• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up Export #12: King Dedede | Complete!!

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. King Dedede

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:dedede: King Dedede :dedede:

KEY POINTS

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary

I don't believe any knowledgeable Fox/DDD player believes this is a counter in any direction. 6/4 Fox's adv at best, although I would personally put it down at 50/50. 55/45 Fox's adv if you really want to sway that way, although imo it's not that big of a difference.

This MU is simple to play, no projectiles to dance around, no guaranteed CG to worry about, no combos to avoid, etc... not saying you should go into this expecting to win, because you shouldn't, just play patiently and look for openings and you'll be playing the MU correctly. It may sound oversimplified, but remember, you get outspaced, and when you get hit you, get hit hard.
IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game: DDD outspaces you on a head on attack in the air but you still excel in this area do to he can't do much when he is above you and fatness makes our combos even better.
Ground Game: If you overdo this DDD will be LOL and grab you through the TV. He also outspaces you but you outspeed him just don't do this.
Approach: Read the 1st sentence in Ground game.
Defense: Camp and punish he laggy moves to switch to offense and combo/string the Fatty
Camping Game: SHTL AND MORE SHTL it will force him to approach Waddle Dee, Do, or Don't it will force his approach, just do it.
Edge Game: Don't try this, you won't gain or lose anything just punish his Up B if you can force it.
Surviving: Dodging DDD moves should not be hard but when you are hit, you WILL fly, so don't expect to live past 120%
Killing: No early kills here just keep tacking on damage which isn't hard at all in this MU then around 130% go for the kill.
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Lylat Cruise,Castle Siege
* Possible King Dedede Strikes
Final Destination, Battlefield, Halberd, Pokémon Stadium 1

Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible.
Neither player should depend on these
[/code]

Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
Jungle Japes
* Possible King Dedede Bans

Final Destination
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon,  Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
Final Destination
* Possible King Dedede Counterpicks
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Possible Secondaries

None

Videos & Other Outside Resources

VERDICT :fox: 55:45 :dedede:

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION GO!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Might as well fix it since he's offline.

crifer

Smash Lord
First, sorry about my bad english.
I´m maining DK and Fox is my 2nd,
so everytime I face a D3 I pick Fox.

First, we outcamp D3
Lasers are fast, safe and forces an approach. Personally I prefer single lasers in order to force an approach. Double or triple lasers should be used to refresh your moves.
We can easily get 30+ damage on D3, even if he uses good DI with utilt, dair and grab variations. Since D3 is a big target, you can land a AC fair you do easily 25+ damage, which is for one move awesome.
So we have a projectile, good damage building and of course our finisher usmash, dsmash and bair.
If you get him in the air watch out for jump habits (how often does he jump?) in order to get a fair in, but beware that his dair can be a probleme here.

Problem is: D3 outranges us. ftilt, fair bair are the ones that comes into my mind. Fox should always approach with dash shield on the ground and sh, fh and dj shine variations to air dodge in the air (you should watch out for his good uair). D3 can dthrow to "techchase" us pretty good, so you should watch out to not show any bad habits that could lead to a fsmash of D3. Offstage D3 can gimp Fox, but somehow you probably can avoid it with early illusions, shines and stuff.

Personally I prefer FD as stage, but any neutral should do it. Ban RC (?).

50:50, because D3 outranges us in like everything.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Yes I believe putting D3 above is great adv. position for us. He outranges us true but I feel it's too easy to get in face. I say 6/4 Fox (I'm forreal) also the MU number should kick the D3's into action.

Coney

Smash Master
against DDD, grab a lot; we'll be expecting to shieldgrab a lot of what you dish out. our bair beats a lot, stay grounded.

don't get uaired.

save your usmash...i'll assume yall do this anyway but you'll need it as your main reliable killer. if you hit a bair it might kill, we die kinda early off the sides.

watch yourself when it comes to camping, don't get pressured to the edge of the stage. if you do, your options become limited and punishable.

you'll be able to camp most DDDs but if you face an aggressive fatboy, be prepared to switch up your entire game.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
@Coney:

1) Basic stuff, but true.

2) Why? Don't you mean don't get grabbed?

3) Fox can't kill without Usmash anways.

4) Only half true. SHTL to Dair is annoying as **** if you are expecting a side-b.

5) See above. Side-b makes it a *****.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
@Coney:

4) Only half true. SHTL to Dair is annoying as **** if you are expecting a side-b.

OK RAGE TIME!

HOW TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU PEOPLE FOX CAN KILL WITH MOVES THAT ARE NOT USMASH! ILL JUSH AKLEDKSHEDEOW TO SKLDLSIDHFIEPW YOU! DSMASH AND BAIR CAN KILL PEOPLE!!! SO STOP SAYING INCORRECT STUFF YOU WARRBLE GARRBLE FLARRBLE!

/rage.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Just a heads up, DDD has weird SDI properties off of Dair where if you do it correctly, it becomes much harder to land Dair combos. How exactly should DDD SDI? If I knew, I wouldn't tell you.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Lol, don't upset Mr. Blackanese.

Upsmash kills at 120%, definitely our best option. However, we may be forced to stall out the kill for a while, and Dsmash doesn't kill DDD for that while anyways.

I noticed that while playing Irow (DDD main on WC), he was able to fully shield my AC Fair, but dropped his shield on the last hit of regular SH Fair. I'm not sure if this was because he wasn't expecting the last hit, or because it acts the same as Peach's Dair on Fox's shield... Anyone know?
Just a heads up, DDD has weird SDI properties off of Dair where if you do it correctly, it becomes much harder to land Dair combos. How exactly should DDD SDI? If I knew, I wouldn't tell you.
You can tell me. Right after you make me that video.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Any Dedede who knows anything about this matchup is going to ban FD.

just fyi.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Present.

I just camp bair and leave a waddle out if you try to laser camp me. Even if you get hit decay back from it at least you aren't damaging me too.

I suggest grabbing more frequently since we will be shielding more than usual.

You can't combo off of dair if they smash DI correctly every time.

Utilt is ok at low percents.

Keep us off stage, punish our recovery.

Virgman

Smash Apprentice
Fox can bait bair-campy D3s. Make them bair and then fair them for it. In my experiences with D3s, Fox is almost forced to bait D3s aerials. Simply because DDD has too much priority (disjointed hitboxes and such). Turns out that baiting the aerials is easy. Fair can shieldpoke DDDs shield majority of the time (no matter how big it is), so unless the D3 wants to get fair'd, he'll either roll or try to outprioritize you with an aerial. Try to make them do what you want them to do.
Oh. Waddle Dees are decent at blocking grounded lasers, but like Code Lyon said, there are lasers that go over their heads. And DDD is waaay to big to be ducking them jams.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
foxs dthrow is really easy to tech chase d3 with a low %s...not worried about Bairs either,we can maneuver around that,we outclass you in everything except attack range and priority,lasers make this easier...once we get inside your defense we have enough options to rack lots of damage,its an easy matchup for fox, 55;45 in his favor id say just because d3s range is a pain to deal with

lol this was already posted pages back,my input sucks D:

dont get overaggressive vs d3 cause hes a tubby,he can rack damage off grabs all that jazz...just **** him when the situation is right,and if he doesnt present any opening camp him and space Bairs/Fairs until he has one,its simple!

oh and i better see some **** sh uair ****!

Zhamy

Smash Champion
You guys make Fox sound invincible, lol.
Nah, it's just that we already all have a pretty good idea of how good/bad the matchup is, and we're just sharing tips, at this point.

(PS Flamedash is invincible for 9372 frames)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Yeah, weird how that works. Every character has it's share of fan boys who cast a veil of invulnerablility over their character of choice lol

Not dissing you fox guys, you really do make him sound awesome lol

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Dude, G-crew coming through... there's only two! Can't stop, won't stop, all day, every day.

Don't try and argue with the Fogo magic.

And no, by definition invulnerability implies that we are unbeatable a.k.a not a MU where we agree to a ratio nearing even.

What I think Toronto Joe is saying by easy, is that to play the MU correctly requires very little thinking. The Falco MU is around the same number for us, but I have to put a lot more effort into it imo.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Daaaaang you know about G-Krew, the most heavily stacked underground smash syndicate to date, smart man.

To Fogo magic, invulnerablility just means it's gonna take a bit longer :p

Lightning93

Smash Champion
^ XD I'll take your word for it. I saw you get that IRL lock on Dojo with your teammates abusing the hurtboxes on his legs. Looked painful... thanks, but I'm fine with that not happening to me.

Anyways yeah, maybe we can talk a bit about stages.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I've played this match-up a few times. SHDL and Foxcopters are ****. Bait airdodges, D3's is gerbage. You can keep him in the air easily. Also Uthrow is good for getting said ADs. Fox's approaches are already shieldgrab fodder and D3 can not only grab you faster than a Shaolin monk grabbing a fly, but he can grab you from another T.V. So spacing your aerials won't work very well either. If he can grab a perfectly spaced bair from Sonic, he's wrecking Fox's perfectly spaced aerials save for an AC'd Foxcopter. Just be campy and look for punishable **** that doesn't get you sat on. 55:45 Foxxxy Love.

Neutral: Smashville
Platform makes camping a breeze.
Shorter blastzones makes Bair and Dsmash kills easier

Battlefield
Platforms makes it easier to catch D3 in dumb aerial combos
Other than that not too much else

CP:Norfair (If legal)
D3 is slow as balls in the air and Norfy is platforms, platforms and more platforms. You do the math

Brinstar
Rather unorthodox but I can see it working.
Lasering pillars refreshes moves, so basically 25% every fair.
Destroying the bridge means hella good camping
Double edged sword but low ceiling, makes Usmash scarier.

Coney

Smash Master
i only came back because i was invited! it wasn't a namesearch!

also i don't know nearly as much about this MU as some others may, rookie was the first fox i ever played in tourney @_@

@Coney:

2) that's obvious; you could write that about every DDD MU. everyone should be avoiding our throws. uair puts fox up and puts him in a bad situation, to stay in the air above us, somewhere he definitely doesn't want to be...unless he's dair'ing, of course.

3) he can, though.

4) sure, but limiting him to only a handful of options is always beneficial. fox with his back to the ledge is in quite the precarious position. he's not good enough off-stage against us to venture past the ledge, so he's gotta stay grounded...and we're blocking it off from him. i'm just saying, cornering fox is a good idea in this MU.

5) fox' side-b only goes so far. it's an obnoxious move, to be sure, but if you just prepare for it and make good reads, he can get punished heavily.

anyway, stages

any DDD that knows the MU will probably ban final destination. if they don't, take them there. if they do...uh, i dunno...i personally banned BF when i didn't know the MU, simply because fox seems really dangerous when platforms are involved, especially with how fat we are. yeesh.

halberd is great for us, but it's probably great for you too. i wouldn't worry about banning it. i hear fox players saying delfino is bad; i don't see it but, maybe i'm wrong.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
What's your MU ratio coney? Yes invitations rock.

EDIT: Would it also be bad for DDD to be above Fox? Also only gimping tools I can think of against DDD is IA Nairs or Drillshines.

Coney

Smash Master
feels even to me, honestly. 50-50, maybe 55-45 for us just because we live so long. i've only played one three-game set against a competent fox though, so forgive me if i'm uninformed.

everybody at VC7 was telling me fox beats DDD badly though, TOTALLY don't think that's true

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's like 7/3 bad I think it's 6/4.

But i disregard the long living because we could combo you till a DDD death precent fast.

Top Bottom