• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mafia/Newbie 10! Game Over! Scum Wins!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Thank you for the explanation Meta-Kirby. It seems like you always provide the most convenient solutions at the most haphazard moments. With you as our IC I feel confident in a town victory.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
While I approve with the majority of your post, the OP stated that the flavor was strictly that- flavor. It had no attached lore, which meant that one did not have to be familiar with the games to understand the roles. That's in response to Paragraph 1.

Looking at paragraph 2: One can argue this, but if a mafia is already basically doomed to lynching, then this could be considered a smart move to some degree. If somebody WERE to come up and counterclaim, then they would have baited the doctor out of hiding. If they don't, then the scum could have potentially just saved themselves. In my opinion, it's the best call to make for scum that is in their most desperate hour. And things were looking pretty dire for Tery.

Paragraph 3: I can agree with you completely on these points.

Paragraph 4: It is this attitude that really drew him into the crossfire I think. This is the main reason behind which I have my probability statements earlier.

@Paragraph 5: That's a handful. Time to think.

Terywj said:
I understand it is stupid. Very, very stupid. However, I'd rather we understand that I am the Jailer/Peach and that we should spend the rest of our time weeding out other members or bandwagons, much like what Grump has done. Since I'm very likely to die Night 1, it would in our interest to attempt to lure out information from the two Mafia in our remaining time.
Wow. Way to flip my reads entirely :p This is basically what I was starting to do. STRONG towntell points.

Also, I'm not sure if anybody caught this. But he mentioned that the Mod PMed her that it wasn't possible. Would X1 have done this if he wasn't Peach? Was this bait place in an attempt to throw us offguard?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Wow. Way to flip my reads entirely :p This is basically what I was starting to do. STRONG towntell points.
I don't get was this means... :c

Also, I'm not sure if anybody caught this. But he mentioned that the Mod PMed her that it wasn't possible. Would X1 have done this if he wasn't Peach? Was this bait place in an attempt to throw us offguard?
Do you know my gender yet? You call me both genders in that part.
You could blame X1 for not telling me that earlier but I had already assumed as much since that would be kinda cheap. Also, Meta-Kirby's earlier logical analysis on why a Jailer can't self-jail makes sense.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Basically, you did good Tery. While I am still suspicious of you, this post has cleared up a few points of contention that I had.

I know you are male, but the initial impression that you were female has stuck with me >.< On the upside, at least I got it right 2/3 of the time :p

M.K

Level 55
Nah, she's lying Grump. Tery's short for Teresa, Teresa Evans....attorney at she-law.

Anyhow.

Thank you for the explanation Meta-Kirby. It seems like you always provide the most convenient solutions at the most haphazard moments. With you as our IC I feel confident in a town victory.
Yes, that is the beauty of the game of Mafia.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Also, since Vandie and Seph may not be available to answer my question any time soon...

What does anybody else think about the proposed "No townies can vote Ubermario" deal?

@Acrostic: What would you do if, at this moment, the deadline was swooshed to 10 minutes from now, and we had no counterclaim to the jailer role?

@Glyph: What are your personal reasons for dropping that vote? Are you still suspicious? What would you do if the same scenario was posed to you as was to Acrostic?

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Guaranteed answers incoming! Hot diggity dawg.

As asked earlier, how would you feel if people claimed that you and Vandie were using the Ubermario /vote = scum rule as a sort of self-protection statement?

Do you feel that Ubermario is giving forth enough discussion to be cleared of your stance?

I know that you will probably be posting your idea on the Tery claim, but can you think of any reasons that would invalidate your read, whatever it may be?

What's your opinion on MK's mass-claim coverage?

That's all for now. As I'm sure you all have noticed, I love questions.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
@MK: Meant to say earlier that I'm so incredibly town it's painful :p. Who should we lunch now?

@Grump: Becase lynching UberMario back then would of been idiotic. Of course, if he flipped scum it would be fortunate for town, but an idiotic move nonetheless. People are free to vote whoever they want, I'm just warning that putting someone at L-1 in a newbie game where people aren't that familiar with voting and such could be potentially hazardous.

So I'm still noticing that Glyph has only really suspected Tery, and he's doesn't seem too interested in finding other scum so I'll

unvote: Uber
vote: Glyph

Tell me who you think is scum.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
@Acrostic: Wonderful question indeed! My current suspects hinge on a few questions that I've tossed out (particularly the ones I've given Vandie, Glyph, and Seph). Vandie may be the most prominent of these, but this is based on gut feeling, which I don't pay much heed to.

@MK: I don't think it would be a good idea. Originally, Ranmaru had posted a vote on Ubermario because he wasn't being very active. After this, Vandie and Seph had both latched onto this and claimed that if anybody else voted for Ubermario, they would be deemed as scum and prime suspect for lynchage. In hindsight (which is always more clear than present sight), I'm most curious if this wasn't some way for them to cover their own base while appearing to be pro-town.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
EBWOP - Ninjad

Actually, cross that Vandie prominence. He supplied a valid reason that I agree with, and it matches his attitude throughout the game. He's less of a suspect for now. Now it's up to Seph and Glyph.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Glyph said:
So Tery, what exactly IS your role?
Glyph said:
Okay, does that make you vanilla? Jailer? Tracker? What are you?
Glyph said:
He wants so see if you know.
Glyph said:
Exactly, if someone comes forward to counterclaim your role as Peach then we've pretty much ensured we get to kill off scum, be it you or whoever counterclaims.
Glyph said:
So Acrostic, you're saying that those of us who pressured Tery to reveal his role are the prime scum suspects now?
It is one thing to tunnel. It is quite another to role fish. What was Glyph possibly looking for past the initial townie claim is something that could never help town at all.

Vote Glyph

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Guaranteed answers incoming! Hot diggity dawg.

1. As asked earlier, how would you feel if people claimed that you and Vandie were using the Ubermario /vote = scum rule as a sort of self-protection statement?

2. Do you feel that Ubermario is giving forth enough discussion to be cleared of your stance?

3. I know that you will probably be posting your idea on the Tery claim, but can you think of any reasons that would invalidate your read, whatever it may be?

4. What's your opinion on MK's mass-claim coverage?

That's all for now. As I'm sure you all have noticed, I love questions.
1. Do you mean accussed? Why would this be self protecting? It's more limmiting than anything. It means that neither of us can vote others for pressure.

2. Clearly not, he hasn't posted anything worth mentioning all game.

3. Only thing I can think of is a CC or if the mod came in from nowhere and proved to us that he isn't the Jailer.

4. What do you mean opinion? He just explained what a mass claim is and when it should and shouldn't be used. Mass claims are usually saved for late game since it clears the surviving town PR and eliminates them from the lynch suspets. Doing it early game only outs them and paints targets on their heads.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
@Seph who I assume is our 4th member: If we lynched Glyph and he flipped scum who do you think Tery should Jail (aka who would his scum buddy be).

@Grump: Funny that, what do you think of UberMario and would you lynch Seph before him?

Grump

Smash Apprentice
Gosh darnit Acrostic STOP STEALING MY FIRE!

Jk, glad to see I wasn't the only person that noticed this.

Really wish he would magically pop up and answer. That would help loads.

M.K

Level 55
UberMario needs pressure.

Vote: UberMario

Kinda glanced over his posts and his reads are polar that of mine, therefore, I'm inclined to believe something is askew in his alignment

Grump

Smash Apprentice
@Seph:
@1: I mean if people accused you of playing townie police (figuratively) as a cover-up for a being a scum pair. It didn't really limit you because you could change your vote at an time while still holding the ultimatum.

@4: I just wanted your take on it, if you agreed or disagreed, etc. etc. Nothing more. :p

@Vandie: How to answer your question fairly.... Before reading Seph's post, I probably would have lynched him first. Now that I read his (and yours), and seeing that both reasonings seem to line up with your previous standpoints, and that I don't see any logical reason for you to lie with your current arguments, I would have to say that I would lynch Ubermario before Seph. This is why I toss out questions all the time. It's a constant balancing game and I hate to overly question any one person unless I'm 75% sure they are scum. Even then, I constantly badger them because, as the Tery incident proves, I can (and most likely will) be wrong on occasion.

Edit: MK? Have you even been reading what I've just been asking? You're vote declares otherwise o.o

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Screw you Acro and Vandy. I was going to make a case on Glyph! :mad:

Here was my post that I was going to use. Feel free to do with it what you will.

"
I'd kick myself for lynching a townie, but I wouldn't be devastated. Tery has consistently posted information that could be considered scummy, and offered very little to assist the town side.

That and very very surprised.

In response to MK's post, I'm really not sure what direction to go with it. I want to try to get a read off who could have what alignment based off who we get to vote, but with inactivity that's probably not going to work at all. And on top of that, I can't just look for the person who votes for him without having prodded him for information, because several people have already taken apart almost all of his posts.

So I guess what I'm saying is I won't pick anyone out as definitely town based off this vote, nor will I decided someone is definitely mafia.

Tery, your most recent is post, once again, and appeal to emotion. You're trying to paint yourself as a selfless hero trying to save Uber from being lynched by sacrificing yourself.

He's just reusing what MK has said earlier and placeing the most recent action.

Aaaaand I'm going to go ahead and call you on your self voting thing. If you're going to vote for yourself, go ahead and do it. At this point the only way I'll ever believe you're town is when the mod specifically tells me you are. In fact, I'd like everyone who's not currently voting for Terywj to seriously consider changing their vote. He's already been given chance after chance and hasn't produced a defense that I would deem any better than "shaky".
More parrotting and proof that he wanted this lynch to end fast.

Shall I give you another shovel?"

Meh I'll look for scum #2, you theifs!

Unvote

Grump

Smash Apprentice
EBWOP: Had to grab the post #

I'm looking at post #273, MK. Take a look at it.

M.K

Level 55
oh wait, that was L-1?
Unvote

Damn. My bad.

REGARDLESS, we need pressure on him ;) Just not in vote-form.

M.K

Level 55
Vand, tell me if you share the same sentiment:

I see alot of our newbies taking votes a little too literal.

Scenario:
Billy, Joe, Shaniqua, and Sally are playing a game of Mafia.
Billy decides to vote for Shaniqua.
Shaniqua gets out of her ghetto room, runs through her stored-hoardes-of-grape-drank, and busts a cap in Billy's ***.

Votes are not to be taken literal. In fact ,as a townie (even moreso for Vanilla townies), your vote is your BEST weapon to utilize. When I vote uber, its for pressure. It doesn't mean I want him gone that instant. It means I'm threatening him with a slightly more aggressive form of argument; the threat that his argument will continue to exist at all in this game.

Votes are not to be taken so "oh my , you just voted! Heathen!", but moreso as very, very concentrated areas of pressure.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
@MK:

I was under the impression that voting without valid backup and reasoning, or even swapping up your votes too much, was a huge red flag for scummage? This is why I'm somewhat reserved with my votes (and why it's so hard to convince me to peel it off, most times). How often is heavy voting viewed as scummy?

M.K

Level 55
You're right. There's a difference between a flip flopper and justified votes.. However, simply back your votes up with significant facts/concerns and you're good.
For example, clicking the number next to the thread title gives you the total number of posts of each player in this game. At this point in the game, UberMario has 12 posts.

Now this may be my OWN personal opinion, but any player with less posts than the Game moderator (X1-12) needs to be pressured to get their act in gear. A vote is a good way to do that.

Bad voting patterns include flip-flopping in the middle of a heated debate. Then you can tell it's fake or something. Like, if the player is going HARDCORE towards someone, then drops it entirely, you can realize something is up with their voting.

Using your vote is not bad, and you can ask Vanderzant, I also hold the same "reserving your vote" tendency as you, but I've learned to apply it when neccesary and to strengthen my own argument.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
In this case, I hope it's justified for me to go ahead and use my vote then.
vote Glyph
He doesn't really post much, so I want to make sure that when he does, he has more motivation to answer my questions. Post #407.

I also feel as though I was baited into chasing after Tery so aggressively by Glyph. Perhaps he saw me as being gullible and overly-hotheaded enough to take the bait and make the chase for him, so he can somewhat keep his hands clean. A clever play if that's the case.
A further question for Glyph: Who are you getting the strongest town reads from, at this point in time?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
@Seph who I assume is our 4th member: If we lynched Glyph and he flipped scum who do you think Tery should Jail (aka who would his scum buddy be).
Not really sure atm, probably Acro for this.

Blatant buddying of MK. His case on Glyph could be seen as bussing.

Who do you think should be the target.

M.K

Level 55
Really Seph? I'd simply attribute that "blatant buddying" to the Newbie/IC relationships required of this game.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
With regards to the advice in Post #349 leading to disastrous consequences. Next time I will use italics. Just because Sephiroth Masaume is special.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Not really sure atm, probably Acro for this. Blatant buddying of MK. His case on Glyph could be seen as bussing.
Also what. Bussing on D1? Bussing before anyone raised any argument? I wasn't even involved for the past two days, much less got involved with Tery or Glyph cause I was too busy tracking you most of the time.

Top Bottom