• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Sytos

Smash Apprentice
That sounds awfully defensive. Does the dd grab always work? You'd have to mindgame it though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. I mean really. What does a guy have to do?

I'm trying my best to clean up these forums and people seem oblivious. lmao.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Maybe. I'm gonna pm Ryoko and ask him to sticky the threads I made. That should help somewhat.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
The Q&A thread is usually among the top threads, the people just aren't taking the time to look for a thread asking their question or a question thread in general, they are in a hurry to create a thread for some reason.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
It might be 40 seconds. I may have even said it was 40 seconds in another thread. :laugh:

Although I think that was in reference to spamming the L-button to tech something. This is the delay before being able to tech again, not the delay from a failed tech.
It's 40 frames/ 2/3s of a second. I'm sure that's what you meant. It may be that there is two seconds before you can tech again, I haven't heard of it, I'm not sure how long it takes to tech, fall, and up-B again, but I've edge-teched many times in a row with the exact same timing, so whether or not you can't tech twice within a specific period of time shouldn't mess it up for me, or at least not specifically on the fourth or fifth time every single time. Maybe I am just messing up, but I play a LOT of Marth dittos, and I edge-tech a lot against my smash-happy edge-guarding friend. I do like a four or five techs in a row thing an average of two times a match, and I play hundreds of matches. That's a really big coincidence that I **** up on the fourth or fifth time EVERY SINGLE TIME. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was programmed to **** you up after a while. I understand this is a really hard question to answer though, especially because there is still the chance I'm just ****ing up. I just really doubt that I am.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I doubt the game ****s you up after a while, if you pick Fox on final D and have Peach downsmash you (dsmash pulls you into the stage) you can do the tech well over 10 times. It's a good point to note that Fox has a long UpB time activation. I doubt that they personally made it so that Marth couldn't tech after a certain period. I believe the most likely options are you tech to soon after the previous tech, or that by your 4th and 5th techs Marth is at such a high % that if you don't smash DI it Marth gets thrown from the side of the stage too fast for the tech to register.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I've known about fast falling to decrease the time till grabbing the ledge for a while. Husband said down and in, like there is an extra part in addition to fast falling. I'll have to ask M2K on dc++ since he is the technical guru of Smash.
What I am doing just doesn't seem as fast as what Husband and M2K did. No, I'm positive it's not as fast. There is something beyond just fast falling.
Just for the record I get all my marth knowledge from husband, via UMBC's posts and comments lol.

<3 husb&

Provided you get the bouncing animation on a wall or floor you can always tech.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
hahaha I do have this problem of having or wanting to voice things I learn. I can understand why (some) pros keep things to themselves and sandbag people to keep them from learning their new tricks. I'd better learn to keep my mouth shut or people won't tell me their secret techniques... lolz

KyloWinter

Smash Ace
What are your feelings on Fair to jump to reverse UpB for a kill? I use it when a tipped Fair sends them too high for a Dair or when a non-tipped Fair sends them a short distance in front of me. It's really novel and flashy, but I haven't seen anyone do the combo or anything similar with a reverse Upb in the air.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info Emblem Lord:) . M2K, could you or anyone else with the knowledge please answer my question about percent ratings and movement during CGing-death a space animal?

Husband

Smash Lord
What are your feelings on Fair to jump to reverse UpB for a kill? I use it when a tipped Fair sends them too high for a Dair or when a non-tipped Fair sends them a short distance in front of me. It's really novel and flashy, but I haven't seen anyone do the combo or anything similar with a reverse Upb in the air.

It works if the Person is DIing into you. If you are fighting someone who knows how to fight against marth, it shouldnt work on them.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
It works if the Person is DIing into you. If you are fighting someone who knows how to fight against marth, it shouldnt work on them.
Yeah, also this technique is not new; I have done it by accident several times in the last month in marth dittos versus Freakachu. I think I meant to do a dair but hit B and somehow did a reverse up B. I was like... "yeah, look at that" :D

KyloWinter

Smash Ace
Makes sense since I orignally did it when messing around with a lvl1 computer and I've only tried using it on kids with bad DI.

skip430

Smash Cadet
Ok, a couple questions:
1. Why is Shiek a sort of counter against Marth? What advantages does Shiek have over Marth?

2. How important is it that I learn to wavedash with my Marth? I can kind of do it, just not consistently and in the heat of battle. Do I have to be able to do it to be a good Marth player?

3. Why is rolling with Marth bad?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
ok, Emblem Lord or husband or cactuar will probably answer these better than me, but im bored so here goes.

1. wavedashing with marth is useful, but ehh not necessary. I wavedash backwards if an opponent misses a tech. I run up to them to make them roll behind me, and then I wd back so they end up right in front of me and I fsmash. Things like that, really situational. Not necessary, just useful. Marth's wavedash is better than most other characters tho. My advice: Learn to WD. learn to do everything technical with every character. It will make you better overall and give you more options, like if you shield someone's fsmash and your out of range for a shieldgrab...Wavedash out of shield and grab them or dtilt them etc. WD'ing just gives you more options, and if you play this game competitively, your gonna end up learning it anyways. It will take a while to incorporate into your gameplay though. Learning how to wavedash and applying it are 2 entirely different things.

2. Rolling isn't bad. It's the way you use it. For example. A good use of rolling is if someone lands from a shuffled attack, meaning they L cancel, and starts jabbing away at your shield. Roll backwards since you can roll out of your shield and your invincible. On the other hand, using it pointlessly like rolling behing your opponent when he attacks...sure you made them miss the attack, but now your too far away and you have too much lag to follow up with an attack of your own. Also, rolling becomes predictable, and against better players if you roll a lot they will look psychic in how well they start to predict your roll. It's just slow, and easy to predict. Sometimes though, rolling is just a simple way to avoid sticky situations. Just don't go overboard with it.

3.Dont get me started on Sheik vs marth. lol Someone else can have the luxury of answering that one.

How do I practice short hopping with Marth? I have mastered the shffl, except for the "sh" part.
husband and EL have good advice, the only thing i would add is that i have found short hopping to be easier, for me at least, if i just rest the tip of my finger or nail on the edge of the Y or X button. just flick it with your nail and move your finger off. if you push your whole finger down you have to then lift it up, so i find the flick way faster.

good luck!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Shiek has several advantages over Marth that put the match up in her favor. I'll list them.

Her speed makes it easier for her to get inside Marth's range.

Her needles force Marth to approach, so he can't camp.

Needles really hurt Marth's recovery.

She can combo him very easily and give him alot of damage.

Her moves set up for easy kills. F-tilt, d-tilt, and d-throw all set up for her kill moves. D-throw works no matter what percent Marth is at.

Sheiks d-throw lets her combo Marth and he can't stop it no matter which way he DI's.

She can duck under his standing grab.

She can easlity punish a whiffed move by Marth. So if Marth makes a mistake he will either lose a stock or take alot of damage.

If anyone wants to add stuff I may have forgetten, then feel free to do so. I think I covered why Shiek has the advantage over Marth though.

How do I practice short hopping with Marth? I have mastered the shffl, except for the "sh" part.
husband and EL have good advice, the only thing i would add is that i have found short hopping to be easier, for me at least, if i just rest the tip of my finger or nail on the edge of the Y or X button. just flick it with your nail and move your finger off. if you push your whole finger down you have to then lift it up for i find the flick way faster.

good luck!

meepxzero

Smash Master
hmmm... perfect hero just reminded me of something i dont get works with marth.... So how do u do reverse nairs on shiek when edge guarding her and generally on everyone?

Velox

Smash Ace
Meep: You ledge hop it, and sort of cross over your opponent with it, and the backside of the n-air will send the opponent away from the stage in much the same manner that a reverse knee would work with Falcon.

tyjets212

Smash Rookie
Yeah, but I wouldn't advise it at the early stages of a smasher's development.

Just watch vidoes of pro Marth players (Ken, Azen, KM, etc.) and learn that way.
I have watched just about every combo/match with these talented smashers on youtube. But they don't explain the indepth things. I don't want Wak's guide. I have studied it. I want a Marth In-Depth video. If it is at all possible.:grin:

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
I have watched just about every combo/match with these talented smashers on youtube. But they don't explain the indepth things. I don't want Wak's guide. I have studied it. I want a Marth In-Depth video. If it is at all possible.:grin:
I'm working on a marth guide that should explain many things you wouldn't otherwise know how to do. It should be out within a month.

Silver Sytos

Smash Apprentice
What do i do vs. Doc mario? I heard I'm supposed to own him, but I don't know why people say Marth is a doc counter.

He's very floaty, so its hard to get him in my comboes. Up throw is a wasted throw since he's so floaty. I know fthrow chain grabbing -> fsmash works sometimes on noobs. Help please. :p

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You can easily move him across the stage with fairs. Tipped at low percents and then not tipped at higher percentages for easy comboing. He's also easy to Ken combo because of his weight and his range sucks compared to yours. He doesn't have any solid approach against you cause you can easily stop a pill rush with fairs. Edgeguarding him is also pretty easy. Just ledgehop a bair or dair on him. I personally like to use Doc to see how far I can go out for edgeguarding because he doesn't have many ways to interupt me.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Silver Sytos: What specifically are you having problems with against Doc?

Silver Sytos

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help.

I get in trouble whenever I try my ground game on Doc, such as JC grab or if he catches on to that then dash->wavedash past-> back grab, but he always seems to do the down smash which catches me anyway. Maybe the problem is that I need to do more aerial moves against doc or something.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You don't.

Seriously, if you start using it alot, it will be easily shielded or evaded. Use it when you know it can kill and only then, besides recovery of course.

Silver Sytos: Start abusing d-tilt more. Also shuffled fairs as well. Doc can't do much about Marth's range. Keep him out. Fair through pills. Dash at him like you will dash past him like usual, then wave dash back before you actually go through him. When he whiffs his down smash go for a grab or a tippered f-smash if it can kill. Always f-throw or d-throw to mess with his DI. Chase him with fairs after an f-throw, then end with a nair, a dair, or an f-smash.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering (JUST WONDERING). Is the reason the Ken combo is called that because Ken was the one who invented it, or because he was the first pro player to do it?

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Since no one answered my question, I'll just reword it. Are there any other effective edgeguard methods against Sheik that is better than Legdehopped Fair.

Another question, which is better for approaching? Dtilt or Ftilt?

Edit: Meant Nair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom