• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Secondaries...

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
I have been finding my inner smasher the past couple of months (and school), so I haven't been on here. By the way, my Marth game is way better than when I first put up videos. I finally can grasp the "flow" of a match and the "flow" of the characters on screen. This happened through like a week of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I hope to put up videos again to show my progress soon, and it's good to be back.

BUT, now that I have Marth where I want him, I want to pick a secondary that compliments him well. I have been playing around with Snake, Kirby, Ike, and Toon Link recently, but I am still open to Diddy or G&W (Olimar too, but I have terrible luck with him at tournaments.) There are a lot of options, and I will try anyone EXCEPT MK!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Falco is pretty solid for a secondary.
I do lucario because there is "some" similarity and opponents in my area still don't know how to play against a good lucario.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Uh, considering this thread has been created 9001 times, I'm disapointed at some of our vets replying to this without pointing him toward the Q&A thread.

Falco mains prefer Marth as their secondary, maybe you should try out Falco.
THIS

I've noticed a lot of Marth mains seem to Sheik a lot.

But maybe everyone is just ripping off of Neo again.
Yes

TreK

Is "that guy"
diddeh ? idk, but marf is D²'s best 2nd. Not sure if it is true the other way around :p
edit : i'm too sloow :o

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Your best options in order:

MK, Falco, D3

imo....

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
good idea!

i like ness for his grab ko cause its hard to kill with marth sometimes just swinging my sword

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Personally.. I'm going with Falco. >>;

Marth is my main and when I get him to where I feel pro using him, I'll start using Falco as my secondary. Maybe Ice Climbers because they're fun.

But I'd recommend Falco. :D

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hmm I thought I posted something here but apparently it didnt post...

Lol Saltus Combo FTW!!

Well Shiek and Marth's playstyle is a bit similar so I don't think people are ripping off of NEO... XD.

Also, how much better of a secondary, would you guys say, is Falco than DDD for a Marth main? Cus DDD is my secondary right now, and I've been playing him since Brawl came out.

Uh, considering this thread has been created 9001 times, I'm disapointed at some of our vets replying to this without pointing him toward the Q&A thread.
What 9000?! That CAN'T be right!

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I play Snake and Kirby, it really depends on your matchups as a player. I hate Falco and MK so I use chars that **** them and that I have fun with lol

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I secondary Dedede, I honestly had a stint at Falco, but, well, Dedede is an amazing character.

Dedede just... doesn't lose. And if you lose, it's because you were either vsing Ice Climbers, Pikachu or Falco....
On Final Destination.

For a character who has most of his match ups at 65:35s or better, meaning Dedede can mostly remain as a secondary, not one who requires as much focus or dedication as Marth; he's foontastic.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I secondary Dedede, I honestly had a stint at Falco, but, well, Dedede is an amazing character.

Dedede just... doesn't lose. And if you lose, it's because you were either vsing Ice Climbers, Pikachu or Falco....
On Final Destination.

For a character who has most of his match ups at 65:35s or better, meaning Dedede can mostly remain as a secondary, not one who requires as much focus or dedication as Marth; he's foontastic.
rofl same deal with Snake. If I'm not feeling the matchup I'll just switch to him. Plus I enjoy Snake dittos XP

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
don't just think about match ups think about stages also you don't want your main and secondary to be CP'd.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
CP Marth and Dedede?
Who the **** does that?

No MK I know can beat the gayest dedede in the southern hemisphere. Especially if I go Super Gayan Two :p.

Oh, look at me, I just picked dedede on your counterpick (that wasn't final destination), hard countering your main on one of his better stages that goes reasonably even with Marth after I won first match; dohohoho you pick a character that doesn't get hard countered by Dedede but loses fairly to Marth. See what I did there?

Match ups in this world's counter picking system means A LOT. Dedede destroying so many of the cast makes him one of, if not the best character in the game to secondary to completely annihilate your opponent's sense of "I CAN WIN".

Player-3

Smash Hero
CP Marth and Dedede?
Who the **** does that?

No MK I know can beat the gayest dedede in the southern hemisphere. Especially if I go Super Gayan Two :p.

Oh, look at me, I just picked dedede on your counterpick (that wasn't final destination), hard countering your main on one of his better stages that goes reasonably even with Marth after I won first match; dohohoho you pick a character that doesn't get hard countered by Dedede but loses fairly to Marth. See what I did there?

Match ups in this world's counter picking system means A LOT. Dedede destroying so many of the cast makes him one of, if not the best character in the game to secondary to completely annihilate your opponent's sense of "I CAN WIN".
secondary falcon so instead of having a sense of I CAN WIN

its a sense of

MINDGAMES?
IS HE FALCON PRO?
BETTER SD BEFORE HE 3 STOCKS ME

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
CP Marth and Dedede?
Who the **** does that?

coughcoughrainbowcruisecoughcough.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
CP Marth and Dedede?
Who the **** does that?

WTF.

This is why I play melee.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
coughcoughrainbowcruisecoughcough.
CG on ship...
dededecides are over 9000x easier than on any other stage
???
profit!

Also stage comes first; then character, I'd stay Marth/go MK if someone wanted to try and gay me with RC.

WTF.

This is why I play melee.
Replace dedede with Sheik.
But no one DOESN'T use top tier in melee anymore, so it doesn't really matter.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
CP Marth and Dedede?
Who the **** does that?

I still personally like Falco.. but I'll try Dedede. I just have no idea how to use him. :p

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
CG on ship...
dededecides are over 9000x easier than on any other stage
???
profit!

Also stage comes first; then character, I'd stay Marth/go MK if someone wanted to try and gay me with RC.
Yeah I know how the CP system works but If you main marth back up d3 then it won't matter. But then again you guys seem to be able to play with a wide range of the cast and not miss a beat. What about characters that can't be CG can they still be CG against the wall?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Everytime you dthrow them near the wall you're looking at a [mostly] guaranteed down smash / re grab through tech chasing.

It's not all about using multiple characters well, it's more about making sure the other person won't get away with gaying you. Half their glee is "YES RC CP WITH MK!" and then when you go MK first it's like a jab to the groin -> "they're gonna have to try a LOT harder."

M@v

Subarashii!
Falco is the best secondary for marth hands down, and vise versa. With Fox/Falco/Marth I got everything covered and dont even need Peach lucario Zelda or MK. I just use them to mix it up.

I play too many people I know.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I play Marth, Toon Link, and Kirby. Kirby can fight MK, Falco, kinda Wario, and D3. I use Toon Link for Snake and a couple others. Toon Link is a great character for me. He wipes Snakes across the floor. Marth covers almost everyone else. So Kirby takes the S tiers, Marth takes A tiers and lower. He can take Wario and Diddy well too. Toon Link has random advantages that I need to cover. My problem match-ups are MK (45%-Kirby) Snake(45%-Toon Link) DK & Wolf(55%-I forgot) So I am set now, thanks y'all. Oh and next time point me to the Q&A thread.

Top Bottom