• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Stage Thread Discussing: Halberd

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yoshis is really good against the space animals in my opinion.

Well mainly Falco to be honest. The stage messes up his camping more than it messes up yours, and the fairly small layout makes his recovery fairly predictable imo. High blastzone helps a bit in surviving vertical kills in that matchup.

Plus, the opportunity to wall jump for recovery will occasionally save you.

It isn't a particularly bad stage against DDD either, since the high end of the platform can be abused to avoid his U-tilt.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I wouldn't take Wolf to Yoshi's Island. He can use the slanted edges of the stage to aim his side B so that it will go across the stage horizontally, sort of like Fox or Falco's side B. The platform is perfect height to get hit by a diagonal flash too.

The stage is pretty small, so it will be easier to gimp him here though.

Famous

Smash Champion
Yoshis is bad against Snake, DK and Sonic(if he even matters)...You can insta-kill Ike on this stage if you FLUDD his aether at a certain frame while he's landing...(he flies clear offscreen xD)

I don't really play much on this stage since...everyone loves taking me to FD all of a sudden...

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't really dislike YI brawl, but for some reason, I find getting up from its ledge more annoying than other stages.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I hate when it screws up my auto cancels because I rely on them quite a bit. I also hate that you can't wall jump past a certain distance. It's alright though. I won't complain when I get it. Tilty platform is pretty cool too. It's not very important but Cape dash and glide are fun especially when it's tilting down.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The ghost platforms on this stage hate me. I try to gimp someone, get the gimp, and then they're saved.

...It happened when I caped Falco's Phantasm once. >_>

SKidd

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island Brawl is good for MK, I hear (low ceiling KOs, MK won't really be saved by the ghost platform,...etc.)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Island Brawl is good for MK, I hear (low ceiling KOs, MK won't really be saved by the ghost platform,...etc.)
He can't be gay and camp under the stage either, not that he'll need to against Mario....

BSP

Smash Legend
Really? I'd say it's pretty high.

YI isn't much better than any other stages for MK.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I love battlefield...
Platforms to me are a huge Advantage when using cape dash.
sometimes i fool my victims when they'll offstage trying to get back on.....
cape dash a.c.e. then spike ftw.

Matt07

Smash Master
Does anyone have any suggestions about Castle Siege?

Part 1

Advantages:
+Little room for characters to camp.
+There is the slope at the middle preventing chaingrabs.
+Platforms allow for some good platform abuse.
+Can control the first transformation very effectively due to his D-air being the perfect move for platform pressuring there.
+The incline in the middle has uses when throwing fireballs or autocanceling some of your aerials.
+Wall Jump recoveries can help your recovery.

Disadvantages
-Hard to play keep away game, due to the small size of the stage.

Neutral
+/- Smaller stage allowing you to be KO'd easier, and for you to KO easier.

General Notes:
-This transformation requires a strong boxing game, which Mario is decent at.
-Hinders campers with 'predictable projectiles' (Luigi, Falco, Fox, Wolf, etc.)

Part 2

Advantages:
+A lot of platforms allowing for many mixups.
+Very easy to abuse up-B here as there's so many platforms making it harder to punish.

Disadvantages
-Lots of room for characters to camp.
-Chaingrabs can lead to early KO's.
-Cannot gimp here, rendering FLUDD, and Capes abilities.
-Large amount of room for camping, making it difficult to approach.

Neutral
+/-Larger blastzones making it harder for you to be KO'd, and harder for you to KO.
+/-Harder to be poked through platforms, and harder for you to be able to poke through platforms.
+/-Statues can prevent you from taking damage, or they can prevent you from giving out damage.
+/-A lot of room for you to run around, and force your opponent to go aggresive, however a lot of room for them to force you to aggresive (especially if they have a projectile(s).)

General Notes:
-Can use statues to unstale moves.

Part 3

Advantages:
+No platforms allowing your Fireballs to be more useful, and force defensive play.
+Mario's best area.
+Tilting of the stage hinders camping while enhancing Mario's Fireball's.
+Mario can ulitize his moveset here with relative ease.

Disadvantages:
-No platforms allowing your up-B to be punished easier.
-When your on the lower end of the tilt, you are at a severe disadvantage, however it doesn't last too long.

Neutral:
+/-Larger blastzone for the ceiling allow you to live longer, however making it harder to KO vertically.
+/-The stage tilts allowing you to miss the ledge when recovering, or your opponent.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'll have to disagree on that. Castle Siege is an effective stage for Mario when going against heavy campers.

Part 1 is decent for Mario. Only problem on this part of the stage is it's hard to play a keep-away game from your opponent. Otherwise the structure of this stage works well for Mario's advantages, particularly vs Falco since it's harder for him to have an effective laser camp. In fact anyone with a straightforward projectile has a harder time camping unless they control the high ground, but that advantage can be nullified by taking advantage of the platforms.

However Part 1 demands a strong boxing game, something Mario is decent in but a lot of characters, particularly Marth, are far better at.

Part 2 is Mario's worst part particularly because he's unable to utilize Cape and FLUDD to their fullest extent, but it doesn't hinder him too much. This is the polar opposite of part 1 where campers can camp till the stage changes. Mario however can use the statues as shields until they break, then use the platforms to avoid any dangerous camping. Extreme emphasis on avoiding Chaingrab while on this part of Castle Siege.

Part 3 is undoubtedly Mario's best area. The tilting of the stage hinders camping while enhancing Mario's fireballs whenever they go high, and you have enough room to move freely if you choose to avoid close combat. The highlight of this stage though is Mario can utilize his moveset with relative ease. The only problem with this part of the stage is if you happen to be on the lower end of the tilt, Mario's at a severe disadvantage, but that quickly changes.

Overall, Castle Siege is what you'd use against campers.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Castle Seige is a great stage for Mario.

Mario can control the first transformation very effectively due to his D-air being the perfect move for platform pressuring there. The incline in the middle has uses when throwing fireballs or autocanceling some of your aerials. Wall jump recoveries can save your life on this stage too.

2nd transformation, statues restore stale moves, b-throw kills are legit

3rd transformation like Hero said has an abuseable incline.

It's not my first counterpick option (I personally prefer Halberd), but all in all I'd say it's more useful for Mario as opposed to unfavorable.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Stage spike (wall jump) tech is a good mindgame on the main stage of castle seige. I just wanna throw that out there. heh :roll:

On the right side of the stage marios.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
2nd part and 3rd part of CS prevent scrooging (MK, rob, pit others etc)
they can't fly under the first part of the stage either lol

also statues are mad gay for your fireballs...

but if you somehow get a jablock in that transformation.... free kill!

SKidd

Smash Master
Halberd is hella bad for Mario vs some characters
like MK and Snake
and DDD, I guess

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Eh, not a big fan on Halberd....
Too hard to gimp/kill on the big platform
get out rapsed/killed on the floaty platform

Not a bad stage for Luigi though =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main reason I like Halberd is earlier Up-smash kills. The way the blastzones are in general, getting gimped usually isn't a real concern. With the focus of the game generally being skewed more towards straightforward kills, that is favorable for Mario.

If you have control of the center on the flying transformation, short hop fireballs will bounce off the incline and create a very annoying wall. Fireballs are also a good annoyance when obstacles on the ship are about.

D-air platform pressures well as usual.

Honestly though it's my preference. I pick this stage a lot since I'm used to it. I don't think Mario is really bad on this stage against anyone in particular. Except Metaknight is really really annoying on the flying transformation.

And I really like this stage against Snake actually. The layout imo helps you more than it helps him, and you being able to kill him earlier with Up-smash matters more than how gay his U-tilt is imo.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Don't bring anyone who kills pretty well vertically here, that's pretty much all...
I would ban it against Snakes, MKs, Fox, Luigi etc.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, I like this stage against most Snakes since they usually never change their playstyle to accommodate to this stage, and generally speaking most of the situations where I get hit by Snake's U-tilt are mistakes on my part. Usually I don't die any earlier against most Snake users while my knowledge of the stage generally lets me score KOs more easily. Same kind of story when going up against Fox imo.

I personally think it's more important to avoid huge blastzones against someone like Snake. Most of Mario's KOs against Snake can be scored more intelligently as opposed to the other way around. Snake imo generally scores most of his KOs punishing random mistakes.

UberMario

Smash Master
I think Halberd is an ok Mario stage, but the long platform in the center of the stage limits Mario's options somewhat.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think Halberd is an ok Mario stage, but the long platform in the center of the stage limits Mario's options somewhat.
I agree with this actually. The platform in the middle reminds me of Delfino's, where it hurts more than it helps.

Honestly though, the real reason why I don't like Halberd is because of the stage's properties. It's small and has no safe zone. Not even under the stage is safe. However, that's on Transition 2.

Transition 1 and 3 are fine, though 1 is "meh" at best. Transition 3 (with the giant laser) is the best part of the stage due to space and having some margin of error. Having shenanigans with the laser is always nice too, especially if you Cape ****.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The platform in the middle is REALLY AWESOME if you are fireball camping under it on the air transformation.

Dead serious. You like short hop fireballs from under that platform, and they bounce upwards against the incline creating an awesome wall against anyone unlucky enough to be close to the ledge. Against anyone foolish enough to try jumping over that wall, you just SH D-air and shield poke them. Obviously they could still attempt to powershield that stuff, but still, it's really awesome and a good position for Mario.

I personally think Halberd has won me more matches than I've lost in most matchups. Except against Metaknights. Metaknight is stupid.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Halberd imo is a coin toss, the random luck factor shengians can easily sway the momentum of a match (i.e : Ki$izzle vs AIly l think apex or pound )

Everything else is pretty okay.

sharking is annoying here

Top Bottom