• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
She's outclassed by Funky Kong though. He's the most popular choice for the time trials since he's the only large character with a +2 Speed handicap. Practically every world champ uses him.
Yeah I know this, most WRs use Funky Kong. But I was referring to the Competition on Mushroom Gorge, Rosalina was better than Funky in that.

Also, I know that at least one person from smashboards has held a WR in this game, this person being Zgetto. I was on a European regional top 10 list for a little while ages ago, but that's mad hard to do by now. The Australian regional list is easiest to get on, so if someone from over there wants to they can get on the list with some effort.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I just now own this game, I'm going to get everything before I go online. But I guess I'm late getting this game.

Lovely

Smash Lord

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I don't know why everybody is *****ing about this game being dumbed down. Doesn't anybody play Time Trials anymore (besides to unlock certain characters) Surely time trials should be like the only thing considered the only competitive aspect in ANY Mario Kart game.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Most people are *****ing about the overpowered items in this game, but I still find it to be really fun. The only thing I don't really like is the lack of balance between the vehicles.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Overpowering items was always around since MK64. You could get a Star, Golden Mushroom, or Lighting Bolt in 2nd place in that game. And don't get me started on the feather. :O

But as I said, I think Time Trials is best suited for the competitive edge. It's just sounds... logical to me. And there are websites devoted to breaking records. Not multiplayer races. o.o

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It's based on your VR, your place and and your opponents' VR.

If you get 1st and the people you beat have lower VR, you will not gain many points.
If you get 1st and the people you beat have higher VR, you will gain a lot more points.

If you lose to people with lower VR, you will lose many points.
If you lose to people with higher VR, you will not lose many points. You might even gain points.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Overpowering items was always around since MK64. You could get a Star, Golden Mushroom, or Lighting Bolt in 2nd place in that game. And don't get me started on the feather. :O

But as I said, I think Time Trials is best suited for the competitive edge. It's just sounds... logical to me. And there are websites devoted to breaking records. Not multiplayer races. o.o

Meh, in the 64 version, the Golden Mushroom wasn't even that good, you didn't gain that much speed when using it. The lightning bolt couldn't hit you when you were airborne, and you still kept your item when hit by it.

Then again, even with the luck and overpowered items there is still a competetive point to multiplayer races. As certain items do to precision and timing to use, and interaction with other racers and hazards aren't always the same as they are in time trials.

Not to say going for faster times in time trails isn't competetive though.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The lightning bolt couldn't hit you when you were airborne.
The lighting bolt can hit while airborne. I've screwed many AI in Wario Stadium by doing that. Throw in the fact that I manage to get to first at the time, the lead after the race was over was ridiculous :laugh:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I hate that they took out specials, that made picking certain characters, although overpowered, very interesting. At the very least they could have left in certain items such as the Bowser shell, Yoshi egg, fireballs and giant bananas. I also think that the squid or whatever it is, is the most worthless item ever. If I'm in 6th on the final stretch what good is a dumb squid going to do?

I also hate how they made the walls, if you hit a wall you're screwed even if you have a star and lightning strikes way too often but other than that the game is fine. At least online works.

Lovely

Smash Lord
lol, if you hit the wall in going to fast in 64, you some times spin out, even if you try to drift. I'll say SC was the most unfair with the coin game and such.

So far I got all the characters, just need all the carts is all. :D

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
I went into this thinking 150cc was gonna be cheap.

Lies. People just whine too much.

I like everything about the game except the nerfing of Battle Mode and the wall thing and the Blooper. And what they did to the Jungle Parkway shortcut. You know the one.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't really see how they dumbed it down, if anything it's harder to catch a good racer because red shells don't lock on properly so they smash into random objects [my red shell swerved into a mushroom] or walls, to me it's just people crying wolf because snaking is gone. I used to snake a little bit but not to the point where I think it makes the game competitive so the fact that they took it out doesn't bother me that much.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I don't really see how they dumbed it down, if anything it's harder to catch a good racer because red shells don't lock on properly so they smash into random objects [my red shell swerved into a mushroom] or walls, to me it's just people crying wolf because snaking is gone. I used to snake a little bit but not to the point where I think it makes the game competitive so the fact that they took it out doesn't bother me that much.
The only complaint I have is the rubber band system is much more random, somtimes it is so easy to sweep a match and other times you feel there is a blueshell riding your a$$ ever 5 seconds, but I am fine other then that.

I proved to my friend once how snaking gets you nowhere, I beat him. and we had items OFF.(mind you this was in MKDD)

race anyone?

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
The only complaint I have is the rubber band system is much more random, somtimes it is so easy to sweep a match and other times you feel there is a blueshell riding your a$$ ever 5 seconds...
I once got hit by 4 Blue Shells. In the last lap. I still got second. They weren't that good.

Also, there was one instance where I shot a Red Shell at a player on a straightaway from 10 feet behind him, and he teleported 20 feet forward, making the Red Shell commit suicide due to the confusion. Lol, lag.

If I ever get hit by 5 Blue Shells in one lap, I'm unplugging my Wii and going outside to get some air.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been doing some intense work with my Time Trial records, and I must say that's it's harder to accomplish in this game compared to Mario Kart Double Dash!!.

Hitting just one wall screws you up when you're using vehicles with poor acceleration ratings; in Double Dash!!, your speed doesn't completely drop when you hit walls.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I hate that the framerate goes to **** with 3 or more people on the same console, it's really annoying, I wonder what happened there.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeah, when it rains, it pours. The items are a bit over powered. I'm tired of being ahead by several seconds then getting spiny-ed, pow'ed, red shelled, and then to top it all of bloope'ed

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I only have one star, and I think I'm going leave it at that, I can barely 2 star anything and I don't even think I have any 3 stars.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I went into this thinking 150cc was gonna be cheap.

Lies. People just whine too much.

I like everything about the game except the nerfing of Battle Mode and the wall thing and the Blooper. And what they did to the Jungle Parkway shortcut. You know the one.
lol, I was so pissed when I played on Jungle Parkway and tried using it again. At least the bridge is still narrow enough that good banana placement can really screw with people.

Since I started playing this online fairly regularly (Fortunately I don't find it at all laggy, unlike Brawl): My FC is 4339-4215-2261

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I would love to have a race with any of you. Just private message me and we'll set a date and time. :)

I think it's best if we gather up at least a small party. It's always fun to play with multiple people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom