• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Got New Moves?

SiD

Smash Master
Wow, I didn't think of that rutsh. Two people, two awesome first posts, all in one page. Awesome day for SWF.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
i think mario tornado is the dair, look at the first brawl vid. he is using it against link when he is pretty high up in the air. Even though sakurai has said that they will boost the aerials I dont think we will be able to perform airsmashes.
You can clearly see Mario's dair in the first trailer right before Snake jumps from under the box.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The only logical explanation for the Mario tornado is the dair. Uair was in the E3 06 trailer and fair was in the Nintendo World trailer. There's a high chance Mario will keep his bair. Side B can't be his Mario tornado because Mario's cape is confirmed in the E3 06 trailer. Dair is probably going to be like the Mario tornado except you have to use the A button and to get vertical height from the Mario tornado, you'll have to mash it like in the previous games.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
how does mario attack down though? every character needs someone downward move as an option while in the air
Just don't push the A button while he's doing the Mario tornado. You may be even able to SHFFL it if L-cancelling is in the game. I'm sure that shorthops and fastfalls will be in the game.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just don't push the A button while he's doing the Mario tornado. You may be even able to SHFFL it if L-cancelling is in the game. I'm sure that shorthops and fastfalls will be in the game.
Lets not confuse what game design is. You don't design a move that is only accessible with advanced technique. Smash doesn't quite work that way. Down air moves are typically for using when enemies are below you.

And as a side note, I believe that Brawl will do away with "I'm falco and I can spike you with my FACE." In other words, if you're attacking with you're feet, only your feet will have the hitbox. This would also throw a wrench in SHFFLing making the tornado viable.

SiD

Smash Master
Lets not confuse what game design is. You don't design a move that is only accessible with advanced technique. Smash doesn't quite work that way. Down air moves are typically for using when enemies are below you.

And as a side note, I believe that Brawl will do away with "I'm falco and I can spike you with my FACE." In other words, if you're attacking with you're feet, only your feet will have the hitbox. This would also throw a wrench in SHFFLing making the tornado viable.
And you don't think they could make it attack down now because?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Despite the way the move looks, it actually does count as an attack at Mario's feet currently. Its pretty obvious for Luigi too - I often use the Down+B to hit people below me as I'm falling toward them as Luigi, since it has high priority even around his feet and will often hit through any attacks trying to hit me from below. I guess its because as they are spinning their feet spin too so it still does damage.

Granted, its not got as much attack range extending below him as many other DAirs do, but its not any worse than, say, Pikachu's or Bowser's range below their body on their DAirs.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Despite the way the move looks, it actually does count as an attack at Mario's feet currently. Its pretty obvious for Luigi too - I often use the Down+B to hit people below me as I'm falling toward them as Luigi, since it has high priority even around his feet and will often hit through any attacks trying to hit me from below. I guess its because as they are spinning their feet spin too so it still does damage.
With this trend of Mario's dAir being the Tornado now, I'm seeing Luigi's being a one spin (or possibly two or three, but not a lot) Tornado with the same or similar abilities as his Melee dAir.

BTW Zauron, welcome to SWF. It's always good to see n00bs (title-wise, not skill-wise... you know what I'm saying) who can debate and hold their own like they've been here for a while.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
From the pictures they never show that you can use the F.U.D.D in the air. I'm assuming that the tornado is his down-b in the air.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
If you're able to turn around in mid-air, use it, and then turn back around again to face the stage.

And it isn't going to turn into Hover Nozzle mode or Sakurai would have mentioned it. (Not directed at you Takeshi... unless that's what you think will happen.)
ahh but Remember...Sakurai loves to play his mindgames and not tell ppl things, so it might be able to turn into the hover Nozzle (I said "MIGHT") in the final draft of the game, or maybe not who knows....:)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Yea, it might end up being in the game, and it would be a pretty cool idea, but I'm saying that it's not.
but heres one thing u have to agrre on...even if they let mnario be able to change nozzles....they can NOT put the Turbo Nozzle....nothing against it really....but if they put it in Brawl....it'll make him Run off the stage LOL

element_of_fire

Smash Lord
we've only seen fludd on the ground, and tornado in the air right? if thats true than my guess is his down b changes, fludd on the ground, tornado in the air

*edit- just read some of the topic, i guess this has been thought of alredy ....sweet i'm not alone

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Ugh... you people are all going to drive me nuts.

The only possible way for Mario's dB (which will ALWAYS be the F.L.U.D.D. and not the Tornado because it will be his dAir) to change it's form would have to be while Mario changed his position from on the ground, in the air, and crouched (if he even can [which he probably will be able to]). Technically, we have only seen Mario use the F.L.U.D.D. on the ground, but if the attack was that diverse then Sakurai would have said something about it. He does that, he hints to other things, and he didn't at all. He just said that it shoots and you can charge it.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
I think this is interesting update, since alot of the characters can fly and glide, this move will be like an anti fly move, plus i dont think it will be too broken it will probly just push them away a litte bit

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
With this trend of Mario's dAir being the Tornado now, I'm seeing Luigi's being a one spin (or possibly two or three, but not a lot) Tornado with the same or similar abilities as his Melee dAir.

BTW Zauron, welcome to SWF. It's always good to see n00bs (title-wise, not skill-wise... you know what I'm saying) who can debate and hold their own like they've been here for a while.
Thanks! I've actually been a Smashboards lurker since 2003, and I've been to several tournaments as Dr. Mario or Luigi. I just never really had much to post about until recently.

BokutoGuy

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I've actually been a Smashboards lurker since 2003, and I've been to several tournaments as Dr. Mario or Luigi. I just never really had much to post about until recently.
are you talking 2 urself?:confused: anyway i hope mario get more use of his mario sunshine abilities

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the Tornado:

It's not his Up-B. His Up-B is shown in the You Must Recover! post.

It's not his Side-B. That's just illogical.

It's not his Neutral-B. We all know why.

It's not his Down-B in Midair. SAKURAI SAID IT WAS A NORMAL ATTACK.

The FLUDD looks ridiculously cool. I WANTS IT!

Top Bottom