• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Social Thread

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
Yeah I need to get more comfortable with melee Mario if I wanted pm advice I would go to the pm Mario thread

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
wait this may be a bit random but how are you the most legit Mario in the world and what does it take to be that legit

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
20xx Mario Strat:

At FoD on either side if you tornado with one foot on the grass and one foot in the fountain you'll do it at an angle pointed in towards the center of the stage. This means you can use the side of the tornado pointed up and towards the edge as the worst and most situational anti-air ever.

Britex

Smash Apprentice
20xx Mario Strat:

At FoD on either side if you tornado with one foot on the grass and one foot in the fountain you'll do it at an angle pointed in towards the center of the stage. This means you can use the side of the tornado pointed up and towards the edge as the worst and most situational anti-air ever.
The Grass?

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
I was wondering if I should use doc for some counter stuff I mean they are almost the same right I know some tech skill is different.

Take_the_red_pill

Banned via Warnings
Im glad a rookie agrees with me on pm mario, as much as he is my second biggest rival. Pm mario is such a polar opposite to regular mario and to win with him you need to do a lot of things that you shouldnt consider in melee, such as using short hop dair as an approach, spamming fireballs, and using dtilt. Im not too fond of him personally as he feels like a scrub canon whereas melee mario demands the upmost skill.

a rookie

Smash Ace
I was wondering if I should use doc for some counter stuff I mean they are almost the same right I know some tech skill is different.
Tech skill isn't really too much different. Doc would be a great counter vs Floaties! Mario struggles vs Puff and Peach the most. Where as Doc has a good bair that destroys Peach's recovery and a nice fair that he can throw out and it pays dividends! Doc/Mario can all be used good vs the Top Tiers. Floaties is Mario's toughest MU's in neutral.

Im glad a rookie agrees with me on pm mario, as much as he is my second biggest rival. Pm mario is such a polar opposite to regular mario and to win with him you need to do a lot of things that you shouldnt consider in melee, such as using short hop dair as an approach, spamming fireballs, and using dtilt. Im not too fond of him personally as he feels like a scrub canon whereas melee mario demands the upmost skill.
Heck yeah. It feels like I'm playing Doc w/ no soul. When I L-Cancel in that game, it feels way too artificial. Just doesn't have that feeling like in Melee. Interesting fact: Mario in PM can do double upair from a SH into good combos. So different.

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
a friend said just master one and I`m better with Mario so yeah but thanks for the advice anyways

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
Well duh this is a melee board but that was not the question anyway "is this a melee board ?" Of course

a rookie

Smash Ace
KoopaTroopa895(SoCal), A Rookie(SoCal), SchlimmShady(Germany), ??? :( I don't know of any other consistent Mario's going to tournaments.

Phenoz

Smash Cadet
is there any central location where I can find all the Matchup info for Mario? Like Dogy's Dr.Mario guide.

TheGrifBaller

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGrifballer
3DS FC
2122-8174-1282
I don't know why maybe no one has any questions at this current moment in time and that's ok

ThomasTerminator

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
Hey fellow Mario mains. I'm Thomas Terminator. I joined back last year, but never really had time to post until now :)

I think I found something interesting regarding Mario's D-throw chaingrab.

I figured out during my senior all-nighter Melee tournament last month that if you're quick enough at grabbing, you can actually start chain-grabbing fast fallers like Fox and Falco at a low 40% damage instead of having to wait till you lay out a ton of damage. Using this discovery, I won the tourney.

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
How useful are fireballs and in what situations should I use them? I currently use them for recovery and I try to use them for approaching occasionally, but it doesn't really work

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
Fireballs aren't really good for approaching (unless you're playing pm). They're pretty situational in use, but they do work well for stuffing tech chases if you need it since the second of hitstun it gives might be all you need to reset to the neutral game. Experiment with it

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I like to use fireballs to force people who are camping me to approach, sometimes if someone is playing too defensive and they know what they're doing they can make going in with mario a losing battle.

Also fireballs I find are especially good in the falco MU because you can use them to deny him space to laser you, if you notice he's running away with retreating lasers throw a fireball and chase him down.

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Question on his super wall jump, does the angle you pick for is Up-B make a difference? I usually always go for the maximum horizontal one to get as much into the stage as possible.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Yo, I got into Melee with a friend of mine really hard a little while ago, but my P:M foundation has helped me ease into everything pretty well, and I'm definitely enjoying how much cleaner the game feels, and how much better Mario feels, not in ability but just in game feel.

Since then I've been grinding away the Peach and Marth MU's with two of my friends and getting fairly competent at both, but I was wondering if I'm right on a few things I think I've picked up from these MU's.

Firstly for Marth approaching in the air seems like a bad idea and got me slapped a lot, so is sticking to the ground a lot pretty recommended for this MU? I found that a good punish at lower percents is to CC then Dsmash, or bait a Nair/ Fair/ DA and WD back Fsmash. The things I have trouble with are getting back when I'm hanging on the ledge, and punishing Marth's general wall of hitboxes with his jab/ ftilt/ dtilt/ etc.

I have less questions in regards to Peach, but I'm wondering what to do when she follows me into the air, as I've had some trouble getting back to the ground.

Also is our up B angleable?
How fast do I have to mash B to get lift out of Down B?
Why is Fair > Fair > read techroll Fsmash so satisfying?

Also I had a great moment against Marth where I Fair'd his recovery when he missed his sweetspot, and he Up B'd again and I fair'd again, and then once more, and he missed it the fourth time. It's almost more fun for being a meteor just because there's more shenanigans to be had.

HighTen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, check out the updated video archive post and tell me what you think!

I posted the thread, but I realized I should have made account using my tag instead of my name..... :facepalm:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Mario, doc and luigi have a pretty cool aerial interrupt thing with upair. If you upair as you are rising through a platform, you will get a no impact land type thing and the animation will stop. You then just get normally mid upair landing lag, and you can l-cancel it. With doc it's a little tricky to get a hitbox out but i think marios is a tiny bit more lenient. You can edge cancel it too. It's easiest to do on battlefield and full hopping under the lower platforms.

edit: I was wrong about it being more lenient, it is a frame perfect trick like Doc's, but you do it 2 frames earlier. I go into more detail here http://smashboards.com/threads/doc-advanced-tech-frame-data-megathread.378813/ most of this tech is Mario compatible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom