• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Got New Moves?

SiD

Smash Master
it's the only dair however that actually raises the character using it up "if it is the dair."anyone have mario doing his uair?
That's what it did in Melee, yes, but is it so hard to believe that *gasp* the tornado is no longer gonna raise you up? Goodness people, it's the Dair. Deal with it.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Traditionally this is true. But Mario's dAir in Melee actually lifts his victims upwards. (I just tested it now.)
yeah, sorry. i may of jumped the gun there. i'm ashamed to call myself a mario main. i was just thinking of all the meteor smashes, and how most of them are in characters' dair (at least, the characters i play as)

yeah, this update was another that cause more questions than answers. i still hope the tornado is an aerial down B move, and until i get a full confirmation, i'm sticking to that

SiD

Smash Master
GOD ****IT!!!!! IT IS NOT A B MOVE, IT IS AN A MOVE!!! DEAL WITH IT YOU NUBS!!!

Seriously though, Sakurai constantly says things with rhetorical questions, if you think this one is any different, you really are a nub.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Why is it so hard for some people to accept that Mario's Tornado may not B move anymore?

**** you Sakurai choose your wording more carefully x_x

-Knight

SiD

Smash Master
Um, what about Wario's Bike? Snake's Rocket Launcher? Diddy's peanut gun and rocket barrels? Looks like things are still popping out of nowhere to me.

The strongest evidence is the fact that Sakurai said "He still seems to have this move, though. Eh? Is it a normal attack?!" Anyone familiar with Sakurai's style will see this is a rhetorical question. It's not much different from these other "questions" he's asked:

"You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?"
"He’s not flinching?!"
"Is... Is he issuing commands?!"
"Is this the turtle’s so-called shell?"
"Are these bombs made by Barnes?"
"What?! You can control Giga Bowser from Super Smash Bros. Melee?!"
"Rumor has it they can use those wings to sail through sky like gliders. But that can’t be true, can it?"
"And rumor is, you can even save screenshots?!"
"Wh-what the heck is this? What is going on? What kind of joke is this?"
"Yes, banana peels... You don’t, um…think they’re too much of a cliché, do you?"
"What?! Is this... Could it be?! It’s the Bumper from the Nintendo 64 version of Super Smash Bros.!"
"Come on, now! Where are you sticking that thing?"
"Is... Is it safe to eat that?"

As you can see, he often poses makes comments posed in the form of a question. Its not a big mystery, he's telling us right there - the Tornado is now a normal move.

Combine that with the other evidence. He's only the Tornado in the air that we've seen, and it has not behaved in a way that doesn't make sense for a standard air attack (he doesn't rise up in the air any more than his momentum would normally take him, so it won't help with recoveries any more). All the air attacks except the drill kick DAir have been seen before. All other B attacks have been seen before. The Brawl version of the Tornado behaves very similarly to the DAir drill kick. B moves have been different in the air and on the ground in the past, but they were always very related (Falcon Kick, Kirby's Hammer, Link's spin slash). The game is trying to maintain simplicity, even moreso than before, with things like holding A to do combos, and having B moves that are COMPLETLY differently in the air or ground just adds unnecessary complexity when there are plenty of other, better things to do that give variety without confusing the controls (like the Footstool Jump, it uses the Jump button, you jump, it makes sense!).

With all this evidence, particularly Sakurai's own comment, I don't see how anyone can honestly believe that the Tornado is anything but a standard Air attack now likely replacing the drill kick, and FLUDD works just like any other attack where your character suddenly has an item from nowhere, even one large and obviously impossible to really do that with (again, think of Wario's Bike, that's even more rediculous!). I wouldn't discount the possibility that FLUDD can be knocked off Mario somehow like Wario's Bike though. And I would not be surprised if his air Down+B is somehow different from on the ground, but it would still involve FLUDD somehow (perhaps the hover function, to replace the loss of the Tornado's small recovery boost).
This is from a few pages back, and is proof that Sakurai's wording 100% percent means it is a standard attack. Anyone that can't see that just can't be helped.

helterskelter

Smash Cadet
Maybe one of the reasons he didn't gain height using the tornado attack (from the trailer) is because the player didn't rapidly press (I'm guessing) the A button?

I would also make a guess that when using FLUDD in the air that it goes into the hover form which gives Mario a limited period where he is floating, and anyone that is beneath him is pushed down.

If all of this adds up Mario may just have a kickass better recovery!

Look:
-Mario gets knocked off stage...far
-Mario uses cape to stop and gain slight height
-Mario uses tornado to gain bit more height and distance
-Mario uses FLUDD to hover back
-Mario uses 2nd jump
-Mario uses new & improved Up B

Dang Mario got better!

Drake3

Smash Ace
This is from a few pages back, and is proof that Sakurai's wording 100% percent means it is a standard attack. Anyone that can't see that just can't be helped.
I'm surprised so many people have trouble grasping what a rhetorical question is. If they paid attention to anything he says, they'd have seen he likes to play the fool alot. Mario's Tornado is now a standard attack, which is why Sakurai SAID SO IN THE FIRST PLACE.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
What do you mean by that? It's a very ambiguous statement.

Wait, this can only mean one thing, you're SAKURAI!!!
LOL trust me if I Was Sakurai....I'd keep the game to myself and say " screw u" to u all LOL and what I ment was I notced because u brought those quotes from Sakurai that are rhetorical question LOL

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I doubt the FLUDD will be used as a form of recovery. First of all you'd have to turn around to use it, second you would have to turn back to be able to jump and recover properly, third I doubt you'll be able to hover using the FLUDD. I don't think you'll be able to choose hover mode, only cannon mode.

SiD

Smash Master
I doubt the FLUDD will be used as a form of recovery. First of all you'd have to turn around to use it, second you would have to turn back to be able to jump and recover properly, third I doubt you'll be able to hover using the FLUDD. I don't think you'll be able to choose hover mode, only cannon mode.
I think it's possible, in order to replace the tornado, to have that thing from Sunshine that made him hover a little while he spun and shot water in all directions. Or something of the sort.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
tru...but it would been fun if u could....rocket nozzle will get him there in a flash

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
We're not talking about Sunshine Mario with hover and rocket and boost nozzles people, we're talking about Mario with a water cannon for one move. He's not going to be able to interchange the FLUDDs attack form at will, or at all.
I kno Im just saying it would be a fun addition thats all (^^)v

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think it's entirely possible that FLUDD may just automatically be in hover mode when you use it in the air. I don't think they could make it all that helpful with recovery anyway, as the only reason Mario is able to hover is due to the water blasting against the ground. If he's off the stage, there's no ground for him to repel off of. He'd just fall, spraying water.

I think using the Hover mode for mid-air would work the same way as the normal nozzle—you'd just be above the opponent. The enemy would be knocked to the side, depending on what side of the jet of water he or she is on. You could stay in the air for a few seconds (assuming you're above a platform, of course) and spray downward, moving horizontally a bit.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Why would FLUDD not be a recovery move?

Dont forget, in Sunshine, you could use FLUDD as an rocket.

Lets not forget the analog stick, which pointed wherever you want, shoots a blast of water in that direction.

I dont see why it wouldnt be a recovery move.
You didn't pay attention to anything I said did you?

You can't change nozzles in Smash, you only get the FLUDD Cannon in Smash, you can't aim yourself back to boost forward and then turn around to jump in mid-air in Smash, you can't manually aim the FLUDD where ever you feel like in Smash.

I'm sorry, but it's not going to work the same way.

SiD

Smash Master
You didn't pay attention to anything I said did you?

You can't change nozzles in Smash, you only get the FLUDD Cannon in Smash, you can't aim yourself back to boost forward and then turn around to jump in mid-air in Smash, you can't manually aim the FLUDD where ever you feel like in Smash.

I'm sorry, but it's not going to work the same way.
You don't know how it works, don't be so full of yourself. It could very well have a different nozzle in the air.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
I THINK ITS GREAT BECAUSE MARIO CAN EDGE PEOPLE EVEN MORE NOW LOL

iF THEY GIVE HIM THE CAPE......=****

PLUS U CAN CHARGE WHILE SHEILDING.....

GREATNESS

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
I can see the Down B move acting as hover jets in mid-air. I'm thinking a mild help, kinda the way you have a second jump in Ratchet and Clank (to indicate the style) with the helicopter part on Clank. Kinda a delayed boost. Would be interesting it if acts as a spike. Or, it may still shoot to the side in mid-air or only function on the ground.

I can't see customizable movesets, as Nintendo always tries to make their games easily accessible, and making a new player have to make even more choices when they turn the game on and select Mario is going in the other direction. I'm of the opinion that he just pulls out FLUDD for the move, much like other characters pull objects out of nowhere (as has been posted by others in this thread) for some of their moves. Not without precedent.

As far as characters having different moves, they also changed from the N64 to Melee. Kirby and Ness, anyone (and of course Falcon's Knee).

I also practically knew Dr. Mario would be changed or removed completely before this update. If you watch Nintendo World Movie from Nov 2006 (along the left sidebar of the site), right near the beginning Mario does a fair on an airborne Pikachu, but the trajectory acts like if Pikachu was hit by Melee Dr. Mario's fair, not Melee Mario's fair. That both shows moves of old characters are being changed, and is a strong indication that Dr. Mario, if not other clones, will be redone completely, or are being condensed back into a single character as I think most of us can agree that the Doc has the better fair in Melee.

SiD

Smash Master
Amazing first post Vortok, high five.

I never expected Doc to return at all, so this only gives more evidence that I was right.

rutsh

Smash Rookie
Hey all, this is my first post on here--I enjoy reading everyone's comments so I figured I should chip in at some point. Given the new FLUDD ability of Mario, has anybody else realized the new implications for Squirtle's special moves? Given his smaller stature, a forceful and non-damaging water attack would be a sure shot for KOs. I wouldn't be surprised if his Waterfall also has the ability to push other character's away during recovery. It would certainly help to keep his weight and strength in balance with larger and more powerful characters (and possibly with Trainer's other two pokemon).

Top Bottom