• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marx Rolls In! - "Now I can cause all the mischief I want!" - Dream Friend DLC Has Launched!

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Where are his mouth lazers

Eh, it's probably in a fire thingy, who knows? Or thunder

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I bet you it'll be something like "friend laser" in that he can only do it with other helpers around.
That would be interesting if they did that! I'm pretty sure we haven't seen everything he can do (We haven't seen Ice or Fire) so I kinda look forward to what he can do

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll support Marx. Only characters this time around I'm going to support are Marx, Blastoise, and Geno.

I don't know how serious I can support though. I put too much effort toward support in Brawl to have none of the characters I want get in except Dedede, and he was revealed before I had time to support him.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I'll support Marx. Only characters this time around I'm going to support are Marx, Blastoise, and Geno.

I don't know how serious I can support though. I put too much effort toward support in Brawl to have none of the characters I want get in except Dedede, and he was revealed before I had time to support him.
I'm not sure about Blastoise (even though he would be really cool), but I'd say Marx and Geno have substantial chances at getting in this time around. ESPECIALLY Geno, oddly enough, as Sakurai has wanted to add him to a game twice now, and seemingly was more serious about it this time around as he added him as a mii costume, along with characters like K. Rool and Inkling girl (who coincidentally got in already).

My two cents is that any first party character (+Geno) who got a mii costume in 4 is practically garunteed to be playable in Smash 5.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Really like how his model turned out. It's nice to finally see him in 3D and playable. I am definitely all for Marx as a proper Kirby villain character.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
a sort of message forwarded from the user Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen in that they said to add their name to the supporters' list. we spoke about it over PMs.

Also, congrats on making it to page 3! lol, I kind of forgot to say that earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Not gonna lie, I don't see Marx happening yet as the DLC sounds a bit too late to add during development. Maybe as DLC though and hopefully alongside Bandana Dee
Oh, so that is why everybody is randomly talking about him. I remember back in the Smash 4 era he would occasionally come up, for whatever reason, and thought that this was a retreading of the past.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Oh, so that is why everybody is randomly talking about him. I remember back in the Smash 4 era he would occasionally come up, for whatever reason, and thought that this was a retreading of the past.
Did he ever really get brought up? I've looked back on Smash 4-era speculation threads, and while Marx DID have a thread, it was very small. On Miiverse (rip) I was the only supporter of him, if I can remember right. I would say he's gotten much more popular this time around, probably the second most supported Kirby character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Did he ever really get brought up? I've looked back on Smash 4-era speculation threads, and while Marx DID have a thread, it was very small. On Miiverse (rip) I was the only supporter of him, if I can remember right. I would say he's gotten much more popular this time around, probably the second most supported Kirby character.
If you would bring up Bandana Dee, a lot of people would just randomly throw out their Kirby character preference and I saw his name come up occasionally. It was definitely rare; however, that was why I was confused about the entire fan-base seemingly focusing on Marx out of nowhere. Because people largely ignored him and out of nowhere people are acting like he is likely for Smash because he is, what, one of 4 or 5 of those "dream friends." Definitely threw me for a loop.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
If you would bring up Bandana Dee, a lot of people would just randomly throw out their Kirby character preference and I saw his name come up occasionally. It was definitely rare; however, that was why I was confused about the entire fan-base seemingly focusing on Marx out of nowhere. Because people largely ignored him and out of nowhere people are acting like he is likely for Smash because he is, what, one of 4 or 5 of those "dream friends." Definitely threw me for a loop.
I think it mostly has to do with Marx's fan-base being really big, if not THE biggest, back in the day, specifically around Kirby Superstar Ultra and a few years after that. Once he was just kind of given cameos in games and no real inclusion in the story, people just assumed that he really was killed for good this time and the fan-base sort of went into hibernation (for lack of a better phrase), and is just now starting to reawaken now that he's back as a playable character of all things, however this also means a lot in terms of lore and future inclusions in Kirby games, as everyone though this dude was double dead until now. Even the Japanese character description of his hints that he might be scheming his next move against Kirby and what not.

In short, him returning as a dream friend means a bit more than "oh look he's back for a game" so I guess his huge yet dormant fan-base is starting to freak out again.

Last edited:

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Well, as the OP says, there's a bit more to it than "oh, he's one of 3 DLC Friends." Marx is the first proper villain since Dedede and Meta Knight to become playable in a Kirby game. The JP Twitter has made reference to him being a fan favorite a handful of times. I don't mean to be presumptuous, but we're not just "acting" like he's likely for Smash; he does have legitimate points in his favor. Your comment strikes me as a bit rude, actually.

And like my friend above said, this isn't a new fan base; Marx has had fans since his debut. We just finally have anything to discuss about him now that HAL has seen fit to revive him. We've hardly come from nowhere, and the fact that this many supporters have already gathered in such a short timespan is nothing to sneeze at.

ETFruitNinja

Smash Rookie
I thought that Marx as a playable character in Smash was a stupid idea until I saw his trailer for Star Allies a couple of days ago. I think he's appeared in enough games now to make the cut, and it wouldn't be difficult at all to make a moveset for him. He's probably the Kirby character I support the most now, even more than Bandana Dee.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Marx for Super Smash Bros 5
Kirby Star Allies is why i added him to my wishlist

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I think it mostly has to do with Marx's fan-base being really big, if not THE biggest, back in the day, specifically around Kirby Superstar Ultra and a few years after that. Once he was just kind of given cameos in games and no real inclusion in the story, people just assumed that he really was killed for good this time and the fan-base sort of went into hibernation (for lack of a better phrase), and is just now starting to reawaken now that he's back as a playable character of all things, however this also means a lot in terms of lore and future inclusions in Kirby games, as everyone though this dude was double dead until now. Even the Japanese character description of his hints that he might be scheming his next move against Kirby and what not.

In short, him returning as a dream friend means a bit more than "oh look he's back for a game" so I guess his huge yet dormant fan-base is starting to freak out again.
That's pretty much what happened to me, yeah. I've always thought Marx was awesome--I have very, very fond memories of Super Star, and how flippin' weird he was. He's never lost his place as one of the top two villains in the Kirby canon to me, right up there next to Dark Matter. Honestly, none of the other Kirby bosses come close (except MAYBE Magolor.) The only problem was that he was seemingly a one-off boss--despite having a pretty good following for so few appearances, he was very memorable.

Then they announced the dream friend plans, with a playable Marx. That was the start. Then, shortly after in the same direct, they reveal Smash Switch. It was bound to trigger connections in the minds of Kirby fans.

Almost.......as if it were planned that way.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
I have major news! With our newest friends, Marx's Audience has reached...

Friends!

I'm so proud to see how this thread has shaped up! Only a few more days till the Star Allies update; here's to another 30!

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Marx would be awesome for smash! Count me in as a supporter. Also I want more Marx in Kirby games.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd rather see Dark Matter in first now that Marx is playable in some form (if Marx is deconfirmed, I still have Star Allies/someone could mod Marx in, if Dark Matter is deconfirmed, no way to play as Dark Matter except through Gooey), but I'm still interested in Smash Marx. Count me in.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I would rather see Haltmann or Hyness, but they're only in one game and not made by Sakurai so they don't exist to him. Hyness in particular is way too recent anyway.

Marx is still a good choice and I will happily take him over the more generic Dark Matter, and 1000% over a Waddle Dee with a bandanna strapped to his head. Marx has some semblance of chance, because to Sakurai, Super Star is the only Kirby game that exists anyway. How else do you justify the greatly offensive cave stage?

If Sakurai really does go back far enough to look at K. Rool's boss fights, he'll inevitably think about his favorite game as well, Super Star. I just hope Marx does end up a bit bigger than he is in Star Allies and more resembles his boss form if he gets in Smash. In any case, I'm happy to lend him my support.

Where are his mouth lazers

Last edited:

Auroxen [sbvpXVII]

Smash Rookie
NNID
Simobros17
3DS FC
1118-0217-3683
I gotta say, I am probably one of the like 3 kirby fans that doesnt endlessly love Super Star
But I really like Marx and I would love for him to be in Smash (the only other choice I would prefer is Magolor I think) so I support this

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well, if I already support a purple, winged, laser breathing villain I guess I may as well support the other one, sign me in, pretty please.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'd rather see Dark Matter in first now that Marx is playable in some form (if Marx is deconfirmed, I still have Star Allies/someone could mod Marx in, if Dark Matter is deconfirmed, no way to play as Dark Matter except through Gooey), but I'm still interested in Smash Marx. Count me in.
As villian I like dark matter and zero more, but the problem they have is that they are always flying, they don't "walk", and I feel like it would be weird to see it walk.
The closest Dark matter that walks is Gooey, I think he have a bigger chance than Dark Matter.
And of course Marx too.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
As villian I like dark matter and zero more, but the problem they have is that they are always flying, they don't "walk", and I feel like it would be weird to see it walk.
The closest Dark matter that walks is Gooey, I think he have a bigger chance than Dark Matter.
And of course Marx too.
Maybe it could pull a Mewtwo and just float above the ground at all times?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
And of course Marx too.
Maybe it could pull a Mewtwo and just float above the ground at all times?
Yeah, like with Mewtwo, I don't think the "always floating" thing is much of an issue. Rosalina constantly floats too, now that I think about it.

The biggest issue I think, is that Dark Matter is pretty much just a ball of darkness with an eye. It totally works in the context of Kirby, but in Smash, it might be kinda weird to control something like that. They'd probably have to use Dark Matter Blade as a base if they were going to do it. Which would be totally fine with me, lol.

But anyway...I'm totally getting off topic here.:p How about that Marx, eh?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
How about that Marx, eh?
me likey that Marx, heh heh. I'm especially excited to be able to play as him tomorrow in Star Allies. I'm also excited for OTHER people to play as him, as his official release is bound to REALLY shake things up in the Marx world. By that, of course, I mean that tons of new fans/returning fans are bound to flood in in some level. Even more so than his reveal and even his trailer! (I hope)

Though on another note, I'm really glad we've had such a plentiful stream of supporters so far! I haven't checked in a few days, but I think we may now have made Marx the most highly requested Kirby character on Smashboards! Right behind Bandana Dee of course, but who knows if any character can make it that far, let alone another Kirby character lol. We can certainly get close though!

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
The Treehouse Tumblr posted a little analysis of Marx, explaining some more of his Star Allies moves!

Assuming the update launches simultaneously worldwide... it'll be out in just under 4 hours! Get hyped!
That was so cool!:grin: I checked out the other Dream Friends too--I am unreasonably excited for this update!!

Also, it looks like the ground eruption move is called Shadow Uppercut. Which is a totally killer name, lol. I even got the Rush move right in my moveset, despite the fact that I completely forgot he did a move like that in Super Star--I thought I was winging that one.:p

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Hullo, hullo. Just dropping in from the K. Rool and Ridley threads primarily. I don't have any fond memories of Marx, in fact I've never played a game he was in (Well, does 2 minutes of Mass Attack count?), but he looks like a dang cool character. I just never rallied because I thought his chances were slim. Someone from the 'Rool boards mentioned his recent appearance in Star Allies, and that made me realize that that alone gives him a far bigger chance than he had before.

So, put me down for Marx support. I want more villains in Smash any ways, and he seems like a dang cool one to have. Here's hoping he gets his chance to Smash.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So Marx’s laser beam can be done with Beam Kirby. (Ride on his back and charge the attack) It’s really strong too.

Really hope that the Super Star train smash has had the past two entries continues. (We had Halberd and the Great Cave Offensive as stages and a lot of Subspace Emissary was based on Super Star)

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
So Marx’s laser beam can be done with Beam Kirby. (Ride on his back and charge the attack) It’s really strong too.
Are you sure? I can't get it to work.

How exactly do you do it? Just hold the attack button while riding Marx as Beam Kirby?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Oh my gosh.

This update is amazing!!! They even added individualized victory themes for the dream friends, even the first three!

Marx is soooo OP...I love it. This is exactly what I would expect tearing through the game with a freakin' final boss would be like.:chuckle:

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, the update is a blast! Allow me to explain Marx's moveset for those who don't have the game/are just curious:

By tapping B while walking or standing still, Marx can generate a Jester Ball and ride atop it. This slightly increases his speed, and the ball explodes on enemies it touches. Marx can jump once while on a ball, and can ride over water and lava while on one. While on a ball, B now behaves like Bomb Kirby's, well, Bomb Throw. Marx can simply kick his Ball forwards or up, or holding B will let him fine tune his aim. He can also hit Down+B to drop the Ball as a trap. Finally, dashing and hitting B will kick the Ball forward violently!

Now... the meat of his set. By hovering, Marx sprouts his wings. While in this form, he has a handful of new moves! Tapping B has him spit out a Jester Ball that falls down and explodes. More on that later... Hold B and release it to use Marx's famous Black Hole maneuver, which pulls in items, enemies, stars, blocks, and pretty much everything else that's not nailed down other than your Friends! A press of Down+B activates Flip Ultima, which has Marx dive down into the floor beneath him. He can then hold B to remain a shadow on the ground and even move around as said shadow. Release B to launch up and out of the shadow, performing a Shadow Uppercut! Finally, pressing Guard and any direction in the air will have Marx teleport a short distance.

Now, Marx has a rather interesting attack in the form of Rush. By dashing, jumping, and hitting B, he'll charge through the air, invincible! He can then press B again in air to Rush again... OR use one of two followups. Pressing Down+B triggers Flip Ultima again, but pressing Up+Down+B instead performs Marx Megaspin, a big swooping attack that can lead into either itself or another Rush! The combo can be used as many times as Marx wants, but using Flip Ultima or any move that interrupts his "dash" state will prevent further Rushes until he lands. Megaspin can also be used by pressing Up+Down+B any time after dashing and jumping, not just in a combo.

At first, this seems like all Marx has. But! By receiving elements from Friends, he can access even more moves from his original fight! I won't cover every little change for each of the five elements, but I'll mention some highlights. With Blizzard, Flip Ultima, Rush, and the Ball attacks will make icy residue that can harm enemies; the Ball Spit Drop now behaves identically to the Freeze Bombs Marx originally used! With Bluster, Rush and Megaspin will make blasts of wind and will actively make Marx rise; riding a Ball and jumping will cause the Ball to float around freely, with Marx keeping total control! Even better, the Ball Spit move now produces the Quad Cutters from Marx's bossfight as well as dropping a Ball! Zap adds sparky explosions to most attacks, and more importantly adds Marx's Arrow Barrage to both Rush and Megaspin without interrupting their combo mechanic! Splash throws balls of water from most attacks, and using Ball Spit will cause the familiar Rose Thorns to bloom from wherever the Ball lands! Finally, Sizzle will spray fire from practically any attack, with Marx even breathing fire on Rush/Megaspin!

In summary: Marx has every single attack from his boss battle except his massive mouth Laser. A fair compromise, I feel!

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Tasty tasty moveset material.

Save the laser for a Final Smash tho the black hole would be a lot cooler for that.

Top Bottom