile absorbed? if so i won't fear using lasers against GaW anymore...

and IMO i think Fox has the advantage here... he can build damage at a distance with lasers, punish bucket use, his usmash can kill GaW around 85...

there are a lot more factors i would include im just to lazy to type:urg:

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
wait... so GaWs bucket power depends on the strength of the projectile absorbed? if so i won't fear using lasers against GaW anymore...

and IMO i think Fox has the advantage here... he can build damage at a distance with lasers, punish bucket use, his usmash can kill GaW around 85...

there are a lot more factors i would include im just to lazy to type:urg:
also if you shoot his bucket from far away the lasers will be even weaker making his bucket super weak and bucket braking impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom