• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A Thread (To replace new thread spam)

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlashG

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlakeKustard
Honestly, and anybody can feel free to disagree with this, I think the ken combo is kind of overrated. I mean, if you pull one off it will more than likely score you a kill, but the ken combo requires your opponent to DI towards you (you can sometimes get it if they don't have a jump and they don't DI). If you're playing against players with good combo DI, you probably aren't going to get very many ken combos even if you set it up perfectly. If you want to find out good kill options on spacies, try different things out of upthrow.

Your last few questions can be solved by practicing them a lot. Just go into training mode and work on spacing all your moves until your comfortable with them. Just practice the ledgedash over and over until you're good at it.

AirFair

Marth tho
what are the practical uses of the side b or dancing blade? I see Ken do it sometimes and can't help but think it's a bit ineffecient.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
what are the practical uses of the side b or dancing blade? I see Ken do it sometimes and can't help but think it's a bit ineffecient.
It's a bit inefficient.

PPMD does the first hit into utilt, but that's dependent on the opponent's DI. M2K never seems to use it besides for styling (and recovery, of course). You can get away with it sometimes, but really, there's almost always a better option.

Meru

Smash Cadet
What are some good ken combo setups on spacies?
Any tips on a good/fast ledgedash? I tend to SD.
What are some good methods for working on tippers? specifically the fair, as it can be hard to postion mid approach for a noob like myself.
Now, maybe it won't help other people, but when I want to get "used to" a move and its hitboxes, I tell myself before games, to "overuse" it. such as, overuse nair this game, or overuse dtilt. What I mean by this, is to consciously make an effort to use a move no matter the situation or percent, to understand how it works in any situation when the time comes. So here, I would say, "overuse" fair. Maybe if you're used to juggling spacies with uair on FD, start overusing fair in place of uair early on, even when it may seem better to uair. Using a move in these wonky situations at any moment means you understand better when it IS a good time to use the move - and then knowing exactly what hitbox and angle to choose to hit someone with. Also, because you're making a deliberate effort to (in this example) fair instead of uair, it's not as though it forms a bad habit.

Maybe it is hard to get big combos on good players, but hey, they happen. As for ledgedashes, be patient with them. Although it's not frame perfection, I like to make sure I'm at a comfortable height before inputting airdodge, because then there's almost no chance of SD, and you can still go quite far. Also, you can retain invincibility for a decent amount of time this way. I also feel that perfect ledgedashes depend a lot doing ur DJ ASAP after dropping from ledge. If you haven't already, you should read some of the Kadano thread where he talks about ledgedashing/haxdashing - there're some useful numbers in there that might help give you a good sense of the time you have.

JediLink

Smash Ace
If you sweetspot the ledge with your recovery perfectly, can anything still hit you? Against Falcos for example, I feel like sometimes I get hit by down smash and sometimes I don't.

TheBestinWestPalmBeach

Smash Rookie

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Hello. I'm in intermediate Marth main looking to get to the next level. What is the practical application of shield dropping? How do i improve my tech chases " or just how to tech chase." I need some advice on closing stocks against floaties. How to i get around Falco lazer pressure. Last i need to improve my movement. especially on large platform stages like PS and DL so if u can give me tips on that it'd help a lot. Thanks

Dr4gonBlitz

Smash Cadet
Hello. I'm in intermediate Marth main looking to get to the next level. What is the practical application of shield dropping? How do i improve my tech chases " or just how to tech chase." I need some advice on closing stocks against floaties. How to i get around Falco lazer pressure. Last i need to improve my movement. especially on large platform stages like PS and DL so if u can give me tips on that it'd help a lot. Thanks
Shield Dropping: There are two kinds of shield drops, running shield drops and stationary shield drops. Running shield drops are performed by running along a platform and pressing and holding down on the control stick and (i believe) 4 frames later pressing the L or R buttons lightly as if to light shield. I will assume you mean stationary, as it is what most commentators refer to when talking about shield drops.
-Application: A stationary shield drop is useful any time you area on a platform and your opponent attempts to pressure your shield unsafely. If they are on the platform with you: shield drop -> up air. If they are in front of you: shield drop -> Fair. If they are underneath you, Shield drop -> Dair. I don't recommend using back air as it has some start up and your opponent can easily punish it. (BTW running shield drops are really only useful for continuing combos and catching oponents off guard by falling through the platform instead of running / WDing off.)

Tech Chasing: in order to tech chase efficiently, you must understand how to force your opponent into a knocked down state. The easiest ways to do this are: DOWN THROW, and FORWARD THROW. Other moves can cause knock down but aren't as reliable for follow ups.
-How to: (Understand that all specific methods and follow-ups are character/ percent specific) The Basic way to practice this is to get 20XX or a friend who is willing to mix-up their tech options, then continue to knock them down with both forward throw and down throw and try and REACT and cover their tech/miss tech with what ever you see fit. (its very important that you react and not try and guess where they are going. Save that for a match when you have downloaded your opponents teching habits.)

Closing Stocks Against Floaties: I don't have a lot of experience in this category but I'll help however I can. I Believe the most important thing to understand in floaty matchupsis that unless you get a low% kill some how they probably aren't going to die until over 120% from some petty move in the neutral. DO NOT GET ANTSY! Stay calm and don't throw out and FSmash unless you are 300% sure its going to hit. Understand that, Tipper Downsmash comes out quicker than FSmash, and is slightly harder to punish and is just as likely to kill on stages with low ceilings. If the floaty gets past 70% or so, you are more than likely not going to end the stock for a while so continue to chip away damage and play the neutral as safely as you can and look for an opening to punish instead of forcing one.
-Puff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vjux7JPmM and the match up specific section of Kandos Guide.
Dancing Blade 1 -> Up Tilt/ Forward Tilt/ Tipper Fair(Really High %)

Falco Lasers: Power Shielding lasers should be your go to at lower levels of play. PSing lasers DESTROYS most low/mid falcos will get so discouraged they will stop lasering all together and the problem is solved. PRACTICE POWER SHIELDING!!!! Even at high levels of play, Keeping the falco honest by punishing poor laser with PS -> Grab -> Death is always nice. I don't have too much experience with other options since I'm pretty good at power shielding, I usually just do that the whole time.

AirFair

Marth tho
What are some good mixups with marth? like certain moves or something I can use. I like to use dtilt out of a dashdance sometime when I dash towards my opponent and then dtilt after I start running.

townes

Smash Apprentice
If you run in and dtilt, the logical mixup would be run in and grab or dash attack. That's just how I understand mixups to work.

dfrogman

Smash Cadet
the thing that ken mentions about delaying the later hits of the combo in one of his videos comes up a lot for me. there's one really good game on youtube somewhere where m2k delays the last upwards swing and nails a spacie attacking him from behind; i'm not sure if mere mortals like us can expect to pull this off with any consistency, but it at least got me thinking about it. in general, though, i think you're only supposed to use the first hit as a jab and then tilt them or some ****, pp and ken both do this a lot i think

Last edited:

Dr4gonBlitz

Smash Cadet
Mix up in the neutral: WD back -> Dash Forward quickly and then reset stick to neutral -> Dash attack Canceled Grab. This catches a lot of opponents off guard if they are just dash dancing around as they want to wait for you to do something. (The WD back into Dash makes a "Sticky Walk" like Movement where you freeze in place.)

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
My neutral game with Marth is great, but my combo and punish game are lacking. I can chain grab space animals reliably, but I suck at combos on stage, to combos off stage, to kill. I consider my matchups against floaty characters to be good because my spacing is really solid with Marth and I don't let them get in easily. I really do need to work on my combo/punish game though. Does anyone have any advice as to how to improve that part of my game?

Meru

Smash Cadet
Practice upairing on Battlefield's platforms to cover tech options, practice waveland onto platforms to grab to mixup the opponent on a platform (uair, utilt, waveland->grab), never miss sh uair to tipper top platforms on YS and FoD. Practice uthrow uair on Falcon/fox/falco on FD. Overuse dolphin slash to end combos early, overuse early tippers (in practice). Practice techchasing on falcon. Practice nairing in combos from 40-60 percent on spacies, practice tippering with fairs, and you shouldn't ever miss an uair tipper if you want it. higher percents, you can sourspot fair->dair, sourspot uair->fsmash, ~70 you can uthrow tipper fsmash spacies, mid 50s-mid 70s you can uthrow->tipper fsmash falcon. On floaties you can use nair to combo at lower percents, on sheik, uair juggling is best usually. On kadano's thread he has fthrow followups on jiggs at 90. Practice sh double fair, sh fair->uair. Practice wavelands on all the platformed stages, practice gimping fox/falco/falcon on dthrow.

Datnero

Smash Rookie
I'm wondering, what are some good options against Puff? My Marth is good enough to consistently 3 stock most of my friends' mains, but the second my buddy pulls out his Puff, he 3 stocks me right back. Should I just be trying to outspace her with fair? I know that she can't do much above me, so I've tried just uptilting like it's going out of style, but when she gets through that it's a massacre.

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for some of that advice Meru. Played against my buddies today and tried implementing more up airs and platform tech chases. I found myself getting a bunch of 0 to deaths on their space animals and for whatever reason my reads where insanely on point today. Great strides were made in my Marth game today.

I'm wondering, what are some good options against Puff? My Marth is good enough to consistently 3 stock most of my friends' mains, but the second my buddy pulls out his Puff, he 3 stocks me right back. Should I just be trying to outspace her with fair? I know that she can't do much above me, so I've tried just uptilting like it's going out of style, but when she gets through that it's a massacre.
Honestly, Jiggs is one of my favourite matchups to play all my characters against, including Marth. Here's some of what I do in the matchup:

- Dashdance out of their spaced aerials, specifically back air. Do this A LOT
- Bait out an attempt at spaced back airs, then right when they are about to hit the ground go in with a F-air, grab, or tipper spaced F-smash depending on what you feel the best option is at the time
- Marth has a DI dependent regrab on Puff at low percents. What I liked to do when starting against a Puff that has 0% damage is grab, back throw, grab, back throw, and because they're expecting another grab to back throw, they'll now DI inward in attempt to escape the chain grab. If you forward throw when they do this, it puts them PERFECTLY in tipper F-smash range. If you do this near the edge of a stage, it almost certainly means death to the Puff.
- If your friend ever figures out that a crouching Puff can avoid Marth's grabs, then watch out big time. Puff can rest Marth out of a whiffed grab. When you see Puff going for a crouch punish though, go for tipper'd F-airs, single hit dancing blade, or even a carefully spaced tipper'd forward smash
- Lastly, don't be afraid to go for tipper'd up airs on the top platform of Yoshi's story above 80-90ish percent (can't actually remember a specific percentage)

Dr4gonBlitz

Smash Cadet
Play as patient as possible. A patient marth who knows how to capitalize of jiggs will always win. Grab ONLY when you know it will land or face a Couch -> Punish. Space with Fairs if they are trying to control the air, and Dash Dance -> Dtilt if they are baiting out grabs on the ground. LEARN GRAB KO SETUPS!!!! It makes the matchup soooooo much better knowing you can reliably kill jiggs at 90%. Without them you will most likely have to wait until around 120% with utilt or 150% with tipper Fair. Throwing out Fsmash in the neutral is OK if you know they are about to approach. Its hard for jiggs to punish a well spaced Fsmash. And to make sure they land more often, Always make notice of how they approach and how many jumps they use when putting up a Bair/Fair wall. Simply find their pattern/patterns and Fsmash every time. It will make them more afraid to approach and makes them space poorly as they become more timid.

Datnero

Smash Rookie
Thanks for some of that advice Meru. Played against my buddies today and tried implementing more up airs and platform tech chases. I found myself getting a bunch of 0 to deaths on their space animals and for whatever reason my reads where insanely on point today. Great strides were made in my Marth game today.

Honestly, Jiggs is one of my favourite matchups to play all my characters against, including Marth. Here's some of what I do in the matchup:

- Dashdance out of their spaced aerials, specifically back air. Do this A LOT
- Bait out an attempt at spaced back airs, then right when they are about to hit the ground go in with a F-air, grab, or tipper spaced F-smash depending on what you feel the best option is at the time
- Marth has a DI dependent regrab on Puff at low percents. What I liked to do when starting against a Puff that has 0% damage is grab, back throw, grab, back throw, and because they're expecting another grab to back throw, they'll now DI inward in attempt to escape the chain grab. If you forward throw when they do this, it puts them PERFECTLY in tipper F-smash range. If you do this near the edge of a stage, it almost certainly means death to the Puff.
- If your friend ever figures out that a crouching Puff can avoid Marth's grabs, then watch out big time. Puff can rest Marth out of a whiffed grab. When you see Puff going for a crouch punish though, go for tipper'd F-airs, single hit dancing blade, or even a carefully spaced tipper'd forward smash
- Lastly, don't be afraid to go for tipper'd up airs on the top platform of Yoshi's story above 80-90ish percent (can't actually remember a specific percentage)
He knows about the crouching, and that's why I never, EVER go for grabs. It sucks, because I rely on grabs a lot, and in order to play puff, I have to change up my playstyle a ton, and I think that's what kills me. Thank you so much for the grab advice, I'll definitely see if I can safely add that to my gameplan.

Play as patient as possible. A patient marth who knows how to capitalize of jiggs will always win. Grab ONLY when you know it will land or face a Couch -> Punish. Space with Fairs if they are trying to control the air, and Dash Dance -> Dtilt if they are baiting out grabs on the ground. LEARN GRAB KO SETUPS!!!! It makes the matchup soooooo much better knowing you can reliably kill jiggs at 90%. Without them you will most likely have to wait until around 120% with utilt or 150% with tipper Fair. Throwing out Fsmash in the neutral is OK if you know they are about to approach. Its hard for jiggs to punish a well spaced Fsmash. And to make sure they land more often, Always make notice of how they approach and how many jumps they use when putting up a Bair/Fair wall. Simply find their pattern/patterns and Fsmash every time. It will make them more afraid to approach and makes them space poorly as they become more timid.
So safely fsmashing like a mad-man is legit then? That's really helpful if that's the case.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
A good trick to get out of a aerial spamming jiggs is to shield pivot out of a dashdance, and grab out of the shield. It's safer then trying to grab on the ground, where it can whiff and get punished.

AirFair

Marth tho
Wow this thread needs to get stickied before it dies like the last one.

Ok new question. What do I do against a recovering sheik to keep them away from the ledge?

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Anyone good with the more technical stuff? What method do you use for ledgehop uair onto stage? The thing M2K does a couple times with punishing spacie side b recoveries.

I definitely can do a regular uair onto stage, but the one I'm referring to comes out pretty instant. I'm sure you've seen it. I generally do a very quick [away->tap jump towards] the stage on the control stick followed with a cstick uair really fast. The speed needed is insane. I can do it almost consistently, but I definitely don't get it totally right. Most of the times I'll barely just land on stage. I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe just practice and training muscles/speed, but I'd like your input.

Ok new question. What do I do against a recovering sheik to keep them away from the ledge?
I think the first page of the thread says a bit about this, unless you wanted something more specific? Generally (if she's a good distance away) you just want to grab ledge since she'll be forced on-stage and to her horrible lag. If you aren't in a position to grab ledge (i.e. she's recovering close), you can use dtilts or anything to kick her away again.

Or if you meant she still has her double jump and is trying to hit you off the ledge or something? I know that sometimes she'll try recovering directly above the ledge to bait out an early roll onto stage from you (if you don't roll, you can probably ledgehop nair her off). In those situations it's kind of a guessing game based on what you know of the Sheik.

Last edited:

CanadianBakn

Smash Rookie
He knows about the crouching, and that's why I never, EVER go for grabs. It sucks, because I rely on grabs a lot, and in order to play puff, I have to change up my playstyle a ton, and I think that's what kills me. Thank you so much for the grab advice, I'll definitely see if I can safely add that to my gameplan.

So safely fsmashing like a mad-man is legit then? That's really helpful if that's the case.
My Marth isn't fantastic yet, but to chime in on your comment about grabbing:

The way I see it against Puffs at my level, is you're trying to make them sheild. You punish them for aerialing versus you with good fair spacing. You move around a lot and feel slippery. The Puff gets scared. She's going to stay grounded more. Now, if she's really good, this means pretty much always crouch cancelling and rarely sheilding. But, most Puffs at your level won't know the matchup. They will start to shield.

We can abuse this. Make notes of when the player shields. Most puffs will have a pattern, like every time they come down from a recovery or platform, or after a certain string of aerials and Marth is approaching. You can mix in empty hops into your neutral to make them sheild. (By the way, short hop no fast fall "I'm gonna fair when you approach me puff" is pretty sweet in this matchup).

Now here is how you actually abuse this: learn your grab setups. Like, all of them, there are a lot on Puff. You have stuff at 40-50%, then you have stuff at 60-70%, then you have stuff at 90%. You have multiple options that cover different DIs. Any % earlier than 40% you should just rack up some damage. The more you practice and the more you know, the better.

That's my philosophy to the matchup, and it's my best matchup. I hover around 15th-20th on PR locally, but take games off of a Puff who is around 4th simply because I know my tipper setups, and I play a very campy, patient Marth, and then abuse when my opponent shields. And I don't even know my grab setups perfectly yet and I'm sure I have **** spacing.

Last edited:

tomom90

Smash Rookie
Practice upairing on Battlefield's platforms to cover tech options, practice waveland onto platforms to grab to mixup the opponent on a platform (uair, utilt, waveland->grab), never miss sh uair to tipper top platforms on YS and FoD. Practice uthrow uair on Falcon/fox/falco on FD. Overuse dolphin slash to end combos early, overuse early tippers (in practice). Practice techchasing on falcon. Practice nairing in combos from 40-60 percent on spacies, practice tippering with fairs, and you shouldn't ever miss an uair tipper if you want it. higher percents, you can sourspot fair->dair, sourspot uair->fsmash, ~70 you can uthrow tipper fsmash spacies, mid 50s-mid 70s you can uthrow->tipper fsmash falcon. On floaties you can use nair to combo at lower percents, on sheik, uair juggling is best usually. On kadano's thread he has fthrow followups on jiggs at 90. Practice sh double fair, sh fair->uair. Practice wavelands on all the platformed stages, practice gimping fox/falco/falcon on dthrow.
Sour spot fair? I don't understand Fairs or the 'setup fair'
how many different types of fairs are there?
Is the speed of putting out the fair from SH important in setting up for comboes? (I.E it sends falco/fox diagonally upwards but not to far away from you)
I can practice shuffling Uairs for days soloing with marth but as soon as you put a fox/falco on the recieving end I mess up FF or LC alot (although after getting a setup a week ago have improved alot)

What should I do when a fox falco DI's behind on an Uthrow at 45%-65% (If he DI's forwards I can uair to regrab/chain) but backwards what ends up happening is I can't turn around dash Uair intime to hit. normally I just end up jumping backwards and Uairing (which is useless) should I be Fairing here? or is there no choice but to regrab?
Marths Dash after an uthrow, what are the lag frames? (even if I knew I wouldn't know how to impliment it) obviously you can't dash right after you input Uthrow, but often I think I am late, or to early and I end up not dashing but preforming the rest of the sequence (uair) and just doing a forward DI'd Uair.

Last edited:

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that Forward B loses its effectiveness after just using it in the air.
For example,
ledge drop forward B, the move noticeable changes your vertical momentum
grab ledge and repeat
the move's vertical momentum change is drastically different.

Anyone know the reason why this happens and how to bypass it?

Bounce N Back

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new to the smash community and this site, so I apologize if this has been asked (or should be asked) somewhere else. I've basically got a general idea of what each technical option has in terms of its benefits, (wavedashing, shffling, pivot grabs, power-shielding, etc) and have been implementing them all pretty well in terms of neutral game and starting combos so far. But one tool that I really feel like I am under utilizing, especially as a Marth main, is dash dancing. Outside of tech chases, I really have no idea how to apply this in the neutral game. I really don't see how running back an forth is any more or less advantageous then just standing or approaching. If anyone could break this down for me in terms of the neutral game, or even give me reliable options out of dash dancing for Marth, that'd be great.

Last edited:

Meru

Smash Cadet
@ T tomom90 If we're speaking in hitboxes, there are 4 different active frames, 4 hitboxes each, so 16 different fair hits. But it also depends on which part of the hitboxes you're striking the opponent with, what angle they're at, and how they've been DI'ing. For all intensive purposes, assume there are an infinite number of fair's - this is why people never answer the "how do I ken combo the best way" question - it's impossible to say until after each unique situation has presented itself.
That being said, I think it's very important you understand how certain fair hitboxes behave. Namely:
1. The top hitbox, so you can hit people with the top without reversing them: https://gfycat.com/FreshThinAntbear#?frameNum=4
2. When second active frame's tipper and mid-sword hitboxes are at about 45 degrees for lower and higher percent combos, respectively:https://gfycat.com/FreshThinAntbear#?frameNum=5
3. When the second/third active frame's tipper hitbox is about level with marth's shoulder (seen as the tipper's lowermost hitbox in the above link).
For 2., these are important because they are the most commonly used hits in combos to bring people to edges
For 3., This is really good for popping people straight up if they're caught DI'ing improperly (which happens more often than you'd think, especially if you get them with it when they're grounded - it leads into more fair's, an fsmash, a dair, a dolphin slash)

The "speed of putting out the fair from SH" doesn't matter as long as you hit the person with the part of the fair you want to. But if you often find yourself in situations where you need to put out a fair really quickly from sh, I would recommend practicing SH double fair. Of course, you need to Lcancel the second fair, and don't fastfall at all for this. But if you get pretty good at it, then you should be able to see marth's sword be horizontal with his shoulder before you hit the ground (on the second fair). If you can do that, then it means you're within 1-2 frames of being frame perfect in doing a sh instant fair. So in these cases you want a really quick tipper from SH, just do the SH instant fair, then ff and lcancel it (instead of not fastfalling and doing the second fair, though SH double fair does have plenty of uses).

As for Fox, when about 28- ~35% (before uthrow happens), you can utilt (if he does no di, aka goes straight up, it's usually better to turn around utilt first, they go almost straight up). At this point depending on percent:
1. Assuming you utilt them off a grab between 28-32%. You can regrab and then -
Start upairing or fairing at this point - if they barely DI, you might get an utilt (It won't hit full DI either behind or in front of you at this percent). When they DI behind you, you should be able to dash back/turnaround/sh (while drifting backwards) tipper uair. You might also find the 2. fair hitboxes to work decently.
2. Assuming you utilt them off a grab around 32-35/36, it's probably better to just shffl tipper uairs.

For falco, the rule of thumb is add about 8%, but you'll eventually get more used to his specifics as well.

Marth's Uthrow is a weight dependent throw, if you really want to find lag frames after it, you can use this: http://smashboards.com/threads/detailed-throws-techs-and-getups-frame-data.206469/
But practically speaking, I like to watch the DI of the opponent for just after the throw starts. Because they can't drift in the air until out of hitstun, it doesn't actually do anything for you to keep on watching them - just be able to tell if you need to do a turnaround regrab, pivot grab, or dash forward/back grab. So after you spot their DI, look at marth. Go into training and uthrow somebody at 1/4 speed while only looking at marth. You can tell when the uthrow ends by when his throwing arm (I don't remember if he throws with his left or right arm, I think it's right, but it doesn't matter at all) goes back down to his side. So uthrow someone at 1/4 speed and hold the control stick a direction to see when he walks out - the first step he takes is the first time you can act out of a throw. Also - just watching marth's arm go back down always works - it always goes back down the moment you can move again. So just watch his animation until you get used to uthrow lag on certain characters (i still do it when I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, like uthrow tipper uairing falcon with only 2 frames of leniency), and then you can dash.
*Btw, for turnaround regrab at early percents, you can always just hold down the direction (left/right) you want marth to face while he's in uthrow lag, and it'll buffer his turnaround, which is much easier, consistent (and unless you're a frame monster) and faster (buffering and doing it perfectly are the same anyway...).*

@ R Rlagkrud
Getting some additional upwards momentum from the first dancing blade hit happens when you have a "flag". It is used up when you first use the side b in air (otherwise marth would have a ridiculous recovery). To refresh the flag, you have to land on the ground - The flag is then refreshed. However, the flag is not refreshed if you hit the ground while doing a move - even if you L-cancel ur aerials. The exceptions would be when you touch the ground in the middle of dancing blade itself. I'm not sure about if it's refreshed from falling from upb or if doing a shieldbreaker, but i'll check and come back, or you can check it urself.
ALSO - you can refresh it from a wavedash (even if it's a perfect wavedash and you don't leave the ground). So the flag should also be refreshed if you just straight up airdodge into the ground.

@ Bounce N Back Bounce N Back
Be honest, you should probably just read some of PPMD's stuff about dash dancing and the neutral game. But it essentially comes down to this:
You're against an opponent who stands still until he's ready to attack you, at which point he dashes at you. It's extremely easy to distinguish between something not moving, and moving. You then react by dashing away, jabbing, etc.
You're against an opponent who dash dances until he's ready to attack you, at which point he dashes at you. Because he was always moving, it's harder to be sure when he's really going to come at you. It keeps him moving in/out of your/his ranges (which ill explain below) and makes it harder for you to know when he'll attack.

People usually think of pressure as something like Hax's Octuple shines, Westballz shield pressure, or Mango/Hax nair shines. But you can also exert pressure by dash dancing. Let's consider Fox. His largest effective range to be afraid of, is how much distance his dash->shffl nair covers. Let's say it covers distance X pixels. You're just as safe from that attack at X+1 pixels, as you are across all of Dreamland. He can't hit you with it either way - you're just as safe. So why not be at X+1 pixels? By moving in/out of his range, you're pressuring him to attack, then not, then attack, then not. It might throw him off. Also, by dashing into him,dashing back, dashing in, you're putting him into YOUR range, and out of it. Melee neutral game has everything to do with making options available. But not necessarily acting on them. as marth, your range is dash attack (though not recommended), shffl fair, and dash->JC grab. So by dashing into him, you have more of a potential to grab him, which can freak him out. By dashing back, you're relieving THAT pressure, but at the same time, pressuring him to jump at you with nair or something like that. Pressure isn't just making people not able to do something and locking them down. It's forcing them down certain trains of thought and action. Maybe they'll throw a nair at you when you're dashing back, and when they whiff, you can grab. It didn't just happen. Look at everything that happens in the game as something that happened for a reason. He attacked and whiffed because he was pressured to attack you when you moved away from him. Keeping a good dash dance makes it ambiguous as to what your options are, and when people are approaching you, then you're moving in/out of their range. If you get closer, and they try to attack, you can move back out of their range again, and they're stuck in their move's ending lag. It's an endless game of baiting them to attack, and and endless game of making them want to back off. And they can only back off up to a certain point - they'll run out of stage eventually, at which point they can jump off the edge and SD (...), or they can try dashing through or jumping on platforms or something. You don't need to attack here - by dash dancing them up to the edge, they already feel pressure. They feel pressure to get out of the situation, which means moving recklessly into your range and making an opening for you attack, or attacking you recklessly and getting dash dance grabbed or fsmashed or jabbed, etc.
Standing still does none of this. Maybe if you fast walk, they'll feel a little pressure, but we can get used to something consistent. Dash dancing keeps things ambiguous. So just standing doesn't exert the same pressure on them, and makes it very easy to see what you're doing - inaction->action is much easier to see than action->different action.

Hope that makes sense!
Also, great options out of dash dance are (maybe most importantly) JC grabs, then run in dtilt->run back, (sometimes) shffl aerials such as fair, pivot fsmash, or even run in every once in a while and shield and wavedash back OOS to see how they react. Shield Pivots can be good to stop momentum in a dash dance when people telegraph their attacks - once they hit your shield, you can dair OOS, and depending on orientation, bair OOs, fair OOs, nair OOS, UpB OOS.

ED: forgot to mention nair OOS

Last edited:

tomom90

Smash Rookie
@ T tomom90 If we're speaking in hitboxes, there are 4 different active frames, 4 hitboxes each, so 16 different fair hits. But it also depends on which part of the hitboxes you're striking the opponent with, what angle they're at, and how they've been DI'ing. For all intensive purposes, assume there are an infinite number of fair's - this is why people never answer the "how do I ken combo the best way" question - it's impossible to say until after each unique situation has presented itself.
Thankyou so much for your reply. You put alot of time and effort into it and I appreciate it greatly. I'm afraid I don't quite understand the Fair images, is there a video which shows them all being used? (I sort of 40% understand) I have another question, well two. If you wouldn't mind!. Firstly, I have a big problem with FF and LC with marth (please note im not 'new' I have been playing for around a year and a half, what I'm trying to say is that I haven't just started and that I have practiced all this stuff). Marth's Uairs and airials in general are not like other characters, its very hard to get muscle memory on Uair FF/LC when there are so many different timings and such. I can Uair shuffle all day with marth solo (I.E without an animal above my head). but for some reason during comboes. I will always mess something up, despite being able to do perfect shuffles in solo. be in the dash from grabs (which I understand and will now use your help to help me with thankyou!) the FF or the LC, I will always mess up something. I have practiced (resonantly about 8 hours or so in last week since getting 20xx) just poking fox up to 45% and then Uairing him trying to perfect Uair shuffles, and I still struggle alot. An Uair at 45% requires different timings then one at 70% right? I know this but yet I still mess up a lot. I have began to improve consistency with the Uairs on my TV but after going to my friends and playing an active player (although I practice against 20xx fox) It all went to rubbish again. Personally I think due to the size of the TV compared to mine. How would I best correct this? I am already doing what I can but I mean you would think after a year or so I could FF L cancel pretty easily.. so its quite frustrating knowing I can shield drop and yet mess up L cancels and FFs. My second question is how to improve in Neutral. In general my neutral game is very bad, I feel very boxed in. for example I DD at the start of the game, fox comes in to attack, (or I dash towards fox, he comes in to Nair I DD back) I am facing away from him in dash animation, and in order for me to turn around again to face him I need to DD towards him, gives him a free nair/shine. What I did notice I don't do, is just DD back turn around (not DD forwards) is that what I should be doing? What I want to do is turn around and do a well spaced Fair, but im in DD back animation. I'm sorry if this makes no sense. maybe I will send you a vid sometime of me playing. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited:

Meru

Smash Cadet
@ T tomom90
Sorry, I don't know where I'd find videos of the hitboxes on in the middle of combos ]:
The Uair (and all aerials, for that matter) have different FF and Lcancel "timings", depending on how you want to hit the opponent (intuitively, you would have to delay the FF sometimes, and the Lcancel timing relative to when u first jumped would change as well).
The L cancel is 7 frames lenient (you must hit L/R/Z within 7 frames of hitting the ground). I will say that the only way to get truly used to it is to just keep on practicing - there's no trick for this one. But one thing you might also want to keep in mind - LCancel frames don't care about you - hitlag detracts from your time. unstaled tipper fair and uair do 13 damage. Plug that into the hitlag equation, and you have 7 frames of hitlag. That means that if you hit L/R/Z as soon as your fair/uair hit the opponent, you would have to be touching the ground the exact next frame to get an l-cancel. Which in practice, means you should be l-canceling after your move connects (but while you are in hitlag). Also, I'm not sure if a 45% uair is guaranteed on Fox (I feel like it would be, but it sounds difficult nevertheless). It's certainly different from 70%. 45% requires a pretty fast uair, while 70% means waiting a little bit before jumping, and then upairing (not necessarily quickly from jump).

I could be completely wrong, but when you say he has a bigger TV than you, I immediately think that he might have an HDTV. If you both play on CRT's, ignore what i say in this paragraph, but otherrwise:
CRT's, or Cathode Ray Tubes TV sets take the information given from the console and immediately display them as it is told, no fuss with anything, it does its job.
HDTV's, however, no matter how good, will have some lag. This is because they take the information and then manipulate and reformat it to fit the screen resolution in the way it wants (even in game mode). This can cause a couple frames lag, which can make a huge difference in your play. It's why CRT's ONLY are used at tourney. While HDTV's have a couple frames of lag, CRT's literally have around 1-2/5000 second of lag. Pretty small if you ask me.
And to correct the issue: it might just be harder when ur playing someone (I am more consistent chaingrabbing a computer than a person doing the exact same things as a computer), or it may be the TV. In case 1, just practice - no way around it. Case 2, tv lag is always bad, but I'm not sure how you would go about fixing it (unless u get someone a CRT).

As for the neutral game, you can always counter if he becomes REALLY obvious. Or, you can do the less common side b (you can do this from the middle of a dash, which makes it like a slightly worse, but more convenient version of your jab.
Dash back turn around is the bread and butter kind of response to undershot/whiffed attacks, as it allows for a whole host of options: grab, fsmash, fair,etc. JC grab being the most important. one thing that's also good is dash back turnaround shield - if he's not on top of it you can get a shield grab. Otherwise, you can always roll out.
Don't forget about shield pivots! they're good, though rarely utilized. PPU uses them a decent amount, you should watch him (in general anyway) and look at when he shield pivots. If you shield pivot, you can just SH out, fair.
Also, at the beginning of matches, depending on starting positions, you should actively try to gain center stage and go from there instead of DD'ing and getting cornered more easily.

But yeah, only thing I can say for FF/lcancel messups is to practice. Just good old fashioned practice will get it done eventually. I miss dair Lcancels all the time as well. But you should put up something on the marth video thread as well! Its hard to talk about neutral without some material, but I said what I could.

Hope it helps!

Kirias

Smash Rookie
Pretty nooby Marth here, I can't get a handle on how sweet/sour spots change the angle of how someone is sent flying. With that said, how do I use the sweet/sour spots to my advantage?

AirFair

Marth tho
well, depends on the move. If we translate sweet spot to "hitting with the tip", taking advantage of it is not too hard. Tipped fsmashes are goo to hit for kills. A tipper down air is a spike. The ken combo is usually a tipper fair into the tippered dair. Tipped fairs will send them flying upwards for that to work. A tippered dsmash is a pretty good mixup/kill move, sending them straight up into the blast zone. a tippered uair is good for juggilng, sending them up higher for more juggling. Tippered dtilt is great for edgeguarding well.

Using the tipper in play is just postioning/spacing, when you play more you will know what moves you want to tipper in certain situations. One example is doing a sourspot fair, and then a tipper uair to combo someone in the air. Another example is a tipped uptilt into a dair spike. It's just circumstantial.

Ok, my question is: how do I do the side b spike in the air? when I saw m2k do it, he did all 3 strikes very fast. I know it's the third hit going down, but can I get specifics please?

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to competitive melee and plan on maining Marth. Is there any specific techniques or anything I should be practicing with him first?

AirFair

Marth tho
Besides basic tech (which is universal for all characters.) you should learn to use Marth's great movement. His wavedash and dashdance are both really good. Just learn to move around the stage and whatnot. I know it's shameless adventising, but go find my resource thread in the Marth boards. You can find good stuff there. The Marth trials video would probably be the best thing to get you started.

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
Besides basic tech (which is universal for all characters.) you should learn to use Marth's great movement. His wavedash and dashdance are both really good. Just learn to move around the stage and whatnot. I know it's shameless adventising, but go find my resource thread in the Marth boards. You can find good stuff there. The Marth trials video would probably be the best thing to get you started.
Thx! I will check that out! I love how people are so responsive and helpful in the smash community, and I don't mind u advertising. You've been around a lot on smash boards giving advice, and I don't doubt that a thread made by you would be helpful. Thx for the advice again!

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
Short hop double aerial

Learn your follow ups off of grab on every character

Practice dash dancing often
Awesome!

I'll definitely look into the last two a bit, didn't really think about much in terms of grabs other than i can chaingrab fast fallers and get up tilt strings and stuff.

So ya thanks again!

TheBestinWestPalmBeach

Smash Rookie
Awesome!

I'll definitely look into the last two a bit, didn't really think about much in terms of grabs other than i can chaingrab fast fallers and get up tilt strings and stuff.

So ya thanks again!
As far as grab follow ups, you really need to be on point with these imo:
1. Chain throws on spacies: this is the entire matchup pretty much because you'll be trying to make sh nair whiff from fox or powershield laser into grab on falco. You can find specifics elsewhere but know how to get them to 36%, how to pivot grab, when to up tilt, when to up air, and when you can tipper them based on DI.

2. Shiek: You'll want to be crouch canceling dash attack often in this matchup, so knowing throw follow ups can really help even up the punish game (key to winning this matchup). Shiek has a super easy weight + fall speed for comboing, so you can go for up throw to up tilt / up air at early percents and she's not great at coming down so juggling is effective as well.

3. Peach: Same MO as Shiek, but your dash dance shines more against Peach so even more throws. Outside of early percents you'll want to up throw IMO because Peach's options coming down are meh at best so she has to guess right to touch the ground. At early percents you have a DI mixup between forward throw and down throw (correct DI for one option is awful DI for the other). A free tipper can lead to some easy gimmick kills which really are important against a character that relies on the attrition of living as long as Peach does. Also, forward throw to sh tipper fair to combo practice is possible on her.

4. Marth: Probably most important thing in this matchup. Basically from 0 percent both Marth's want to grab each other. At early percents forward throw on Marth is GG (0% - 6% the forward throw to grab combo is either always possible OR super hard to avoid I'm not sure). Up throw is great as well since Marth only has down air to guess with. The whole matchup is just neutral to grab mainly or rarely a fair/dash attack to 0 to death since Marth edgeguards himself to effectively.

5. Puff: You won't grab puff as often in my experience, but it's decent when you do. I mainly go for the cheesy downthrow/forward throw to follow up mix up.

6. Ice Climbers: don't grab them

7. Falcon: I hate falcon. I need to further look into what options grab gives you, but you can go for tech chases mainly from up throw or down throw. At later percents up throw has unavoidable follow ups but I am still in the dark on what exactly works.

AirFair

Marth tho
Falcon is said to have one touch kills on Marth. Those down throw chaingrabs are just painful. Just learn to DI some of those aerials and play a very patient game. I think after 10-15% you can go for uthrow chaingrabs.

Top Bottom