• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs __________ Help.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
bthrow gets marth on platforms (highish percent) dthrow gets him off stage, combos into fsmash if they DI it super bad and I think you can gimmick dthrow into sideb combo.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
is it ever appropriate to use any throw other than fthrow in the marth ditto? I know uthrow is sometimes an utilt combo starter, but are bthrow and dthrow viable options?

Also, can side b do anything? Other than humiliating, off the ledge m2k-style spike shenanigans?
By the way the off the ledge Side-B spike is something Kizzu started going for first. I mean it was known about but back in like 06 nobody went off the ledge for risky/rewarding/epic ****. Only the Brazilians...cuz they don't give a ****!

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm trying to learn dash dance and wavedash to JC grab. I practice against a Peach and I don't care if I lose I just try to do that all game practicing under pressure. I get some chain grabs in there but I have problems with the Turnips. If I'm in a dash dance and hes holding a turnip what do I do? How am I suppose to get past the turnip? Is my spacing just wrong? Thanks.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
it can really screw with a peach players head if you stand still and catch about half of the turnips they throw. No dash dancing, no wavedashing, not even a jump. Just stand and catch, THEN go nuts and return fire. Mindgames~

besides catching the turnips, you should learn how to get around them. A good peach player can alter how they are sending the turnips at you and mix it up, making catching them less effective... She's got a limited number of angles she can throw them at: keep her guessing

also keep in mind that as marth you have the advantage against peach, especially if she's holding a turnip. You should always be threatening her zone, just outside of your tipper range but just out of range of peach's silly push and blender dsmash. The reason i say this is because, honestly, the easiest way to deal with peach's turnips is to punish her for pulling them in the first place. While she's pulling you have enough time to punish her in a vulnerable position...

\ramble

:phone:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Marth sucks throwing turnips. Just drop them instead, no lag.
well yes, that's safer to do in certain situations. Marth can get a combo off of a turnip but it depends on the stage and your placement on the stage and where peach gets knocked to. if your close enough to her that you don't have time to toss it back it's indeed best to drop it and hope she can't nair you while you're in the air. ehhh i like fighting peach but she can be such a pain lol. so many options

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm what's weird is you kind of play like a lvl 9 computer :D

in a rush I'll add critique later ;)
Ok thanks man I'm looking forward to it. It's cause I just recently took smash competitively and I have a lot to learn to catch up. I already know how to wavedash and dash dance decently but I still don't L -cancel and stuff like that. So critiquing would help me :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Ok thanks man I'm looking forward to it. It's cause I just recently took smash competitively and I have a lot to learn to catch up. I already know how to wavedash and dash dance decently but I still don't L -cancel and stuff like that. So critiquing would help me :)
I notice that. I will tell you like someone once told me. You aren't yet at the level to be critiqued. It would be unfair to you if I tried to critique you on the same level of the more experienced.

However, I can advice you to work on l-canceling separately. Try using the Z button for aerials if you are having a heard time with the motions of pressing A then L. Before you try mixing all of them together try to do them all separate and mastering each technique alone. Wavedashing out of shield is also something you should practice. If Rolling is your only option the higher level players will eat you alive. You don't want to get into the habit of just walking to the opponent either. If there is distance between you close it safely or wait for an opening. The falco player isn't that threatening but as you play better people you will learn that walking straight forward and Fsmashing is possibly the most predictable and most punishable thing you could do.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
don't take this the worng way mind you, but i was expecting more from a "amazing best falco in the world" than standing lasers ect lol...

What spam said, get the basics down before you try applying them together.

I see that you live in new york: if it's anywhere near N.Y.C. hit up some of the players in that area, a lot of them are friggen' AMAZING *coughhax-jman-g$-ectectectcough* they'll get you on the right track. as strange as it sounds, getting your rear handed to you by really good players will improve you whether you realize it or not

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah walking up and f-smashing is terrible, especially when they learn how to power shield properly.
Ill put in a proper crituqe later when I can actually watch the video.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
spam are you posting that video for people to critque it or for people who don't know how to fight samus to learn some tricks? lol

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i only have a vauge idea of how to fight samus tho lol (if my pools set against Yong ever gets uploaded i'll share it)

there's a few things i saw that you could work on but it's not MU stuff. For example on the FoD match those high ledge jumps are extremely unsafe, he could've easily nailed you with a well timed missle. That's all i have since i can't pause the videos on my dinosaur phone

you've improved a lot tho good stuff ;)

Beat!

Smash Master
Never ever lose your patience against Samus and you should be fine. Just keep juggling and hitting her back off stage. It doesn't matter if she dies at 170% if you don't take any/only take a little damage while getting her there.

You can be pretty offensive when edge guarding, but don't fsmash if it won't kill her. Dtilt is better. Going off stage is good as well.
If you deny her grapple recovery and hit her back off stage, you should start looking for edge hog opportunities.

Don't space poorly or you'll get ****ed up.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I hate to fight samus on big stages like Dreamland because....she can live for too long under the right conditions. I almost refuse to play on FD though. I like the platforms too much in the MU.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
on FD a smart samus can create a barrage for you to work around and punish you for a sloppy approach\movement. If you get past then yeah, she's got nowhere to go and if you space properly and don't get greedy (which is why i lost to yong) then you'll be fine. I'm strange in that i tend to like big stages as marth; small stages aren't always to his advantage.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
FD is coooool against Samus.

She just like, get comb'd and die.
the same could be done to you though. No platforms means no escape and no tilt/aerial abuse. :(

on FD a smart samus can create a barrage for you to work around and punish you for a sloppy approach\movement. If you get past then yeah, she's got nowhere to go and if you space properly and don't get greedy (which is why i lost to yong) then you'll be fine. I'm strange in that i tend to like big stages as marth; small stages aren't always to his advantage.

I agree. Still in a wide open nowhere to hide stage you have to beat samus in the head to head. It's winnable and in your favor but one mistake and suddenly samus beats the **** out of you or spams you to death.

I like Big stages with platforms

Bing

Smash Master
If I not mistaken is the Powershield edge hog(The Marth Killer) be good against Samus? similar recoveries in that its mostly straight up and that even if they go past the ledge and Di onto the stage, the lag should be enough to get a grab or some form of a abuse.

Also, fair and nair are my best friend <3

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
You are mistaken.

1) Grapple is usually better to recover with, making the powershield edgehog useless

2) Samus has multiple hitboxes on her UpB which is probably going to hit you before you reach the edge

Even if Samus does land on stage and Marth has the edge, Marth can't really punish Samus very hard from that position.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
If you manage to make Samus waste her grapple, then yeah dtilt is awesome.

Just jumping out there and hitting her (and her bombs) is pretty good.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
You are mistaken.

1) Grapple is usually better to recover with, making the powershield edgehog useless

2) Samus has multiple hitboxes on her UpB which is probably going to hit you before you reach the edge

Even if Samus does land on stage and Marth has the edge, Marth can't really punish Samus very hard from that position.
Ledgehop dair would work. It works on Sheik. But you're probably right about one of her hitboxes hitting you.

Mahie

Smash Lord
He's a PAL player though so that situation doesn't scare him much, maybe that's why he omitted it.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Anybody have any tips vs Peach? The only thing I can do is play gay as ****. How hard/how good is it to grab turnips?

Mahie

Smash Lord
Is Marth's on stage dair different in Pal too?

I don't think there's any difference apart from the fact that you can meteor cancel it. Rebounds and stuff are the same. Or at least, look the same.

Regarding Peach : I don't think grabbing turnips is a good options as marth. Powershielding them , however, really ***** their whole Turnip > Float&Wait > Fair thing. Since turnips come from above most of the time, just crouch then shield and you should be able to PS them with a bit of practice.

Or just slash through them.

Beat!

Smash Master
Is Marth's on stage dair different in Pal too?

Well, it sends at a sligthtly different angle, being a meteor smash, which I guess could make a difference in some situations. And like, if you're doing it from really high up, your opponent can MC it before they hit the ground haha. None of those happen very often at all though, and I don't think there are any other differences.

dat ninja

Bait dash attacks from Peach and punish with grabs and stuff. When she stops doing them you can start doing aerials and stuff.

Also, be super patient.

Top Bottom