• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Got New Moves?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
let's eliminate moves. it's not uair. it's not neutral air. it's not dsmash. people are suggesting dair, i thought we saw that somewhere? guess not. however, it still rises durin the attack(as seen in the first trailer). having a normal a attack help with recovery? That seems a bit weird. Other than using mewtwo's aerials at the end of his jump, but that's situational.

maybe its a tilted b attack? that would be interesting.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I don't think Mario's aerial dB will be the Mario tornado. I'm putting my money on it being just his plain old dAir for three HUGE reasons:

1) Pulling out a F.L.U.D.D. and spinning around are two COMPLETELY different attacks. I could understand if Mario's standing dB was the F.L.U.D.D. in cannon mode and maybe his aerial dB would be the F.L.U.D.D. in hover mode, but this is just too farfetched of a difference.

2) Notice how similarly close Mario's Melee (I won't say "old", because I could be wrong) dAir is compared to the Tornado. Both are spin moves, both deal multiple hits in a rapid fire succession. I say it's a fair trade.

3) In the second trailer, Mario jumps towards Link and hits him with the Tornado, passing through him on the opposite side he started the attack on. In Melee, Mario would have stopped his forward motion to execute the Tornado. Also in Melee, Mario stalls in the air before he attacks, and then again after he's done with the move. In the trailer, neither stall is there. (I'm actually really surprised none of us noticed this one.)

Anyone want to try to counter this one?
I think I just put this debate in check.

EDIT:
:chuckle:

EDIT #2:
Now I have a fourth reason why I doubt it will be a B move:

4) Watch how the attack hits Link in the second trailer. Now compare this to how Mario hits his enemies in Melee with both the tornado and with his dAir. The Tornado hits very quickly and smoothly, with an almost uncountable (without slow-mo) number of hits, while the dAir hits in bigger, slower, and countable bursts. Now, which attack seems to act more like the Tornado in the trailer?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Personally I think this means its curtains for the Cape. Let's see what we know.
Each character has four special moves (How To: Special Attack Update). Mario retains his Up+B: Super Punch (How To: Recover Update). Mario still has his Fireball attack (Possible direction change?) as seen in videos and various screenshots. His Down+B has changed to F.L.U.D.D. And he can still use Mario Tornado. I may be wrong (I probably am) but still...
Mario still has his cape. Look for it in the E3 06 trailer if you don't believe me. This F.L.U.D.D update was interesting. Now I can send opponents sailing with water! I don't really know what they'll do with Mario's tornado move. My guess is it's going to be a dair. I don't want Sakurai to replace Mario's uair because of the sick combos you can do with it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I don't think Mario's aerial dB will be the Mario tornado. I'm putting my money on it being just his plain old dAir for three HUGE reasons:

1) Pulling out a F.L.U.D.D. and spinning around are two COMPLETELY different attacks. I could understand if Mario's standing dB was the F.L.U.D.D. in cannon mode and maybe his aerial dB would be the F.L.U.D.D. in hover mode, but this is just too farfetched of a difference.

2) Notice how similarly close Mario's Melee (I won't say "old", because I could be wrong) dAir is compared to the Tornado. Both are spin moves, both deal multiple hits in a rapid fire succession. I say it's a fair trade.

3) In the second trailer, Mario jumps towards Link and hits him with the Tornado, passing through him on the opposite side he started the attack on. In Melee, Mario would have stopped his forward motion to execute the Tornado. Also in Melee, Mario stalls in the air before he attacks, and then again after he's done with the move. In the trailer, neither stall is there. (I'm actually really surprised none of us noticed this one.)

Anyone want to try to counter this one?
I think I just put this debate in check.

EDIT:
:chuckle:

EDIT #2:
Now I have a fourth reason why I doubt it will be a B move:

4) Watch how the attack hits Link in the second trailer. Now compare this to how Mario hits his enemies in Melee with both the tornado and with his dAir. The Tornado hits very quickly and smoothly, with an almost uncountable (without slow-mo) number of hits, while the dAir hits in bigger, slower, and countable bursts. Now, which attack seems to act more like the Tornado in the trailer?
I would debate with you, but--surprise!--I have the same feelings about the situation. Mario Tornado is closer to his DAir than anything, so it would make a logical replacement. That makes me think that Peach's BAir will now be her Peach Bomber, which is simultaneously wonderful and awful; I LOVE the BAir--it's so useful!--but I could live without the Peach Bomber. :ohwell:

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I would debate with you, but--surprise!--I have the same feelings about the situation. Mario Tornado is closer to his DAir than anything, so it would make a logical replacement. That makes me think that Peach's BAir will now be her Peach Bomber, which is simultaneously wonderful and awful; I LOVE the BAir--it's so useful!--but I could live without the Peach Bomber. :ohwell:
Wow! You're actually agreeing with me Aeris!? What a shocker! :laugh: NOT!
Great minds, bro. Great minds...

And I could see more use of the Peach Bomber replacing her bAir (I fired up Smash and am testing out a whole bunch of different characters to see what moves could replace what). Peach Bomber for bAir would make a lot of sense. And I think I see what you're saying. It could be still act like Peach's bAir, except with a 'splosion. Is that right?

Smash Ace
Mario's coolest looking move was his down+B. I'm just glad it's back.

then again, that could mean Dr. Mario could retain that move for his down+B.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
all i know is, making it his dair would have serious repercussions on mario players. most people don't use his dair for anything but recovery with good reason. it's hard to combo out of since there's that pause at the end. also, with the dair you can either drill into an oppenents shield and grab, or drill normally to grab , drill to utilt, etc. it would be weird if you could lcancel the tornado. :p

edit: and peach bomber for bair? that would either be horrendous(peach bomber is a much worse move than bair, it's slow and has more after lag) or it could be not as bad since you'd be able to lcancel it. but it would be ****ty in the air. If this is how it ends up, i'm going to cry in a corner.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
all i know is, making it his dair would have serious repercussions on mario players. most people don't use his dair for anything but recovery with good reason. it's hard to combo out of since there's that pause at the end. also, with the dair you can either drill into an oppenents shield and grab, or drill normally to grab , drill to utilt, etc. it would be weird if you could lcancel the tornado. :p
L-cancelling anything isn't wierd. And I'm sure you can control it just like any other aerial A move:
Jump over a shielded opponent, dAir (aka Tornado), fast fall, L-cancel, grab.
It won't be any weirder. I trust Sakurai 100% on this one. This is a really good decision IMO.

And I wonder if it will still have meteor capabilities? Say, if you hit your opponent with Mario's feet as opposed to his fists?

EDIT:
And the Doctor is not returning. Lest it be as a Mario alternate costume.

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
Some, maybe. DEFINITELY not all characters.
I don't know for sure it won't be all.. even though I kinda see each character having a different ground air ability. Like peach for example, she can't pull turnip from the ground in the air. What other move she can have in the air that could make sense for it? This could be great to have. Adding more moves and still have the same formula.

Wii Wanderer

Smash Cadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower1227
Some, maybe. DEFINITELY not all characters.

I don't know for sure it won't be all.. even though I kinda see each character having a different ground air ability. Like peach for example, she can't pull turnip from the ground in the air. What other move she can have in the air that could make sense for it? This could be great to have. Adding more moves and still have the same formula.

I bet Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu, and Young Link won't be in SSBB, even though all of those except Pichu are my favorite characters.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Did anybody mention that on one of the trailers he does his down B move from SSB and SSBM on Link.
I don't know, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't need to be said. Everyone already knew that.

Question:

HOW DO YOU DO QUOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are K-man and WeAreVenom? And any Idea for Meta's Final Smash?
See that button in the bottom right corner of everyone's posts that says "Quote"? Click that.

And this is not the place to talk about Meta's Final Smash.

If he does mario tornado in the trailer then how does he has a flood as a down b move.
That's what everyone in this thread is speculating about. Instead of posting a question that this thread has been made to guess at, how about just suggesting an answer to the question yourself?

Dair sounds the most plausible to me. Though I'm still kind of reeling over the fact that Mario does have FLUDD. The thought had occurred to me back when Brawl was first announced, and I shrugged it off as a neat-but-impossible idea. Now I have nothing to show for it. :ohwell:

iMichael

Smash Lord
So Mr. Nintendo has an attack that doesnt do any dmg....must blast them super far( if charged all the way)...Im guessing its his Dair....just sounds more better than his Fair or something

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I don't think that making Aerial B moves would be a good thing at all. Smash is supposed to be a great game because of it's simple controls. Implementing severly different special moves in different situations would just complicate the game and take a lot of the magic away.

First arial specials...
then diagonal A moves...
then diagonal B moves...
then diagonal aerial moves...
then what? combos? I pray it never comes to that.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

If Peach gets a new aerial down-B, it likely won't be anything like her grounded down-B, since the entire reason for having different moves in the first place would be that her down-B is a move that can't be done in midair. So it's entirely possible - just not certain - that characters can have completely different moves depending if they are on land or in air.

First of all, this isn't Melee. Things are being reworked, so saying that the Mario Tornado looks different has nothing to do with what button is being used to execute it. I don't even see why it would suggest that a new button is being used. It's just been reworked, that's all. And I don't see how a down-aerial would have Mario continue with slight horizontal momentum like he does when he hits Link.

Areyigo

Smash Cadet
does anyone notice that the stage where mario use his FLUDD its a new stage?

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Hey did anyone notice peach's b>?
Edit: woops wrong thread it was supposed to be in poke stadium.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
I'm note sure if anyone else has noticed this yet, but since Doc Mario aint gonna whip out a FlUDD anytime soon, hes either deconfirmed or de-clonified by this update. He could use a tool similar to FLUDD, but im not sure what, so IMO, Doc's either out or not a clone anymore.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I predict a stethoscope that shoots rainbows.

Anyways, charging an attack in shield is broken. (That is, unless the startup lag is ridiculously long.) JCed Shield is fine, but if it changes so that you can cancel a shield with anything it could get pretty depressing. What happens when shieldstun kicks in? Does the charge just get interrupted?

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
WOAH... MARIO I MR.NINTENDO HIMSELF, SO THIS IS HUGE! I MEAN, THE FLUDD WAS IN ONE GAME...
WTF?
SO. . . WHERE IS HIS FIREBALL MOVE? WE NEED FIRE BALL MOVE!:mario:

There, satisfied!

I don't like the "OMG ITZ IN 1 GAME WTF Y IZ IT IN BRAWL"
As long as it's in the Character's History, it is available for Brawl Movesetting :p

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
If Peach gets a new aerial down-B, it likely won't be anything like her grounded down-B, since the entire reason for having different moves in the first place would be that her down-B is a move that can't be done in midair. So it's entirely possible - just not certain - that characters can have completely different moves depending if they are on land or in air.
Well who's to say that she won't pull something out of her dress as opposed to pulling something out of the ground? Or maybe she could drop items out of her dress? There's a difference between that, and the Mario thing (other than the fact that the Peach thing is just a rough idea). Spinning around and pulling out the F.L.U.D.D. are NOT related in any way, shape, or form; while pulling something out of the ground and pulling something out of her dress or just having items come from somewher in some manner ARE.

I'm going to use Kirby's fB in my defense. They do two completely different things on the ground and in the air, but they both originate from the same kind of attack.

I don't see how a down-aerial would have Mario continue with slight horizontal momentum like he does when he hits Link.
A little thing called "inertia" would keep Mario moving in the same direction he started at.
Newton's 1st Law of Motion - "An object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force."
And the only reason Mario's decent slowed down at all was because he was making contact with Link. This works the same for any other multi-hit aerial attack in the Brawl trailers. I guarantee that the Mario tornado will not aid Mario in recovery at all this time.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post.

I don't like the "OMG ITZ IN 1 GAME WTF Y IZ IT IN BRAWL"
As long as it's in the Character's History, it is available for Brawl Movesetting :p
I agree with this guy. Good point and well made.
Let's go F.L.U.D.D.!
Let's go Poltergust!
Let's go Sheik!
Let's go Ephraim!
Let's go Hector!
Let's go Geno (even though techincally you were in two games)!

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
^ everything you said minus the shiek part lol. but yeah as probably stated befor I think it's his airial. im liking FLUDD so this is cool even though I cant stand Mario. Sakurai is really making characters different this time around. in terms of moves and how they effect characters. sure it doenst deal out any damage ut it doesnt have to. and that's what I like about Brawl so far.

Top Bottom