• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth movement

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
How does marth move the fastest? I was recently at my 2nd tournament and I felt that I was being run circles around and I know marth can be just as fast. I used a combination of dashes and wavedashes although they weren't perfect under the pressure of tournament play. I figure using a combination of dashes wavedashes and wavelands can make you fast and unpredictable but I'm confused about what combinations I should use for approach or retreating(baiting). If you needed to go the opposite direction that you are currently dashing or wavedashing you would need to wavedash away because it would slow you by dashing correct? I have tried to study advanced marth movement in videos but alas I get confused on what kind of dash is being used.

I'm sorry if this is confusing to anyone I'd be more than happy to clarify if need be.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I would say keep watching and then keep applying. I watched M2K's Marth vs Armada at Genesis about 61 times(truth). As well as other vids and It didn't make sense until I figure it out. That kind of movement with Marth is not for an action it's a reaction. When you dance like that you have to do so in a free flowing manner. "Be like Water" As Bruce Lee would say. "Water can flow or it can crash" Meaning you can be swift and fast and focus on dodging, Then suddenly deliver powerful attacks. That may not help much but for me I just tried to focus on the movement itself until it is as effortless as walking. Then practice transitions between that movement and grabs or attacks. It may seem like it's worlds away but once you get the basics down you won't feel as lost.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I've mastered what I like to call Ganon dashing. It's short hop fastfall wavelanding for movement, and it's quite effective :awesome:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
That is a nifty trick to have up your sleeve. Marth's Movement is Marth. More so then his Double Fairs, Ken Combo's, and grab range.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah, I timed it and it's faster than dashing or simply wavedashing.
Not to be argumentative, but I seriously doubt this. you can get more than 2 standard wavedashes out in the time you jump shff waveland, and I seriously doubt the distance from the waveland is long enough to compensate.

4 frames - jump animation
26 frames - fastest possible shff with marth
10 frames - lag during wavedash

14 frames for a wavedash and 40 frames for shff waveland

Van.

Smash Ace
Not to be argumentative, but I seriously doubt this. you can get more than 2 standard wavedashes out in the time you jump shff waveland, and I seriously doubt the distance from the waveland is long enough to compensate.

4 frames - jump animation
26 frames - fastest possible shff with marth
10 frames - lag during wavedash

14 frames for a wavedash and 40 frames for shff waveland
I thought you liked being argumentative? Its awesome.

Also aren't you never supposed to wavedash right into your oponnent? It seems like all Marths good approaches that aren't shuffled are dash cancelled dtilts and JC grabs. Maybe Dash attack in some matchups? I only use wavedashing when moving away from my opponent or positioning when dealing with projectile spam or something. What reason is there to wavedash towards your opponent?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I thought you liked being argumentative? Its awesome.

Also aren't you never supposed to wavedash right into your oponnent? It seems like all Marths good approaches that aren't shuffled are dash cancelled dtilts and JC grabs. Maybe Dash attack in some matchups? I only use wavedashing when moving away from my opponent or positioning when dealing with projectile spam or something. What reason is there to wavedash towards your opponent?
Wavedash dtilt is ****ing amazing dawg

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah id argue that marth should almost always be wavedashing for movement simply because its faster, less laggy and more controllable.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
If those lol master vs m2k matches are still up you can see perfecct dd spacing
I swear he only Wds to edgehog, rest is just dding

Also tai has some sick *** movement/gimmicks, crazy nice marth

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Tai has a pretty good future. IMO I think Tink has the best movement of all Marth's I've seen recently and I've seen....to much.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
A good example of my marth movement is the set of me vs cort at evo east. Ancient videos, but my movement was ridiculous, especially in the second match.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Cactuar. You really laid out some legit movement. If anyone has any other great video examples of marths movement feel free to put them here.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I didn't think Cactuar liked Marth anymore. Hi Cactuar :p

I will change my words. Saying who has the best movement is an arbitrary statement. I will just say that I personally like Tink's movement. As well as Strawhat's. they are similar imo. They have a combination of great movement and intelligent movement.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I'd like to point out that wavedashing actually isn't a very safe option, and you're especially vulnerable at the beginning (at least that's what I read in a guide somewhere)

Also, another option (related to OP's question) for turning around after your dash dance animation is crouching to reset your dash so you can dash dance back. If you do it fast enough you barely see the crouch, and apparently because of wavedashing's vulnerability it's an alternative good option.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Well honestly thats no more safe than wavedashing because you can't crouch cancel your dash until your initial dash animation is complete which is probably just as long a downtime as wavedashing. I've been working on my movement and its greatly improved. I really enjoy the videos of tink and cactuar. Not much is wasted and is very effective.

Top Bottom