• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Social Thread

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
good god i love mario

if you bait a fire fox can you always cape it or is there stronger options?
ppl sleep on it, but you can just grab the edge and ledge hop reverse cape from almost any angle unless they are WAY above you.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I have an easier time fighting fox/falco than peach/shiek with mario, call me weird but..

I just started getting back into Melee, I'm not as good as I used to be, but I saw how alive the competitive scene was and I wanna try and re-rep both the doc, and regular mario.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Is there a rundown anywhere of the differences between Doc and regular Mario? I know Mario has a better down b, longer fsmash, slightly larger frame, different (worse) forward air and a walljump. His fireballs seem to work differently from pills and it looks like his wavedash is longer too. It looks like some of his attacks have longer range too but I'm not sure. Anyone have a authoritative list?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Their wavedashes are the same, Mario just has less traction.
Here's what I know:
Dtilt- Mario's sends people up, Doc's sends people behind him
Usmash- Doc's is a meteor smash (this comes into play at higher percents, as Doc can combo out of usmash at higher percents because of this)
Fsmash- Mario's is longer and has a tipper, Doc's is shorter but more powerful.
Down-B- Mario's sends people up, Doc's sends people in a random direction
Cape- When used in the air, Mario will always gain height, where Doc only gains height the first time.
Up-B- Mario can walljump after Up-B, Doc can Up-B cancel
Fair- Mario's is a meteor spike, Doc's is a powerful ass fist
Nair- Mario's is a normal sex kick, while Doc's is a sex kick that gets stronger as it's out.

You should check out the frame data between them, there's a lot of subtle differences between them, like Mario's aerials have 2 frames less lag, and also check out the damages on their moves in training mode, cause Mario's bair does 11% while Doc's does 8%. I have a list somewhere with a bunch of differences, if I find it I'll post it.

Also, I noticed that your sig says you're from New Orleans. You should check out this tournament, Griffard is trying to go, and Taylor and three other people from Louisiana came last time.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info. Do you have any info on his grabs? I'm pretty sure Mario has a longer range so I guess that makes his chaingrabs a little easier to pull off?

I live with Griff actually haha. I would love to make it out but it's probably not gonna happen due to schoolwork and various other stuff. I think he'll probably end up bringing at least a few of the NOLA crew though.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow haha, what are the odds of that? Oh well, hopefully you can make the next one.

I just tested it, and I actually think Doc has a slightly larger grab range. I had a Doc and a Mario try to grab the same character that was on the edge of a platform (not in teeter so the character was still), and Mario had to be slightly closer to grab.

BrandyB

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow marios! Just joined smashboard today, already learning some stuff on mario discussions. First thing's first, since I've never even met another Mario main, does anyone jump -> cape -> fair? it's a combo i've never seen marios do in videos I've watched, and yet I get it off so often. If the cape hits them, then so does the fair (obviously depending on character/percent/positioning), and if it doesn't, it acts as a good stall and they usually run right into the fair. but anyway, glad to join you guys. see you around!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've landed fthrow->reverse cape-> fair on spacies a couple times.
it's not very practical, but it looks cool.

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
Hey guys I main Mario in melee actually come to think of it I main Mario in all the smash games but that's not the point I need to improve my Mario's so can someone tell some skills

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Practice basic tech skill : SHFFL, Wavedash, Waveland, DI,etc.
Next, you want to focus on character specific tech; for Mario, this means: Shabawd, Up-B Walljump, fullhop fireball into waveland, getting max height on your Down-B, and also practice your walljumps, Mario has a lot of options out of them.

And of course, you want to learn matchups, start with the top tiers and work your way down.

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
Practice basic tech skill : SHFFL, Wavedash, Waveland, DI,etc.
Next, you want to focus on character specific tech; for Mario, this means: Shabawd, Up-B Walljump, fullhop fireball into waveland, getting max height on your Down-B, and also practice your walljumps, Mario has a lot of options out of them.

And of course, you want to learn matchups, start with the top tiers and work your way down.
Thanks bro I do need to work on most of those skills

1MachGO

Smash Ace
How legit is Mario's dthrow chaingrab on fast fallers? Does it only work at high percent?

BrandyB

Smash Rookie
Alright guys is it 5:00am and I'm crazy? or did I just discover something really cool? You tell me...

Only tested on Fast Fallers but,
At low percentage:
Dair -> L-Cancel -> DOWN-B (I know, right?) -> Jab Reset -> Whatever (maybe Fair since it leads to more cool stuff)

My only concern is that the Down-B doesn't start fast enough after an L-Canceled dair. I haven't been able to test on a human yet. But besides that, it might be a practical time to use Down-B in combo. Playing Falco as a secondary might have paid off here (I was still trying to dair -> shine when I switched back to Mario lol).

a rookie

Smash Ace
That is a big problem. It's not a true combo :/ And even if you do hit them with the down b, they can CC it on reaction. Also, even if it does reset them on the floor, they recover faster than you. And if you don't reset, they fly in the air in a neutral position. Even if you get the full down b, the last hit isn't a combo :( This move is ehhhh. But good mixup potential!

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
Are we allowed post combo videos and other smash related videos from YouTube on to here (what I mean is smash vids of me from my YouTube channel)

BrandyB

Smash Rookie
You rule, rookie. While I'm here, can you give me some advice on the Peach matchup?

a rookie

Smash Ace
You rule, rookie. While I'm here, can you give me some advice on the Peach matchup?

Hm, sure! I'll do the best I can! I recently played MacD, it went to Game 3, last stock. I was so close to 2-0'ing him too :/ Anyways, yeah:

Dealing w/ a floating Peach, depending on her height:

Against mid float: If you manage to position yourself underneath her, you can up air blind her to pack on percent/space her w/ WD back fsmash.

Against high float: Nothing much you can do here except chase her to influence where she will land. Remember, stage position is crucial all the time.

In this MU, grabs are pretty good still. You can't combo her that hard at all, but you can bait her to do an aerial and you can punish her w/ another grab/smash. Also, ALWAYS dthrow, upthrow leads into nothing. Dthrowing her at low %'s leads to up airs, but make good judgement and know when to stop(if you feel she can mash nair in the middle of your combo). Also, around like 130-140%, dthrow nair(basic kill move) doesn't work anymore, so be sure to only up air/bair(depending on her DI)

Make sure to do your tornado(most of the time) immediately when you get knocked off. So you can save your double jump and dair her when she's under you trying to edge-guard. It beats her all the time, so make sure to dair when she's mostly underneath you to make it back to the stage safely.

If she has a stitch, don't get destroyed like I do XD Block if it comes to that. Smart Peach's will throw it after the lag of your cape/save it.

If she dthrows you, DI behind her, cuz if you don't, she can up-air/up-smash you and it counts as a combo that you can't jump out of.

If she CC's too much, you can blow it up w/ fair, since you can't CC fair since the hitstun is good enough. Then follow up w/ grab, don't try to jab reset after fair, you might eat a spamming, CC'ing dsmash. Haha.

Other than that, abuse the range of your fsmash and almost always aim it upwards whenever you thing she's gonna fair you/floating above you.

Also, edge guarding her. You can cape right when she up b's, and it'll send her into a tumbling animation. Grab edge, then roll.

YOU GOT THIS! And no BrandyB, you rule! :D

BrandyB

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much man! Peach has been giving me trouble, and like, I could probably switch characters to counter her better but I feel way more BA when I can stick to my plumber guns and win anyway. I'll definitely try implementing your advice next time I face one.

Another question for you (since this board is so inactive anyway lol). Have you played any Project M Mario? I definitely like Melee better competitively, but damn did they turn Mario into a beast in that. I feel like you would probably wreck **** as Mario in that game since you already got the skills from Melee.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Thanks so much man! Peach has been giving me trouble, and like, I could probably switch characters to counter her better but I feel way more BA when I can stick to my plumber guns and win anyway. I'll definitely try implementing your advice next time I face one.

Another question for you (since this board is so inactive anyway lol). Have you played any Project M Mario? I definitely like Melee better competitively, but damn did they turn Mario into a beast in that. I feel like you would probably wreck **** as Mario in that game since you already got the skills from Melee.
PM Mario is so weird. I don't really like how he feels. Feels like an empty shell :/ I don't know a lot of his combos in that game either. But idk, I'd have to actually play PM more if I were to do at least ok in that game.

BrandyB

Smash Rookie
I need to get more comfortable with Mario any pointers
I've been playing Mario in both games and looking into the strategies and play styles of both, and they are actually pretty different. If you are referring to PM then just check out the Mario board in PM character discussion. That board is much more active than this one currently. A lot of the Melee Mario stuff does transfer to PM in my opinion, but he generally feels pretty different and there's a few tweaks here and there (which is probably why rookie doesn't like how he feels). If you learn Mario in PM first, he will NOT transfer to Melee at all. Like if you got really good at PM Mario and tried playing him in Melee you would probably get wrecked at first, but the other way around not so much after you get used to the subtle differences. Like for PM there's more Fireball strategy for Mario because of how much better they made them. They do like 8%, have great hit stun, they come out quicker, and there's less landing lag if you shorthop fireball... which makes it AMAZING for approaches/forcing them to approach.

Top Bottom