• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Stage Thread Discussing: Halberd

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pretty high blast zones so expect to kill much later as compared to other stages, go for more gimps and edge gaurds.
The blastzone height of FD is identical to that of BF actually. However it has more horizontal space.

FD isn't really bad for Mario. Anything Mario loses on this stage, most of his matchups also lose as well. Just don't take the Ice Climbers or DDD here ever. And avoid Sonic and Fox and Falco like the plague here if you want to maintain your sanity due to how campy they can be. Metaknight is more manageable on this stage as opposed to BF since you survive horizontal kills longer here.

I also like taking Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Ike here, who are easy characters to juggle and edgeguard due to their predictability.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
... And avoid Sonic and Fox and Falco like the plague here if you want to maintain your sanity due to how campy they can be.
iono i don't mind a falco here, i think it's just because i'm used to the match-up set-up? i just crouch his 2nd shot and maybe even cape it. FH Fireballs and slowly approach him. It's all patience really. Fox same thing i guess, not a lot of those here or Sonics. So i can't put my $0.02 on that.

SKidd

Smash Master
I'll see your $0.02 and raise you a dollar!

Also, I just hit Falco and run away
you do not wanna get cg'd

Matt07

Smash Master
Made some updates guys, made the layout a little more coloured too.

Added updates to Battlefield, and added Final Destination.

We're now discussing Smashville.

NNID
LilG912
I luv Smashville, Mario can **** on that stage, man. SV >>>>>>> FD, all day every day. We can camp on the floating platform and spam fireballs and we can combo other characters on this stage better than FD.

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
This stage is more smaller then FD so it seems easier to move away/ fight back with characters that camp alot. I don't know, just me. This is usually my 1st stage.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Yeah, the floaty platform can prevent Mario from being gimped, too. Mario has other ways of gimping (cape/fludd), so it doesn't affect him too much either.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
No fking lip in this stage to get caught in

ledgedrop > up'b > get rich > buy dem 'shrooms > ?????? > PROFIT!

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
This would definitely be the best closest to FD stage you could take Diddy on.

You can throw the bananas away, or put them on the platform above.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
ledgehop>wavebounce onto plat. baits real well(free bair if they chase) AND you're put in a neutral position.
This works really well, actually. I don't know why I always forget it. Thanks Vato.

Though, kazoo... you can't be afraid to use Diddy's bananas against him. That's half the fun in the Mario vs Diddy matchup because if done right, you've got easier lead ins to your own combo strings. If you can help it, keep a banana in your hand whenever you can. You still have all of your b-moves and an extra projectile to help your game.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Most :diddy: I play know how to work around having one less banana. So, I could try throwing it, and lose the banana, or throw it off stage, &c.

Point is, you still revert to fireball shenanigans for the time you're waiting for an opening, which doesn't make the MU that much different.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
using diddy's bannana to bait him in is more effective than holding it. use diddy banana's to bait diddy in and punish him.
Saying it and implementing it are two different things.

I know the strategy, it's just some days it's harder to do than others.

Matt07

Smash Master
Nah, I work. I've been school since late April, college for the win.

And I finished updating. We still need more information on all stages, but I guess we can worry about that later.

Yoshi's Island Brawl is next...go!

SKidd

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island is legit stage for Mario, but not often a good stage for counterpicking characters. The platform is good for mindgames, the little platform that appears offstage is good for recovery and edgeguarding, and you can wall jump off the walls on the sides (But don't bring Diddy here or he'll edgeguard you by staying there). It's not bad for any character, really.

Matt07

Smash Master
Really? I find this to be Mario's worst neutrals, here's a couple of reasons:

-The middle platform really screwed up Mario's Fireball game.
-Not a lot of room to be really aggresive, and not enough room to Fireball camp.
-The ceiling is a bit too high, making it harder to K.O with u-smashes.
-The smaller horizontal blastzones give Mario a harder time to K.O.
-You can still be punished by using upB even with the middle platform since it's easier for more attacks to hit you.

Basic Advantages
-You can u-tilt/u-smash when opponents are on the middle platform.
-UpB has a HUGE reach disjoint on this stage, making it harder to be edgeguarded.
-You can live a tad longer vertically due to blastzones.
-Walljump, can lead to recovery mix-up's, our ledge options.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
this stage is the worst,

shy guys can occasionally mess up momentum and can be of a difference

ceilings is just too gay, and doesn't work against floaties, so killing ppl like mk is unviable

too many sheningans by other chars such as DK who has inv frames when he upbs, gaw's dtilt just really gays you when ur on the edge etc

you get gayd when ur on platform

NNID
LilG912
Mario seems worse on FD than Yoshi's.

IMO, Mario's best neutrals in order

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Final Destination

I know the shy guys can be ***** to ruin our combos/juggles, ugh, MK ***** all, u know what, sometimes the shy guys can help Mario, use them for shield so you can cockblock other characters moves. Don't take characters who knows how to juggle, ex: DK's up-smash/up air, G&W's n-air, Olimar's up-smash/up-air. Our best smashes is down smash and stutter f-smash, up-smash won't work for us unless the character is @ very high %, plus the ppl can easily DI outta Mario's up-smash.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I probably prefer FD over YI
Hate that ****ing platform... I do a sh/fh fireball and it just sits on the platform and fizzles out...

NNID
LilG912
You didn't explain why final destination is worse than yoshi's island. I don't see how it can possibly be worse tbh.
Thank you for pointing that out. The reason why Final Destination is worser than Yoshi's Island b/c Falco can camp and chain grab, DDD and Ice Climbers would chain grab, Olimar/Pit/ROB/TL/Diddy would try to camp and spam projectiles hard as possible to win, Fox would run away to SH Lazer, same w/ Sonic w/ the running away tactic, I wouldn't take Wolf on FD due to he had a better ground game than Mario's. Most of these characters would give Mario a bad time to approach except Fox cuz his lazers don't stun us. On Yoshi's, we can try hard to have stage control like doing aerials through platforms, Mario do much better on a smaller stage but at the same time it's harder to kill characters on Yoshi's Island than Final Destination.

vato_break

Smash Master
So why didn't you say certain stages were better against certain characters in your original post? on yi mario's weaknesses will out weigh his advantages which makes it a bad stage for mario.

Top Bottom