• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, I have to know...

What enemies from the original Super Mario RPG game that were made for the game would you all like to see as regular enemies in Mario games? I would personally like to see that blue wolf enemy, or the enemy that looks like a big skeleton that is around some kind of dog house, if that is what it is.
I think its mainly because they are one of the few enemies to appear in later games (Paper Mario NPCs to be specific), but I am curious how the Shamans would work as an enemy. They could be an interesting alternative magic user to the Magikoopa, perhaps in scenarios where the Koopa Troop is minimally involved or if they wanted to make Kamek the sole Magikoopa in the game.

Btw, is there any known reason for why the Shamans are seemingly allowed in Paper Mario?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Btw, is there any known reason for why the Shamans are seemingly allowed in Paper Mario?
I literally had to look up who these guys were and they apparently originally appeared in Super Mario RPG. I guess they were used because Paper Mario 64 was originally going to be called Super Mario RPG 2?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I literally had to look up who these guys were and they apparently originally appeared in Super Mario RPG. I guess they were used because Paper Mario 64 was originally going to be called Super Mario RPG 2?
I’ve always liked the Shamans. They've always endured. They were even in all the way up to Super Paper Mario albeit with slightly different designs.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Every once and awhile I am reminded of the existence of Mario Hoops 3-on-3/Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street and find myself confused all over again about how they don't have any SMRPG character despite having Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters respectively. Fortune Street did have one SMRPG remix, but in some ways that confuses me even more.

Being reminded of this does give me a fun idea though. If they were to ever add in more direct Final Fantasy nods to the remake, the Mario Sports versions of the Final Fantasy classes would be pretty cool cameos.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Every once and awhile I am reminded of the existence of Mario Hoops 3-on-3/Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street and find myself confused all over again about how they don't have any SMRPG character despite having Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters respectively. Fortune Street did have one SMRPG remix, but in some ways that confuses me even more.

Being reminded of this does give me a fun idea though. If they were to ever add in more direct Final Fantasy nods to the remake, the Mario Sports versions of the Final Fantasy classes would be pretty cool cameos.
It's most likely that Mallow and Geno, while owned by Square-Enix(or even are co-owned), are on a "deal basis" where they are only used in conjunction with Nintendo's approval(as well as SE's approval, if more co-owned specifically). Didn't one of them not hit the US shore either? Besides, considering how hard it was to get it on the VC, it's pretty clear the actual SMRPG originals are just a pain to deal with on both ends. We just lack true details.

Also, usually any music in a Square-Enix game isn't owned by SE itself but the composer. So that likely is why it was able to get in. It's also unclear who actually owns the music since Nintendo was involved with SMRPG, though is usually hands-off for most franchises they license a game out of. Nintendo doesn't work the same way as SE does with music ownership(most companies don't, really), sooooooooo it's likely even more complicated.

It's kind of the unfortunate part about SMRPG. If it was a standalone game, it wouldn't be so awkward. But it's clearly Nintendo's core IP, they just don't have ownership fully of every piece of it. In a way, you could attribute it to being like a Crossover. Square-Enix owns certain bits and Nintendo owns certain bits. A crude comparison, but it somewhat fits the way the licensing is easier to look at.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's most likely that Mallow and Geno, while owned by Square-Enix(or even are co-owned), are on a "deal basis" where they are only used in conjunction with Nintendo's approval(as well as SE's approval, if more co-owned specifically). Didn't one of them not hit the US shore either? Besides, considering how hard it was to get it on the VC, it's pretty clear the actual SMRPG originals are just a pain to deal with on both ends. We just lack true details.

Also, usually any music in a Square-Enix game isn't owned by SE itself but the composer. So that likely is why it was able to get in. It's also unclear who actually owns the music since Nintendo was involved with SMRPG, though is usually hands-off for most franchises they license a game out of. Nintendo doesn't work the same way as SE does with music ownership(most companies don't, really), sooooooooo it's likely even more complicated.

It's kind of the unfortunate part about SMRPG. If it was a standalone game, it wouldn't be so awkward. But it's clearly Nintendo's core IP, they just don't have ownership fully of every piece of it. In a way, you could attribute it to being like a Crossover. Square-Enix owns certain bits and Nintendo owns certain bits. A crude comparison, but it somewhat fits the way the licensing is easier to look at.
I can get full game stuff, but the characters? Geno appeared in the original Superstar Saga after all, and that game wasn't a full blown crossover like Mario Hoops 3-on-3/Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street are. And sure, Geno did not cameo in the Superstar Saga remake, but clearly Alpha Dream had bigger things to worry about in hindsight.

Also looked it up, and Fortune Street as a series has a lot of Japanese exclusives, but iterations such as the 2011 game did get localized.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can get full game stuff, but the characters? Geno appeared in the original Superstar Saga after all, and that game wasn't a full blown crossover like Mario Hoops 3-on-3/Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street are. And sure, Geno did not cameo in the Superstar Saga remake, but clearly Alpha Dream had bigger things to worry about in hindsight.

Also looked it up, and Fortune Street as a series has a lot of Japanese exclusives, but iterations such as the 2011 game did get localized.
Think of it this way; Nintendo doesn't want the characters in. Also, said games were developed independently of Nintendo but basically created for their system. So ultimately, it was a matter of "do we care about these characters when we can stick with the more iconic ones?". Nintendo might've liked the idea or even asked... if they developed it. Also Fortune Street is a Dragon Quest-based crossover. It's worth noting Square and Enix actually don't work much together when it comes to franchise. They're practically different companies at times even still. This is part of why we didn't get the SMRPG stuff on Smash DLC till Sephiroth. It didn't fit with Dragon Quest at all(though given there's multiple different owners of the IP, that may have also played a role in why they're so separated).

It would've been a great spot for them, though. To be honest, something like Mario Kart may have a better chance since it focuses on lesser characters far more often, and is actually made by Nintendo and its subsidaries. 3 on 3 is more odd, but as noted, Square made it as more of a Final Fantasy game with Mario guests. That said, they should be reused more in stuff like that, as long as they are feasible to get. Mario Kart etc. sell tons, so that's not an issue.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Think of it this way; Nintendo doesn't want the characters in. Also, said games were developed independently of Nintendo but basically created for their system. So ultimately, it was a matter of "do we care about these characters when we can stick with the more iconic ones?". Nintendo might've liked the idea or even asked... if they developed it. Also Fortune Street is a Dragon Quest-based crossover. It's worth noting Square and Enix actually don't work much together when it comes to franchise. They're practically different companies at times even still. This is part of why we didn't get the SMRPG stuff on Smash DLC till Sephiroth. It didn't fit with Dragon Quest at all(though given there's multiple different owners of the IP, that may have also played a role in why they're so separated).

It would've been a great spot for them, though. To be honest, something like Mario Kart may have a better chance since it focuses on lesser characters far more often, and is actually made by Nintendo and its subsidaries. 3 on 3 is more odd, but as noted, Square made it as more of a Final Fantasy game with Mario guests. That said, they should be reused more in stuff like that, as long as they are feasible to get. Mario Kart etc. sell tons, so that's not an issue.
I guess the divide between the Square and Enix sides makes sense, but even Mario Sports Mix has a Slime.

I do hope Mallow and Geno could show up whatever sort of Mario spin off, be it Mario Kart, Party, or Sports game. Perhaps the remake will facilitate that, but it might take a bit before any opportunity can arrive, especially with the weird state Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is in right now.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, in the case of those SE developed Mario titles, I also think it's possible that the dev teams behind them didn't work on SMRPG and thus didn't have much affinity for it and its characters. Do keep in mind that a large part of the SMRPG dev team had already left SE by that point IIRC and were working at other places like you know, Alpha Dream, whose first Mario & Luigi game did include Geno in some form.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
So, what are we thinking the odds are like, of Mario RPG having some sort of presence in the next Direct?

When Superstar Saga got remade, I don't remember that getting a lot of attention, besides the additional news of the side mode, but considering we still don't really know what the percentage meter is for, maybe that could be expanded upon, if it got its own segment.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, what are we thinking the odds are like, of Mario RPG having some sort of presence in the next Direct?

When Superstar Saga got remade, I don't remember that getting a lot of attention, besides the additional news of the side mode, but considering we still don't really know what the percentage meter is for, maybe that could be expanded upon, if it got its own segment.
I think we will get some sort of reminder of it at least. It hasn't been brought up much since the last Direct, but it makes sense that they would focus mostly on Wonder as the big new Mario game that is coming out sooner than RPG.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Well let's be honest, for numerous reasons Mario RPG is in a much better position to make money than even the Superstar Saga remake was, so I'd imagine Nintendo will highlight it, especially for younger fans that haven't gotten the chance to play the original.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think we will get some sort of reminder of it at least. It hasn't been brought up much since the last Direct, but it makes sense that they would focus mostly on Wonder as the big new Mario game that is coming out sooner than RPG.
I imagine it will get a small nod regardless. But I don't think it's going to get a ton of spotlight in a direct unless there's new content.

It's gonna get marketing regardless.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Forget that, that one was for last year. Fooled again.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't recognize this character in SMRPG.......maybe my memory isn't familiar with that one.
1000011997.jpg

Still, hearing Beware of the Forest Mushrooms remake track feels great.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was confused when they showed Bowser in the party before the Punchinello battle, but I'm glad to see that we're getting post-game content with the rematches against bosses. (Also, the super moves are cool! It makes me wish that Mario wasn't a fixed party member so we could get more combinations)

Also, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door getting a remake is exciting! I'll hold off on that one and wait to see if there are any additions to the game, but I'm looking forward to seeing people who didn't have it on the Gamecube get a chance to play it.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

The reason why is because Geno fans had to fight for literal decades to get any meaningful recognition for the franchise. The big hurdle was the split between Square and Nintendo back when FF7 was put onto the PS1 instead of the N64. It took many many years and much protesting and campaigning on our end to get them to finally bury the hatchet and allow Super Mario RPG content into Nintendo games again.

Thankfully we've overcome that hurdle and now there are only great times ahead of us.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
So, from what I'm seeing here, it looks like that Pink Star Piece from the first trailer will be found on Star Hill now, and the Purple one has replaced the dark blue one you get from Johnny.

Because going clockwise, it follows the same order you find the Star Pieces in.

1694718352269.png

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
The things that are on my mind at this moment regarding the two remakes;

TTYD: Make Luigi's Marvelous Compass story a side mode!

SMRPG: Since we're confirmed to get boss rematches as post-game content, how will the ending be tackled? Does Geno still leave and just comes back later, or does he stick around after having gotten used to being around the rest of the party?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Some things people have noticed in the TTYD remake trailer:

Partners and possibly other characters have back-facing sprites now. Never realized this wasn't a thing before:
nice-little-detail-i-noticed-partners-have-back-sprites-now-v0-xj79fqde59ob1.jpg

Characters are more animated than they used to be:
npcs-new-animations-give-me-life-v0-vdmxih5siaob1.png

npcs-new-animations-give-me-life-v0-peooci5siaob1.png

Apparently this Toad wasn't in the original game? He even has a unique design, with a kung fu uniform and what looks to be a topknot:
thats-a-new-toad-right-there-v0-qojrpfu8r8ob1.png

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The things that are on my mind at this moment regarding the two remakes;

TTYD: Make Luigi's Marvelous Compass story a side mode!

SMRPG: Since we're confirmed to get boss rematches as post-game content, how will the ending be tackled? Does Geno still leave and just comes back later, or does he stick around after having gotten used to being around the rest of the party?
I'm guessing the post game won't be set after the story. I'm guessing there will be a new area where the bosses are refought. Like an Arena or something.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My only real worry with Mario RPG is that the perfect timing attacks hitting all enemies and the triple move might make a decently breezy game too easy. I'm hoping that enemies have been scaled to fit both and/or that there's an unlockable hard mode beyond just the post game boss rematches.

Incidentally with Mario role playing games being remade, fingers crossed that Super Paper Mario gets its shot on the next console. Its a solid game that deserves HD visuals and the gyro could easily replace the pointer elements.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm hyped for Mario RPG. I like the new mechanics but I hope the game won't be made more easy by them, it already was. The best would be if there's a harder difficulty (and not just the boss rematches).
Edit: Guess I'm not the only one who's more focused on that xD

I still have paper mario on gamecube so not really hyped for that one. It's cool I guess

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The hardest part of Super Mario RPG was the isometric platforming(which has been a pain sometimes in getting certain items and during the Bowser's Castle segment). Culex aside.

Game is rather easy, imo. Like, obviously some fights aren't "hyper easy" by any means. The game doesn't really hold your hand, as you still need to be good with timing.

Even with this, I hope they don't overboost enemies too to match it. The team attack may also be something like once per battle and disabled against bosses. It'll be interesting what they do with these things.

TTYD I'm more interested in seeing what balance changes they have. Stuff like Danger Mario is rather broken, so that could be nerfed. We already see a new NPC, so while the story is probably the same, we might get new side quests/mythology gags. Things like the various poster gags could be changed up too.

Top Bottom