• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Social Thread

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Mario, doc and luigi have a pretty cool aerial interrupt thing with upair. If you upair as you are rising through a platform, you will get a no impact land type thing and the animation will stop. You then just get normally mid upair landing lag, and you can l-cancel it. With doc it's a little tricky to get a hitbox out but i think marios is a tiny bit more lenient. You can edge cancel it too. It's easiest to do on battlefield and full hopping under the lower platforms.

edit: I was wrong about it being more lenient, it is a frame perfect trick like Doc's, but you do it 2 frames earlier. I go into more detail here http://smashboards.com/threads/doc-advanced-tech-frame-data-megathread.378813/ most of this tech is Mario compatible.
Yeah, checked it out. These are cool finds. I wanna see more Mario's/Doc's!!!! I knew about the slide into grabbing edge. Figured that out w/ Koopa a while back.

LadyKillaCaillou

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm a relatively new player to the competitive game, but I've been playing this game as long as i can remember. I want to main Mario and have been working hard to get all my ATs on point with him. Just wanted to say hi to my fellow strugglers, best of luck guys!

LadyKillaCaillou

Smash Rookie
Thanks man, the avatar is something I made today for this site, I think I may start using it elsewhere too. Also shoutout to toronto man, Ive only been there a handful of times but Ive never met someone from there that was anything but pleasant.

LadyKillaCaillou

Smash Rookie
If only! I have been to toronto with my family for some medical treatment (long story) and with my church, but likely wont be again for a long time. I appreciate the offer though!

LadyKillaCaillou

Smash Rookie
Nice to meet you too @ladykilla! Lol, nice name. Please don't ever give up on Mario, he'll never give up on you :D
Thanks man! Ive been playing a bunch these last few weeks and I think ill stick with everyones favorite plumber! But I am gonna learn how to play marth too, because there are some matchups where I feel like I just cant get in with such tiny arms <3

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Lately, I've been going to more BC tournaments than Washington tournaments. I can't go to gameclucks and smashnest regularly, because I don't have reliable means of transport :(, but I'm planning on going to gameclucks soon, possibly next month. I'm actually just coming back from a Melee hiatus that I took when Smash 4 came out.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
For sure! B)

I warn you though.. while I am the self-proclaimed best Mario in Washington, I haven't fought another Washington Mario player in a while.. so I could be wrong. BUT THE CHANCES ARE SLIM! My Mario is pretty deadly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

a rookie

Smash Ace
Wish both of you guys came down to a SoCal tournament. That'd be hype to have you two, me, and KoopaTroopa895 at the same tournament :o

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Holy hell I want to do this. How do you drop cancel nair like that?

Edit: I just spent a hour practicing the up-air aerial interrupt thing, and I just want to say that it's a LOT easier on dreamland. The height of the side platforms make the timing very natural. If you want to practice that you might want to go to DL first.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Holy hell I want to do this. How do you drop cancel nair like that?

Edit: I just spent a hour practicing the up-air aerial interrupt thing, and I just want to say that it's a LOT easier on dreamland. The height of the side platforms make the timing very natural. If you want to practice that you might want to go to DL first.
The dropcancel/platformcancel nair is just drop through a platform and nair on the first frame airborne. It must connect to work.

On Battlefield the AIA is a 1 frame window, and the previous frame performs an AI without the hitbox.

On Dreamland the AIA is a 3 frame window, and the previous 3 frames perform an AI without the hitbox.

On Yoshis the AIA is a 1 frame window, and there are no AI no hitbox setups.

On PStadium the AIA is a 1 frame window, and the previous frame performs an AI without the hitbox.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
The dropcancel/platformcancel nair is just drop through a platform and nair on the first frame airborne. It must connect to work.

On Battlefield the AIA is a 1 frame window, and the previous frame performs an AI without the hitbox.

On Dreamland the AIA is a 3 frame window, and the previous 3 frames perform an AI without the hitbox.

On Yoshis the AIA is a 1 frame window, and there are no AI no hitbox setups.

On PStadium the AIA is a 1 frame window, and the previous frame performs an AI without the hitbox.
Is there a way to make it easier? Or a specific way to practice it?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to make it easier? Or a specific way to practice it?
Best way would be to use the invincibility code on 20XX (X+D-Pad Up), and place the second player on a platform and keep trying, and changing the stage every now and then. It's purely timing, but I think it's better to be able to think about it positionally and be able to convert that knowledge across stages.

You can also do it from a double jump like if you are falling under a platform, but the window is kinda inconsistent, almost landed the sickest doc combo yesterday with this, but bobo ****in jumped out like a frame before the dunk connected.

Actually you could just use save states, and that would be better if you want to combo from it.

I made a more complete frame window table for reddit that I'll post here.
Stage | Character | AIA frame window | AIA timing (upair on airborne frames) | AI (no hitbox) window | AI timing (upair on airborne frames)
Battlefield | Doc | 1 | 13 | 2 | 11-12 Battlefield | Mario | 1 | 11 | 1 | 10 Dreamland | Doc | 9* | 18-26 | 4 | 14-17 Dreamland | Mario | 3 | 15-17** | 3 | 12-14 Yoshis | Doc | 1 | 9 | 1 | 8 Yoshis | Mario | 1 | 8 | no window | - PStadium | Doc | 1 | 11 | 2 | 9-10 PStadium | Mario | 1 | 9 | 1 | 8

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I was trying to practice drop cancel Nair's and AIA Uairs, and found that the Uairs weren't that hard, and Mario's drop cancel is harder than some other characters, because he can't c-stick the aerial, and I had trouble finding situations to naturally work in drop cancelling, besides the one shown in your gif. Still, cool stuff, definitely not as difficult as I thought it would be.

Also, I played 2 and a half hours of games against Marth today. That MU is hell. Tips on the neutral would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, good **** to A Rookie for making it onto the SoCal PR.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Does anybody use the forward hitbox of Bair? I haven't really distinguished differences between it and the backwards hitbox, besides that it seems weaker, but I bet there's some utility that can be derived from that. Maybe Uair > forward facing Bair > more stuff? Like how Fox players use the weak hit of forward facing Bair to combo Marth and Sheik. Next time I get my hands on Melee I'll give it a shot and see what I can come back with.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Does anybody use the forward hitbox of Bair? I haven't really distinguished differences between it and the backwards hitbox, besides that it seems weaker, but I bet there's some utility that can be derived from that. Maybe Uair > forward facing Bair > more stuff? Like how Fox players use the weak hit of forward facing Bair to combo Marth and Sheik. Next time I get my hands on Melee I'll give it a shot and see what I can come back with.
I think in general Uair is a much better in almost every situation since it has a KB angle that juggles, has more range, and keeps them close for follow ups. Nair is a strong finisher at higher percents. Getting the weak front of Bair seems difficult but it might work, I haven't really experimented with it at all (I do use Kirby's front side of Bair a lot, but his has much more coverage than Mario's)

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
A reverse bair is just hitting them with the other side of the hitbox, its still the same hitbox as a normal bair. So just like hitting them behind, if u hit them on the first 3 hitbox frames you will get a strong hit, and the following 9 frames a weak hit.

I use this a bit with doc, the strong hit is good for getting them offstage, but I haven't experimented with it that much, just something I add in to a custom combo.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I haven't gotten as many instances to incorporate it, and I'm thinking Uair seems mostly better. Only situation I can think of it doing work is being put in an edgeguarding situation where you don't have time to turnaround, then maybe? I've been getting my combo game down better, though I was discouraged against Fox and Falco, til I watched some vids and saw that Mario doesn't get Uair chains on them too easily.

Also, AIA Uair and Drop Cancel Nair are getting consistent, though the best setup for them honestly seems like the one from Schmoob's gif, but that's still hype.

Edit: Found some really niche MU knowledge today. When we Dthrow G&W he just sticks to the ground, for some reason, so we can jab reset, until they learn, and then it becomes a tech chase situation. Kinda weird but it was definitely cool shaking the G&W player up with it.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
These boards are ghost town city. I watched a few of HugS breakdowns of his matches, and kind of stole some of his mentality/ thought process and spacing when using Samus Ftilt and Fsmash as it seemed to fit those options for Mario just as well.

Also, I've been opening people up with WD Utilt during DD. It's pretty neat and can get some cool stuff started.

Top Bottom