• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's stupidly powerful tipper is back

Rexx

Smash Journeyman
yes marth is very gay but only in SSBM not SSBB...he isnt nearly as good as he was before my friends, people can't jon about marth in Brawl his f-smash has less range he can't gimp as easily, and his recovery isnt the same, f-B doesnt bring him towards the stage anymore now he just keeps falling without the slight boost.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You can't compare two characters in games with two different game engines.

Marth in Brawl is still ****. Just a different kind of ****.

He has the tools he needs to be top tier in brawl.

And lol@ his recovery, Marth never had good recovery. It was average.

And with crazy DI in this game everyone has above average recovery.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Another video with a tipper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JodYWDUxprI

1:03, Olimar is at 68%, at about the middle of Smashville. Small stage, no DI, but it definitely gives you a better idea of the strenght of the tipper than the first video.

EDIT: Found another video: at 1:35 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bomqTRx9XvA

Metaknight at 7%, gets tippered. Metaknight is light, yeah, but if Marth had been quick enough, I think he could have gotten to the ledge before him.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
ugh i really hate people who use the most broken character in the game or use a character just because some tier sheet (or someone on smashboards) says they are better than other characters. Sure they may have a point, but it destroys the competitive spirit, making the match decided more on char selection than skill. Sure a really good pichu player can kill a fox of lower skill, but if they are ANYWHERE near the same skill level, pichu is owned.
Most Broken? Have you -SEEN- Lucario?!

I've mained marth since the first time I unlocked him, Five friggin years before I ever knew what Smashboards was.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
You can't compare two characters in games with two different game engines.

Marth in Brawl is still ****. Just a different kind of ****.

He has the tools he needs to be top tier in brawl.
I hate it when people use the word "****" casually.

And as for whether he's top tier or not... only time will tell, but he looks good, that's for sure.

And Superninjabreadman... what's up with Lucario?

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I hate it when people use the word "****" casually.

And as for whether he's top tier or not... only time will tell, but he looks good, that's for sure.

And Superninjabreadman... what's up with Lucario?
Well. His B^. when he hits a solid object, like a wall, he can cling to it. its called.. Wall Cling. then he has Wall Jump. (Which if im not mistaken gives you a B^ after you wall jump) Thus. Broken Recovery.

The more damage he takes, the more damage he deals, so.. it his Nair did like.. 20% when he has 0% Taken. it'd do like.. 40% when he was at 200% Damage. making him better farther into fights. It stops increasing at 200% Though.

MonsterCC

Smash Cadet
Personally I wouldn't care if Marth was "top tier" or not, I just like his style.
But I am glad that he is about the same in Brawl :D

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Meh Ican understand why so many people are pissed.
Marth has still remained overpowered as before in melee with relatively few nerfs and even those nerfs are of little to no impact to him overall.
*shrugs*
I have little doubt he will remain top tier with only a few characters being enough to actually take him on and win.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Meh Ican understand why so many people are pissed.
Marth has still remained overpowered as before in melee with relatively few nerfs and even those nerfs are of little to no impact to him overall.
*shrugs*
I have little doubt he will remain top tier with only a few characters being enough to actually take him on and win.
Yeah, huge edgeguarding nerf has no impact on him. Riiiiight.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It doesn't. Marth can just run off the stage and fair.

GG

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Many of us actually like Marth you know. Some like him for his FE game, some like him because of his swift feel, some like him because they just like blue hair or something.
/agree. Why does the majority think that people who use Marth just use him for how broken he is or tier placement? Once I unlocked Marth in SSBM I thought he was a cool character and went online to see what game he was from and then proceeded to play the game via emulators and loved FE. I mained Marth back when I was just a casual player when me and my friends were dumb and thought Roy was the better character, I just liked Marth better.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
/agree. Why does the majority think that people who use Marth just use him for how broken he is or tier placement? Once I unlocked Marth in SSBM I thought he was a cool character and went online to see what game he was from and then proceeded to play the game via emulators and loved FE. I mained Marth back when I was just a casual player when me and my friends were dumb and thought Roy was the better character, I just liked Marth better.
I think that a majority, *not all* of Marth players play Marth for his high/top tier standing (i.e.: tier whores that are bandwagoning). That's why some people have a misconception about people playing Marth, when in fact he's got his "true fans", much like Wario, Ganondorf, Peach or any other character.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
well let me tell u marth's sword is shorter than melee, and i mean REALLY SHORTER... and no, marth's moveset is no longer has the longest move set of characters, I mean Bowser ftilt and King DDD moves have longer range of attacks than marth...

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
in the middle of FD in training mode with no DI in a marth ditto, F smash tipper kills at 72% (91 after hit), and F smash non tip kills at 129% (143 after hit)

marths tipper nair (2nd hit only) is his strongest aerial, killing at 107%, followed by bair, killing at 122%

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
The sad reality is that most people who use Marth in Melee do so because:

1. He kicks *** (in other words, he is overpowered and top-tier)

2. They see people pwning as Marth, or are pwned by said Marth-users, and as the old saying goes: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

While Marth's ability as a Smash character is a valid reason to use him, it does no justice to the character and to Smash and fighting games on a whole. You should pick characters you actually like, not "the best characters". That's why I applaud the Marth players who actually like Marth, who like Fire Emblem, and aren't picking Marth because they think they'll win most matches with him.

Are things going to change in Brawl? No. Plenty of fools will still play Marth just because he kicks ***, and a few others will play Marth (and hopefully Ike as well) because they're genuine FE fans.

Bug

Smash Rookie
I play Marth because Kirby kinda sucked after SSB64 and I've always been a sucker for guys with a sword and cape. I can't believe it's already been over 6 years since that fateful Christmas of 2001.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think that a majority, *not all* of Marth players play Marth for his high/top tier standing (i.e.: tier whores that are bandwagoning). That's why some people have a misconception about people playing Marth, when in fact he's got his "true fans", much like Wario, Ganondorf, Peach or any other character.
I think you have it backwards. Most people that main Marth (not secondary) like him for his play style. They like fast sword characters, and Marth was the fastest swordsman in melee (and argueably still in brawl). That's how I was introduced to the FE series itself. I played Marth, I liked his swiftness and elegance, and then I wanted to find out more about where he came from.

The people that join the bandwagon normally start him off as a back up for their main character, and then move him to front runner if they are losing with their main. Most Marth mains aren't like that.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Well i did thought to main roy but he was just to slow for me, so since marth and roy share the same moves, i tried marth and loved his quick and swift stile. that was much before i was told that he's high tier (hell, i didn't even knew what was 'tier'). After that i played FE 9 and love, so that make me emulate FE3 but I quit it because bad translations and FE DS getting closer (i didn't wanted spoilers), and now i'm emulating FE4 and i LOVE FE.

S2

Smash Lord
Question: What's so bad about being a tier *****? I picked up Fox as a secondary because he's top tier, I don't see anything wrong with it.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a character based on tier.

It doesn't matter what the player's motivation is when choosing a character. Plus, in most games the characters towards the top of the tier list are fun because they tend to be technical.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
There is nothing wrong with choosing a character based on tier.

It doesn't matter what the player's motivation is when choosing a character. Plus, in most games the characters towards the top of the tier list are fun because they tend to be technical.
You got a point. Hey, choose the characters y'all want, have fun, and don't forget to have fun.

Oh, and kick ***.

Xervah

Smash Cadet
Same here, we unlocked Marth over my friends house, and I have mained him ever since simply because I thought he looked cool. Funny how at first we also thought roy was way better, until we actually developed skills and knowledge about the game.

Xervah

Smash Cadet
A marth sob story for anybody that cares.

I was so excited when he was finally confirmed for brawl, as I have waited for this day since the DOJO began updating. Then I saw the "Marth's Breakthrough" video, right off the bat I thought he was nerfed bigtime after seeing his range reduction. Also, since the guy was playing subspace there wasn't anyway to tell how powerful his moveset was.

I couldn't wait to finally use my favorite character in Smash Bros without constant complaints until doomsday happened, I saw Meljin's 1 v 1 videos and realized fate was about to repeat itself all over again (being stuck with a cheap/noob character). I have seen many other Marth 1 v 1 videos since then and have heard how broken, easy, unfair, etc. Marth is once again. Even Gimpyfish and other pro smash players has emphasized how easy Marth is to play in brawl and they are unfortunately right.

I am severely pissed that Sakurai would nerf so many other melee characters such as Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Falcon, Ice Climbers, Falcon, maybe others and even friggin YOSHI!!, whom is bottom tier for crying out loud. How the hell did they screw up that badly and make an already great character even better. I've head extensive of talk how Marth should have his own spot in top tier or will at least be the leader of top tier and that is depressing, but true. I have always just stuck it out because I knew brawl was underway and once that brawl was released, melee would just be a thing in the past.

Let's do some crude probability statistics to see what are the odds of choosing arguably the best character back to back. Lets see 1/25, (about 4%) and then 1/35 or 1/39 (both about 3%), not to mention he was more likely to be worse in brawl after being godlike in melee. I know that since this is a binomial event there is a lot more math to this problem, but forget it the point is made. Looks like I may have to find a new character to main for brawl, although it will not be my favorite character. Who knows maybe I should wait for the tier list so I do not make the mistake of choosing a godly character again.

Sorry for the long rant, but I felt the need to let it out. Most of the time I just flat out don't care, but sometimes this extremely unlucky crap just hits a nerve. I am sure at least some other true Marth fans (not tier whores) share similar aggravation. Brawl will still be the best game ever :).

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Looks like I may have to find a new character to main for brawl, although it will not be my favorite character. Who knows maybe I should wait for the tier list so I do not make the mistake of choosing a godly character again.

Sorry for the long rant, but I felt the need to let it out. Most of the time I just flat out don't care, but sometimes this extremely unlucky crap just hits a nerve. I am sure at least some other true Marth fans (not tier whores) share similar aggravation. Brawl will still be the best game ever :).
I'm not a fan of Marth, although I'm a fan of balance, so I know what you mean. But frankly, you should main whoever you want to, and if it happens that your favorite character is godly, then more power to you.

And I would like to reiterate that it's pretty obvious the devs didn't care about competitive players nor balance when they made the game.

I mean, you got Marth that got a boost as if he needed it, then you got tripping, Ganondorf without armor frames, Falcon being nerfed as if he needed to, tons of complex and interesting mechanisms removed... and that's just on top of my head.

Xervah

Smash Cadet
Thanks Warlock.

Although I am angry about the poor balance job on some characters, I should not let that prevent me from using Marth. I'll just have to endure the compaints again. Besides even if I was to main somebody else, they would just compain about them as well because I am far more skilled than any of my friends at smash. They complain about how overpowered Zelda, Roy, and the other characters I use are.

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
I played Marth back in the early Melee days, when everyone thought he was mid tier at best. I'll continue to play him regardless of where he ends up on the tier listings, and could care less about the complaints of my friends who whine about Marth when I kill them with him (in Melee that is, haven't played Brawl with my buddies extensively yet).

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Thanks Warlock.

Although I am angry about the poor balance job on some characters, I should not let that prevent me from using Marth. I'll just have to endure the complaints again. Besides even if I was to main somebody else, they would just complain about them as well because I am far more skilled than any of my friends at smash. They complain about how overpowered Zelda, Roy, and the other characters I use are.
Good, now you're talking.

Complaints? When I used G-Dorf in Melee and crushed them 8 times on 10, my friends didn't complain much: they got better, egged me, spiked me and kneed my face! :laugh:

Tell your friends they should "kill" you instead of complaining. :psycho:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I played Marth back in the early Melee days, when everyone thought he was mid tier at best. I'll continue to play him regardless of where he ends up on the tier listings, and could care less about the complaints of my friends who whine about Marth when I kill them with him (in Melee that is, haven't played Brawl with my buddies extensively yet).
And now that's another authentic guy.

I look forward to ****ting on everybody, running them over with my bike and eating them for dinner... and maybe poking them in the ribs with a hammer or sword from time to time. ;)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
How the hell did they screw up that badly and make an already great character even better. I've head extensive of talk how Marth should have his own spot in top tier or will at least be the leader of top tier and that is depressing, but true. I have always just stuck it out because I knew brawl was underway and once that brawl was released, melee would just be a thing in the past.
Marth wasn't the only high tier to be buffed. Looks like Peach joined his bandwagon and got faster running speed, less laggy aerials (minus float canceling), stronger attacks, faster ground moves, and a little heavier. The only thing she really lost was the size of her double jump and her broken down smash.

Actually, I think most Marth fans (the not tier whores) are glad that Marth is still good. I admit they over did it, but it's only natural that you'd want one of your favorite characters to also be a strong fighter. I rejoiced when I found out that Marth avoided the nerf hammer because I liked his swiftness and elegance in melee, and I'm glad that has returned.

Irow

Smash Ace
You have to remember that the nerfs to Marth in Brawl mainly consist in the physics of the game. It's harder to combo with Marth. Edgeguarding is for the most part ineffective.

That's not to say Marth isn't great in Brawl. his moves are incredibly strong for how fast his sword swings. His range is still impressive.

Play Marth because you like Marth.

By the way, move this discussion to the Discussion thread. This doesn't have much o do with the OP.

Deft

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure that tipper was so effective because of the gravity change that comes with the flying version of the pokemon stage.

Top Bottom