• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Export #10: Ike | Complete!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Match-Up Export
Fox vs. Ike

Things to keep in mind while discussing!

Code:
* Keep a proper wording, 
don't insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. 
Although that shouldn't even be mentioned, I've seen it happen.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective. 
However, please don't overrate or underestimate a character. 
Stuff like "lol, X can't do anything, RAEP!" is not going to aid us in our discussion.

* Don't theorycraft too much. 
Keep in mind that while Fox or the character we're discussing in this thread
are able to do a certain move at a certain time, don't just throw this out, 
but rather think if this is actually practical and used by good players of these characters.

* If you are new to the discussion, please don't state trivial things.
Best would be to read the discussion properly, 
or at least the first and last few pages should the thread go on for a while already. 
Saying "Fox can reflect all of X's projectiles." might be true, 
but probably has already been mentioned.

* Discussions will be held for about 2 weeks - unless the need of expanding is felt.
The first week will bring a temporary ratio that then will corrected during the second.
With this in mind, we shall start the discussion!

:ike: Ike :ike:

KEY POINTS

Advantages
Outcamping
Speed
Juggling
Gimping

Disadvantages
Range

Summary
This is an easy MU. You can take advantage of everything Ike does. You can even approach him safely that's how easy this is. Lasers force his approach though. Only thing to watch out is early death if you can't play right. We can beat his jab combo since our jab is faster.

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game: Same concept as the ground game but you get to take adv. of him more here.
Ground Game: He might have the range but you can easily get inside due to his laggy start-up and ending frames on his attacks
Approach: Abuse his missed jabs and come in and attack.
Defense: Laser him and force him to use one of his laggy moves and profit from here
Camping Game: You can safely laser him without much of a threat
Edge Game: USMASH HIM OUT OF UP B! You can also gimp him with Nair, Dair, or Dsmash.
Surviving: Shouldn't be hard to avoid his moves but if something lands it's done so don't expect to live over 120% much.
Killing: You can kill as early as he does.
Frame Data:

Stages
Stage Striking
* Possible Fox Strikes
* Possible Ike Strikes
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Castle Siege, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly a starter, but possible. 
Neither player should depend on these[/COLOR]
Stage Banning
* Possible Fox Bans
* Possible Ike Bans
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Stage Counterpicks
* Possible Fox Counterpicks
* Possible Ike Counterpicks
* To Be Classified:
Code:
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Brinstar, 
Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Pirate Ship, Pokémon Stadium 2, 
Rainbow Cruise, [COLOR="Yellow"]Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Green Greens, Port Town Aero Dive, 
Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow indicates a stage that is not commonly legal, but possible. 
Possible Secondaries

Videos & Other Outside Resources

VERDICT :fox: 60:40 :ike:

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION GO!

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Fox wins, 6:4 maybe 65:35 on FD.

Long and short of it is your character is faster, kills just as quickly as we do, has a better recovery, can camp, and ha sa faster jab. Oh and you can up smash us out of aether with the right timing.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Fox wins, 6:4 maybe 65:35 on FD.

Long and short of it is your character is faster, kills just as quickly as we do, has a better recovery, can camp, and ha sa faster jab. Oh and you can up smash us out of aether with the right timing.
Mind going into detail please? (These things are running more smoothly than what I thought they would) :)

Thanks for your input.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I don't know much about fox matchup really. I know Ike has like a 3 frame advantage on foxes Dair and can jab before fox can get out a Utilt or whatever. That is if Ike shields only. Fox I think is a matchup a little overestimated since foxes speed is a mindgame in its own. Haha, but i would agree with Ryko on 6-4 or 65-35 on FD. Fox can basically Laser camp, and he has the speed to run away to the other side of the stage to resume the lasers. I haven't played many foxes but I plan to play Zeton next time he is in town =D lol. That is pretty much all i have to say about the matchup.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Of course Fox has the advantage on FD. That's why we strike it. >_> Mostly likely ban it as well.

Don't have much of an opinion/ratio yet, I have to dig around the Fox boards a bit for some info...

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Halberd isn't too terrible, getting up smashed is getting up smashed all the same and we have just as viable upward kill options.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Well I can see where you are coming from on the moving part but what the landing part?

It's like FD with a helpful plat. for us so can use AC'd moves. That part is overall Fox heaven.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Defiantly not 65-35 overall. Fox ain't harder for Ike then ZSS, Lucario, or Snake. Maybe at FD it's that bad. But that's only one stage, which will be strike'd and ban'd.

It's around the 55-45 range, I'm deciding exactly where around there I want to argue, still poking around to see the various things Fox can do. It's been a while since I checked up on Fox's metagame. I think the last time I looked was around the time some people here though Fox vs MK was 5-5...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No, it's not silly.

Currently the Ike board has it at 5-5.

The previous Fox board number was 6-4.

I have yet to see a reason for it to be suddenly easier for Fox. If anything, it's slightly harder for Fox as we now know that Ike has a true combo of Bthrow -> Dash attack. 55-45 would be between the two current ratios, and honestly sounds right to me. I'll try to go more into it detail tomorrow.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Currently the Ike board has it at 5-5.

The previous Fox board number was 6-4.
You say this like character boards in general have any credibility. I'll take Ryko's opinion over the "board's" any day. He has one of the best Ikes and plays with one of the best Foxes constantly.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
1) Yes, and Ryko just said it's 65-35 only on FD, 6-4 elsewhere, which is different from Uzi's "65-35 at least, any stage". I'll try to throw another bone as to why 65-35 doesn't work here...that's most likely what the Falco MU number will be once we rediscuss it. Same with Olimar, seeing as both boards have admitted in one way or another it's not quite as easy for them as they first though. Do you think Fox gives Ike as hard of a time as a dude who can use his lasers to interrupt our attacks and recovery and CG for an easy lead on each stock? Or a dude who can shield grab us out of a lot of attacks?

2) It's a failure in logic to listen to one person's opinion of a MU to declare it to be the end all answer. I don't care who the dude is: chances are the board as a whole is going to be more accurate, specially if said dude actually goes to that board and this his experiences are taken into account with others. More experiences from different places equals less variables left unchecked. I've only seen a small handful of boards that make me think otherwise, and most of those cases are because they base their numbers on one, rather illogical, person's opinion.

3) If you don't think board MUs are creditable...why are you participating in one? >_>

For those wondering: no, not quite done digging around before I give a full argument.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yes, and Ryko just said it's 65-35 only on FD, 6-4 elsewhere, which is different from Uzi's "65-35 at least, any stage". I'll try to throw another bone as to why 65-35 doesn't work here...that's most likely what the Falco MU number will be once we rediscuss it. Same with Olimar, seeing as both boards have admitted in one way or another it's not quite as easy for them as they first though. Do you think Fox gives Ike as hard of a time as a dude who can use his lasers to interrupt our attacks and recovery and CG for an easy lead on each stock? Or a dude who can shield grab us out of a lot of attacks?
Falco's lasers, while very useful, suddenly get shut down a lot the second platforms come into question. Fox is faster than falco, kills faster, has better aerial chasing options, gimps ike easier since it's just a waiting game on fox's part and there's less inherent risk involved than falco going out there to try to gimp you. Falco CANT spike ike at any % he cant recover back on the stage. Fox's jab is just as fast and his recovery is better. In all reality the matchup ratio of ike between the 2 is not all that different IF different at all.

M@v

Subarashii!
I probably have the most experience in this matchup. 6:4 for fox, 65:35 on stages like FD and halberd. Battlefield can be tricky at times though. It lets ike fully take advantage of his fair and drop-off bair.

Its classic speed vs power....except you can also camp him, which forces him to use his weakness: mobility

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I'll try to throw another bone as to why 65-35 doesn't work here...that's most likely what the Falco MU number will be once we rediscuss it
lol guys flaco is just liek fawks right

What Ryko said was probably more helpful, but you're completely misguided if you're thinking of Fox as a different version of Falco.

And M@v you play Falco, no one cares what you think, and Rookie has more experience than you. :(

M@v

Subarashii!
lol guys flaco is just liek fawks right

What Ryko said was probably more helpful, but you're completely misguided if you're thinking of Fox as a different version of Falco.

And M@v you play Falco, no one cares what you think, and Rookie has more experience than you. :(
He doesn't vs ike.

Also, the Falco vs ike matchup ratio is simply LOL. If you lose as falco you are seriously doing something wrong. Unless he takes to like brinstar or something...

And Iblis, I would still mop the floor with you with fox, unless you went through an epiphany with Fox.

M@v

Subarashii!
He plays Ryko. What Ikes do you play against? (Not sarcastic, just curious.)
Colaya, berserker swordsman, the first being a former ike main now secondary, and the other being an ike main. I've played a few ikes in tourney as well. I've also played a ton on wifi(lol more like wifail). I know the matchup with all my characters btw.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Umm that's not knowing the matchup very well m@v.

I trust a lot of what Ryko says cause he plays Rookie. I haven't had the chance to play against him, too. I think we have a bit of a disadvantage overall vs fox. As far as I know, there are some stages fox should not do very well, also against Ike, such as brinstar.

Ike's jab, nair wall, attacks after bthrow, etc I think helps us just enough where it can be a very winnable matchup for us.

If you really want a number,
I would say 40:60, but if I look at some of Ike's other 40:60 matchups, I can't see it as being that severe, so in comparison to that I guess I would put 45:55. Daaaang, it would've been a lot easier to express my thoughts if I played Rookie.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much think it's 6/4.

I mean I think it's too easy for Fox to weave and out Ike's zones. Also I the air I believe belongs to Fox because if we were to Uthrow/Utilt/whatever to get you to pop up you would be in a bad position with Fox under you and I can't see the same vise versa due to we can stall in mid-air to make it bad down safely.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Of all the Fox players I have come across, I've noticed that Fox is very limited on two things. His approach methods, and his kill moves. When Ike is at high damage, we have to watch out for the Up-Smash. When we are low percentages, we have to watch for the D-air to up-tilt maneuver.

Personally, I have found my best success by playing the baiting game. Often times, Fox players think they can rush into Ike the moment he finishes a move due to his laggy recovery. However, it seems like you can turn it into a game of chess by baiting Fox with N-air, which has very little landing lag and can go immediately into jab or shield. I believe this is Ike's only viable option, making his approaches somewhat limited as well. Fox I feel can be more creative on his approaches, and to add salt to the wound, he can get us off stage with Shine or hit us with up-smash out of aether.

Ike can do some damage to Fox offstage as well...it's not hard to D-air his firefox, so we're always playing for the illusion technique. It's just a matter of mind games and tricks to see if we should grab the ledge or go for the up-smash. Personally, I find my best success by grabbing the edge, and doing a release up-air, and aethering back to the edge.

6-4, Fox's advantage. Ike needs to be more careful and needs to read more in comparison to Fox.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Dsmash is one of Ike's worst nightmares. (Depending where on stage he gets hit with it of course.) Bair is also a reliable kill move, as it autocancels. Bair, Dair, and even Nair can be used to gimp Ike. (Unless he's recovering vertically.)

We don't always have to Illusion or Firefox, Ike doesn't have many moves that send us downward, so below killing percents I believe rising Fair will do us fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom