• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Got New Moves?

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Off-Topic: Well, we know whats at top of Rumble Falls now, some exotic area.

On-Topic: Yeah, I think it might be a aerial down+B, because it makes sense.. How would FLUDD work in midair? Then again... Sakurai DID make items like Super Scope Jump N Shoot so... I dunno..

SiD

Smash Master
He already confirmed it as a standard attack by asking the rhetorical question, "is it a standard attack?!".

Use your logic people.

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
SiD's got a point there, people.

In any event, the idea of having a slightly different moveset (at least, with specials) is very intruiging, I'll admit.

Wait, will it work against Fox's Shine? I mean, it is a projectile, but it does no damage...

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Did anyone else think that the ability to charge from a shielding position would make for some interesting grabs? Or grab combos at least? Just a thought...

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
He already confirmed it as a standard attack by asking the rhetorical question, "is it a standard attack?!".

Use your logic people.
lol. Amen. I'm about 98% positive it will be his "dair". They were already similar moves anyway. Also, go back and watch last year's Nintendo World trailer. It's almost obvious that the Tornado is an aerial A move now that you look at it.

Did anyone else think that the ability to charge from a shielding position would make for some interesting grabs? Or grab combos at least? Just a thought...
It'd be awesome to grab someone and blast them in the face with water before throwing them away. Wouldn't do anything, but it would be pretty funny. XP

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Sorry yet again for a double post, but - guess what - the edit feature is broken. Again.

maybe FLUDD will help mario be in the air for a few seconds
jus t like peach
There was that super jump he could do with it in Mario Sunshine, I forget what it was called. Maybe he can use that as some sort of hover (I dunno, that, plus the cape hover, plus the triple jump would be pretty OP) or ... dare I think it, a spike?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Right off the bat you assume too much.

Logically, Brawl is breaking the rules and making new ones.

And if you've noticed, Sakurai is trying to make Brawl more VISUAL. This means things won't pop out from nowhere (or disappear into nothing) if it can be helped. Have you noticed fox's blaster and reflector are on his costume now. Have you noticed Links shied is present when he's in the air now.

There are a lot of possibilities. Don't close off just yet.
Um, what about Wario's Bike? Snake's Rocket Launcher? Diddy's peanut gun and rocket barrels? Looks like things are still popping out of nowhere to me.

The strongest evidence is the fact that Sakurai said "He still seems to have this move, though. Eh? Is it a normal attack?!" Anyone familiar with Sakurai's style will see this is a rhetorical question. It's not much different from these other "questions" he's asked:

"You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?"
"He’s not flinching?!"
"Is... Is he issuing commands?!"
"Is this the turtle’s so-called shell?"
"Are these bombs made by Barnes?"
"What?! You can control Giga Bowser from Super Smash Bros. Melee?!"
"Rumor has it they can use those wings to sail through sky like gliders. But that can’t be true, can it?"
"And rumor is, you can even save screenshots?!"
"Wh-what the heck is this? What is going on? What kind of joke is this?"
"Yes, banana peels... You don’t, um…think they’re too much of a cliché, do you?"
"What?! Is this... Could it be?! It’s the Bumper from the Nintendo 64 version of Super Smash Bros.!"
"Come on, now! Where are you sticking that thing?"
"Is... Is it safe to eat that?"

As you can see, he often poses makes comments posed in the form of a question. Its not a big mystery, he's telling us right there - the Tornado is now a normal move.

Combine that with the other evidence. He's only the Tornado in the air that we've seen, and it has not behaved in a way that doesn't make sense for a standard air attack (he doesn't rise up in the air any more than his momentum would normally take him, so it won't help with recoveries any more). All the air attacks except the drill kick DAir have been seen before. All other B attacks have been seen before. The Brawl version of the Tornado behaves very similarly to the DAir drill kick. B moves have been different in the air and on the ground in the past, but they were always very related (Falcon Kick, Kirby's Hammer, Link's spin slash). The game is trying to maintain simplicity, even moreso than before, with things like holding A to do combos, and having B moves that are COMPLETLY differently in the air or ground just adds unnecessary complexity when there are plenty of other, better things to do that give variety without confusing the controls (like the Footstool Jump, it uses the Jump button, you jump, it makes sense!).

With all this evidence, particularly Sakurai's own comment, I don't see how anyone can honestly believe that the Tornado is anything but a standard Air attack now likely replacing the drill kick, and FLUDD works just like any other attack where your character suddenly has an item from nowhere, even one large and obviously impossible to really do that with (again, think of Wario's Bike, that's even more rediculous!). I wouldn't discount the possibility that FLUDD can be knocked off Mario somehow like Wario's Bike though. And I would not be surprised if his air Down+B is somehow different from on the ground, but it would still involve FLUDD somehow (perhaps the hover function, to replace the loss of the Tornado's small recovery boost).

SiD

Smash Master
Um, what about Wario's Bike? Snake's Rocket Launcher? Diddy's peanut gun and rocket barrels? Looks like things are still popping out of nowhere to me.

The strongest evidence is the fact that Sakurai said "He still seems to have this move, though. Eh? Is it a normal attack?!" Anyone familiar with Sakurai's style will see this is a rhetorical question. It's not much different from these other "questions" he's asked:

"You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?"
"He’s not flinching?!"
"Is... Is he issuing commands?!"
"Is this the turtle’s so-called shell?"
"Are these bombs made by Barnes?"
"What?! You can control Giga Bowser from Super Smash Bros. Melee?!"
"Rumor has it they can use those wings to sail through sky like gliders. But that can’t be true, can it?"
"And rumor is, you can even save screenshots?!"
"Wh-what the heck is this? What is going on? What kind of joke is this?"
"Yes, banana peels... You don’t, um…think they’re too much of a cliché, do you?"
"What?! Is this... Could it be?! It’s the Bumper from the Nintendo 64 version of Super Smash Bros.!"
"Come on, now! Where are you sticking that thing?"
"Is... Is it safe to eat that?"

As you can see, he often poses makes comments posed in the form of a question. Its not a big mystery, he's telling us right there - the Tornado is now a normal move.

Combine that with the other evidence. He's only the Tornado in the air that we've seen, and it has not behaved in a way that doesn't make sense for a standard air attack (he doesn't rise up in the air any more than his momentum would normally take him, so it won't help with recoveries any more). All the air attacks except the drill kick DAir have been seen before. All other B attacks have been seen before. The Brawl version of the Tornado behaves very similarly to the DAir drill kick. B moves have been different in the air and on the ground in the past, but they were always very related (Falcon Kick, Kirby's Hammer, Link's spin slash). The game is trying to maintain simplicity, even moreso than before, with things like holding A to do combos, and having B moves that are COMPLETLY differently in the air or ground just adds unnecessary complexity when there are plenty of other, better things to do that give variety without confusing the controls (like the Footstool Jump, it uses the Jump button, you jump, it makes sense!).

With all this evidence, particularly Sakurai's own comment, I don't see how anyone can honestly believe that the Tornado is anything but a standard Air attack now likely replacing the drill kick, and FLUDD works just like any other attack where your character suddenly has an item from nowhere, even one large and obviously impossible to really do that with (again, think of Wario's Bike, that's even more rediculous!). I wouldn't discount the possibility that FLUDD can be knocked off Mario somehow like Wario's Bike though. And I would not be surprised if his air Down+B is somehow different from on the ground, but it would still involve FLUDD somehow (perhaps the hover function, to replace the loss of the Tornado's small recovery boost).
QFT

Finally, someone who can think logically.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The whole Five Special moves is absolute nonsense. Sakurai has implied that it's a normal move. The only move that would make sense is dair.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
but the dair is used to force characters downwards, which is what the tornado DOESN'T do. it's an alt. move (at least that's what i hope for). i hope FLUDD is ground only and the tornado is an aerial based B move

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Well, I guess i forgot about that pic, and all i ment was the FLUDD shouldn't replave the fireball...:ohwell:
What would even lead you to believe the fireballs would be gone? Not only are the fireballs Mario's signature move, but it also clearly says in the update that FLUDD is Marios down B. That doesn't endanger the fireballs in any way.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
but the dair is used to force characters downwards, which is what the tornado DOESN'T do. it's an alt. move (at least that's what i hope for). i hope FLUDD is ground only and the tornado is an aerial based B move
Perhaps. Seeing as this speculated A button tornado move is one of mario's B moves from the previous SSB game who's to say it can not behave differently than other dair's?

-Knight

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Traditionally this is true. But Mario's dAir in Melee actually lifts his victims upwards. (I just tested it now.)

The only difference between Mario's Brawl Tornado and his Melee dAir (I'm still not going to call it "old" yet. I'll wait until you all come to your senses so no one b;tches at me.) is the angle at which Mario points his toes, his extended arms, and the upwards double-punch he gives at the end of the attack.

cccck

Smash Journeyman
Also, to further my arguement: Four Special Move Types.

Not "Five Special Move Types", not "Four Ground Special Move Types and Some Optional Aerial Special Move Types". Just four, four special moves.
dude... read the whole thing!
The Dojo said:
To enjoy more of the depth of special moves, try holding the button down longer to charge up attacks, rapidly pressing the button repeatedly, or tilting the Control Stick while doing the moves. You might also want to try them in midair.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
The obvious solution here is that Mario's down special transforms him into a completely different FLUDD-wielding character.

... *eyeroll*.

I'm actually surprised no one is trying to pass that off as fact.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Several Down-Air moves don't send opponents downward at all, that argument doesn't hold any water. Heck, the most famous DAir is probably Link's, and that sends opponents upwards! So does G&W's. Luigi's sends opponents out to the side and up. Mario's pretty much holds the opponent in place, with a little upwards movement. Pikachu's sends the opponent off to the side.

Mario using the Tornado as a DAir isn't strange at all when you look at all the other DAirs in the game, and in fact no one would have thought it was odd at all if it had been his DAir from the beginning. It is only marginally different from his normal DAir anyway - just a bit longer with a bigger knockback at the end of it.

Also, normal air attacks don't affect the trajectory of the character any (unless you are Ness, MewTwo, or Peach in certain cases) so Mario can easily be moving up or down while performing the Tornado as his DAir, depending on when he uses it. In fact, that is one of the core principles to good meteor smash technique - use the meteor smash air move as you are moving upwards, the attack hits below you while you are moving up and sends your opponent down, and you now have plenty of time to recover since the move will end while you are still near the height of your jump. Anyway, you'll notice in the trailer that Mario's movement is not affected by the Tornado as it was when it was a B move - he continues his normal jump arc, other than the pause effect caused by the attack's impact with his opponent.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Several Down-Air moves don't send opponents downward at all, that argument doesn't hold any water. Heck, the most famous DAir is probably Link's, and that sends opponents upwards! So does G&W's. Luigi's sends opponents out to the side and up. Mario's pretty much holds the opponent in place, with a little upwards movement. Pikachu's sends the opponent off to the side.

Mario using the Tornado as a DAir isn't strange at all when you look at all the other DAirs in the game, and in fact no one would have thought it was odd at all if it had been his DAir from the beginning. It is only marginally different from his normal DAir anyway - just a bit longer with a bigger knockback at the end of it.
that is tru

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
dude... read the whole thing!
He did and look at how Sakurai didn't tell us the Mario tornado wasn't a special attack anymore and was implying was a normal attack. Besides, other A attacks could have other effects by mashing them.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
He did and look at how Sakurai didn't tell us the Mario tornado wasn't a special attack anymore and was implying was a normal attack. Besides, other A attacks could have other effects by mashing them.
apparanelty it seems that the creator of the game we all kno and love likes to torment and suprise his fans a bit LOL but seriously u could be right about mashing buttons for different effects

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
it's the only dair however that actually raises the character using it up "if it is the dair."anyone have mario doing his uair?
I don't believe it does raise the character using it upwards. I don't see any evidence that it does. The time it was used in the trailer, Mario did not gain any extra height from it, his followed the natural trajectory of his jump just like you would with any other DAir you used as you were moving upward from your jump. He stayed in the air a while because of the hit lag of each hit, but if you did the same technique now with Mario with his current DAir with the correct timing, you would have the same height and air time as the one time we've seen him use the Tornado so far. Thus I do not believe it can be used to gain height for recovery any more, it is just a DAir like any other.

Top Bottom