• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

UberMario

Smash Master
Bikes aren't broken, karts are simply nerfed to the point where bikes seem broken. Bikes would be a useful addition if they were slightly harder to use and karts were better than they are. But the sheer imbalance between the two is just ridiculous. Even though I use Rosalina with her bike, I still wish the bikes had a higher learning curve so they'd seem more worth it to be so amazingly good.
If they out-perform karts on both straightaways AND corners, then they're broken.
I prefer karts, but my lap times with bikes are 3 SECONDS faster, which is the difference between winning and losing online. (If items weren't so much a factor)

It's kind of ironic, the more variety they put into Mario Kart, (bikes, individual character stats, etc.) the less you will actually see variety.

On Mario Kart DS, all characters can fit into all karts and have virtually no effect on how their karts handle. I wish Mario Kart Wii didn't have individual character stats (ESPECIALLY Speed Stats, which is why Funky and Daisy are spammed infinitely online.)

day-day

Smash Ace
^^First post is about MK64! Awesome!

Double Dash was really boring IMO. There was nothing fun about it in any aspect for me. The doubles mechanic was useless, and gave you another reason to hate your little sister when she made you come in last place. There should be NO teamwork in the MK series, except for in battle mode. Double Dash killed this title forever. MKDS was nice because it did an adequate job of bringing the feel of MK64 to a handheld system, which was needed desperately.

Another OK title that is often overlooked is Mario Kart: Advanced Circuit for GBA. Anybody played and enjoyed this one? I liked it. The GBA graphics made it feel a lot like the SNES MK. That's why I like MKDS and MKAC: they bring the feel of the first two to a portable platform! Amazing!

I agree about double dash. It sounded like a good idea at first but then it crashed and burned. Maybe if they expanded on the concept more it would have worked better. If they do make another double dash their gonna need more then just two characters on a vehicle that can throw two things at someone else.

toon_marth

Smash Ace

I agree about double dash. It sounded like a good idea at first but then it crashed and burned. Maybe if they expanded on the concept more it would have worked better. If they do make another double dash their gonna need more then just two characters on a vehicle that can throw two things at someone else.
Exactly. It's totally pointless.

"Oooh! Throw that shell at them!"

"Who, them? *throws*"

"NO, them! Daisy and peach!"

"What? Where are they?"

It's so dumb and ridiculous. There's nothing fun about that! :mad:

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Really? Double Dash had outstanding reviews, an interesting gimmick, and excellent controls. Then fun in Mario Kart is playing with friends, I'm sure Double Dash was boring to you because you had no one to play with.

People don't hate 64 because they were young, it entertained them, they can't point out the many flaws because it was an older game. MK Wii has impressive multiplayer, so nobody can really rag on that, and that leaves Double Dash with all of the ****.

day-day

Smash Ace
Really? Double Dash had outstanding reviews, an interesting gimmick, and excellent controls. Then fun in Mario Kart is playing with friends, I'm sure Double Dash was boring to you because you had no one to play with.

People don't hate 64 because they were young, it entertained them, they can't point out the many flaws because it was an older game. MK Wii has impressive multiplayer, so nobody can really rag on that, and that leaves Double Dash with all of the ****.
Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it that much. All I had to play with was my brother and he hardly ever wanted to play the gamecube. Controls were good though I'll give it that.
I only got to play 64 once and that was almost 7 years ago. Would like to play it again though.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it that much. All I had to play with was my brother and he hardly ever wanted to play the gamecube. Controls were good though I'll give it that.
I only got to play 64 once and that was almost 7 years ago. Would like to play it again though.
I actually had the chance to play with quite a few friends, and enjoyed it. A lot. It's a very good game if you like Mario Kart in general, one of the best racers out there. Though I will admit the tracks weren't as exciting.

UberMario

Smash Master

The speed and balanced item system is what makes MK64 so fun.

MKWii has impressive multiplayer? You must have not noticed that SNES Mario Circuit 1 has more turns in a race during SMK then Rainbow Road does in MKWii. Spiny Shells every lap AND in Battle mode are what makes me find MKWii far worse than any of the others.

(I once had 30 coins, then I was charged with 8 spiny shells DURING BATTLE, needless to say all the bombing made my team lose.)

toon_marth

Smash Ace

MKWii has impressive multiplayer? You must have not noticed that SNES Mario Circuit 1 has more turns in a race during SMK then Rainbow Road does in MKWii. Spiny Shells every lap AND in Battle mode are what makes me find MKWii far worse than any of the others.

(I once had 30 coins, then I was charged with 8 spiny shells DURING BATTLE, needless to say all the bombing made my team lose.)
All my friends hate me when it's my turn to choose the track. I always choose rainbow road. Rosalina owns that stage with the standard bike.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Not what a meant. Mario Kart Wii is by far the most favorite because of all the improvements, most notably Wi-Fi.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm just curious, what do you mean improvements? (Besides Wi-Fi)
No gameplay improvements, I'm talking about characters, the addition of bikes, newer stages, better graphics.

§leepy God

Smash Master

I wouldn't call Mario Kart 64 balanced, late time I checked getting a Star, Golden Mushroom in first place wasn't balanced at all, lol. Also there was a great amount of glitches in MK64, you also have to count that. Let's not forget Toad's Turnpike when you play computers on that stage at Mirror mode, notice that they won't get hit if you don't see them, and good luck hitting them with a Red Shell or a Spiny Shell, those items were crap on that stage if you want to win. The speed is alright, but the third slowest of the rest of the Mario Kart's, (while Double Dash being the fastest).

About the new Spiny Shells, it's about time that Spiny Shells were reliable, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Super Circuit Spiny Shells was just like Red Shell, but only worst because they only go after the one in first, but there's too many was to dodge the ground. I'm glad they fix that in Double Dash and above, though still ways to dodge them, but at least they are fast enough to catch the first place. The odds of you getting hit with a Spiny Shell on MKW on balanced item pick would be once a race, getting hit twice or more is a rarity. Putting item pick on aggressive, you will get hit with more than four Spiny Shells, plus other items. I would agree that Spiny Shells on Battle was a bad idea though they only appear in coin battle. The only thing I have beef with on Mario Kart Wii is that Bikes are too broken, oh why did they make such a interesting idea so unbalanced? T_T

Playing with Kart's is more funner anyways.

UberMario

Smash Master
The Sleepy One, I was talking about the multiplayer aspect, not the single player.
Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Super Circuit are way faster than Double Dash.

(Also the fact that CPUs don't get hit by trucks when offscreen is in MKWii as well.)

Spiny Shells are still way too common in Wii, at least in MKDS you can dodge them.
I prefer the older spiny shells more because if you're in last, there really isn't any use to you.

My main issues with MKWii are:
-Spiny Shells and Lightning in Battle
-POW Blocks getting rid of items (and strategy)
-The "fixed" powerslide mechanic.
-Bikes being too good.
-Daisy and Funky being too good. (I was driving as Mario in a mach bike online and I'm passed on a straightway by a Daisy on a mach bike. That's ridiculous)
-Battle mode not being about survival.
-Tracks lacking in difficulty/turns.
-The utter slowness of the vehicles.
-VR Rankings being ridiculously biased (Dominate a race and get hit by a spiny at the end, and you get penalized. What the heck?)

§leepy God

Smash Master
The Sleepy One, I was talking about the multiplayer aspect, not the single player.
Sorry, my bad. ^_^;

Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Super Circuit are way faster than Double Dash.
Oh joy, you gave me something to do in my life.

It only seems like that because of the courses are smaller in SMK and MKSC. And MKDD has Snaking and drift boost, the reason why I said it's faster.

(Also the fact that CPUs don't get hit by trucks when offscreen is in MKWii as well.)
Not true, on Moonview Highway I was in dead last, at first, then I looked at the map and saw some computers being hit on the map. In MK64 they just race off without trouble if they are off screen.

Spiny Shells are still way too common in Wii, at least in MKDS you can dodge them.
Do you play with items on aggressive? If so, that's the reason. I would be shocked to see one Spiny Shell in a race, let alone two if on balanced. Putting the items on Statistic will make the race boring as hell, but you'll be lucky to see one Spiny Shell.

I prefer the older spiny shells more because if you're in last, there really isn't any use to you.
LMAO, that's last sentence was like saying **** you to a casual gamer or a character that really needs items. XD

Let's say someone mains the best character in the game, and you can't stop him/her because they are too fast, your only resort is for items, but wait what's this? You can't stop him because most times won't except for Lightning, but that hit's nearly everybody screwing up everyone that might have a chance to take out the guy in first. If the new Spiny Shells didn't exist, we would have a major unbalanced in every Mario Kart because everyone would main small racers.

My main issues with MKWii are:
-Spiny Shells and Lightning in Battle
-POW Blocks getting rid of items (and strategy)
-The "fixed" powerslide mechanic.
-Bikes being too good.
-Daisy and Funky being too good. (I was driving as Mario in a mach bike online and I'm passed on a straightway by a Daisy on a mach bike. That's ridiculous)
-Battle mode not being about survival.
-Tracks lacking in difficulty/turns.
-The utter slowness of the vehicles.
-VR Rankings being ridiculously biased (Dominate a race and get hit by a spiny at the end, and you get penalized. What the heck?)
-Lightning is nothing to sniffle about, all they do is shrink you and drop your items, they don't damage you. Spiny Shells are only in Coin Battle, and there's not many people who would play Coin Battle, not to mention that Spiny Shells come rarely in Coin Battle

-Pow Blocks are a problem if you hold an item, but Pow Blocks mostly helps the person who performs a trick when getting hit, making you not lose your speed all the way.

-I guess I could agree with you there. But they have a reason of fixing it, because of the Wii Wheel. If you try to press buttons to powerslide on the Wii Wheel... well call it impossible. XD

-I agree with you there

-Add Baby Daisy and I will agree with you there again.

-Does this really bother people? I thought it was alright to base it off of points instead of "I'm scared, I want to run the whole time and take more than 10 min to finished", but I guess that's just me.

-Lack of difficulty? Are we not playing the same game? Last time I noticed, playing Bowser's Castle was near impossible to complete in first to me when I first played. Also Wii Wheel is also the reason for the not many turns in this game, still don't see that being a problem.

-You lost me there.

-The VR only becomes crazier if you have a lot of points. Other than that, I see no biased in there, all I see is that you got tripped up by an item, and lost because of that item.

Sorry to quote you again, but seeing how Mario Kart Wii is strongly unappreciated because it's not the same as other Mario Kart's is really too common.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Oh Lord, don't debate with Sleepy on video games, it will never end. >.<

Anyways, I'm about to replay all the Mario Kart's and see which one's have my favroite sound track.

UberMario

Smash Master
It only seems like that because of the courses are smaller in SMK and MKSC. And MKDD has Snaking and drift boost, the reason why I said it's faster.
MK64 and MKDS still feel faster than DD, though.

Not true, on Moonview Highway I was in dead last, at first, then I looked at the map and saw some computers being hit on the map. In MK64 they just race off without trouble if they are off screen.
Go park and wait for all the cpus to finish the race during GP.

Do you play with items on aggressive? If so, that's the reason. I would be shocked to see one Spiny Shell in a race, let alone two if on balanced. Putting the items on Statistic will make the race boring as hell, but you'll be lucky to see one Spiny Shell.
On Wi-Fi, the only way I can win is by staying in second until the last moment possible.
150cc is a nightmare because of all the spinies.

LMAO, that's last sentence was like saying **** you to a casual gamer or a character that really needs items. XD
I meant that the new shells are useless to the person in last.

Let's say someone mains the best character in the game, and you can't stop him/her because they are too fast, your only resort is for items, but wait what's this? You can't stop him because most times won't except for Lightning, but that hit's nearly everybody screwing up everyone that might have a chance to take out the guy in first. If the new Spiny Shells didn't exist, we would have a major unbalanced in every Mario Kart because everyone would main small racers.
Except Spiny Shells should be able to (potentially) hit everyone like the old ones.

-Lightning is nothing to sniffle about, all they do is shrink you and drop your items, they don't damage you. Spiny Shells are only in Coin Battle, and there's not many people who would play Coin Battle, not to mention that Spiny Shells come rarely in Coin Battle

-Pow Blocks are a problem if you hold an item, but Pow Blocks mostly helps the person who performs a trick when getting hit, making you not lose your speed all the way.

-I guess I could agree with you there. But they have a reason of fixing it, because of the Wii Wheel. If you try to press buttons to powerslide on the Wii Wheel... well call it impossible. XD

-I agree with you there

-Add Baby Daisy and I will agree with you there again.

-Does this really bother people? I thought it was alright to base it off of points instead of "I'm scared, I want to run the whole time and take more than 10 min to finished", but I guess that's just me.

-Lack of difficulty? Are we not playing the same game? Last time I noticed, playing Bowser's Castle was near impossible to complete in first to me when I first played. Also Wii Wheel is also the reason for the not many turns in this game, still don't see that being a problem.

-You lost me there.

-The VR only becomes crazier if you have a lot of points. Other than that, I see no biased in there, all I see is that you got tripped up by an item, and lost because of that item.
Lightning = No defense from any red shells thrown beforehand = Cheap Shot

POW Blocks get rid of all strategy. (Banana camping, lightning timing, red shell comboing, etc.)

Mario Kart Wii would be EXTREMELY entertaining if you had to swivel the wheel to powerslide. (Kept doing that at the start do to habit)

OK

OK

I don't play MKWii battle because it lost all of the excitement. The original battle mode made Mario Kart a first-person shooter.

Rainbow Road has 6 turns. That's sad, at least DS' was coated in jumps and boost pads.

*Dominates a whole race.* Looks like I'm going to win. I've got a banana behind me, and a shell in the item box. Looks like I'm clear.
*Get's hit by POW Block*
Oh well.
*Gets hit by Red Shell*
Darn it.
*Gets hit by a lightning AND a spiny shell directly after, and is passed by three people*
Well I dominated
*Loses 40 poits*
What the . . . . .?

Sorry to quote you again, but seeing how Mario Kart Wii is strongly unappreciated because it's not the same as other Mario Kart's is really too common.
It's really over-simplified compared to the others, that's why people don't like it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Too bad the friend could just sit down and throw items until you switched.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Oh yea, I remember that. Co-Op play on Double Dash was far too complex for me, lol. So far I'm currently playing Super Mario Kart of find out what song I like best. I'm pretty sure it's Rainbow Road, but I'll double check. =P

UberMario

Smash Master
My favorite songs from each game:

SNES
-Rainbow Road
-Mario Circuit
-Donut Plains

N64
-Toad's Turnpike
-Circuit
-Bowser's Castle

GBA
-Lakeside Park
-Circuit
-Ribbon Road

GCN
-Stadium
-Battle
-Bowser's Castle

DS
-Airship Fortress
-Bowser's Castle
-Boss Battle

Wii
-Boss Battle
-Koopa Cape
-Bowser's Castle

POKE40

Smash Lord
SNES: Never played it :(

N64: The classic. I like all their stages.

GBA: Was difficult >_>

GCN: Was fun but got boring as the years went along

DS: :D wifi. <3 a lot of content.

Wii: Best wifi experience on Wii <3 other than that :/

UberMario

Smash Master
Poke40, if you thought the GBA one was difficult, SNES is about 30% harder! (Super Mario Kart is the hardest in the series, it's bordering on ridiculous but in a good way, GBA is the second hardest only because you can outrun the red shells in a perfect run. Otherwise they're nearly equal in difficulty.)

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that thinks MK:DD is the best game in the series?

It was definately a game to sit down with a friend or a few friends with, which Mario Kart Wii is not.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If you play 4 player on one system on Mario Kart Wii then something's wrong, it's best to get at least four different Wii's and play it like over wifi or the gameplay will lag. Mario Kart Double Dash is interesting to play until you play half the stages and want to go to Battle Mode, then after that you'll play another game.

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that thinks MK:DD is the best game in the series?

It was definately a game to sit down with a friend or a few friends with, which Mario Kart Wii is not.
While MKDD isnt my favorite Kart game (my order is 64, DS, Wii, GC, SNES, GBA) I think it has the best battle mode. Ballon Battle is better than ever and I would spend hours playing Shine Runners and Bomb omb Blast with my friends. I also like the 2-people-per-kart thing. I just feel that the other Mario Karts had better tracks and more appealing options.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina jumpsuit=rawr.

Does it make me somewhat traitorous that I:

1. Main Pacman in MKAGP?
2. Liked Double Dash? (Primarily because it was one of the best things on the Cube)

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
2. Liked Double Dash? (Primarily because it was one of the best things on the Cube)
People really need to stop hating Double Dash. Like I said before, it has the best battle mode in the series. It also introduced Toadette, and featured many other characters for the first time in a Mario Kart game. While it doesnt have too many great tracks, Mushroom Bridge, Mushroom City, DK Mountain, Wario Colosseum, and some other tracks are classics.

id really like to hear a concrete reason why Double Dash sucks instead of just "I dont like it".

(sorry if I sound angry with anyone, Im not trying to mock anyones opinions, I just want a reason why its the worst :p)

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart Double Dash is interesting to play until you play all the stages and want to play all 16 stages over again, then repeat what you just did 100000000x times.
fixed

yea i agree

mkdd vs is amazing

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Mario Kart Double Dash is my second favroite Mario Kart, (mainly because of Toadette), just the characters specials, and chaotic racing field made me love it. If that game would had wifi, I would love it even more. The reason why MKW is my favroite because wifi + Toadette + Magic Cruiser = YES!

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
People really need to stop hating Double Dash. Like I said before, it has the best battle mode in the series. It also introduced Toadette, and featured many other characters for the first time in a Mario Kart game. While it doesnt have too many great tracks, Mushroom Bridge, Mushroom City, DK Mountain, Wario Colosseum, and some other tracks are classics.

id really like to hear a concrete reason why Double Dash sucks instead of just "I dont like it".

(sorry if I sound angry with anyone, Im not trying to mock anyones opinions, I just want a reason why its the worst :p)

I think it was just because they tried to innovate something that didn't need to be innovated. That, and the true lack of original stages made it probably the MK with the least replay value.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I think Funky+Flame Runner=Best combonation in MKWii. Its so fast!
I thought it would be Baby Daisy with the Built Bike since lightweights are very easy to use and heavyweights are more complex. Daisy with the Mach Bike is in between easy and hard to use compere with the Baby Daisy and Funky Kong.

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
I think it was just because they tried to innovate something that didn't need to be innovated. That, and the true lack of original stages made it probably the MK with the least replay value.
I agree, the game definatly lacked in the track area. Its nice to hear a reason why people dont like DD as much as other MK games. I still think Super Circuit is the worst though. its alot of fun, but I never liked the coin concept and I also didnt like the new stages that much.

Top Bottom