• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Discussion Thread

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I've got the rank names all set up, I just need to make sigs for them all there's 10 ranks in total, all the main ones have 13 options each (one for each of the main FE game classes. going down the list, from 2nd class to first) (main ones, ranks 5-10) ranks 1-4 are special ranks which I will be appointing certain members to. Some of them will also be assigned a royal weapon. (ranks 1-3) so you've got something to look forward to!

As for making them, I should have too much trouble the only ones that have to be personalized are the first 13 ranks, and they seriously don't take me much time. I might have the first two or three done late tonight after I get back from work
Awesome. d(' 'd)

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
what the hell do you guys talk about in here
marth is from smash bros, not fire emblems

Okysho

Smash Ace
WTF Are you smoking? Look at Marth's trophy in SSBM if you don't want to do the research. He's the first main character from Fire Emblem when it was released back in 1991 for NES. I can provide screencaps as proof from all his games and other media that he was in.

Seriously! That was the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard!

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
Shall we declare March 9th "Marth 9th"?
They already did it over at Shoryuken.com (my main forum) for the Brawl thread, so I don't see why not. :laugh:
Really? AWESOME! :bigthumbu

I've got the rank names all set up, I just need to make sigs for them all there's 10 ranks in total, all the main ones have 13 options each (one for each of the main FE game classes. going down the list, from 2nd class to first) (main ones, ranks 5-10) ranks 1-4 are special ranks which I will be appointing certain members to. Some of them will also be assigned a royal weapon. (ranks 1-3) so you've got something to look forward to!

As for making them, I should have too much trouble the only ones that have to be personalized are the first 13 ranks, and they seriously don't take me much time. I might have the first two or three done late tonight after I get back from work
Sounds good. :)

Oh, and Okysho, I've got a screenshot proving Marth's originally from the "Fire Emblem" games right here:

It's that one shot of "Fire Emblem 3" in the Japanese Dojo's version of the "Masterpieces" update...the one that gave us Marth fans an honest-to-goodness beacon of hope for his return!

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Really? AWESOME!

Oh, and Okysho
It's that one shot of "Fire Emblem 3" in the Japanese Dojo's version of the "Masterpieces" update...the one that gave us Marth fans an honest-to-goodness beacon of hope for his return!
Wait, we didnt have an honest-to-goodness beacon of hope for his return -before- then?

<_< >_>

I think not.

what the hell do you guys talk about in here
marth is from smash bros, not fire emblems

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
well ill play Brawl in a hour or so... i will come back with my impressions later in the night.
Woo!

I just need afew things...

Is Hyrule about the same size as before, or is it smaller/bigger?

Does Usmash when your opponent is next to you still put them at good range for an Fsmash? (Marth's Sword = Shorter.. so.. I NEED TO KNOW THIS)

And Utilt. is it still awesome?

Sorry. I gotta know these things.

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
Wait, we didnt have an honest-to-goodness beacon of hope for his return -before- then?

<_< >_>

I think not.
Well, it's just that I was doubtful of it (though a teeny part of me DID hope he'd come back), so my stumbling across that pic when I went to the Japanese Dojo to see about their Tokyo vs Kyoto video was a truly awesome moment for me. :chuckle:

:laugh: Oooooooookay, I think we've had enough fun at his expense. :p ;)

Okysho

Smash Ace
actually, not really... You can only post something if your post has 10 chatacters in it. (letters numberw whatever. If you do a post that doesn't it won't let you post it, so people put 10 char under their post so that it equals 10 or more characters... it has nothing to do with secrets...

StarryMight: I always knew that Marth was from an old school Fire Emblem game, as I said before I've beaten part 1 of it, I was just really lazy to get a screenshot, but thanks anyways.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
actually, not really... You can only post something if your post has 10 chatacters in it. (letters numberw whatever. If you do a post that doesn't it won't let you post it, so people put 10 char under their post so that it equals 10 or more characters... it has nothing to do with secrets...

StarryMight: I always knew that Marth was from an old school Fire Emblem game, as I said before I've beaten part 1 of it, I was just really lazy to get a screenshot, but thanks anyways.
And people put spoiler blocks around it because...

1) It dosent need to be read
2) It can get sorta anoying
3) It blends in alot better if it isnt there
4) Spoiler blocks only tempt you to highlight it

Okysho

Smash Ace
So anyways, I was watching an Ike Vs. Marth video on Final destination. Awesome matchup might I say, but I was suprised at how easy it was for both Marth and Ike to recover. I also like how there wasn't much edgeguarding going on since that's my play style, but whatever...

Anyways, if you all take a good look at SNBM's siggy you can see that I've started working on the Defender's of Akanea ranks I have four done. (one for me one for SNBM) but I also have two open spots for the special, top ranks, "Apostle of the Royal Heart" which features Sheeda and the Iote Shield and "Master of the Stars" which features Marich and the Starlight tome. Prove yourselves worthy and you may yet find yourself with a top rank!

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
garbagemblem, that's not marth, that's princess mars

marth from smash bros
smash brooooo

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
garbagemblem, that's not marth, that's princess mars

marth from smash bros
smash brooooo
dude, mariuana is bad for your health (and for your money). And ya' know there is a slight chance that sakurai it's a fan of Marth Lowell or he loves his fighting stile (that explains his buffs instead of nerfs).

Count Alphez

Smash Rookie
some people should shut the crap up.

i merely came here ot say that marths my favourite character, i'll main him again, i highly doubt that a character could be created in brawl that would better suit my style of play. ive checked them all, believe me. i only use one character in battle... marth

Okysho

Smash Ace
There's a youtube video of all the taunts for all the characters. I've seen them before. He keeps his one from Melee and I tihnk another he raises his sword and it just shines... I can't remember what the thirs is, I'll have to watch the video again

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Brawl

well i already played brawl yesterday.... ill give a brief info on what i saw and felt.

I had not the chance to play like i would have liked because there were like 15+ pople that i didnt know in the room,

Well, like most have pointed, the games feels very very different. Since the start i tried using marth and i noticed that even when he feels very similar, is not the same.

One thing i want to say is something i noticed from the start, and was what m2king said. The game sometimes tend to get campy, very.
With the lack of L-cancelling, you have tot hink more than twice what you will o when attacking because the shieldgrab is a real nightmare. Spacing is crucial now more than ever.
I sometimes played with a particular guy using lucario, that guy was the epitome of camping and with the weird hitboxes of lucario , it was hell to land a hit on him. So well, we will have to leran how to deal with this.

About marth, well i liked what i saw.... His knockback in moves have changed drastically. If marth had this knockback in melee, eh would have been godly! :D. His fair, his dash attack the ftilt his up smash and tilt... all of this moves can ko and have very nice knockback. Also his nair is very nice.

What i liked most if marth was tthe dancing blade, it connect very well and surprise the enemy. The first 3 hits of the move are almost secured to land, and the last one well the enemy can dodge it but it has fair chance of also hitting. The shield breaker is prety nice, with nice knockback but harder to connect. In one match, i as fighting a jigglypuff, I charged the shieldbraker to 3/4 of max power.... and it destroyed the puffs shield sending him to his doom.
The dolphin blow out of shield works wonder.

Another thing i noticed is the random tripping issue. I coudnt figure out how it worked, it just seems to be random, Sometimes i was just standing and tried to just dash forward, and marth just tripped and fell to the ground. It was kind of annoying. Sometimes i got free hits because of this.

Marth final smash like all know, is desturctive. I used it ona peach in shadow moses and she bounced against the walls like 5 or 6 times from side to side before going out sky rocketed. It was awesome.

Marth recover is different but is still very good. The side B indeed doesnt help much like in melee, but upb range and the easier edhogging kind of make up for this one.

on side notes
I also tried metaknight,lucas, bowser,pit, all of them are very good chars and fun as hell, specially koopa. The bowserside is owning. Sadly i had no idea of what i was doing with all of them.

There was a particular stage with that legendary pokemon in the background. The stage itself morphed randomly...and also altered your position in the map telporting you. The stage also flipped outside down out of nowhere. and the pokemon also sometimes did something like an energy attack. it was pretty crazy.

In what characters is, i saw wolf, fox, lucario, metaknight, olimar, all of those guys are tuff to handle and uff to fight against...specially lucario.... his hits are weird and with very good reach.
Zelda isa monster. her din fire is like one of the most annoying proyectiles in the game
Ike means deads in FFA, and he has a good game indeed.
DDD is cheap as ahell,,and hella powerfull!!

Wolf fights in a very different fashion than fox..... he has a more savage style. and his moveset is coupled with good ko moves.

The game is fun as helll.. its just that most of the time i didnt had any idea of what i was doing, specially when planning my attacks. I have not found a good way to deal with campy players...and without WD and SFFl.. im kind of lost with marth. All my pals¨(the ones i own in melee) were kicking my ***,,,ill have to practise a lot :p

there are a lot of things left to sat but im in work right now so ill try to come later.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Ah! Sorry to doulbe post, but I just finished watching that video. Marth's third taunt is kind of like Links. He does a few slashes then sheathes his sword.
And then he pulls it right back out.

__

Thanks for the Info Hydde. too bad you didnt get a super amount of time to test Marth.

Better than nothing, I suppose.

./sigh Icraq. I'll give you candy if you go mess with the sheik thread.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
well i already played brawl yesterday.... ill give a brief info on what i saw and felt.

I had not the chance to play like i would have liked because there were like 15+ pople that i didnt know in the room,

Well, like most have pointed, the games feels very very different. Since the start i tried using marth and i noticed that even when he feels very similar, is not the same.

One thing i want to say is something i noticed from the start, and was what m2king said. The game sometimes tend to get campy, very.
With the lack of L-cancelling, you have tot hink more than twice what you will o when attacking because the shieldgrab is a real nightmare. Spacing is crucial now more than ever.
I sometimes played with a particular guy using lucario, that guy was the epitome of camping and with the weird hitboxes of lucario , it was hell to land a hit on him. So well, we will have to leran how to deal with this.

About marth, well i liked what i saw.... His knockback in moves have changed drastically. If marth had this knockback in melee, eh would have been godly! :D. His fair, his dash attack the ftilt his up smash and tilt... all of this moves can ko and have very nice knockback. Also his nair is very nice.

What i liked most if marth was tthe dancing blade, it connect very well and surprise the enemy. The first 3 hits of the move are almost secured to land, and the last one well the enemy can dodge it but it has fair chance of also hitting. The shield breaker is prety nice, with nice knockback but harder to connect. In one match, i as fighting a jigglypuff, I charged the shieldbraker to 3/4 of max power.... and it destroyed the puffs shield sending him to his doom.
The dolphin blow out of shield works wonder.

Another thing i noticed is the random tripping issue. I coudnt figure out how it worked, it just seems to be random, Sometimes i was just standing and tried to just dash forward, and marth just tripped and fell to the ground. It was kind of annoying. Sometimes i got free hits because of this.

Marth final smash like all know, is desturctive. I used it ona peach in shadow moses and she bounced against the walls like 5 or 6 times from side to side before going out sky rocketed. It was awesome.

Marth recover is different but is still very good. The side B indeed doesnt help much like in melee, but upb range and the easier edhogging kind of make up for this one.

on side notes
I also tried metaknight,lucas, bowser,pit, all of them are very good chars and fun as hell, specially koopa. The bowserside is owning. Sadly i had no idea of what i was doing with all of them.

There was a particular stage with that legendary pokemon in the background. The stage itself morphed randomly...and also altered your position in the map telporting you. The stage also flipped outside down out of nowhere. and the pokemon also sometimes did something like an energy attack. it was pretty crazy.

In what characters is, i saw wolf, fox, lucario, metaknight, olimar, all of those guys are tuff to handle and uff to fight against...specially lucario.... his hits are weird and with very good reach.
Zelda isa monster. her din fire is like one of the most annoying proyectiles in the game
Ike means deads in FFA, and he has a good game indeed.
DDD is cheap as ahell,,and hella powerfull!!

Wolf fights in a very different fashion than fox..... he has a more savage style. and his moveset is coupled with good ko moves.

The game is fun as helll.. its just that most of the time i didnt had any idea of what i was doing, specially when planning my attacks. I have not found a good way to deal with campy players...and without WD and SFFl.. im kind of lost with marth. All my pals¨(the ones i own in melee) were kicking my ***,,,ill have to practise a lot :p

there are a lot of things left to sat but im in work right now so ill try to come later.
practise makes perfect:) but generaly asking is marth better in brawl than in melee or u still dont know? i know he got nerfs but he also got buffed in some areas alot

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
practise makes perfect:) but generaly asking is marth better in brawl than in melee or u still dont know? i know he got nerfs but he also got buffed in some areas alot
well, the potential is definitely there, is just that i was sucking balls :p . He feels similar, but at the same time has so many different aspects to master and study. The combos from melee just doesnt work definitely, because of the knockbak on his moves. He could be now really a character of "one hit" to call it that way, what i want to mean is thatyeah, you still can combo a little... but most of the time youll find yourself hitting once the enemy,sending him away and then chasing. I think is too early to tell if he will be the force he was in melee, but he has got great potential. Im specially pleased with the knockback of his tilts in moves that were weaker in general.

What i will predict is that marth will have very difficult match ups against characters with a good proyectile game and balanced melee game. Forcing marth to be on the offensive now is a delicate situation :s

But he stil is definitely a great character

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
well, the potential is definitely there, is just that i was sucking balls :p . He feels similar, but at the same time has so many different aspects to master and study. The combos from melee just doesnt work definitely, because of the knockbak on his moves. He could be now really a character of "one hit" to call it that way, what i want to mean is thatyeah, you still can combo a little... but most of the time youll find yourself hitting once the enemy,sending him away and then chasing. I think is too early to tell if he will be the force he was in melee, but he has got great potential. Im specially pleased with the knockback of his tilts in moves that were weaker in general.

What i will predict is that marth will have very difficult match ups against characters with a good proyectile game and balanced melee game. Forcing marth to be on the offensive now is a delicate situation :s

But he stil is definitely a great character
since you have played himself and not watched through camera, is he generaly faster with his moves? cuz i just herd that meta is fast but not as fast wen u play him

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
well for example... i saw some vids of metaknight and he indeed seemed fast. When i used metaknight i was not doing that well so ill assume that you must make him fast. It depends of the skill each player has with each character. There was a guy in the room who was playing like a beast with MK.

Marth is fast. He runs almost at the same speed, his fairs come up fast and you can do for example more uairs in one full jump. He is definitely less agile than his melee counter part because in melee yo had other tricks at your disposal to change marth momentum drastically. This time around you must play marths physics in his way.
The dashdance is less usefull now, as some has stated. I tried countless times to fake my attacks by trying to DD, but i ended up running in just one direction without being able to change. It was because you cant change direction right away like in melee.... making fakes a little harder.

He is fast indeed, but without thr triks to make him faster like in melee, he has some lag in his moves.For example you must becareful now with the dair,... it lags like hell when you touch the floor.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I guess we can all attest to this brief summary. Marth has been nerfed in his knockbacks, but his speed remains the same. Tippers remain and he still has a good recovery and some of the physics will take some getting used to. His side b has been buffed so that it will actually do something as well as his shield breaker has been... neutralized... what he loses in range he gains in power.
Either way, especially because of the new physics, it's going to take time before any of us become prime Marth users for brawl.

Hydde, I have a special gift for you I'm PM ing it to you now

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I guess we can all attest to this brief summary. Marth has been nerfed in his knockbacks, but his speed remains the same. Tippers remain and he still has a good recovery and some of the physics will take some getting used to. His side b has been buffed so that it will actually do something as well as his shield breaker has been... neutralized... what he loses in range he gains in power.
Either way, especially because of the new physics, it's going to take time before any of us become prime Marth users for brawl.

Hydde, I have a special gift for you I'm PM ing it to you now
In a more breif summary,

Knockback = Nerfed

Tips = Same

Speed = Same

Airgame = Still Marth's best area

Ground game = Pretty good

Major weaknesses = Projectiles & His low weight. gets sent flying easy.

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
You're welcome. :)

LOL, I noticed that long ago in a Marth vs Zelda video - she juggled him off the top of the screen with it at one point! :eek: Anyhow thanks for the impressions, Hydde. :)

For some reason, this strikes me as "Really?"

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
In a more breif summary,

Knockback = Nerfed

Tips = Same

Speed = Same

Airgame = Still Marth's best area

Ground game = Pretty good

i think his knckbackhas been improved overall..... he sends enemies flying easily with more attacks than in melee. Moves that were not so strong like the fair, can now ko horizontally in high %. His up smash has been buffed also whch is good :)

Emblem lord says that with the new airdodge physics, its easier to evade proyectiles, so we have something to work with.
I really do not tested how marth performs in destroying proyectiles like samus´s-- it was tough because all my fights were free for all.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
You're welcome. :)

LOL, I noticed that long ago in a Marth vs Zelda video - she juggled him off the top of the screen with it at one point! :eek: Anyhow thanks for the impressions, Hydde. :)

For some reason, this strikes me as "Really?"

yeah, i saw that video you are talking about also..... and one of the guys did teh same thing to me yesterday. Its a difficult situation because in that moment you have already used you 2nd jump...and all is left for you is to depend on you dodge and DI, but is kind of difficult to guess when you need to dodge because of the invisible hit box that explosion have. So you get trapped and eat like 3 or 4 hits if you DI wrongly.

I think it can be escaped but i just was caught in it once, and i got like 4 or 5 hits... and didnt realized how to escape of it.

About marth´s weight, well i noticed i was killed very early sometimes too XD. He seems a little more fragile but i might be wrong.

On a side note, i was playing with bowser on shadow moses..... i got killed and right when i landed from the platform..... a DDD player did a Ftilt on me and then other guy did a warlock punch.... and i got koed from one side of the screen and i was in 0% when the attack started..It was insta detah....

i was like WTF O_O

GanonMarth

Smash Rookie
Marth looks alright in brawl. He does seem a little weaker on the staying on ground side but for power he sure is a beast.

Top Bottom