• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, I'll be playing the original on emulation. Currently, got back mallow's frog coin and starting to travel for tadpole pond.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have something I've been thinking about for a while now and am curious what others might think: If this remake is successful and it does cause a sequel to be made, do you think they would replace the whole party besides Mario? Who might be in a new party? And, if Geno wasn't among the new party, how would that affect his chances for Smash?

For my personal take, I think there would be a change, but along the lines of how party members were handled going from the original Paper Mario to Thousand Year Door. I also think that however it goes for Geno in a new, the fact that there is a new game helps his case due as I think he has enough legacy to keep his place for top pick even among newcomers.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
If this remake is successful and it does cause a sequel to be made, do you think they would replace the whole party besides Mario? Who might be in a new party? And, if Geno wasn't among the new party, how would that affect his chances for Smash?
I think the answer to the first two questions is that it's a total crapshoot right now.

TBH I'm still a little paranoid that nothing may have actually changed in terms of what types of character designs they allow their second and third party devs to create, and that the only reason this game gets away with it is because it's a remake.

For the last question, I do think it'd negatively affect his chances, but even then he'd at least still be in a better position than he was pre-remake.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I have something I've been thinking about for a while now and am curious what others might think: If this remake is successful and it does cause a sequel to be made, do you think they would replace the whole party besides Mario? Who might be in a new party? And, if Geno wasn't among the new party, how would that affect his chances for Smash?

For my personal take, I think there would be a change, but along the lines of how party members were handled going from the original Paper Mario to Thousand Year Door. I also think that however it goes for Geno in a new, the fact that there is a new game helps his case due as I think he has enough legacy to keep his place for top pick even among newcomers.
I think if any of the characters were to not join for RPG 2, it would be Mallow

Probably another Mario character, a unique female, and a surprise character no one would see coming

Geno's chances would skyrocket

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think if any of the characters were to not join for RPG 2, it would be Mallow

Probably another Mario character, a unique female, and a surprise character no one would see coming

Geno's chances would skyrocket
i would think it depends on the ending of SMRPG where the story can take place next because during the ending Geno leaves as he finished serving his purpose in mario world and left it unless if there is a reason he has to come back to mario world by higher authority but Mallow is still in mario world and can come back anytime.

Dukefire

Smash Master
From the original, we already know that Geno returns to the stars after repairing Star Road with the seven star pieces. I think that fate might be the same or changed a bit as Geno's star spirit did grant our wish on seeing SMRPG again nearly 30 years later.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
i would think it depends on the ending of SMRPG where the story can take place next because during the ending Geno leaves as he finished serving his purpose in mario world and left it unless if there is a reason he has to come back to mario world by higher authority but Mallow is still in mario world and can come back anytime.
Here's a possible prediction. Will go ahead and put spoilers regardless incase anyone who haven't played the original don't know the ending

I think it's entirely possible he could end up being sent back after a "warning" made by the stars knowing something more powerful and dangerous than the Smithy gang. Perhaps something like Rosalina was also guardian of the stars or something

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just had a thought; for a possible sequel, how do you all think of Geno possessing something else? Like, same Geno, but different body, maybe a different toy?

Sure, the one in the original Super Mario RPG is more iconic, but I would like to know your thoughts on this idea.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had a thought; for a possible sequel, how do you all think of Geno possessing something else? Like, same Geno, but different body, maybe a different toy?

Sure, the one in the original Super Mario RPG is more iconic, but I would like to know your thoughts on this idea.
I actually think this would be the best way to bring Geno back while still changing things up from a gameplay perspective. Imagine if they decided to revisit Geno wiedling a sword.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i want to see these early concept Geno dolls as an option

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here is something I said on another thread in terms of Geno's chances for the next Smash Bros, in case you all are interested.

Well, Geno is recent, but even if he is not relevant (yes, I know for a fact that his recent appearance is a remake based on an old game), while Geno may not have been the lead character, technically, the game he hails from is still a classic masterpiece, one of the greats, and despite that game's being only in two countries in terms of release and being released at the end of the SNES' lifetime, it was still pretty loved, and the remake can help spread that love. More people will get into it, and it will be in the middle of the lifetime of a successful system, the Switch, with the help of the internet and all. Even if the game itself was irrelevant, it was, and still is still pretty loved, and technically to me, that backs Geno in some way. Maybe not completely, but think about it, if the only game Geno was in, Super Mario RPG, was not popular, good, successful enough, etc, Geno would have less of a chance of getting in Smash.

And Sakurai would have less of a reason to want him playable if Super Mario RPG was not a good game in any way, especially in game quality.

Come to think of it, in terms of Super Mario RPG helping out Geno, I think that even with possible irrelevancy, the game's success and more so, the game's quality and everything behind it could have an effect on Geno's chances altogether, if to an extent. It won't be just Geno the character that helps him out, but to me, the game, and the remake, if it is good, has a good chance of helping him out, making his chances better for him in some way.

You can't just have a good character by themselves to be a candidate in Smash, but everything around them from the rest of the game, too. Even if Geno was not the most important character (and he did play an important enough role in the story), the game he was in is big enough to give him some star power, and add to him more than just his character and role alone.

On top of what I just said, Geno, or at least the game he was from, has, or adds to more to Nintendo history than one may realize.

In terms of Super Mario RPG, while that game never had a sequel, it did inspire and lead to more Mario RPG games being made, the ones that also used timed hits, from Mario and Luigi to at least the first two or three Paper Mario games. With that said, while I am not sure whether or not Super Mario RPG invented timed hits, it did help make it big, especially for when those later Mario RPGs came along and used that feature. Heck! The team that made the Mario and Luigi games, the now defunct AlphaDream, was made of ex-Square Enix employees, if I recall correctly, and for the original Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, where Geno made a cameo, it was said Geno's creator was working for AlphaDream at the time. But most of all, as I may have said, Super Mario RPG has jump started a lot of things for other Mario RPGs, and Geno is part of the original one called Super Mario RPG.

Now, we could put Paper Mario in instead of Geno, or we can have both, but personally, Geno is part of a game that started a lot of things, especially for Mario RPGs, so while it would not hurt to include Paper Mario, why not first put in a character from a Mario RPG that started the rest?

That said, I think Geno, while he still has things against him, could break a lot of barriers that may prevent him or others from getting in, from being from a spinoff game to being from one game from long ago that is third party and all, and that could open the door for other characters in similar situations like Geno to get in. I think Geno would be a "hero" for those other characters in that regard. Granted, Geno has competition from both the Mario side and the Square Enix side, but I do think his history with Nintendo and Mario as well as what he inspired in later Mario RPG games would give him advantage over characters on both sides, since this is a mostly Nintendo game with some third parties joining in. Heck! I'd argue Geno has more going for him than even Waluigi, even if the latter has different circumstances, but you should know what I mean.
What do you all think?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

Leaked screenshot of Geno in Mario RPG 2:
download (7).png

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I hope that there are more secret bosses besides culex.

I want to fight Mario rpg versions of characters from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Nier, and Chrono games. 🥹

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Okay, I have nothing better to do tonight, so I am whipping up a thank-you letter to Nintendo and Square for green-lighting the SMRPG remake. I can set up a Google Doc for it so everybody can sign just like we did when Banjo & Kazooie were revealed a few years ago. If anybody can help with the effort, please reply or PM me or some-such.

It's honestly the bare minimum we can do to thank them. So many of us legitimately thought a remake was never going to happen. Nintendo and Square really did show us that through hard work and effort, we can make positive things happen, so they deserve it.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone else just going absolutely mad at the moment?

Like, I know, it'll be worth the wait when the remake does drop, but it's still about 4 months away, and I wish we got some more screenshots or information to tide things over in the meantime.

1691122742294.png

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Mario RPG was the last major Mario before Charles' big debut in SM64 & now it's 1 of the first to come after he retires. The timing is weird.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, although I still don't think voice acting is going to be a major thing in this game, I do wonder if the new VA for Mario will do some work here. Certainly not for dialogue considering Mario being silent is a comedic goldmine in the original, but perhaps there will be a "wahoo" or two in the game.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly still expecting some kind of voice work to happen here. The mouth movement in that scene of Geno double blasting from his arms is just giving me that expectation. It would feel like a waste of effort if they went through the trouble of animating that, and still not giving us a proper idea of what these guys sound like.

And sure, the recent Pokémon games have had lip sync without voice work, but Square Enix strikes me as caring more about that kind of attention to detail than Gamefreak does, and when they remade Live A Live last year, that ended up getting voice work.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really wonder how much the demand for Geno in Smash may have factored into the remakes existence. I am not going to place my bets on it being the main reason, but I wouldn't be shocked if the want for Geno was used to prove there was a demand or something (If he did well in the ballot I am sure that could be used as an actual concrete statistic). I doubt we will ever know for sure, but I can only imagine the various reactions the internet would have if some dev interview mentioned that Geno for Smash played some influence in the remake project getting made.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I really wonder how much the demand for Geno in Smash may have factored into the remakes existence. I am not going to place my bets on it being the main reason, but I wouldn't be shocked if the want for Geno was used to prove there was a demand or something (If he did well in the ballot I am sure that could be used as an actual concrete statistic). I doubt we will ever know for sure, but I can only imagine the various reactions the internet would have if some dev interview mentioned that Geno for Smash played some influence in the remake project getting made.
I understand what you mean. As unrealistic and as much as a joke this may be, I can imagine them saying something like "Geno will be in the next Smash Bros. In the meantime, have this.".

Yeah, probably not going to happen, but to me, it is a funny thought.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I understand what you mean. As unrealistic and as much as a joke this may be, I can imagine them saying something like "Geno will be in the next Smash Bros. In the meantime, have this.".

Yeah, probably not going to happen, but to me, it is a funny thought.
I don't imagine they would make that sort of promise considering they have no ability to make that decision for the next Smash, but I feel any hypothetical scenario would very much be like when Sakurai dropped the bombshell that Geno had been considered before when he talked about the Smash 4 Mii costume. A statement of how they saw the demand for Geno and how that might have helped get the ball rolling for the remake is probably the best that can be hoped for.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't imagine they would make that sort of promise considering they have no ability to make that decision for the next Smash, but I feel any hypothetical scenario would very much be like when Sakurai dropped the bombshell that Geno had been considered before when he talked about the Smash 4 Mii costume. A statement of how they saw the demand for Geno and how that might have helped get the ball rolling for the remake is probably the best that can be hoped for.
Well, for starters, the thing I said you replied to was a joke.

Still, with the remake happening, regardless of Geno being in the next Smash Bros. is related to the remake or not, I do see a chance for Geno getting in the next Smash Bros. game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, for starters, the thing I said you replied to was a joke.

Still, with the remake happening, regardless of Geno being in the next Smash Bros. is related to the remake or not, I do see a chance for Geno getting in the next Smash Bros. game.
Sorry, this sort of response is a bit of a bad habit of mine.

Geno has pretty good shot next Smash considering how relevancy is no longer an issue. I think his inclusion will mainly depend on the circumstances of the game itself both in roster and direction.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sorry, this sort of response is a bit of a bad habit of mine.

Geno has pretty good shot next Smash considering how relevancy is no longer an issue. I think his inclusion will mainly depend on the circumstances of the game itself both in roster and direction.
That is fine. No worries.

But yeah, he has a better shot than ever now. I just hope he does not end up as DLC just because Square Enix seems to like their characters to be DLC in terms of their content being in games like Smash Bros., from what I read, anyway.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, I have to know...

What enemies from the original Super Mario RPG game that were made for the game would you all like to see as regular enemies in Mario games? I would personally like to see that blue wolf enemy, or the enemy that looks like a big skeleton that is around some kind of dog house, if that is what it is.

Top Bottom