• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Thino

Smash Master
I thought it would be Baby Daisy with the Built Bike since lightweights are very easy to use and heavyweights are more complex. Daisy with the Mach Bike is in between easy and hard to use compere with the Baby Daisy and Funky Kong.
Bullet bike just take corners tighter than Flame Runner , except on tracks with very hard curves like GCN DK Mountain or slippery tracks like Sherbet Land or N64 DK Jungle Parkway ,you dont even feel the difference.

but Bullet Bike has less speed , and its lack of weight can be a disadvange sometimes (easily bumped out of the road by heavies , a lot of air time on jumps )

so yea Mach Bike is the compromise

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I just recently got this game, lol. Is there some general concencus on what is the best character/vehicle combo?

I'm just wondering if anyone in this game is Meta-Knight-broken. lol

Darkurai

Smash Master
I just recently got this game, lol. Is there some general concencus on what is the best character/vehicle combo?

Being a racing game, the game is really pretty balanced.

But yes, there are a lot of hackers. The people that use hacking online are really the worst kind of people.

UberMario

Smash Master
Being a racing game with different stats per character, the game is really pretty unbalanced.
Fixed. Mario Kart DS proved balance is only possible in Mario Kart if all characters are equal, and can chose any cars they wanted.

You think Meta is broken?

Daisy, Baby Daisy, and Funky are so broken, that you lose half-a-lap a race just driving as a different character, and it's pretty much no-contest for bikes against karts.

Funny how making a variety of stats for characters means there will be a lot less variety in reasonable (by comparison) choices.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Bullet bike just take corners tighter than Flame Runner , except on tracks with very hard curves like GCN DK Mountain or slippery tracks like Sherbet Land or N64 DK Jungle Parkway ,you dont even feel the difference.

but Bullet Bike has less speed , and its lack of weight can be a disadvange sometimes (easily bumped out of the road by heavies , a lot of air time on jumps )

so yea Mach Bike is the compromise
I guess compering to the Flame Runner it's not fast at all, thought Baby Daisy would make it around a Mach Bike level, lol. Also as you already know, small weights can easy brush off an attack that hits, and a heavy weights takes time to regain their speed, the reason why Funky Kong is not higher than Baby Daisy and Daisy on the tier list,. Flame Runner as you say is the best Bike in the game, though I am surprise that Dolphin Dasher is better than Mach Bike, but I don't see people handling it very well. XD

Fixed. Mario Kart DS proved balance is only possible in Mario Kart if all characters are equal, and can chose any cars they wanted.
Well, I guess Mario Kart DS didn't have noticeable unbalanced though I find ROB BLS, Dry Bomber, and Poltergust a ***** to handle against, lol.

Games'n'Music

Smash Cadet
Are you serious?! Double Dash is loads better than the 64 version, in my opinion. If I had to choose the worse one, it would be the SNES version, hands down.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you say that the 64 version is better than the rest?

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart DS is my favorite video game of all time, period. It is so complex, and the 1-player battle mode is so fun, and the online has provided me with hundreds of hours of enjoyment. The challenges are fun, the time trials demand near perfection, there's just so much good stuff. Tracks from every game, ect. 11/10

Thino

Smash Master

Daisy, Baby Daisy, and Funky are so broken, that you lose half-a-lap a race just driving as a different character, and it's pretty much no-contest for bikes against karts.

Funny how making a variety of stats for characters means there will be a lot less variety in reasonable (by comparison) choices.
IMO the "tier" differences are much more in the vehicles than the characters.

you'll hardly notice the difference between a Baby Peach+Bullet Bike and a Baby Daisy+Bullet Bike
There is one , but its certainly very far from half a lap.

on the other hand good luck being Funky Kong+Jetsetter and catching up to a Birdo+Mach Bike.

thats why if I had to tell anyone/anything that is broken or at least top tier in this game , it would be the top 3 vehicles : Bullet Bike , Mach Bike , Flame Runner

any combination of character with these vehicles can be easily competitive

I guess compering to the Flame Runner it's not fast at all, thought Baby Daisy would make it around a Mach Bike level, lol. Also as you already know, small weights can easy brush off an attack that hits, and a heavy weights takes time to regain their speed, the reason why Funky Kong is not higher than Baby Daisy and Daisy on the tier list,. Flame Runner as you say is the best Bike in the game, though I am surprise that Dolphin Dasher is better than Mach Bike, but I don't see people handling it very well. XD
the speed difference between Bullet Bike and Flame Runner is that big.

Bullet Bike used to be the best vehicle until Standstill Miniturbo was discovered , which allows Flame Runners to regain their top speed after being hit as fast as the Bullet Bike.

Dolphin Dasher is better than Mach Bike?

------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal favorite Mario Kart is Mario Kart 64:

it has the best multiplayer experience for me

SNES MK had only GPs , 1v1 battles and races , and becomes quickly boring once you finished 150cc

Double Dash wanted to be too different , the concept of having two people racing in a car is cool but doesnt feel like Kart to me , and thats the game where the blue shell grew wings -_- , the specials on the other hand , were cool , and multiplayer is as great as 64.

Super Circuit is the flat out worst kart game ever. silly attempt to port 64's physics in a 2D game , some tracks were cool but thats it

I never played MKDS.

what makes MKW successful is the infinite replayability that a good wifi gives, but the game has been made too simplistic , I still play it though

ok , I may be a little biased about preferring 64 to Double Dash by nostalgia , but they're both equally good

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Is ROB in Mario Kart DS? If so how do you get him? I know there's one character I haven't unlocked yet and I think it's him..
You have to get 1st Place Gold Trophy on all the tracks in Mirror Mode to unlock ROB.

the speed difference between Bullet Bike and Flame Runner is that big.

Bullet Bike used to be the best vehicle until Standstill Miniturbo was discovered , which allows Flame Runners to regain their top speed after being hit as fast as the Bullet Bike.

Dolphin Dasher is better than Mach Bike?
Ahead of you on that info, lol. Also Dolphin Dasher can recover faster attacked, and thanks to it's acceleration and speed, it's easy to place high with that Bike.

UberMario

Smash Master
Seriously? God that's gonna be hard for an Ed to do. Is ROB even worth it?
What car did you use? I got two-stars/three-stars the first time I tried by using a car that could dodge spiny shells.

Oh and, if you're looking for moreawesome Edd videos to put in your sig, you should do the one from the flood where he acts like a fish. That was my favorite one.
"I AM NEPTUNE, HUH HUH HA!!"

@StinkomanFan: Darn it, WHY does everyone hate MK:SC?!?!?!!!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I guess it's because it's the hardest Mario Kart to ever get a 3-Star rank, lol. Mostly it's because it doesn't have the Mario Kart charm like the rest of them does when it come's to courses.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I have to say about the Mario Kart games.

Super Mario Kart: Season 1. It was released on 9-01-992 (age 1.9 for me). I regret never owning a SNES, because even though this isn't the one most people would call their favorite, it still looks like an excellent game.

Mario Kart 64: Season 2. I think this is where the Wizzrobe rumor took place. You know I want to play as that spellcaster, as soon as possible. It had fewer unlockables, but the gameplay was the best thing about it.

Super Circuit: Season 3. It returned to the 2D style of the first one, and added new hazards to the track environment, but I think it can be agreed that 3D is much better for this series.

Double Dash!!: Season 4. I don't know if I'll ever understand why I like this game so much. They need to bring back the All-Cup Tour real soon. I'm probably the only one here who approves of the cel-shading.

Mario Kart DS: Season 5. The online's biggest problem was the courses. It only let us use 10 new and 10 old tracks! Also, I think the Bullet Bill was over-the top. Maybe it should go half as far. Perhaps it shouldn't knock aside characters. If either or both were the case, it would help out in bringing full balance back to the series. This is otherwise a great game, though.

Arcade GP and GP 2: I've never played these, but does anyone know if the courses in GP 2 are all new, or at least different layouts?

Mario Kart Wii: The online is better, the tracks are really good, and the series' edge hasn't worn away. The next installment should probably be for the DSi. A fan-made game would be nice as well.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Mario kart 64 was the best. You had snaking, the tracks werent as flat as some renditions. you had slipstream plus you fake items had a purpose. That game had the best short cuts that took true skill to go through wario stadium was the best stadium especially in four player where lightining ruled you had to think ahead and conserve your items better. DD was ok. I loved super circuit but mario kart wii or should i say funky bike wii is way too dumb. Blue shells rule the day and there really no incentive to take the lead from the start unless you are facing nublets. Hacker rule online and they dumbed the game down.

UberMario

Smash Master
Mario kart 64 was the best. You had snaking, the tracks werent as flat as some renditions. you had slipstream plus you fake items had a purpose. That game had the best short cuts that took true skill to go through wario stadium was the best stadium especially in four player where lightining ruled you had to think ahead and conserve your items better. DD was ok. I loved super circuit but mario kart wii or should i say funky bike wii is way too dumb. Blue shells rule the day and there really no incentive to take the lead from the start unless you are facing nublets. Hacker rule online and they dumbed the game down.
Finally, someone agrees with me!

Have you played SMK? You didn't mention it in your paragraph.

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
Kart 64 is definatly the best, but I think Kart Wii is still excellent. The wi-fi is the best on any Nintendo system and while snaking was gone, ramps provide a different kind of advanced technique.

And yes, I do use Funky on the Flame Runner :)

UberMario

Smash Master
Kart 64 is definatly the best, but I think Kart Wii is still excellent. The wi-fi is the best on any Nintendo system and while snaking was gone, ramps provide a different kind of advanced technique.

And yes, I do use Funky on the Flame Runner :)
One of the things that I found odd was that stunts were activated by textures other than actually getting airborne.

(Resulting in you being able to do "stunts" on the inner rims of the "8" in Rainbow Road without leaving the ground, yet not being able to do a stunt as you go over the edge of Mushroom Gorge for a shortcut.

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
One of the things that I found odd was that stunts were activated by textures other than actually getting airborne.

(Resulting in you being able to do "stunts" on the inner rims of the "8" in Rainbow Road without leaving the ground, yet not being able to do a stunt as you go over the edge of Mushroom Gorge for a shortcut.
I think that added to the advanced part of gameplay though. Most n00bs will trick off any ramp and not realize that there are smaller hidden ones like the rings on Rainbow Road of the escalator railings in Coconut Mall.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Mario Kart DD was the best imo. I enjoyed the snaking, while it wasn't overpowered and catered to specific karts. The stages were good (I think Wii's beat it though), and I found holding items to be very strategic. I also enjoyed the Cup Tour were you play all 16 courses, and they should bring back character specific items and item rates. The koopa characters for example received shell items more often than other characters while the Kongs received more bananas etc. It's all the little things that i miss.

Thino

Smash Master
I think that added to the advanced part of gameplay though. Most n00bs will trick off any ramp and not realize that there are smaller hidden ones like the rings on Rainbow Road of the escalator railings in Coconut Mall.
or Mario Raceway tunnel

but I still think that Kart Wii's only advantage over other kart game is wifi

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
or Mario Raceway tunnel

but I still think that Kart Wii's only advantage over other kart game is wifi
The wifi is definatly its greatest aspect. However I still dont think people give it enough credit for the skill it takes to win. While I will admit that Blue Shells and Lightning show up WAYYYYYYYYYY too often, there are a few advanced things in the game. I mentioned the stunts earlier, and this Mario Kart also allows you to do turbo boosts to recover from being hit. The feature to look behind you is useful too (although Im not sure if that was exclusive to Kart Wii).

UberMario

Smash Master
The wifi is definatly its greatest aspect. However I still dont think people give it enough credit for the skill it takes to win.
Unfortunately, luck and character/vehicle selection play a bigger role in the outcome.

(Show me one WR that doesn't feature Daisy, Baby Daisy, or Funky)

While I will admit that Blue Shells and Lightning show up WAYYYYYYYYYY too often, there are a few advanced things in the game.
Although true, invisible and glitchy walls take away from the advanced parts of the game. (There are even shortcuts (like at Maple Treeway) where it PENALIZES you for not going the regular way. (Forcing you to retake the lap, even though it was only a third of a lap)

I mentioned the stunts earlier, and this Mario Kart also allows you to do turbo boosts to recover from being hit.
Not necessarily accurate, Mario Kart 64 sped you up using the same method (although it wasn't counted as a boost, it worked in the same way, if not better because the direction you were coming out of was less predictable to your rivals). Mario Kart Double Dash, and DS allowed you to snake right after recovering also.

The feature to look behind you is useful too (although Im not sure if that was exclusive to Kart Wii).
Mirrors were last used in Super Mario Kart, but Mario Kart DS had a "HUD" that showed you incoming items. (Which I liked more than a mirror)

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
LOL I still can't fathom how people can still see competive value in the Mario Kart series. All of the games were aimed at casuals yet MKWii is seens as the only one that do. =/

I mean for Christ's sake, in MK64 you have a good chance to get a Star, Super Mushroom, and Lighting Bolt in SECOND PLACE!

Meanwhile, F-Zero and the Excite series have are much better core racing games and they yet they ALWAYS flop. Why else would Mario Kart have stage rep in Brawl and F-Zero couldn't even snag a second character?

UberMario

Smash Master
LOL I still can't fathom how people can still see competive value in the Mario Kart series. All of the games were aimed at casuals yet MKWii is seens as the only one that do. =/

I mean for Christ's sake, in MK64 you have a good chance to get a Star, Super Mushroom, and Lighting Bolt in SECOND PLACE!

Meanwhile, F-Zero and the Excite series have are much better core racing games and they yet they ALWAYS flop. Why else would Mario Kart have stage rep in Brawl and F-Zero couldn't even snag a second character?
I smell a troll, and most people see Mario Kart Wii as the only one that is casual not the only one that is competitive. (MK64 and SMK are considered the most competitive)

The grumble volcano record uses Baby Mario :)
I was referring to non-glitch records.

(Why is MKWii the only game where tricking the lap counter is acceptable in a record in the series? All other MKs have lap-ticking banned.)

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
I smell a troll, and most people see Mario Kart Wii as the only one that is casual not the only one that is competitive. (MK64 and SMK are considered the most competitive)

(Why is MKWii the only game where tricking the lap counter is acceptable in a record in the series? All other MKs have lap-ticking banned.)
Yeha i hate glitch records too... but I guess Nintendo cant really do anything about it :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like using Dry Bowser on the Flame Runner, now he was the most annoying thing in the game to unlock

Thino

Smash Master
The wifi is definatly its greatest aspect. However I still dont think people give it enough credit for the skill it takes to win. While I will admit that Blue Shells and Lightning show up WAYYYYYYYYYY too often, there are a few advanced things in the game. I mentioned the stunts earlier, and this Mario Kart also allows you to do turbo boosts to recover from being hit. The feature to look behind you is useful too (although Im not sure if that was exclusive to Kart Wii).
It doesnt take much time/practice to be able to do these consistantly , wifi even makes it easier since you see other people doing it.

compared to other MK where figuring out techniques is much harder:

NBT in SMK
snaking in MK64 and MKDS
A-Tech & R-tech in MKDD
ZZMT in MKSC

good luck figuring those out without looking up on the internet

plus they actually made a difference compared to those who dont use them

Although true, invisible and glitchy walls take away from the advanced parts of the game. (There are even shortcuts (like at Maple Treeway) where it PENALIZES you for not going the regular way. (Forcing you to retake the lap, even though it was only a third of a lap)
shortcuts dont affect much the "advanced" part of the game , especially because most people (those that do not care about VR) avoid taking the bigger ones ( Grumble Volcano , Mushroom Gorge ) and normal ones takes little practice.

advanced part of the game revolves much more item use than driving skills .

hey, so far the only real competitivity there was before MKDS were Time Trials.
only MKDS and MKW could be considered competitive.

I guess people are more attracted to randomness :laugh:
as much as a Fzero with online would be cool , it would be quickly boring, personally.

because they didnt reach ******** levels like SMK or MKSC

UberMario

Smash Master
shortcuts dont affect much the "advanced" part of the game , especially because most people (those that do not care about VR) avoid taking the bigger ones ( Grumble Volcano , Mushroom Gorge ) and normal ones takes little practice.
Define "normal." If you mean ones that were dead give-aways (like the staircase in Daisy Circuit) or corner-cutters, why would those require practice? They have so much leeway in terms of how you do them.

advanced part of the game revolves much more item use than driving skills .
How is that advanced? There's almost no strategy at all because the items are constantly being beaten out of you by Spinies, Lightning, and POW Blocks.

Also, have you ever done 1 vs. 1 on MKDS? Now that's REAL item strategy.

(Banana-camping, item-camping, stopping to get a better item)

The last one's really awesome to me, because your timing has to be perfect in order to win.

hey, so far the only real competitivity there was before MKDS were Time Trials.
only MKDS and MKW could be considered competitive.
Tournaments constantly popped up for SMK and MK64.
Why would MKWii be considered competitive? I'm not trying to upset you, I just want your opinion on how it's competitive.

I guess people are more attracted to randomness :laugh:
SMK, MK64, MKSC, and MKDS were NOT utter randomness, and NKDD was only randomness on Baby Park (one of the best tracks if a driver using Bowser was in the lead. Bowser Shells are awesome there)

as much as a Fzero with online would be cool , it would be quickly boring, personally.
I haven't played F-Zero, so I'm not sure if I agree or disagree.

because they didnt reach ******** levels like SMK or MKSC
Grumble Volcano and Mushroom Gorge don't apply here?

Woohoo! 500th post! and it's so appropriate considering my avatar!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So I'm trolling because I'm ripping on something you like? =/

Maybe you didn't comprehend what I wrote.

ALL MARIO KART GAMES ARE CATERED TOWARDS CASUALS!

And for god's sake, the items were broken in MK64 and SMK:
The feather in SMK
And the fact you could get a Star, Lighting Bolt, Super Mushroom in MK64.

I think people rip on MKWii the most because it has 'Wii' in the title.

UberMario

Smash Master
So I'm trolling because I'm ripping on something you like? =/
No, it's because you're obviously trying to either annoy or insult people that like Mario Kart for the SKILL it takes in certain games.

Maybe you didn't comprehend what I wrote.

ALL MARIO KART GAMES ARE CATERED TOWARDS CASUALS!
Did you 3-Star MKSC? or MKDS?

And for god's sake, the items were broken in MK64 and SMK:
The feather in SMK
And the fact you could get a Star, Lighting Bolt, Super Mushroom in MK64.
The feather didn't appear as often as you imply, and the Mushroom was ALMOST useless in MK64 (unless you're referring to the Golden Mushroom), and the MK64 Lightning Bolt and Star were the most fun varaints in the series and were on the rare side. Why don't you see the MKWii Spiny or Bullet as broken?

I think people rip on MKWii the most because it has 'Wii' in the title.
Once again, it's way more broken/casual than any of the others. (It's the only game in the series where being second is smarter than being in first.)

I had fun 3-Star'ing MKSC and MKDS, but I just can't bring myself to 3-Star MKWii (or play it at all, even with it's awesome wi-fi quality)

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ GreenKirby has a strong point. Mario Kart is mostly on the casual gamers side since the first Mario Kart. Just that there are some people that want to play the game competitive, since most casual game aren't meant to be played competitive, the rules just doesn't fit the enjoyment of the game. Mario Party for example, this game was never meant to be competitive, but there are some who want's to just play the mini games and make a rule of winning, and see how it flows. Enjoyment for those who want a strange challenge, but a sad look for those who play the game for fun only, not for winning. ♥

Overload

Smash Lord
I've only played the SNES one for a few minutes, and I'd like to pick up a copy one day. I grew up with the 64 version, and I enjoy it. I had a pretty good time with Double Dash, though I don't own it. I really love MKDS, especially once I got snaking down to a science. I'm not crazy about the Wii version from what I've played of it. I've never played the GBA or arcade ones.

KROE

Smash Cadet
Mario Kart! :p I wuv Mario Kart:p

Mario Kart on the SNES, was beautiful, and Mario Kart 64 wasn't too bad either. I can't wait for the next one to come out! =3

Thino

Smash Master
Define "normal." If you mean ones that were dead give-aways (like the staircase in Daisy Circuit) or corner-cutters, why would those require practice? They have so much leeway in terms of how you do them.
no , by normal I mean SC like TF,MG (pit jump) , BC3 or N64BC

How is that advanced? There's almost no strategy at all because the items are constantly being beaten out of you by Spinies, Lightning, and POW Blocks.

Also, have you ever done 1 vs. 1 on MKDS? Now that's REAL item strategy.

(Banana-camping, item-camping, stopping to get a better item)

The last one's really awesome to me, because your timing has to be perfect in order to win.
I never played MKDS , but by the names you mentioned , I can tell you that most of those strats also exist in MKW
especially getting back to get better items.

I dont know how its done in MKDS , but its not that you can just stop randomly on last lap and get 1st place.

there are some item "rules" that the game always follow and that are also used to detect hackers in races

for example:
-there can be only one MegaShroom , Shock(Lightning), Bullet Bill , Thundercloud ,POW , Blooper at one time in a race
-there can be one blue shell in the air while another is being held but not more.
-theres a set time before first appearance of these power items and a time before they can appear again
example: the first lightning takes 30 seconds before first appearance and 25 seconds before it appears again after being used.
-you will get a single mushroom on the 10th item box you hit regardless of your position
-when an item isnt available ( someone else is holding it or has just been used) it will not appear in your item roulette when you hit an item box

from those strategy focuses mainly "shockdodging" :
- predicting when someone is gonna get or has already gotten a lightning by item roulette and timer
- predicting when that person will use the lightning depending if that person is a button masher , wants to get rid of lightning before the next set of item boxes , targets the person in first ( or someone else in particular ) , wants nobody to use power items to take the track's shortcut or shock mindgames , to use power items to dodge it (stars , megas , bullet bills)
- of course an experienced player that gets the will know that people will try to dodge the shock as , in a 12 players room , up to 6 players can dodge a bad shock.
so it becomes a race about can predict each other better.

and "mushroom holding" which consists mainly into reaching first place with mushroom(s) to be able to dodge Blue Shells

along Thundercloud sticking , Thundercloud offrooad glitch , Mushroom curse and other things..

you'd be surprised at how much luck factor decreases in those kind of races

ps: POW isnt a scary item , you just have to slow down when done on dangerous curves.
Tournaments constantly popped up for SMK and MK64.
Why would MKWii be considered competitive? I'm not trying to upset you, I just want your opinion on how it's competitive.
its because SMK and MK64 was mostly local , compared to MKDS and MKW that have wifi , allowing them to be more widespread in terms of rules and strategy

plus MKW is not as utter randomness as you seem to imply.
SMK, MK64, MKSC, and MKDS were NOT utter randomness, and NKDD was only randomness on Baby Park (one of the best tracks if a driver using Bowser was in the lead. Bowser Shells are awesome there)
neither is MKW , thats the slight randomness I'm talking about
Grumble Volcano and Mushroom Gorge don't apply here?
nope they're respectively 20 seconds and 40 seconds , thats not exactly the same type of lap tricking than in 2D MKs and they're still over 10 seconds

Top Bottom