• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Got New Moves?

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I just remembered something ...I rembered Sakurai saying with Bowserhe's going to be completely different,... I guess he applied it to all veterans as well

SiD

Smash Master
The F.L.U.D.D. better not become broken in terms of an intercepting move >.>.

Anyway, maybe his tornado is his new up+B? Or maybe it's replaced the cape and he moves sideways like Luigi when you do it.
Actually, all of his other B moves have been confirmed on the Dojo through screen shots and video. Check SamuraiPanda's thread to see.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
The F.L.U.D.D. better not become broken in terms of an intercepting move >.>.

Anyway, maybe his tornado is his new up+B? Or maybe it's replaced the cape and he moves sideways like Luigi when you do it.
nah they cant get rid of the cape and the Super Jump Punch...they his trademarks moves (^^)v

Tanea

Smash Ace
i was thinking that maybe that the tornado is the b down when he is in the air because it doesnt seem that his FLUDD attack can be done in the air but

i could be wrong oh well

BoG

Smash Journeyman
They can't get rid of the cape, I really like that move. I think the tornado will just be an A aerial move. But, I do wonder, if it still makes him hover?

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I like this update, if the Tornado is indeed now an aerial Down Special move, this opens up possibilities for characters like Peach and DK who's Down specials can't be used in mid-air.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Although it's equally possible to just be his new dair. We'll have to see.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
OMFG! I was so blown away by this Update. I thought Mario's B Moves were set in stone. We've seen the Up + B for the Recovery Update, and the Mario Tornado in the 2nd Trailer.

However, it seems Sakurai is rethinking the movesets based on his Four Special Moves Update

"Down Special Moves: Many of these do unusual things, like reflect enemy attacks. "
I don't think the Mario Tornado fits into this criteria, and if the main Nintendo Mascot isn't following Sakurai's guidelines - it's hardly going to set the example.

The F.L.U.D.D. had to be in this game in some form - though I had guessed as an item. I'm incredibly excited about the possibilities - no damage, but great knockback from a distance. Fox Laserspamming on BoE (Bridge of Eldin, trying to get that abbreviation to stick)? Charge up that F.L.U.D.D. in a Shield and let him have it!
Someone DI Upwards from your Fsmash, and falling to the side of the stage? Start charging from a distance, completely safe, release before he clings to the edge.

What is Mario's Tornado then? I think it's a Uair - but I think it'll be chargable. I think you'll add more "spins" the longer you hold down A. Judging from Link and Diddy Kong's Up + B's, Sakurai likes giving us the option to charge recoveries - why not make aerials more damaging? Sacrifice falling distance for greater damage. Great way to make every combo different.

Sir James

The Doctor
This update was great. Mario's new down special will allow for new strategies and a different style of gameplay. I just love the possibilities...shuffled tornado, grab, throw to the side, Down B (push them away) off the ledge? We'll have to see how the physics play out, but Mario's new moves can work out really well. If Mario keeps his cape, he will truly be a jack of all trades and probably even a better character than from Melee. Mario is moving on up! Watch out Fox...

Vividice

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who noticed that on the 4th screenshot that Mario doesnt wears the FLUDD like in all videos but on the first screenshot he has the FLUDD on his back while NOT attacking?
If the FLUDD isnt visible all the time its hould appear when Mario performs down+b (which would be odd enough compared to most moves in Smash) but in the first screenshot Mario seems to just stand there / be relaxed which would mean he wears it all the time and it is visible all the time.

I think
a) There are two Marios choosable: normal and sunshine version
or
b) It is something like real Gear for Mario an he can drop it like Samus is able to drop her Suit to become Zamus
or
c) The first screenshot is a bad one / My thoughts are completely wrong.

"Eh? Is it a normal attack?!" Doesnt sounds like it is comfirmed that it is a normal attack. For me it sounds more like Sakurai tries to fool us.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
After a quick glance through the trailers, I notcied Mario's uair is still intact. The tornado would probably be best suited for the dair, but something bothers me about FLUDD. Up until now, Mario hasn't been seen with FLUDD on his back. Will he have to pull it out before he uses it? Will he walk around with it all the time?

I personally think the FLUDD will be toggled on and off before a match. Players will be able to choose normal Mario or FLUDD Mario, and his vB will change acccordingly. I think there is a fair trade-off of recovery for offense. Also, the possibility remains for other specials to be changed.

*edit*
^^ My thoughts exactly, vividice.

Orochi Avlis

Smash Rookie
I personally think the FLUDD will be toggled on and off before a match. Players will be able to choose normal Mario or FLUDD Mario, and his vB will change acccordingly. I think there is a fair trade-off of recovery for offense. Also, the possibility remains for other specials to be changed.
Maybe they just left it on to show people what it looks like.

And I'm pretty sure his arieal down B will still be the FLUDD. I know it's fun to speculate, but live with it, the Tornado is a regular move now.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The only complaint I have with this is the fact that it's from sunshine which in it FLUDD was a gimmick. Then again people could say that the cape too is a gimmick. Then I guess there is nothing wrong with it. I'm just going to have to get use to seeing Mario use that move.

Oh man, actually giving luigi the vaccum would be nice but either way he's now more different from Mario. Now it's easier for me to see Clones getting new move sets. I hope Sakurai rids the Chu of skull bash. Man that attack was lame. DK however should not change. Man this opens so many possibilities.

Sir James

The Doctor
I think Mario had it on his back because he may have been charging it. I wouldn't worry about it - this is Sakurai we're talking about here.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Because it doesn't cause damage it may not also register as a hit, and that would be a nightmare for people trying to recover as it wouldn't reset their up+b oO.

Very difficult to tell though with samus screenshot.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I just have one thing to say...

Say so long to Mario's 3rd recovery boost, and say hello to one of the most imbalanced edge-guarding techniques this series has ever seen!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that this gives HUGE room for a Poltergusted Luigi. Also, it breaks the boundaries on who can and can't be changed. I assume we all thought that only clones would be altered right? Well, I guess we're wrong. (At least I was, anyway.)
And I really don't mind the change because I could never recover at all using the Mario Tornado.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i'm not so sure about this. i've used mario as my main since the 64, but i don't like this new move. but still, as long as he has his mario tornado in some way, i'll be ok, since it's one of my favorites

but it seems like it may be his aerial down B, like some have said, and i hope this is true. a good ground based guard technique and an excellent aerial attack would be fine by me

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
^^^I'm not inhumanly attached to the Mario Tornado or anything, but it wouldn't make sense to have Mario pull out the FLUDD everytime he uses his down special. He wears it on his back for a reason. The best workaround I see is to have two different versions of Mario.

It wouldn't take much to accomplish this, and the developers could essentially add a special move without creating a whole new character.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
First of all, this update is awesome.

I'm with Jigglymaster. I think that somehow both moves will be down-B (I think Sakurai's rhetorical question is not necessarily giving us the answer; he's mindgamed us so many times you can't assume that). I just can't see it replacing a normal attacking move - this update really makes it seem to me that Mario made a net gain of a move instead of exchanging an existing move for FLUDD, and I really like the idea of certain characters getting new special moves if they have one that's useless in the air (Peach/DK's down-B for example, as Jigglymaster mentioned)

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Oh my freakin gosh. This this update has to be one of the best. It gives me so much hope that Kirby will have BETTER MOVES OMGOGOMGMOMG ^_^ Thankyou Sakurai.

As for Mario the F.L.U.D.D looks interesting... :/ omg Kirby

-Knight

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Actually, since the first screen seems to show Mario just standing there with FLUDD, I wonder if there's a certain button combo that makes him put on/take off the FLUDD apparratus, which would account for his special moves changing. Very intriguing...

NukeA6

Smash Master
Well now I know why the moves of certain veterans weren't revealed. It has me kind of worried though.

Florida

イーグランツ
I doubt it, we've already seen his old Neutral Air attack, though doesn't mena things couldn't have been moved around again.

I think if anything it could be his new Up-Air.
I'm thinking that it's his up-air as well. Either that or his down-air.
Awesome update today! I'm curious to how the F.L.U.D.D. will work though, I'm sort of confused with what info Sakurai gave us.

Florida

イーグランツ
^^Mario can be seen doing his uair in one of the trailers.
Oh? Then it's most likely his down-air then! :)
That's actually better, I think. Get rid of his crappy d-air from Melee and replace it with a better move (which was replaced as well, lol).

Think the Mario Tornado will still gain you height, if special button pushed multiple times?

Top Bottom